Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Defense round 2
(02-26-2020, 12:31 PM)Synric Wrote: I think you taking the comparisons way to literal...Queen shows alot of things to like on tape speed quickness physicality instincts very nice punch for a smaller guy. I could argue that he was the second best defender on the LSU defense ahead of Delpit, Fulton, and Chaisson (behind only Stingley). His biggest issue right now is just getting more playing time since he was really only the starter for part of the season.

But if you have to have a player comparison Zeirlin has him compared to very good long time Panther linebacker (Chargers in 2019) Thomas Davis.

I'm not hung up on player comps at all.  However, if someone is going to constantly rely on player comps to defend a prospect,, then it's only fair to point out that the cited players aren't really that good.

Queen has good traits, but he's a project player through and through.  Much like Devin White, he's a better athlete than football player and we all saw how that turned out.  There is nothing about this kid that says plug and play LB, and if you're taking a LB at 33, they need to be a plug and play player.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2020, 12:31 PM)Synric Wrote: I think you taking the comparisons way to literal...Queen shows alot of things to like on tape speed quickness physicality instincts very nice punch for a smaller guy. I could argue that he was the second best defender on the LSU defense ahead of Delpit, Fulton, and Chaisson (behind only Stingley). His biggest issue right now is just getting more playing time since he was really only the starter for part of the season.

But if you have to have a player comparison Zeirlin has him compared to very good long time Panther linebacker (Chargers in 2019) Thomas Davis.

Patrick Queen is a baller and will take your head off and he comes after you all game,dude is a baller and he is a August born man and those guys almost always have the killer instint and will play to win,they never quit,let me give you some august born guys,Anthony Munoz,Boomer Eaisen,A.J.Green and of course MR. six superbowls Tom Brady.I am telling you these guys are ballers at all costs.I know because I am one of them and I study this stuff and it makes a difference.Believe me and they are going Defense with picks 2,3,4 unless someone from the offensive side just has to come to us.They are going to fix our D this draft.WHO-DEY FANS.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2020, 05:57 PM)fortyyearfan Wrote: Patrick Queen is a baller and will take your head off and he comes after you all game,dude is a baller and he is a August born man and those guys almost always have the killer instint and will play to win,they never quit,let me give you some august born guys,Anthony Munoz,Boomer Eaisen,A.J.Green and of course MR. six superbowls Tom Brady.I am telling you these guys are ballers at all costs.I know because I am one of them and I study this stuff and it makes a difference.Believe me and they are going Defense with picks 2,3,4 unless someone from the offensive side just has to come to us.They are going to fix our D this draft.WHO-DEY FANS.

Ray Lewis was born in May.  It doesn't get much more "killer instinct" than him.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2020, 06:57 PM)Whatever Wrote: Ray Lewis was born in May.  It doesn't get much more "killer instinct" than him.

Yeah! He LITERALLY killed a guy!
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2020, 08:16 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: Yeah! He LITERALLY killed a guy!

Well, allegedly...but yeah, he killed a guy, lol.

Of course, Aaron Hernandez was born in November.  If you absolutely have to have that TD and don't care if someone has to pull a Last Boy Scout to get in the end zone,he's your man.
Reply/Quote
I get a feeling that linebacker won't be in the mix in round 2. Not unless something crazy happens and Simmons or Murray are still available.

I believe the team when they send out hints that they are seeking to restock talent at both DE and corner. I'd be really surprised is the pick is not a corner, pass rusher, or receiver.
Reply/Quote
(02-29-2020, 06:08 PM)samhain Wrote: I get a feeling that linebacker won't be in the mix in round 2.  Not unless something crazy happens and Simmons or Murray are still available.  

I believe the team when they send out hints that they are seeking to restock talent at both DE and corner.  I'd be really surprised is the pick is not a corner, pass rusher, or receiver.

That's fine too, but I dont really want terrel lewis at 33. He has upside but has has several injuries and hasnt really had a chance to develop any moves other than the chop.
Reply/Quote
I agree our defense needs work but if im drafting the best QB to come out in years I am going to protect him.A few offensive lineman to protect him and open holes for Mixon should be their priority.
Reply/Quote
The 40 times for the LB class seem pretty fast, across the board. Zack Baun being the "slowpoke", at 4.65.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2020-nfl-combine-results-live-updates-draft-workouts-40-yard-dash-times-for-isaiah-simmons-dls-and-lbs/live/

Quote:Notable official 40-yard dash times
LB Isaiah Simmons: 4.39
LB Willie Gay Jr.: 4.46
LB Davion Taylor: 4.49
LB Patrick Queen: 4.50
LB Shaun Bradley: 4.51
LB Kenneth Murray: 4.52
LB Jordyn Brooks: 4.54
LB Zack Baun: 4.65

EDGE James Smith-Williams: 4.60
EDGE Jabari Zuniga: 4.64
EDGE Alton Robinson: 4.69
EDGE Alex Highsmith: 4.70
EDGE D.J. Wonnum: 4.73
EDGE Derrek Tuszka: 4.79
EDGE A.J. Epenesa: 5.04

DL Khalil Davis: 4.75
DL Neville Gallimore: 4.79
DL Carlos Davis: 4.82
DL Justin Madiubuike: 4.83
DL Malcolm Roach: 4.84
DL Ross Blalock: 4.90
DL Robert Windsor: 4.90
DL Marlon Davidson: 5.04
DL Derrick Brown: 5.16

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-29-2020, 08:15 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: That's fine too, but I dont really want terrel lewis at 33. He has upside but has has several injuries and hasnt really had a chance to develop any moves other than the chop.

Yeah, not a fan, either.  I don't like gambling on high upside hurt dudes.  I want guys that can get on the field.  If he fell to the 3rd, then maybe, but not at 33.  

I like Anae, Greenard, even Baun (though he might be more of a linebacker), or any of Gross-Matos, Epenesa, or Chiasson that might fall.  

I feel like the pick will be Baun or Arnette, to be honest.  That or a receiver. 
Reply/Quote
(02-29-2020, 06:08 PM)samhain Wrote: I get a feeling that linebacker won't be in the mix in round 2.  Not unless something crazy happens and Simmons or Murray are still available.  

I believe the team when they send out hints that they are seeking to restock talent at both DE and corner.  I'd be really surprised is the pick is not a corner, pass rusher, or receiver.

Hobson is indicating a QB of the Defense type player so I don't think there not thinking about LB.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2020, 01:50 AM)J24 Wrote: Hobson is indicating a QB of the Defense type player so I don't think there not thinking about LB.

QB of the defense could be a LB or a Safety.  If one of the top shelf Safeties is there, like maybe a Grant Delpit, I'd be equally satisfied as I would with one of the top LBs.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Players Id take at 33.

Queen, Murray, Blacklock, Baun, Arnette, Delpit, Diggs, Lewis and Im sure there's more but any of those dudes would seem like upgrades to the D.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2020, 09:30 AM)bengaloo Wrote: Players Id take at 33.

Queen, Murray, Blacklock, Baun, Arnette, Delpit, Diggs, Lewis and Im sure there's more but any of those dudes would seem like upgrades the D.

I do not want lewis at 33. Any of those other players I can get excited about.

Laviska is getting surgery on a core muscle he injured at the combine. He may fall out of the first.

So what if we snag a 2nd from the bears and laviska falls to us and we get him and Lewis is there when we pick. I think I'm more ok with that than lewis at 33.
Reply/Quote
Queen Blacklock Gladley in that order
Reply/Quote
This defense needs a Isiah Simmons/ Derwin James
Type player that can make plays from all 3 levels
Who was the last true playmaker field changer
This defense had ??
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2020, 04:58 PM)impactplaya Wrote: This defense needs a Isiah Simmons/ Derwin James
Type player that can make plays from all 3 levels
Who was the last true playmaker field changer
This defense had ??

Not getting any of those guys. Players like Queen, zach Baun, Kenneth Murray or ev ed n Terrel Lewis could grow into that kind of player. 

I'm sure there might be some players in later rounds who could be that guy too.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2020, 01:59 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: QB of the defense could be a LB or a Safety.  If one of the top shelf Safeties is there, like maybe a Grant Delpit, I'd be equally satisfied as I would with one of the top LBs.

I'd be pretty happy with Delipit, but doubt he's there.  Never know, I guess.  Murray is really the only LB that fits the bill and warrant that high of a pick.  He's likely to be gone, too.
Reply/Quote
(02-29-2020, 06:08 PM)samhain Wrote: I get a feeling that linebacker won't be in the mix in round 2. Not unless something crazy happens and Simmons or Murray are still available.

I believe the team when they send out hints that they are seeking to restock talent at both DE and corner. I'd be really surprised is the pick is not a corner, pass rusher, or receiver.

Agreed. It's not a premium position - I know this isn't a popular opinion round this parts because when linebacker play has been so poor but it can be upgraded later in the draft, whereas edge or corner will be harder to do that.
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2020, 11:42 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: Assuming the bengals are going to address the defensive problems starting in round 2, I think they will have a lot of talented players to choose from. I think we will all be satisfied if they pick any of these guys:

Patrick Queen who is a 3 down linebacker
Kenneth Murray who has incredible sideline to sideline speed.
Ross blacklock, a raw talent who could develop into a foundation piece to the defensive line after Atkins.
Damon Arnette, a solid DB with good ball skills.

Do not sleep on Zach Baun. Lou Anarumo plays a hybrid defense and he needs a edge/lb who can shift positions depending on what front they want to show. He can rush the passer standing up or down, drop into coverage, set the edge and help stop the run. He did all of that at Wisconson and Lou will put a premium on a guy who can do it naturally. Absolutely do not be surprised if Zach is the pick at 33.

It's a nice list, but I don't think the top 3 will be there and I don't think there's any way I would touch Arnette that early.  
Reply/Quote