Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Defensive Improvements
(06-01-2021, 07:28 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Lou Anarumo is many things but “brilliant” he is not.  His defenses so far have been less than impressive especially against the run.  This is the NFL and the injury factor on the defensive line should be almost negligible.

Backup players should know how to shed blocks and tackle correctly; I see a fundamentals problem, not an injury issue.  

With that said, Lou has assembled an impressive defensive roster for 2021 and if this iteration of the Cincinnati defense fails it’s all on him.

Who told you that? Just about every analyst I have ever heard discuss it says the drop off between starter and #1 backup should not be much at all, but if you get deeper than that on the depth chart you are in real trouble. Last year our D line was playing guys off the street because we had gone through the whole depth chart. You want to criticize Lou, great, there are plenty of things to legitimately criticize, but that is just a ridiculous statement.
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2021, 07:28 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote:   This is the NFL and the injury factor on the defensive line should be almost negligible.

Backup players should know how to shed blocks and tackle correctly; I see a fundamentals problem, not an injury issue.  

Since the difference between starters and back ups is "negligible" I guess this is why NFL teams don't pay their starters much more money at all than their backups. Rolleyes

I mean, why pay more for starters when back ups are just as good, right?
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2021, 07:20 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: ^^^ If you just want to say he did "fine" or "ok" in that first Ravens game, I could roll with that. I'm just stuck on the word "brilliant". Also, I can't just give Lou a free pass for that 2nd game, just because we had some injuries. Lots of teams have dealt with tons of injuries and not given up 4 bills on the ground.

The injury excuse also doesn't hold water when his defense has allowed 215+ rushing yards 6 other times and 250+ yards 3 other times. The trio of 250+ yard disasters all happened in 2019. Can we blame injuries for those as well?

They held the reigning MVP to one of his worst games of his career. Call it what you want but that's mission accomplished from the Defense's point of view.  
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2021, 06:04 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I agree with what you say about the rookies, and I like that there is no pressure for the rookies to have to come right in and perform.  I like when young players earn their way into more snaps by showing well in spot and rotational duties.  

As to the bolded part, you call the players no longer with us "loses".  I don't really see it that way.  Dunlap is an aging veteran who wasn't comfortable varying from what he had done in all of his previous time with the defense, and his effort level on the field appeared (to me at least) to reflect that sentiment.  Geno, while it was noble of him to attempt to play through severe injury, was just a mere shell of his former self.  His issues aren't going to completely go away by having shoulder surgery. (trust me, I have a rebuilt shoulder and I still try to train Strongman)  Many fans consider Carl Lawson a loss, but I saw him as only a speed rusher.  Hendrickson, from what I have seen, appears to be a more compete player, in the form of not only going around the edge, but standing up and backing the Tackle to the QB, to being a bigger body to stop the run.  Some are upset that they elected to let WJ III go in free agency, but I'm fine with that, as I never viewed him as panning out for where he was drafted.  Hilton, Waynes, and Awuzi are all adept at playing zone coverage, and should more than fill any void left by Jackson's departure.

While you phrase it as our additions "help offset our losses", I see it more as they got rid of expensive players who were underperforming and replaced them with younger players who appear to be a better scheme fit.

I agree, and if Lou can actually call a game, we should see a pretty good improvement. I gotta give these guys credit for being aggressive in removing dead weight and targeting their type of player. Now, there are no excuses. Sure, they could add more talented guys and get better, but there will be no excuses for this unit to be costing the team games anymore. They should be out of the cellar at least.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
As to this other topic....I wouldn't call any defensive performance brilliant, or even flashes of it, Stoolers game aside. That said, I do recall the week after the Ravens game on here. Most everyone was crucifying the offense, and rightfully so. Conversely, there were many that said the defense did a good job containing Lamar, and played well overall considering the giant shit sammich the offense laid out there for them. Ravens had short fields galore, and the offense did nothing. I mean NOTHING. Overall, I'd say it was a decent performance by them, especially considering what Lamar did to them the year prior. My opinion, if the D plays at least that good most weeks, we'll be in far better shape than we have been.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(06-02-2021, 05:35 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Call it whatever you want, but it wasn't "brilliant".

Imagine being on the side defending one of the worst coordinators in team history, based on one pretty pedestrian defensive performance, which preceded (arguably) the worst performance in team history, and is one of a whopping seven games of 200+ rush yards allowed in 2 years.

If yall want to feel positive going into 2021, fine...but you'll need to come up with better reasons than this. Heck, let me help yall out:

1. We have arguably the best weaponry in team history.
2. Joe Burrow looks like the real deal.
3. We improved both lines and Pollack is back.
4. A lot of injured players will be back.
5. We can't be any worse against the run than we've been for the last 2 years.
6. The Steelers look like the end is nigh.
7. The new uniforms look pretty awesome.

I'm going to attempt to tie the two bolded together, as they apply to the defense.  With a fully healthy and restocked DL, especially at DT;  The DL should be able to eat up blocks and allow our young LB Corps to take a gigantic step forward, by being able to fill gaps and make tackles at or close to the line.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I agree the spotlight is squarely on Lou. He has his players and now needs to show he can actually scheme a defense to use their strengths properly. This is his chance, as so far he is actually worse than Teryl Austin (who thought that was even possible?).
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2021, 07:20 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: ^^^ If you just want to say he did "fine" or "ok" in that first Ravens game, I could roll with that. I'm just stuck on the word "brilliant". Also, I can't just give Lou a free pass for that 2nd game, just because we had some injuries. Lots of teams have dealt with tons of injuries and not given up 4 bills on the ground.

The injury excuse also doesn't hold water when his defense has allowed 215+ rushing yards 6 other times and 250+ yards 3 other times. The trio of 250+ yard disasters all happened in 2019. Can we blame injuries for those as well?

I said "flashes of brilliance" (and he did in the Seattle game, the pitt game last year) and said "damn good job" in the first Ravens game of 2020.  

I guess the putrid offensive output in many of those games that wore out the poor talent they had on defense will get a pass, even when Burrow wasn't out there.  This puzzles me, but nonetheless....I think we will see a marked improvement in this year's squad with the solid roster.  It isn't full of talent like the Bucs, but we will have a legit evaluation of both Anarumo and ZT after this season.  

I know it was Marv's schtick to have the shirts made...but this year's should read two words:  NO EXCUSES
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2021, 08:44 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I said "flashes of brilliance" (and he did in the Seattle game, the pitt game last year) and said "damn good job" in the first Ravens game of 2020.  

I guess the putrid offensive output in many of those games that wore out the poor talent they had on defense will get a pass, even when Burrow wasn't out there.  This puzzles me, but nonetheless....I think we will see a marked improvement in this year's squad with the solid roster.  It isn't full of talent like the Bucs, but we will have a legit evaluation of both Anarumo and ZT after this season.  

I know it was Marv's schtick to have the shirts made...but this year's should read two words:  NO EXCUSES

Offense certainly doesn't get a pass from me, but I also won't try to blame the terrible defense for the offensive performance...which is something we could do if we're digging for excuses.

If the offense is struggling, maybe the defense should step up, get some stops and help the offense find some rythm. If the defense is struggling, the offense needs to step up and keep them off the field.

But ultimately, this is why I like holding each unit accountable for their own level of play. Especially when we're not playing well on either side of the ball. Somebody has to step up.

That said, our defense was lame last year even when the offense was getting yards and points with Joe Burrow. So out of the two, I'm definitely more critical of the defense...although I'd say both Zac and Lou have a lot to prove and this should definitely be a make or break year for the whole staff.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote