Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Defensive Improvements
(05-30-2021, 06:50 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: If you to celebrate being the 2nd worst rather than the worst with a trophy or something, by all mean, you have at it. Hang your "only 2nd worst" banner.

Me? I won't ever call a game where you allow 162 rushing yards at 6.7 yards per carry a "flash of brilliance" and a "damn good job".

So you were mistaken? 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2021, 09:49 PM)bfine32 Wrote: So you were mistaken? 

About what? That they did a good job in the run game? No, because I have shown 3 times now that they didn't. You're dropping quick into Fred territory here, Bfine.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2021, 09:56 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: About what? That they did a good job in the run game? No, because I have shown 3 times now that they didn't. You're dropping quick into Fred territory here, Bfine.

I thought it was obvious as you and I both bolded the part about it only being 6 yards off  being the best rushing average of the year. Seemed closer to 30. 

Reply/Quote
(05-30-2021, 10:01 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I thought it was obvious as you and I both bolded the part about it only being 6 yards off  being the best rushing average of the year. Seemed closer to 30. 

Seriously? You've just said the exact same thing twice now about something that stupid?

Ravens had 162 rushing yards in that game.
The second place rushing team (Titans) had 168 rushing yards per game.

So they were only 6 yards off from tying the 2nd place team. If you are better than the 2nd place team, you are 1st. That's how rankings work. 

A team can't occupy two spots at once, because that's now how rankings work. Thanks for the great contribution to the thread, Fred.

Reply/Quote
(05-30-2021, 05:08 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: brilliance
[ bril-yuhns ]
See synonyms for brilliance on Thesaurus.com
noun
-great brightness; luster: the brilliance of a fine diamond.
-excellence or distinction; conspicuous talent, mental ability, etc.
-splendor, elegance, or magnificence: the brilliance of the court of Louis XIV.
-Optics. that luminance of a body consisting of its saturation and brightness.

Which of these best describes our "brilliance" in our losing effort against Baltimore?

I wouldn't call much of anything outside of our victory over the Steelers brilliant last year, but as to the game in question:

I'm simply pointing out many will use stats the way a drunk uses a light pole; more for support than illumination.

For instance if I wanted to support a good effort I could say we held Baltimore to 30 yards below their season average; not 8 as previously reported. I could also point to the fact about half the total rushing yards surrendered that day were on 3 runs. Take those away and we did a great job. I could point to how we kept a team with 24 rushing TDs for scoring anything on the ground

Conversely if I wanted to point to a poor effort I could say 162 yards at 6.2 YPC

Reply/Quote
(05-30-2021, 10:14 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Seriously? You've just said the exact same thing twice now about something that stupid?

Ravens had 162 rushing yards in that game.
The second place rushing team (Titans) had 168 rushing yards per game.

So they were only 6 yards off from tying the 2nd place team. If you are better than the 2nd place team, you are 1st. That's how rankings work. 

A team can't occupy two spots at once, because that's now how rankings work. Thanks for the great contribution to the thread, Fred.

yeah, I guess you kinda lost me when you said 162 + 8 would have been the best rushing average last year. I didn't know we were not counting the team we were discussing.

You can take your insults elsewhere; as I have not insulted you, but you've started a trend.. 

Reply/Quote
(05-30-2021, 10:19 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I wouldn't call much of anything outside of our victory over the Steelers brilliant last year, but as to the game in question:

I'm simply pointing out many will use stats the way a drunk uses a light pole; more for support than illumination.

For instance if I wanted to support a good effort I could say we held Baltimore to 30 yards below their season average; not 8 as previously reported. I could also point to the fact about half the total rushing yards surrendered that day were on 3 runs. Take those away and we did a great job. I could point to how we kept a team with 24 rushing TDs for scoring anything on the ground

Conversely if I wanted to point to a poor effort I could say 162 yards at 6.2 YPC

The Jags and and Titans games weren't brilliant?
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2021, 10:22 PM)bfine32 Wrote: yeah, I guess you kinda lost me when you said 162 + 8 would have been the best rushing average last year. I didn't know we were not counting the team we were discussing.

You can take your insults elsewhere; as I have not insulted you, but you've started a trend.. 

So you were mistaken?

(See how non-constructive that is for discourse? Now imagine if I just repeated that without trying to use my words.)

Reply/Quote
Please leave Fred out of this. Attack the post, not the poster.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2021, 11:00 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: So you were mistaken?

(See how non-constructive that is for discourse? Now imagine if I just repeated that without trying to use my words.)

Sure. I should have sought clarity by asking:

bfine32 Wrote:Weren't the Ravens the best rushing team in the NFL last year averaging 192 yards per game?

A simple answer to that question could have helped. Hey wait a minute...

Reply/Quote
(05-28-2021, 10:44 PM)J24 Wrote: If that was the Case then Why did Guenther struggle with the Raiders? 

The biggest problem to me was lack of personal and the core of the 2011-15 defense became much older.

Yeah, he isn't a good DC, just saying he shown flashes at times, the Broncos game against Peyton and then I remember when
the D was really bad and he benched starters and adjusted. The D got better after the bye week and Marv called him out.

Zim is our best DC we have had in forever. Want him back here if Taylor and company continue to lose.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2021, 06:50 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: If you to celebrate being the 2nd worst rather than the worst with a trophy or something, by all mean, you have at it. Hang your "only 2nd worst" banner.

Me? I won't ever call a game where you allow 162 rushing yards at 6.7 yards per carry a "flash of brilliance" and a "damn good job".

Yep, completely ignored the break down I provided.  And while you are at it, keep ignoring the Seattle game I mentioned where they sacked Wilson something like 5 times.  But, hey, if it doesn't fit your narrative, ignore it...right?
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2021, 01:32 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Please leave Fred out of this. Attack the post, not the poster.

Where have you been all of my life...All I hear is hit the bong again loser. lol joking with ya
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2021, 09:22 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: Where have you been all of my life...All I hear is hit the bong again loser. lol joking with ya

You say that like it’s a bad thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2021, 03:14 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Yep, completely ignored the break down I provided.  And while you are at it, keep ignoring the Seattle game I mentioned where they sacked Wilson something like 5 times.  But, hey, if it doesn't fit your narrative, ignore it...right?

I'm ignoring the Seattle game because you specifically said the Baltimore game which you said he did a "damn fine job" at. Only later did you randomly make mention of "Wilson" as some kind of moving goalpost.

The Seattle game was Week 1 of the 2019 season, man. That was 632 days ago. In a year where the Bengals went 2-14 on the backs of the 29th overall/25th scoring (and 32nd rushing) defense.

I'm sorry, but trying to talk up Lou Anarumo with "flashes of brilliance" and doing "damn fine jobs" is just nonsense. He is legitimately just terrible.

Reply/Quote
(06-01-2021, 04:12 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I'm ignoring the Seattle game because you specifically said the Baltimore game which you said he did a "damn fine job" at. Only later did you randomly make mention of "Wilson" as some kind of moving goalpost.

The Seattle game was Week 1 of the 2019 season, man. That was 632 days ago. In a year where the Bengals went 2-14 on the backs of the 29th overall/25th scoring (and 32nd rushing) defense.

I'm sorry, but trying to talk up Lou Anarumo with "flashes of brilliance" and doing "damn fine jobs" is just nonsense. He is legitimately just terrible.

My original post, including the Seattle game, which I mentioned first:

I remember after Lou's first game at Seattle being so excited as the defensive line sacked Wilson (a tough tackle) a ton of times and kept them down in yardage as well, but then the following week, SF exploited the lack of outside containment time and time again and it seemed like there were no adjustments and it was just maddening to watch.

I don't know where Lou ranks.  He has shown flashes of brilliance (he actually did a damn good job against the Ravens in their first meeting last year) and times where they just look lost.  I'm going to give the guy the benefit of the doubt with a better, deeper roster and hope he can start to get some players on his side.  I give the Bengals credit for not doing the easy thing and just signing WJIII and Lawson, but going out and signing guys that they feel better fit their scheme.  Awuzie (sp?) could end up being a massive bargain over what we were talking about with a franchise tag for WJIII.  

My later post that broke down the game on defense:  

I wish this game were replayed on the NFL network so you could watch it again.  Though painful, you would see that despite doing absolutely nothing on offense, the defense held Baltimore in check for most of the early part of the game and at the very least kept Cincy in the game:

Bengals punt, Ravens get the ball at their 20 and get a FG

Bengals turnover on downs, Ravens get the ball at their 37.  Ravens drive the field for a TD

Bengals throw INT, Ravens get the ball on Cincy's 31 yard line.  Ravens drive 31 yards (with the help of a Dunlap PF) for a TD.

This is where the game could have gotten completely out of hand.  Here is what happened next:

Bengals fumble, Ravens recover at the 50 yard line.  Ravens get 4 yards on 4 plays and turnover on downs.

Bengals go backwards 10 yards and punt.  Ravens get the ball on their 21.

Ravens get 14 yards on 5 plays and punt.  Bengals get the ball on on their 25.

Bengals go backwards 1 yard on three plays and punt.  Ravens get the ball at their 30 yard line with 2 minutes to go in the half.  We all know where this is going, right?

Wrong, the Ravens throw an INT and Bengals get the ball on their 24 yard line.  

The Bengals go 3 yards on 3 plays and use up 22 seconds on the clock and punt the ball back to the Ravens.  

The Ravens quickly drive 34 yards and get a FG right before the half (in 51 seconds)

The Ravens next four drives (the rest of the game's possessions in the 2nd half for them) go as follows:

Punt

Punt

FG

[b]Punt. 
[/b]

Sorry, I still believe with the talent he had on the roster, he did a damn fine job against the Ravens in their first meeting.  The offense did absolutely nothing and seems to get a pass.  He kept them in that game against a very strong and versatile offense.  The score wasn't indicative of his unit's performance as there was a defensive TD.  The Raven's offense scored 20 points.  And in one case they got the ball at the Cincy 31 off an INT.   
Reply/Quote
^^^ If you just want to say he did "fine" or "ok" in that first Ravens game, I could roll with that. I'm just stuck on the word "brilliant". Also, I can't just give Lou a free pass for that 2nd game, just because we had some injuries. Lots of teams have dealt with tons of injuries and not given up 4 bills on the ground.

The injury excuse also doesn't hold water when his defense has allowed 215+ rushing yards 6 other times and 250+ yards 3 other times. The trio of 250+ yard disasters all happened in 2019. Can we blame injuries for those as well?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2021, 07:20 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: ^^^ If you just want to say he did "fine" or "ok" in that first Ravens game, I could roll with that. I'm just stuck on the word "brilliant". Also, I can't just give Lou a free pass for that 2nd game, just because we had some injuries. Lots of teams have dealt with tons of injuries and not given up 4 bills on the ground.

The injury excuse also doesn't hold water when his defense has allowed 215+ rushing yards 6 other times and 250+ yards 3 other times. The trio of 250+ yard disasters all happened in 2019. Can we blame injuries for those as well?

Lou Anarumo is many things but “brilliant” he is not. His defenses so far have been less than impressive especially against the run. This is the NFL and the injury factor on the defensive line should be almost negligible.

Backup players should know how to shed blocks and tackle correctly; I see a fundamentals problem, not an injury issue.

With that said, Lou has assembled an impressive defensive roster for 2021 and if this iteration of the Cincinnati defense fails it’s all on him.
Reply/Quote
I had to work the 1st ravens game last year and I usually watch the game later but I remember that game being lopsided so I don't remember much. But I will say when an offense can't do anything it can make they're own defense seem better statistically because the other team doesn't have to do much.

Lou has had his moments. Unfortunately it's been about 1 or 2 games a year. I really hope they can get it turned around this year because I can't really see Taylor getting a decent DC to replace him if we have a mediocre to poor year. I'm also not sure how bad Taylor would have to be for them to get rid of him this year.
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2021, 07:20 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: ^^^ If you just want to say he did "fine" or "ok" in that first Ravens game, I could roll with that. I'm just stuck on the word "brilliant". Also, I can't just give Lou a free pass for that 2nd game, just because we had some injuries. Lots of teams have dealt with tons of injuries and not given up 4 bills on the ground.

Yeah, Lou has been terrible to say the least. Having a few good games a year doesn't cut it.

Zim had his D playing great games for most of the year for many years. Zim is a great DC and a good HC.
Reply/Quote