Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Defensive Scheme going forward...
now that Austin has been fired does Haslet change the style of Defends being played?

The players seemed confused and didn't like it not to mention the fact our CBs had zero INTs.

So whats our new defensive scheme going to be and can we implement it in one week?
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 12:21 PM)corpjet Wrote: now that Austin has been fired does Haslet change the style of Defends being played?

The players seemed confused and didn't like it not to mention the fact our CBs had zero INTs.

So whats our new defensive scheme going to be and can we implement it in one week?

I do agree the schemes and also communication seemed to be major issues. I am happy we fired Austin, but we continue to dismiss a defensive play caller who plays safety or LB as a long term solution. Maybe that guy can be Bates, Vigil or Burfict.

We have no DL who understands the schemes or understands adjustments based on offensive formation. We lack a QB on defense.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Hopefully once they get some of the guys back they will be more aggressive. I hate watching them play so soft.
Reply/Quote
After watching only the 2nd qtr yesterday, I would think even if we contested passes that would be huge going forward. Good lord, WRs pretty much are open by 5 yds every play. Also the belief we can get home with only the front 4 is killing us. Absolutely no pressure on Brees....
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 12:35 PM)mon4078 Wrote: Hopefully once the get some of the guys back they will be more aggressive. I hate watching them play so soft.

It really wasn't much different before the injuries started.....
Reply/Quote
Def some more press coverage from the CBs I would hope for starters........
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 12:36 PM)sandwedge Wrote: After watching only the 2nd qtr yesterday, I would think even if we contested passes that would be huge going forward. Good lord, WRs pretty much are open by 5 yds every play. Also the belief we can get home with only the front 4 is killing us. Absolutely no pressure on Brees....

The name of the game on D is to stop the qb by any means necessary.stupid is as stupid gets,so tired of hearing how great geno atkins is,he gets double-teamed all game,carlos dunlap is not that good,we need a stud d-line and we have a bunch of girl-scouts on the line.Number 99 is a bust,number 96 is a bust,we should play number 92-washington from ohio state all game,he is a stud and will play like it if he knows he is the starter.I do not know the answer to this insane d-line,but it needs massive help and they should bring 6 after the passer all game.its the only way.
Reply/Quote
The reports are Marv will be taking over the defense, so I guess we can stop predicting what Haslett will do.
Reply/Quote
Look at the defensive Pro Bowlers and HOFers Merv had while coaching in Baltimore

we are far from that here, but look forward to a more basic scheme the players "buy" into

Lets be honest the players need to believe in what they are doing and Im afraid that wasn't the case with Austin at the helm
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 02:09 PM)corpjet Wrote: Look at the defensive Pro Bowlers and HOFers Merv had while coaching in Baltimore

we are far from that here, but look forward to a more basic scheme the players "buy" into

Lets be honest the players need to believe in what they are doing and Im afraid that wasn't the case with Austin at the helm

He may not have the same talent, but if nothing else the scheme/discipline will hopefully improve.  It quite literally can't be any worse.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 02:09 PM)corpjet Wrote: Look at the defensive Pro Bowlers and HOFers Merv had while coaching in Baltimore

I would tend to agree with what you are saying.  I would think that the 1st thing Marvin will do is put them back into their comfort zone (man coverage), then after re-emphasizing fundamentals (solid tackling, playing through the whistle, etc), gradually getting back toward controlled aggression (working on blitz packages, execution of effective fake blitzes, etc.).

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 02:20 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I would tend to agree with what you are saying.  I would think that the 1st thing Marvin will do is put them back into their comfort zone (man coverage), then after re-emphasizing fundamentals (solid tackling, playing through the whistle, etc), gradually getting back toward controlled aggression (working on blitz packages, execution of effective fake blitzes, etc.).

This is what I would do.  I'd get aggressive in man, run a shit ton of stunts up front, and blitz more.  Sure, you're gonna get burnt some, but damn.....is it really any different than watching offenses march up and down the field at will?  If talent is the issue, then you gotta get creative and aggressive.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 02:31 PM)Wyche Wrote:   If talent is the issue, then you gotta get creative and aggressive.

Marvin has neither of those traits
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
Didn't Marvin run a 3-4 base?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 02:46 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Didn't Marvin run a 3-4 base?

That's what I thought, but someone in another thread said he's always ran the 4-3.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote

I thought he ran a hybrid. That's where Peter Boulware fit in and why he always seemed to be looking for another player like that. He was like a hybrid LB/DE who could play both. I thought the Ravens were going more the 3-4 direction when Marv came here, but a reliable poster said he was straight 4-3. I just dont remember that always being the case. I may have been drunk or spent too much time in Meigs county tho lol....that was pretty far back in the day at this point.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 03:34 PM)bengaloo Wrote: I thought he ran a hybrid. That's where Peter Boulware fit in and why he always seemed to be looking for another player like that. He was like a hybrid LB/DE who could play both. I thought the Ravens were going more the 3-4 direction when Marv came here, but a reliable poster said he was straight 4-3. I just dont remember that always being the case. I may have been drunk or spent too much time in Meigs county tho lol....that was pretty far back in the day at this point.

I think it was a 4-3 from what I recall. It was a different game back then. The smaller 3 technique DT’s like Geno and Arron Donald weren’t even a thing yet. Lewis had two staring DT’s in Sam Adams And Tony Sirgusa who were both 350 pounds. Those guys would never last today. The rules were drassticlly diffent in terms of how you could defend receivers. Back then every team had a full back and blocking tight ends. Today’s game is all about spreading guys out and getting more speed on the field.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 03:53 PM)lone bengal Wrote: I think it was a 4-3 from what I recall. It was a different game back then. The smaller 3 technique DT’s like Geno and Arron Donald weren’t even a thing yet. Lewis had two staring DT’s in Sam Adams And Tony Sirgusa who were both 350 pounds. Those guys would never last today. The rules were drassticlly diffent in terms of how you could defend receivers. Back then every team had a full back and blocking tight ends. Today’s game is all about spreading guys out and getting more speed on the field.

Football was much better back then for sure.
Reply/Quote

(11-12-2018, 03:34 PM)bengaloo Wrote: I thought he ran a hybrid. That's where Peter Boulware fit in and why he always seemed to be looking for another player like that. He was like a hybrid LB/DE who could play both. I thought the Ravens were going more the 3-4 direction when Marv came here, but a reliable poster said he was straight 4-3. I just dont remember that always being the case. I may have been drunk or spent too much time in Meigs county tho lol....that was pretty far back in the day at this point.

He runs a 4-3 with a ton of 3-4 principals. Came from Pittsburgh where they ran a bunch of zone blitz. The Sam Backer position is very similar to a 3-4 outside LB in his scheme as well. 
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 03:57 PM)bengaloo Wrote: Football was much better back then for sure.

Better or worse matters not. It is simply different and ML has shown little ability to adapt. 
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote