Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Definition of Woke
Oh, get over yourself. It really shouldn't be this difficult. I just find it hilarious that the people that throw out stereotypes the most are upset when they're lumped in with stereotypes. Kind of like your little ventures into the joke thread. No intentional comedy or jokes added,  you were only there because you just wanted clarification and fact checking . . . of jokes? Ministry of Truth candidate right there.

I work with a crew of Mexicans in Democratic Anchorage, which is very much like Portland in the sense that it's a Liberal island in a Conservative ocean. I also run a non-profit radio station 50 miles away, smack dab in the middle of Rednekistan, where guys fly their "Hillary For Prison" flags on their trucks. The night and day difference in 50 miles is insane. It's almost like expecting to show your passport when you get out of your truck, it's that different. Do I really need to explain the comments I get when I mention a funny story about my co-workers in Anchorage to my friends and acquaintances near my radio station? These comments usually have nothing to do with my story, just their prejudice towards Mexicans or foreigners

And then the people that call people snowflakes or Karens suddenly get all offended or upset or want clarification when they're lumped in with a stereotype. I don't like our immigration policy but still get told I want open borders only because I think a wall is stupid and expensive to maintain. Disagree with a Conservative? Well, you must be a Liberal.

Independents have been voting more Liberal these days more due to being driven there by the amount of insanity on the right than actually lining up with the policies of the left. . . . Independents that vote Conservative are mostly just Conservatives that are too embarrassed to admit it because of the MTG, Boebert and Gaetz side of the party. It seems that they don't like being lumped in with stereotypes. That may not be like that where you live. I live in a state that has 55.25% registered Independent voters yet still overwhelmingly votes Conservative with only 25.77% registered Republicans and 13.82% Democrats. Loudmouth Conservatives making their party look bad may be few in numbers in your area, I'm not quite so lucky.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2022, 02:11 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Also, Conservatives usually do when the stereotypes fall on them. They may not agree with all of the accused's actions, but they quietly vote right along with them. When your party no longer has a platform other than "You'll find out when we win it back", they're not trying to speak to the responsible side of the party, they're appealing to the lowest common denominator. Tough shit if you get lumped in, or in MAGA speak "**** Your Feelings".

Yeah well, what I said had nothing to do with conservatives to begin with. And a comparison with the other side imho should not be used as justification for deeds of one side. But of course I get why in this toxic two party system, one is always inclined to do just that, and it makes sense even.

And if that is done, I usually lose the sympathies I gained with my post before. Because I agree with your sentiment, the conservative spectrum is usually way worse to me. I guess I called the GOP a party of neutered bootlickers, the most spineless characters I ever witnessed anywhere in politics, and then some. I was certainly not coming from a place of love for them. In that sense I find it an irresponsible reaction to vote for and idolize Trump just to counter wokeness*. The guy still dominating the party that arguably is actually all of these things I mentioned or at least dangerously indifferent to them, and also a far graver threat to US democracy then Russia, China, North Korea etc. ever could be. 

*Disclaimer, I don't critizise people voting for Trump or the GOP because of ideology or policies or certain issues (though I'd rather people wouldn't). But those that actually call Trump an honest man, a genius, America's savior and whatnot and mainly seem to love him because he triggers liberals.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2022, 05:41 AM)hollodero Wrote: Yeah well, what I said had nothing to do with conservatives to begin with. And a comparison with the other side imho should not be used as justification for deeds of one side. But of course I get why in this toxic two party system, one is always inclined to do just that, and it makes sense even.

And if that is done, I usually lose the sympathies I gained with my post before. Because I agree with your sentiment, the conservative spectrum is usually way worse to me. I guess I called the GOP a party of neutered bootlickers, the most spineless characters I ever witnessed anywhere in politics, and then some. I was certainly not coming from a place of love for them. In that sense I find it an irresponsible reaction to vote for and idolize Trump just to counter wokeness*. The guy still dominating the party that arguably is actually all of these things I mentioned or at least dangerously indifferent to them, and also a far graver threat to US democracy then Russia, China, North Korea etc. ever could be. 

*Disclaimer, I don't critizise people voting for Trump or the GOP because of ideology or policies or certain issues (though I'd rather people wouldn't). But those that actually call Trump an honest man, a genius, America's savior and whatnot and mainly seem to love him because he triggers liberals.
I was only highlighting what you said to semi-take a shot at conservatives because, over the last 6 years, they have leaned more and more into the absurd. And some, I assume, are good people, but if they are still going to quietly stand by, then they are part of the problem.

I started a thread sometime around the inauguration about who the next GOP candidate should be and I mentioned Larry Hogan. If he was running against Biden, I'd vote for Hogan. He's far from perfect, but I miss these types of Conservatives.

Hogan and Scaramucci were the type of Conservatives that I used to talk to at the AmVets club before Trump took the Republican nomination. Those guys don't like hanging out there as much right now. I'm not a huge fan of Meidas Touch but I click when I see Scaramucci is on there because he's very entertaining. I just make sure that I skip until he pops on. From four months ago and a month ago.

Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote