Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Democrat Convention Thread
(07-26-2016, 10:39 AM)Au165 Wrote: If he doesn't support her those supporters go towards trump. It becomes a lesser of two evils. It's not selling out, it's trying to back the one who is least despicable to him.

Not sure why people confuse this. If you can't win then you back the one you hate less, which makes the whole Cruz thing kind of interesting, but could have been because it was personal.

Bernie supporters are not going to Trump.  They will go to that Green Party lady.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(07-26-2016, 11:25 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Bernie supporters are not going to Trump.  They will go to that Green Party lady.

Yeah. Some may go to Trump, but Bernie supporters will go mostly to Clinton, then to stein, then to Trump. Even without Bernie backing Clinton, that would be the result.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(07-26-2016, 11:25 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Bernie supporters are not going to Trump.  They will go to that Green Party lady.

Disagree, the ones who want there vote to matter and hold a grudge against the party could have voted Trump without a Hilary backing. When people feel like they were wronged it can drive them to do irrational things. I think people get too caught up trying to paint a broad brush over "supporters".  I think there were a lot of people who wanted Bernie because it wasn't trump and it wasn't Hilary.
(07-26-2016, 12:06 PM)Au165 Wrote: Disagree, the ones who want there vote to matter and hold a grudge against the party could have voted Trump without a Hilary backing. When people feel like they were wronged it can drive them to do irrational things. I think people get too caught up trying to paint a broad brush over "supporters".  I think there were a lot of people who wanted Bernie because it wasn't trump and it wasn't Hilary.

The people really in that boat were going to go third-party from the start. The majority of those that went with Bernie are progressives and want the DNC to go that way. There may be some going Trump, but based on Trump's rhetoric it wouldn't have been a significant amount.

I could be wrong, I was wrong about Clinton's VP pick, but if a significant amount would have went Trump, or will go Trump, then I would be shocked because that would mean these people have zero idea about what these people are actually espousing.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(07-26-2016, 12:12 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I could be wrong, I was wrong about Clinton's VP pick, but if a significant amount would have went Trump, or will go Trump, then I would be shocked because that would mean these people have zero idea about what these people are actually espousing.

This is kind of my point....
(07-26-2016, 12:54 PM)Au165 Wrote: This is kind of my point....

So you're saying I shouldn't have as much faith in these people as I do?

You may be right, I am trying to see the best in people these days, but the cynic at my core can see your point.

I think one of the best analogies of Sanders supporters is when somebody said: "Bernie fed them a bunch of Mountain Dew and now whats them to go to bed."

Bernie showed much more loyalty to the party than the party did Bernie, but he had no choice. ANY other move would have pretty much sealed the White House for Trump.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(07-26-2016, 12:12 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: The people really in that boat were going to go third-party from the start. The majority of those that went with Bernie are progressives and want the DNC to go that way. There may be some going Trump, but based on Trump's rhetoric it wouldn't have been a significant amount.

I could be wrong, I was wrong about Clinton's VP pick, but if a significant amount would have went Trump, or will go Trump, then I would be shocked because that would mean these people have zero idea about what these people are actually espousing.

The long list of issues needing to be addressed is what the sincere Bernie supporter wants, and if HRC gets behind a significant amount of them convincingly, then she will get their votes. It's modern day politics - you take what you can get, move on, and plan for the next election cycle. That's that formula for those who succeed in that arena. It's the product of cash-infused two party politics. 

Those who vote elsewhere are indeed the ones who aren't behind the message, sort of like band wagon fans who only want to associate with what they perceive as 'the winner'. Those Bernie supporters who believe he is on the the right track policy-wise would rather jump off a bridge than vote for someone like Trump. And come close to feeling the same toward HRC. Add Stein and Johnson to the mix, and HRC still presents the only chance for a Bernie supporter getting some of things they really care about accomplished. The harsh reality is it's either HRC or Trump. For the Sanders crowd, 50% of something>100% of nothing. 
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
(07-26-2016, 10:42 AM)GMDino Wrote: It was definitely personal.  And Trump made it that way.  He attacked people...not ideas.  He even attacked their wives and family.  It is who he is.  A 3rd grader with a bank account.
Sounds a bit like how this forum has operated, in the past (hopefully).

More on topic...
Sanders struck a deal to oust the frizzy-haired DNC leader and include his college dream on Hill's ticket.

#2.... If Cruz felt that way, he should have done the classy thing and stayed home from the party.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
(07-26-2016, 01:22 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: Sounds a bit like how this forum has operated, in the past  (hopefully).

More on topic...
Sanders struck a deal to oust the frizzy-haired DNC leader and include his college dream on Hill's ticket.

#2.... If Cruz felt that way, he should have done the classy thing and stayed home from the party.

On #2: I don't know.  If given the opportunity to stick to the guy who talked about you and your wife and your dad to a national audience...would you?

We invaded Iraq for less.   Ninja
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
I think the biggest factor in Bernie and Cruz handling their situations differently are their future aspirations. If Bernie were younger he may have told Hills and the DNC to go screw themselves and I'll see you in 4 years, but the fact that he would be 79 by the time he took office if he tried again led him to just cutting his losses and pushing as many of his ideas on Hills as he can.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(07-26-2016, 01:24 PM)GMDino Wrote: On #2: I don't know.  If given the opportunity to stick to the guy who talked about you and your wife and your dad to a national audience...would you?

We invaded Iraq for less.   Ninja
Oh... I understand that, but I think that he should have done it at his own event.
It's like going to your mother-in-law's birthday party to tell everyone what a pain in the ass she is.
It's just poor form and does nothing but damage your own character (sans respect garnered from those few with a large amount of hate and little class).

(07-26-2016, 01:25 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I think the biggest factor in Bernie and Cruz handling their situations differently are their future aspirations. If Bernie were younger he may have told Hills and the DNC to go screw themselves and I'll see you in 4 years, but the fact that he would be 79 by the time he took office if he tried again led him to just cutting his losses and pushing as many of his ideas on Hills as he can.

Yes indeed. It's his best, and likely only, chance to see any of his beliefs become reality; short of what he can accomplish while still in Congress. Plus the influence he has on the younger politicians that will ultimately replace the likes of him, Warren etc. 
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
(07-26-2016, 01:30 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: Oh... I understand that, but I think that he should have done it at his own event.
It's like going to your mother-in-law's birthday party to tell everyone what a pain in the ass she is.
It's just poor form and does nothing but damage your own character (sans respect garnered from those few with a large amount of hate and little class).

And if he had done that I would have been fine with too.  I guess it just depends how far someone can be pushed.  I've told everyone want a PITA my mother in law is several times in front of her!   Smirk
Here's how you deal with a 3rd grader with a bank account:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2016/07/26/cory-booker-donald-trump/87562330/

Quote:Booker responds to Trump attack: 'I love Donald Trump'

Cory Booker is trying to counter Donald Trump’s insults with love.

The New Jersey senator — who spoke at the Democratic convention on Monday night — was asked Tuesday morning about an attack and warning of sorts from Trump following his Philadelphia remarks.

Just after Booker finished his speech Monday night, Trump fired off this:
Quote:[/url]

Follow
[Image: DJT_Headshot_V2_normal.jpg]Donald J. Trump 

@realDonaldTrump
If Cory Booker is the future of the Democratic Party, they have no future! I know more about Cory than he knows about himself.
10:14 PM - 25 Jul 2016

•  

•  9,1259,125 Retweets

• [url=https://twitter.com/intent/like?tweet_id=757760973419712512] 30,48930,489 likes

On CNN's New Day, Booker declined to comment, saying instead: “I’m gonna answer with love.”

“Let me tell you right now: I love Donald Trump. I don't want to answer his hate with hate. I’m going to answer it with love. I’m not going to answer his darkness with darkness," Booker said. "I love him. I know his kids, I know his family. They're good, the children especially, good people.”

Booker added that he "was feeling left out” before when Trump attacked other lawmakers.

“I finally feel like I’m important enough” to be a Trump target, he said Tuesday.

Booker said Trump’s goal is for people to speculate what information the Republican nominee has about him, but he shrugged it off.

“I don’t care. I love you, Donald. I pray for you. I hope that you find some kindness in your heart, that you’re not going to be somebody that spews out insults to your political opposition, that you’re going to start finding some ways to love,” Booker said.

“I’m going to elevate him. I love you, I just don't want you to be my president. I don't want to you have the White House to be spewing that kind of mean-spirited hate that doesn’t even belong on a playground sandbox.”
(07-26-2016, 02:24 PM)GMDino Wrote: Here's how you deal with a 3rd grader with a bank account:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2016/07/26/cory-booker-donald-trump/87562330/
I like it.
I may have left off the ending with the 3rd grader punch though.
He had a real high ground, until that.

How any thinking person could support Bernie is beyond me. First of all. for a politician, he sure is delusional and seems to lack even a basic knowledge of how Washington works. And this guy throws billions around like they fall from the sky. Somebody has to pay the bill and all these trillions his programs cannot come from tax the rich more and tax Wall Street, which is where he fantasizes will pay for everything.

This is my problem with Hillary. Lots of plans to spend, no legitimate plan to raise the money. But, in this regard, Bernie is Hillary on steroids.

And Bernie, you poor deluded bastard, just because free education works in countries with a fraction of our population does not mean it can happen here. Think of the added government involvement. And, despite what the Democrats think, creating more government red tape and therefore new government jobs is not really job creation. It's more like a different form of Welfare. Somebody still has to pay for it.

It is not the government's job to give everyone the same life. It's the government's job to provide defense and law enforcement and assist those who cannot assist themselves.

Whatever happened to, if you want a college education, go out and make it happen? Go out and work for it. You want better job? Be better. Be smarter, Work harder. That's the promise of America. Not that you will handed a life, but that you have the opportunity to be anything you have the determination to be.

This is my problem with the Democrats. They have this weird notion that everyone is guaranteed the same life, whether they earn it or not. Rediscovering this kind of thinking is what will make America great again. More free shit is not the answer.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

(07-26-2016, 10:14 AM)GMDino Wrote: Hyperbole Man strikes again!

A retort full of the substance we've all come to expect from you.

Quote:Is this profiling from an experienced officer?

Nope, that of a honest human being with principles.  BTW, acting on observable behavior isn't profiling.  Please educate yourself on this subject.

Quote:Pretty much.  If I said I'd support my boss and signed a contract and he constantly went out and lied about my family in public I'd have no problem "breaking my promise".

I suppose you'd have a point if Cruz declared the pledge null and void back when the incidents he cites actually happened.  But he didn't did he?  I wonder why that is, perhaps because he still thought he could win and he wanted that pledge in place so Trump would be compelled to abide by it.  See, principles are really only observable when adhering to them would hurt you.  Anyone can adhere to their principles when doing so costs them nothing.  Cruz exhibit the complete lack of principles that one would expect from someone with his track record.  The fact that you find his lack of principles laudable says more about you than you probably know.

Quote:Yeah, me thinking that someone shouldn't endorse a man who attacked his family...not just him shows a real lack of principles.  I guess I jusst don't follow lock step no matter what else happens

See above for a thorough answer to this ill thought out point.

Quote:Thanks for (again) thinking you know more about what I want or think than I do.  I guess?

Rock On

I judge you by your posts.  Are you saying what you mean in them or no?  If not please enlighten us as to your true thoughts.  I know I'll be holding my breath.
(07-26-2016, 02:24 PM)GMDino Wrote: Here's how you deal with a 3rd grader with a bank account:

Was Trumps tweet longer than what we saw because Cory sure seems to be responding to a lot that isn't there.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(07-26-2016, 01:43 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: Yes indeed. It's his best, and likely only, chance to see any of his beliefs become reality; short of what he can accomplish while still in Congress. Plus the influence he has on the younger politicians that will ultimately replace the likes of him, Warren etc. 

You used Warren as your example of younger politicians?