Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Democrats Want Amen AND Awoman!
If this doesn't tell you how stupid Democrats are and how they're ruining the country, then I think you need to have your head checked.

Democratic Rep. Emanuel Cleaver ended the opening prayer by saying "amen and awoman."

Nervous

Amen basically means "so be it"!

Awoman has no meaning!  

Do they not realize how stupid they sound or are they just hoping that Americans are too stupid to realize that the Dems are trying to play them?!

If this doesn't make you scared for the future of our country..........

Quote:A House Democrat tasked with leading the body in an opening prayer for the new Congress has gendered the word “amen.”

To close a prayer he delivered from the House chamber Sunday to mark the swearing in of the 117th Congress, Rep. Emanuel Cleaver (D-Mo.), an ordained minister, altered the traditional “amen” to say “amen and awoman.”

“May the Lord lift up the light of his countenance upon us and give us peace,” Cleaver said during his two-minute invocation, “peace in our families, peace across this land, and dare I ask, o Lord, peace even in this chamber.”

“We ask it in the name of the monotheistic God, Brahma, and ‘God’ known by many names by many different faiths. Amen and awoman.”

While Cleaver may have been trying to be inclusive to women, “amen” is not a gendered word. The word translates from Hebrew to mean “so be it.”

The Missouri lawmaker did not seem fazed by internet reaction to his “awoman” remark, posting video of the prayer to Twitter Sunday and writing, “I was honored to deliver the opening prayer for the 117th Congress.

“May God bless each and every Representative with the courage and wisdom to defend our democracy and the liberties we all hold so dearly.”

His decision to gender the word, however, comes just days after House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) introduced new House rules that would “honor all gender identities” by eliminating specific terms such as mother and father, son and daughter, and aunt and uncle.

Instead, only gender-neutral terms such as “parent,” “child,” “sibling” and “parent’s sibling” would be allowed in the text of congressional rules.

Calling the rules “future-focused” in a statement upon their release, Pelosi defended them as “the most inclusive in history.”

The package will be voted on by the House Monday.

I think this clearly shows that Democrats just try to win votes and popularity by playing off people's emotions.
Reply/Quote
Ridiculous. One Democrat says something and in 'alternative reality world' that means ALL Democrats have adopted this thought process.

And it's hilariously ironic how you don't think that Republicans play off of people's emotions. Amazing.

The free comedy Republicans supply us with every day would be awesome if it wasn't so terrifying.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 05:55 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: If this doesn't tell you how stupid Democrats are and how they're ruining the country, then I think you need to have your head checked.

Democratic Rep. Emanuel Cleaver ended the opening prayer by saying "amen and awoman."

Nervous

Amen basically means "so be it"!

Awoman has no meaning!  

Do they not realize how stupid they sound or are they just hoping that Americans are too stupid to realize that the Dems are trying to play them?!

If this doesn't make you scared for the future of our country..........

I think this clearly shows that Democrats just try to win votes and popularity by playing off people's emotions.

If this is an attempt to deflect from Trump's phone call, it's a bad one. 
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
Outrage I say!
Reply/Quote
They should hang him in the public square next to the senators, vice president, and representatives that are ***** with the election results.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Democrats are virtue signallers. If they see an opportunity to pander, they take it.

It's probably their worst overall trait, other than their ties to corporatism, which virtually every politician is guilty of.

That said, I'll take a virtue signaller over a genuinely awful person, which is what the vast majority of Republican politicians are.
Reply/Quote
Does  anyone else think it is funny that the same guy who said this.

(01-04-2021, 05:55 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I think this clearly shows that Democrats just try to win votes and popularity by playing off people's emotions.

Also said this in the exact same post

(01-04-2021, 05:55 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: If this doesn't tell you how stupid Democrats are and how they're ruining the country, then I think you need to have your head checked.

Because obviously nothing will "ruin this country" more than saying something stupid at the end of a prayer.   Hilarious
Reply/Quote
This certainly makes me feel like my complaints about what conservatives in Congress are doing are now just trivial.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 07:40 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Democrats are virtue signallers. If they see an opportunity to pander, they take it.

Republicans are worse.  Always make a big show out of standing for the national anthem and force everyone to do it with them.  Can't pray silently, instead it has to be out loud and in public before meetings and ball games.  Have to make sure EVERYONE sees how much they are for "God and Country".
Reply/Quote
We speak English in this country. If you want to say amen you should go to Greece or Israel or wherever they spoke Latin.

So be it.
Reply/Quote
Personally I think anyone praying to a make believe deity sounds stupid.

But yea. I never tied gender to amen of course I am not really polished up when it comes to religious knowledge because I feel it is useless.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 08:25 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Personally I think anyone praying to a make believe deity sounds stupid.

But yea. I never tied gender to amen of course I am not really polished up when it comes to religious knowledge because I feel it is useless.

Putting a gender on the word amen makes about as much sense as putting a gender on God himself or depicting everyone in the Bible, including intangible beings as Renaissance era northern Italians. 
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 07:22 PM)Au165 Wrote: Outrage I say!

Moronic at least.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 06:22 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Ridiculous. One Democrat says something and in 'alternative reality world' that means ALL Democrats have adopted this thought process.

And it's hilariously ironic how you don't think that Republicans play off of people's emotions. Amazing.

The free comedy Republicans supply us with every day would be awesome if it wasn't so terrifying.
That's how the Dems go, though, one Dem says one thing is offensive or demeaning and all Dems have to go along with it and calls anyone that disagrees an evil asshole.  

See the part about Nancy below the Amen part.  It's a slippery slope.
(01-04-2021, 06:34 PM)Big Boss Wrote: If this is an attempt to deflect from Trump's phone call, it's a bad one. 
You think this is ok?
(01-04-2021, 07:40 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Democrats are virtue signallers. If they see an opportunity to pander, they take it.

It's probably their worst overall trait, other than their ties to corporatism, which virtually every politician is guilty of.

That said, I'll take a virtue signaller over a genuinely awful person, which is what the vast majority of Republican politicians are.

Pandering is the first thing that came to mind.  It's how they get votes- they try to pander to everyone.

(01-04-2021, 08:17 PM)Nately120 Wrote: We speak English in this country. If you want to say amen you should go to Greece or Israel or wherever they spoke Latin.

So be it.
Amen is commonly accepted as part of the English language.

How many times have people said amen on this board just in instances of agreeing with someone?
(01-04-2021, 09:19 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Moronic at least.

Like I said, it's what our country is becoming.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 11:46 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Like I said, it's what our country is becoming.

Yes, I'm sure you're going to be forced to say A-woman any day now. 
Reply/Quote
After four years of Trump, I was hoping people were ready to move on from 'one guy speaks for all the party.'

Wishful thinking, I guess.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2021, 12:53 AM)Benton Wrote: After four years of Trump, I was hoping people were ready to move on from 'one guy speaks for all the party.'

Not just Brad you need to talk to on that score, my friend.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 07:58 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Republicans are worse.  Always make a big show out of standing for the national anthem and force everyone to do it with them.  Can't pray silently, instead it has to be out loud and in public before meetings and ball games.  Have to make sure EVERYONE sees how much they are for "God and Country".

Sorry, I should have clarified. When I think of virtue signalling, I think of "wokeness" rather than faux patriotism. I call the Republican's faux patriotism "nationalism." I take that a whole lot more seriously than the left's woke virtue signalling because it's a lot more insidious in its nature. American exceptionalism is a myth that has justified a LOT of genocide and terrorism around the world, so I segment it off from the left's virtue signalling which, to be honest, is more annoying than anything else.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2021, 12:53 AM)Benton Wrote: After four years of Trump, I was hoping people were ready to move on from 'one guy speaks for all the party.'

Would you agree though that Trump has many minions who not only agree with him but feel what he says and does is "totally appropriate"  whereas this is an isolated incident that is a nice distraction from the group of republicans trying to overturn the election?

Not that Trump is the entire republican party mind you, but I didn't see a bunch of Democrats jumping up to say what a smart and goof thing "Awomen" was either.  Smirk

Heck we can't get people to admit that when a group says they are violent and racist that they are violent and racist. 

Edit to add: I wish we could stay focused on Trump's foolishness about the election long enough to decide if he's breaking laws before we switch to "is 'awomen' vs 'amen' dumb or not".
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2021, 12:56 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Not just Brad you need to talk to on that score, my friend.

Agreed.

It's unfortunate. It distracts from overall party issues, or decent candidates. It's this kind of thinking that gets the same guys elected over and over again despite not doing anything to benefit their country or state. Or, flip side, gets candidates brushed aside because they're from the party of trump or party of pelosi.
Reply/Quote