Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Dennard +2.5 PFF rating
(10-20-2015, 08:52 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Valuable snaps for sure, and hopefully, he's a future star.  I'm not crying for him to see the field any more than he already is though.  The secondary is playing well, and I'm not into fixing problems that don't exist.  Eventually he'll have to step in and show why he was a first round draft pick, but I'm honestly hoping that we don't see that until next season.

I'm not as confident in the secondary as you are.  Besides linebacker, it's our biggest weakness.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2015, 09:10 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I'm not as confident in the secondary as you are.  Besides linebacker, it's our biggest weakness.  

I don;t see it as a weakness at all... i see a veteran squad with versatile players.. we are a good 5 deep.. some NFL teams are barely 3 to 4 deep.
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2015, 06:21 PM)McC Wrote: He's been burned what, twice?

I thought it was more like 3-4 times, which looks bad when you're only out there for 20% of the defensive snaps.

Dre, Jones, and Leon have played the majority of most games and have been burned less. I'm not saying Dennard is garbage or anything, but he clearly needs time to grow and I don't think we're in position to be breaking in a CB right now. This team is in great shape to make a serious playoff run.

Reggie made Dre look bad on a couple of big plays. Dre has missed some tackles. Hall and Jones haven't been perfect, but neither have been beaten badly many times. Dennard plays a handful of snaps and had really poor coverage on at least 3 separate occasions now. Not trashing the guy, but it is what it is.
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2015, 09:10 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I'm not as confident in the secondary as you are.  Besides linebacker, it's our biggest weakness.  

Which teams in the NFL have a better secondary than Reggie Nelson, George Iloka, Pacman Jones, Leon Hall, and Dre Kirkpatrick?
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(10-20-2015, 04:01 PM)InTheJungleNow9 Wrote: I would say it is less them getting burned than confusion over assignments.  It feels like most of the long pass plays against the Bengals this year have been our guys giving free releases and expecting help but not getting it.  Who that falls on is anybody's guess.  On the other side of the ball, however, our receivers are just running past people.
I think it is funny that they double or man under zone AJ and don't understand how fast MLJ is. 
Reply/Quote

Well, there is only the front 4 left, seems nit picky to me
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2015, 09:29 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Which teams in the NFL have a better secondary than Reggie Nelson, George Iloka, Pacman Jones, Leon Hall, and Dre Kirkpatrick?

Seattle for starters. Need I say more?
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2015, 09:38 PM)Fresno B Wrote: Seattle for starters. Need I say more?

That team with an atrocious #2 CB and a whining SS that can't cover?

Guess again. It's not 2013 anymore.
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2015, 03:57 PM)Synric Wrote: Dre has been awful in zone and off-man. He's leading the league in missed tackles and has allowed over 100 yards after the catch going into the Bills game...

But damn when he presses its game over for the WR.

Look up the scouting report coming out of Alabama,never played man coverage.

I have seen him save at least three TD's after another DB made a mistake by flat out running a man down and saving a touch down. Dre Kirk is fine
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2015, 09:38 PM)Fresno B Wrote: Seattle for starters. Need I say more?

Uhhh.....yes. You need say more.

So you can name a single NFL team with a better secondary and justify calling it a weakness? That logic is a weakness...

Also...you really need to ask yourself the question of whether Seattle is actually better or not.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(10-20-2015, 09:38 PM)Fresno B Wrote: Seattle for starters. Need I say more?

Yes, because the first one you named was wrong.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2015, 04:12 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: It seemed against the Bills that the corners were playing far off and getting to the receiver just as the ball was arriving. Split second sooner, they make the pick. There is definitely room for improvement.
Yes, I also noticed that. Usually Dre is out of position; slips and loses a step or two allowing the completion.  He is also likely to flail at the receiver and miss the tackle. I sure hope the DB coach is working to fix the pass defense and QUICK!
Reply/Quote
I'm confused, I thought PFF wasn't scoring games anymore?
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2015, 03:39 PM)djs7685 Wrote: Eh, Dennard has seemingly been burned more times than anyone else in our secondary this year and he's only been on the field for 20-25% of the team's snaps.

It's tough to assume that he'll have great games going forward because of 1 good game, but at least things are looking up from the first few games. Nice to see.

You must not have been watching Dre at all this year
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2015, 10:59 PM)eoxyod Wrote: You must not have been watching Dre at all this year

Dennard is awesome!!!!
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2015, 09:41 PM)Slappy from New Haven Wrote: Look up the scouting report coming out of Alabama,never played man coverage.

I have seen him save at least three TD's after another DB made a mistake by flat out running a man down and saving a touch down. Dre Kirk is fine

Nick Saban plays a lot of bump and run man coverage.

He says so himself.
Quote:we play a lot of closed coverage, [i.e.] we’re in bump-and-run a lot; we’re in that position with the guy when he gets in the move area. Now, if you’re in-phase with him when he gets into the move area, you should be become the receiver and look for the ball. That’s what you should do, and then the ball has to go through you.

http://smartfootball.com/defense/nick-saban-schools-you-on-how-to-play-pass-coverage#sthash.0VWb1fwN.IHJI2ovW.dpbs

If you pull up some draft breakdown vids of Dre at Alabama he plays a lot of bump and run...I do remember what your saying and I remember posting this on the mothership wondering why they said he played a lot of zone.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(10-20-2015, 03:57 PM)Synric Wrote: Dre has been awful in zone and off-man. He's leading the league in missed tackles and has allowed over 100 yards after the catch going into the Bills game...

But damn when he presses its game over for the WR.

This all the way Paulie's zone does not fit him at all and i cant stand it. He actually shows his hand that is off coverage and it sucks.
"The Power of life and death is in the tongue"
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2015, 04:41 PM)corpjet Wrote: Def deserving of more snaps, would rather see him play the slot then Leon in the nickel package.

I think he has a bright future and will become our #1 CB by the middle of next year.

Side note isn't nice to ease our high draft picks in, how many teams have that luxury?

Not sure about that ive yet to see someones 3rd WR go off on us. If its not broke dont fix it....
"The Power of life and death is in the tongue"
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2015, 09:46 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Uhhh.....yes. You need say more.

So you can name a single NFL team with a better secondary and justify calling it a weakness? That logic is a weakness...

Also...you really need to ask yourself the question of whether Seattle is actually better or not.

Sensitive lately? I never said weakness, I said their secondary is better than ours. Fact.
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2015, 09:58 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Yes, because the first one you named was wrong.

There is literally a debate going on right in front of your eyes about how sorry Kirkpatrick is and yet somehow our dbs are better than Seattle?  Homerism at its finest.
Reply/Quote