Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pro Bowl Bengals - who gets picked?
(12-22-2021, 10:41 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: Who cares about Pro Bowls, I’ve never understood people referencing pro bowls as a measure of some sort of greatness. I mean sure you have to be at least somewhat good or have had been good to make it, but it’s a massive popularity contest. I’m more interested in all pro team rewards.

I don’t think I’ve ever watched a Pro Bowl game in the 18 years I’ve watched football. Only thing I remember watching was Carson Palmer and Shayne Graham doing some kind of competition against other QB’s and K’s. Which was kind of cool. Do they even do that stuff anymore?

The players probably care. I’m sure a lot of them have bonuses in their contracts.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-22-2021, 10:41 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: Who cares about Pro Bowls, I’ve never understood people referencing pro bowls as a measure of some sort of greatness. I mean sure you have to be at least somewhat good or have had been good to make it, but it’s a massive popularity contest. I’m more interested in all pro team rewards.

I don’t think I’ve ever watched a Pro Bowl game in the 18 years I’ve watched football. Only thing I remember watching was Carson Palmer and Shayne Graham doing some kind of competition against other QB’s and K’s. Which was kind of cool. Do they even do that stuff anymore?

Pro Bowl is good for contracts and introductions; outside of that...

WTS Lamar's really the only WTF....We could argue here and there about others, but all in all they got it pretty right..

I will say my biggest gripe about the Pro Bowl is: Ken Riley never made one.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-22-2021, 10:15 PM)bfine32 Wrote: JB and/or Josh Allen are miles above Lamar. Perhaps you get extra votes for every time you get Covid

A lot of talking heads kiss Lamar's ass and try to spin it like he has nothing around him and single handedly carried the Ravens to all their wins this year.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2021, 03:37 AM)Whatever Wrote: A lot of talking heads kiss Lamar's ass and try to spin it like he has nothing around him and single handedly carried the Ravens to all their wins this year.

Thats not what Ive heard.  Ive been hearing a lot of he's slumping and Andrews is a beast from the talking heads.

Ive also seen articles calling Lamars pro-bowl inclusion a surprise because he's slumping this year.  Indicating may don't believe he deserves it.  And I agree, he doesn't.  
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2021, 02:05 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: They announce the rest of the Pro Bowlers tonight and I wanted to see everyone’s predictions on which Bengals will get selected. I know it’s not truly the best who are picked but it’s still cool to see guys get chosen.
I also don’t even know how they pick them now with fan/player voting but it will be interesting to see.

Hendrickson - this is a no brainer
Chase - has fallen off lately but I think he gets in

Reader should get in but he’s not a stats guy

I think McPherson will get there eventually but not with Tucker still around.

Burrow could make it but I am thinking Mahomes, Allen and Herbert. Other guys like Carr had good years and I am probably forgetting someone.

Who did I forget?  (Insert Drew Sample joke here)

Chido has been one of the best CBs in football, but he doesn't have a lot of INTs.  I don't know much about the Pro Bowl, but I believe there is a coaches and players vote as well, and he should be garnering massive respect there.  

Mixon has a shot as well.  
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2021, 10:11 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Chido has been one of the best CBs in football, but he doesn't have a lot of INTs.  I don't know much about the Pro Bowl, but I believe there is a coaches and players vote as well, and he should be garnering massive respect there.  

Mixon has a shot as well.  

Votes are in,  so is Mixon.  Chase is a starter and Hendricks is in.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2021, 10:26 AM)motoarch Wrote: Votes are in,  so is Mixon.  Chase is a starter and Hendricks is in.

I just saw.  Burrow is a 2nd alternate.  Hubbard is 4th alternate, and Hilton is 5th alternate.  

Rather surprising Darius Phillips wasn't voted in as a punt returner.   Ninja
Reply/Quote
Didn't see the alternates. Thanks for adding that.
Reply/Quote
Burrow made a snub list:

https://www.nfl.com/news/2022-nfl-pro-bowl-snubs-matthew-stafford-cordarrelle-patterson-among-players-lef
Reply/Quote
Honestly, Reader is the biggest snub. As good as Hendrickson is, I still think Reader is the best player on this defense.

But oh well. The fact that we have 3 players selected, and still feel there’s at least a few more that were deserving is quite a difference from the past handful of years.

Reply/Quote

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(12-23-2021, 11:37 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Honestly, Reader is the biggest snub. As good as Hendrickson is, I still think Reader is the best player on this defense.

But oh well. The fact that we have 3 players selected, and still feel there’s at least a few more that were deserving is quite a difference from the past handful of years.

The Burrow snub, or rather the Lamar inclusion, is odd. Burrow is seemingly penalized for his high INT numbers. Yet Lamar's high INT numbers are ignored because he also has a lot of rushing yards? It seems strange to me.

I agree with your take on Reader but since Hendrickson is putting up the sack numbers he's the choice.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2021, 10:41 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: Who cares about Pro Bowls, I’ve never understood people referencing pro bowls as a measure of some sort of greatness. I mean sure you have to be at least somewhat good or have had been good to make it, but it’s a massive popularity contest. I’m more interested in all-pro team rewards.

I don’t think I’ve ever watched a Pro Bowl game in the 18 years I’ve watched football. The only thing I remember watching was Carson Palmer and Shayne Graham doing some kind of competition against other QBs and K’s. Which was kind of cool. Do they even do that stuff anymore?

The game itself is meaningless which is why so many opt-out. But, the selection is important for several reasons. The first is that many of these players have Pro-Bowl incentives so it is money in their pockets. Secondly, every one of them wants recognition as one of the best at their jobs. They're athletes and they're competitive. But, probably most importantly for players, these selections, like All-Pro, become part of their resume for the Hall of Fame. Without recognition during their playing days, it won't matter how good they really are, they won't be in the Hall

Reply/Quote
(12-22-2021, 11:06 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Pro Bowl is good for contracts and introductions; outside of that...

WTS Lamar's really the only WTF....We could argue here and there about others, but all in all they got it pretty right..

I will say my biggest gripe about the Pro Bowl is: Ken Riley never made one.

That is downright criminal.
Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
I agree on Reader but he will never have the stats to draw attention to himself.
He does the dirty work and occupies blockers so the LBs can make plays and the DEs can get after the QB. Reader is the guy whose stats would make you wonder why he gets paid well but his team and their opponents know why. He is a stud and this would be a much worse defense without him.
Reply/Quote
Hendrickson, Burrow, Mixon, Chase and of course Awuzie are the guys I think deserve it in the AFC.

Hilton is the best Slot Corner too but I don't know if that matters even if it is its own position.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2021, 06:35 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: I agree on Reader but he will never have the stats to draw attention to himself.
He does the dirty work and occupies blockers so the LBs can make plays and the DEs can get after the QB. Reader is the guy whose stats would make you wonder why he gets paid well but his team and their opponents know why.  He is a stud and this would be a much worse defense without him.

Oh yeah. The numbers are the only reason I didn't mention Reader. Ogunjobi and BJ Hill got much better numbers but might
not be close to what Reader brings with his run stopping while being a decent pass rusher. Love our DT room.
Reply/Quote