Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Defense Against the Ravens
Tyler Huntley is an accurate passer which does not bode well for Cincinnati.

Why?

Unfortunately, the Bengals are ranked #26 in pass defense and I fear the Ravens may take full advantage of this with Huntley throwing dimes to Mark Andrews and Hollywood Brown all day. It will take solid defensive line play with lots of pressure on the quarterback and outstanding play in the secondary to defeat the Ravens’ aerial attack.

The Bengals are currently ranked fourth in rushing defense so I’m really not worried about the Ravens gaining a lot of yards on the ground.

Lou Anarumo will need to put together a super solid game plan to keep Baltimore scoring at a minimum. As inconsistent as the Bengals’ offense has been it will be up to the defense to win.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2021, 01:32 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Tyler Huntley is an accurate passer which does not bode well for Cincinnati.  

Why?

Unfortunately, the Bengals are ranked #26 in pass defense and I fear the Ravens may take full advantage of this with Huntley throwing dimes to Mark Andrews and Hollywood Brown all day.  It will take solid defensive line play with lots of pressure on the quarterback and outstanding play in the secondary to defeat the Ravens’ aerial attack.    

The Bengals are currently ranked fourth in rushing defense so I’m really not worried about the Ravens gaining a lot of yards on the ground.

Lou Anarumo will need to put together a super solid game plan to keep Baltimore scoring at a minimum.

You have to be careful using those metrics for judgement on a unit. Cincinnati is 26th in passing defense because they have faced the 5th most pass attempts. Using total yards doesn't tell you much, it is a volume stat. Cincinnati is the 16th ranked pass defense by passer rating allowed, the 18th ranked pass defense by yards per attempt and 16th ranked passed defense by Adjusted Net Yards Per Attempt.

They are roughly a league average pass defense. 
Reply/Quote
Where do we stand as far as a defense with teams scoring against us? They can pass all day long, as long as we only give up a FG or less. Just curious...
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2021, 01:51 PM)No-huddle Joe Wrote: Where do we stand as far as a defense with teams scoring against us?  They can pass all day long, as long as we only give up a FG or less.   Just curious...

Bengals are the 12th ranked scoring defense.
Reply/Quote
Release the Kraken #91

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2021, 01:38 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: You have to be careful using those metrics for judgement on a unit. Cincinnati is 26th in passing defense because they have faced the 5th most pass attempts. Using total yards doesn't tell you much, it is a volume stat. Cincinnati is the 16th ranked pass defense by passer rating allowed, the 18th ranked pass defense by yards per attempt and 16th ranked passed defense by Adjusted Net Yards Per Attempt.

They are roughly a league average pass defense. 

Thanks, these were the numbers that tell much more. Thanks KG.

(12-22-2021, 01:52 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Bengals are the 12th ranked scoring defense.

Thanks again. Cool

(12-22-2021, 04:55 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Release the Kraken #91

Yes, dude needs to be PO'ed his streak was broken and go Antwan Odom and get 5 sacks or somethin'.
Reply/Quote
The good thing is Huntley is not a good deep ball thrower. I would take away tge short tgrows and dare him to beat his defense deep.
Reply/Quote
I think the key this week will be to stop their rushing attack.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2021, 10:14 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I think the key this week will be to stop their rushing attack.

While Huntley does not have Jackson speed, he is a very capable and effective runner.  This is where all of the LB injuries will cause us the most grief, that and the fact that Mark Andrews has been on fire lately.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2021, 10:48 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: While Huntley does not have Jackson speed, he is a very capable and effective runner.  This is where all of the LB injuries will cause us the most grief, that and the fact that Mark Andrews has been on fire lately.

No doubt.  Andrews took a BEATING in that Green Bay game.  That dude has to be feeling like shit about now.  He's like their only weapon.  I hope Bates has a huge game against him.  
Reply/Quote
I think one of the keys to being good on D this week is having a great O. We've got to stop opening games looking like hammered do-do on O. Put some pressure on em by scoring early and often.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2021, 10:48 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: While Huntley does not have Jackson speed, he is a very capable and effective runner.  This is where all of the LB injuries will cause us the most grief, that and the fact that Mark Andrews has been on fire lately.

Mark Andrews scares me! He is an absolute stud TE.  Ninja
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2021, 03:36 PM)magikod Wrote: Mark Andrews scares me! He is an absolute stud TE.  Ninja

...and when was the last time the Bengals successfully covered a tight end? Maybe 1990?
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2021, 03:37 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: ...and when was the last time the Bengals successfully covered a tight end? Maybe 1990?

Before I was born, eek! (1992)  Ninja
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote

This guy worries me.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2021, 11:17 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I think one of the keys to being good on D this week is having a great O. We've got to stop opening games looking like hammered do-do on O. Put some pressure on em by scoring early and often.

So much this. Need to start out hot once this season on Offense. We have too much talent not to once in awhile.

Seems we have about 3 three and outs on Offense to start every game, some kind of record and it isn't a good one.

We are good in the middle 8 minutes that is great and all but we need to have a complete game for once.

I know we had some pretty good blowouts but those started in the 2nd quarter or later.

Cannot keep teams around in the NFL, every team has the talent to beat you.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2021, 03:37 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: ...and when was the last time the Bengals successfully covered a tight end? Maybe 1990?

The last time we played the Ravens…
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2021, 04:26 PM)Au165 Wrote: The last time we played the Ravens…

Beat me to it and it was National TE day, Uzomah had the much better day than Andrews...
Reply/Quote