Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devin white write up
He's a Devin white write-up before his junior season. There hasn't been a more recent one. The consensus though is that he's massively fixed his getting off blocks issues and his mental processing speed although he still struggles with depth of zone coverage issues. But he has range, a ELITE Blitzer, and is a true sideline to sideline linebacker. Multiple scouts have said this year that white is as good if not better than roquan snith last year.

range and long speed. Covers a lot of ground in pursuit and closes quickly on ball carriers on the perimeter. Movement skills to be ideal in coverage. Physical tackler who arrives with a vengeance. Ability to weave around traffic in pursuit without losing speed. Adept blitzer who won’t sit on blocks, works to the edge of the blockers and twists his body to get through slivers of space. Wraps up pretty well outside his frame. Typically takes good angles to the football. If the flashes become more consistent, he has the ability to make plays behind the line of scrimmage.

CONS: Mental processing is all over the place. Doesn’t trust his keys and will fly around chasing backfield motion and fakes. Delayed decisions cause him to get caught at the second level consistently. Can’t get off blocks against anyone. Auburn tight ends whooped him and even a wide receiver clamped him up once. Instincts are subpar and he’s not Roquan Smith-explosive as an athlete, hampering his ability to make up for uncertain reads and false steps. Wish he played with the same aggressiveness every snap.
Reply/Quote
Those cons are enough to pass on him. The reality is that we need a LB that can COVER. Not sure if he's it, but we can't keep having RBs and TEs running free all over the field in the passing game.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2018, 03:20 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Those cons are enough to pass on him.  The reality is that we need a LB that can COVER.  Not sure if he's it, but we can't keep having RBs and TEs running free all over the field in the passing game.

In the passing game he's elite. Just in the run game similar to lve coming out he gets caught up in the traffic. 
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2018, 10:18 AM)Jpoore Wrote: CONS: Mental processing is all over the place. Doesn’t trust his keys and will fly around chasing backfield motion and fakes. Delayed decisions cause him to get caught at the second level consistently. Can’t get off blocks against anyone. Auburn tight ends whooped him and even a wide receiver clamped him up once. Instincts are subpar and he’s not Roquan Smith-explosive as an athlete, hampering his ability to make up for uncertain reads and false steps. Wish he played with the same aggressiveness every snap.

That phrase, when it comes to drafting a top of the class LB, just don't go well together.  A team's Alpha Inside LB, is supposed to be the "Quarterback of the defense".  Do you really want to put that in the hands of a guy that is slow to diagnose a play?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2018, 08:35 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That phrase, when it comes to drafting a top of the class LB, just don't go well together.  A team's Alpha Inside LB, is supposed to be the "Quarterback of the defense".  Do you really want to put that in the hands of a guy that is slow to diagnose a play?

That report was before the season. All reports and tape now is that his mental processing has vastly improved. Knows how and where to clog running lanes.
Reply/Quote
Pretty sure he'll be a Cowboy

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/1068198653532221441
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-30-2018, 10:02 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Pretty sure he'll be a Cowboy

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/1068198653532221441

Well, if HGR is behind him, perhaps we should nickname him "The Roughrider"?   Hilarious

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
PFF gave Devin White a 90.7 coverage grade this year at LSU, FWIW.
Quote:White earned a 90.7 coverage grade with the Tigers in 2018, which should music to Cincinnati's ears given the team's off-ball LB play this season.
https://twitter.com/PFF_Bengals/status/1069696864759570434
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
There are other scouts and commentators who believe that he could be a Ray Lewis type of player for modern football. If comparable o-line, QB, WR, or DE talent isn't there, I don't see how you pass on him if you're the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
People need to remember coming out of HS this guy was more of a RB he happened to play LB than a true LB. When he got to LSU he wanted to play HB but they kind of pushed him into LB so it makes sense that it took him some time to pick up the mental side, but if you watched him play this year he has that figured out. He is a Deion Jones type, but bigger, who is going to kill the combine with his speed and athleticism. There is no question in my mind that he SHOULD be our pick wherever that ends up.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2018, 10:13 AM)Au165 Wrote: People need to remember coming out of HS this guy was more of a RB he happened to play LB than a true LB. When he got to LSU he wanted to play HB but they kind of pushed him into LB so it makes sense that it took him some time to pick up the mental side, but if you watched him play this year he has that figured out. He is a Deion Jones type, but bigger, who is going to kill the combine with his speed and athleticism.  There is no question in my mind that he SHOULD be our pick wherever that ends up.

Idk if he will be there at our pick. Seems like a top 5 pick.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
It will be very interesting to see who ends up as DC (and HC) this offseason. They will have a big input in where to prioritize LB in the draft. This team needs an attacking defense, not a passive one.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
McShay has us selecting him in his first mock
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2018, 10:13 AM)Au165 Wrote: People need to remember coming out of HS this guy was more of a RB he happened to play LB than a true LB. When he got to LSU he wanted to play HB but they kind of pushed him into LB so it makes sense that it took him some time to pick up the mental side, but if you watched him play this year he has that figured out. He is a Deion Jones type, but bigger, who is going to kill the combine with his speed and athleticism.  There is no question in my mind that he SHOULD be our pick wherever that ends up.

It's pretty impressive that White has been able to develop so much at LB over the past two years after coming to LSU as a RB.
White hits all that the Marvin Lewis Bengals look for...
100+ tackles in a season - check
Able to get TFLs - check
Good production in college for 2+ seasons - check

Hit growth in coverage this year shows me he really could become an elite 3-down LB and deserving of a pick between 8-12 (where I think Bengals will ultimate end up selecting).
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I really like White. The only other inside linebacker who compares is Wilson from Alabama who is more polished, but with less upside. After seeing what Vander Esch and Smith have done for the Cowboys and Bears this year, I really think this could be a huge impact pick that makes the whole defense better immediately. I also think the fact he has only been a linebacker for a couple of years, but has been so productive, makes his upside phenomenal when he finally learns the position. I think any right tackle or tight end would be a reach in the 8-15 range and those are the only needs that really compare with linebacker at this point.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2018, 06:57 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Idk if he will be there at our pick. Seems like a top 5 pick.

I'm afraid you might be right.   I don't see him dropping to us... unless the consensus is he's not going to be a smart enough player.
Reply/Quote
Early in the season I thought we would be picking too late to have a chance and we still might, but I'd have no problem with trading up.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-18-2018, 08:24 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Early in the season I thought we would be picking too late to have a chance and we still might, but I'd have no problem with trading up.

This is actually a good year for LB; so I wouldn't trade up maybe down but not up.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
I'd take Mack Wilson if White was gone and be fine with it. We should have a chance at one of them, if not that means another really good player has fallen in to our lap.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2018, 11:23 AM)Au165 Wrote: I'd take Mack Wilson if White was gone and be fine with it. We should have a chance at one of them, if not that means another really good player has fallen in to our lap.

Per Walter Football Mack is projected to run in the area of a 4.79.

Too slow.

I truly hope he runs a lot faster.   He's well thought of.   But we don't need any more slow backers.   We have a room full of them (except Vigil and Evans)
Reply/Quote