Poll: Does Devon Still Make the Team this year?
Yes! Makes the 53 man roster
No he doesn't make it all
Yes he makes the practice squad if eligible.
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devon Still Makes the team? I don't see it.
He was in with the 2nd and 3rd stringers and did nothing from what I saw.
He was constantly being thrown back and pushed out of plays.

I feel for the guy...but honestly I'd rather keep Hardison and the Williams at this point than Keep Still.

If he has practice squad eligibility I say keep him there.

But do I think he makes the 53 no...
[Image: 2qGWGd.png]
Reply/Quote
If Cedric Peerman can make the team for being team preacher, I believe Devon Still deserves to make the squad for being so inspirational (and to keep Leah on health insurance).
The artist formerly known as Heretic
Reply/Quote
Still wouldn't have made it last season if it wasn't for circumstance. He's out. All that talk about getting stronger and he showed nothing yet again. Ced should be beat out by younger backs but it's not ONLY because he's a preacher, he is a special teams ace, but hopefully they are willing to move on from him if Watson and co continue to shine. Same with Peko if our young DT's shine. I like Peko, but why cut young players at the position for one more year with him. There are going to be some tough decisions, but why cut young talent for folks on the final year of their contract. Championship teams wouldn't let loyalty dictate roster as much as Marv and Co does.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Call me a filthy cynic but the guy has to play eventually to earn a spot anywhere in that organization. Otherwise the Bengals may as well find a guy who can't play in the NFL who has a kid that isn't in remission to put on the bench. Maybe that sounds odd, but there is the NFL's next charity outreach; designate a spot on the roster for someone who has a kid with cancer.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2015, 12:22 PM)GarbageDisposal Wrote: If Cedric Peerman can make the team for being team preacher, I believe Devon Still deserves to make the squad for being so inspirational (and to keep Leah on health insurance).

Except one of those players actually provides value to the team Yawn
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
He is not eligible for the P.S., and he will not make the team. However it wouldn't surprise me if they let him go early to give him a better chance of catching on somewhere else.

Someone will do it.
Reply/Quote
I'd like to see them put him on the PS or something for insurance/daughter's sake.

But unless he has a massive turn around in remaining pre season games I don't know how he can make the 53 ?
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2015, 12:43 PM)Stormborn Wrote: He is not eligible for the P.S., and he will not make the team. However it wouldn't surprise me if they let him go early to give him a better chance of catching on somewhere else.

Someone will do it.

Sounds like the way to go.

Sorry Devon, but we have gave you plenty of chances here. Sucks though, i really liked the dude in college
and i was really hoping that this year he would bring back that potential.

But if he cannot dominate the 2's and 3's of a crappy Giants O-line...
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2015, 12:32 PM)jj22 Wrote:  I like Peko, but why cut young players at the position for one more year with him.

The coaches will keep the best players.

And they are not loyal to a fault.  Just ask Willie Anderson, Rudi Johnson, Deltha O'Neal, Ochocinco, Kyle Cook and many others who were shown the door.
Reply/Quote
We all want him to do well, but he hasn't shown anything these last two seasons. I think he should probably go to a 3-4 team and try his luck at being an end in that scheme.

Reply/Quote
(08-18-2015, 12:58 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The coaches will keep the best players.

And they are not loyal to a fault.  Just ask Willie Anderson, Rudi Johnson, Deltha O'Neal, Ochocinco, Kyle Cook and many others who were shown the door.

Save Cook (injuries/increasingly ineffective and overpaid, though he hasn't found work since), those players were on the tail ends of their careers or damn near geriatric and it was little surprise when all of them left. Ask Leon Hall and Peko for current examples (not insinuating they should be cut), and even Dalton to an extent (for awhile he was immune to all criticism, it was always everyone else who had to "do better": the defense's fault for not being able to stop them every time after constant 3 and outs, or A.J. Green's fault for dropping a couple balls). 

If you're trying to prove the Bengals aren't loyal to a fault, those guys won't cut the mustard. It's like the people who argue we should never sign any impact F.A. because overpaying mediocre players like Antonio Bryant, Antwan Odom, and Laveranues Coles 5-7 years ago didn't pan out.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2015, 01:13 PM)GarbageDisposal Wrote:  Ask Leon Hall and Peko for current examples (not insinuating they should be cut),

They are both good players who deserve to be on the roster.  So what is your point?

(08-18-2015, 01:13 PM)GarbageDisposal Wrote:  and even Dalton to an extent (for awhile he was immune to all criticism, it was always everyone else who had to "do better": the defense's fault for not being able to stop them every time after constant 3 and outs, or A.J. Green's fault for dropping a couple balls). 
At no time did Dalton deserve to be cut or benched and none of the coaches never said any of thse tings to deflect blame from Dalton.
So, again, what is your point?
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2015, 01:19 PM)GarbageDisposal Wrote: Of course they did. They didn't want to damage the Red Rocket's fragile psyche after a fourth consecutive playoff dud. I'm not going to look up the quotes for you, but Dalton himself even echoed these sentiments after the Chargers' playoff debacle.

Don't know what you are talking about.  Coaches have always acknowledged that Dalton needs to improve his play and be more consistent.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2015, 01:18 PM)fredtoast Wrote: At no time did Dalton deserve to be cut or benched and none of the coaches never said any of thse tings to deflect blame from Dalton.

I agree he has done nothing to get cut, but the guy had a game with a passer rating of 2 last year. Some coaches may have let him watch the end of that from the sidelines.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-18-2015, 01:19 PM)GarbageDisposal Wrote: As to Hall and Peko, they are horribly overpaid, you know it and I know it.

Hall might eboverpaid, but that happens with a lot of veterans when they get to the final years of their contracts.

Peko only makes $3.7 mullion.  I don't think you could replace him much cheaper than that.  Even the most mediocre DTs in free agency were getting $3 million a year.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2015, 01:18 PM)fredtoast Wrote: They are both good players who deserve to be on the roster.  So what is your point?

At no time did Dalton deserve to be cut or benched and none of the coaches never said any of thse tings to deflect blame from Dalton.

Of course they did. They didn't want to damage the Red Rocket's fragile psyche after a fourth consecutive playoff dud, so Giggles & Crew made statements to the effect of how it "wasn't the QB's fault". I'm not going to look up the quotes for you, but Dalton himself even echoed these sentiments after the Chargers' playoff debacle, for which he received much criticism. It's time to hold the Red Rocket accountable: put up or shut up.

As to Hall and Peko, they are horribly overpaid, you know it and I know it, but the team (or Hobspin, can't remember, though they are one and the same) has actually come out and said "it sends a good message" to overpay them.

[Image: vladimir-putin-laughing.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2015, 12:22 PM)GarbageDisposal Wrote: If Cedric Peerman can make the team for being team preacher, I believe Devon Still deserves to make the squad for being so inspirational (and to keep Leah on health insurance).

Still can keep his insurance (Cobra) while he goes into the public sector and gets a job (he has a college degree).

I feel bad for his family, but he is young and can catch on potentially somewhere else in the NFL or the CFL. If not, he is no different than others, he needs to go find a job to support his daughter.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote

Ced is a real contributor on special teams and leads the universe on fourth preseason game yardage from scrimmage Cool .  I love Devon's story, but I can't see him knocking off Thompson or Hardison.  Heck, right now I would guess that the UDFA from Clemson (Williams) has a better shot than Still. 

I do, however, believe he will get picked up by another team.  I have thought for some time that he might be better suited as a 3-4 DE.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2015, 01:51 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Ced is a real contributor on special teams and leads the universe on fourth preseason game yardage from scrimmage Cool .  I love Devon's story, but I can't see him knocking off Thompson or Hardison.  Heck, right now I would guess that the UDFA from Clemson (Williams) has a better shot than Still. 

I do, however, believe he will get picked up by another team.  I have thought for some time that he might be better suited as a 3-4 DE.

Good point...inb4 he's the next Justin Smith and goes to a 3-4 team and tears it up. Lol. For as good as he looked in college he can't be this bad...
Reply/Quote
if it was close between Still and another DT, I'd take Still, but it's not even close. Even Kwame Geathers looks better than Still. Sims, Hardison, and Williams are all playing better than Still. I don't see a place for him on our roster. Not unless he seriously picks it up these next 2-3 preseason games.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote