Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devonta Smith
(01-12-2021, 01:05 AM)TheFan Wrote: He needs a pretty stacked team at this point in his career. I think they'd be better off getting a QB and letting them learn. 

Also, he'll be 36 by the start of next season. And he's not close to being as good as Brees and Brady. Definitely a tier below those guys. The Falcons have only had 2 winning seasons in the past 8 years, as crazy as that may seem.

I’m not saying he’s as good as Brees or Brady. Longevity wise, he can play that long. He took his team to a super bowl, then they fell apart around him. Their pass offense has been really good his whole career. What needs fixing is the defense and run game.

I’m not a huge Ryan fan or anything. I just think all the talk in the media about Atlanta taking a Qb seems a bit forced. If they are looking to do the Brett Favre, Aaron Rodgers thing, that makes some sense—but it won’t increase their win total next year. What makes more sense is selecting a premier player with a top 5 pick to improve a lousy supporting team.

If I’m a new coach, I’m trying to make my team better this year for job security. Not everyone is given a 3-4 year plan like Zac. If I knew I had 3-4 years, sure, take the QB and lose and obtain high draft picks. But no, you want to win. So make the team better first and foremost.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2021, 01:30 AM)masterpanthera_t Wrote: Smith looks fast and all, but I'm a bit concerned that he scored all three TDs being practically uncovered. The first two, catching out of the backfield, and the last one, given a free release. He looks slight enough that I don't know if he can beat man to man coverage at the NFL level. But I'm basing this on just the three tds I saw him score today, and have never seen any other highlights of him ever.

He’s being compared to Marvin Harrison. Harrison was good, and never had issues with injuries really. Smith is a baller. He’s going to be good. Definitely a top 5 pick.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2021, 12:16 AM)Big Boss Wrote: Sewell is 100% the pick if he's there.
If Sewell's gone and Chase and Smith are there, ask Burrow who he wants.
If Sewell and Chase/Smith are gone, take the one left.

This. I’d be ecstatic with any of the 3.

Reply/Quote
At one time I wanted to trade up for Sewell.

I am not so sure now. I probably would if it meant giving up a 3rd but I want to keep our 2nd.

There will be a great value player there at 5.

I see it like this possibly.
1. Lawrence - Jacksonville
2. Zach Wilson - Team trade up for this pick.
3. Peneii Sewell - Dolphins
4. Micah Parsons - Falcons
5. Ja'marr Chase - Bengals
Reply/Quote
Hard no from me.

I'll still take Chase, all day erry day.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Damn it. Why did he have to hurt those fingers. Now I can question the pick if it happens. But wow does that guy look like something special.
Reply/Quote
If you are taking a WR over Sewell you better be guaranteeing that the O-Line is good enough to protect Burrow.
Reply/Quote
Show of hands:  How many of you saw Devonta Smith play for the first time last night?  Please don't go all crazy like this; it's only one game.  Kerry Coombs, the Ohio State defensive coordinator, dialed up cover two coverage all night  to prevent the long bomb and stupidly gave Devonta Smith free release.  I've seen Devonta play other teams and against man coverage or press coverage he's not nearly as impressive.

Devonta will go early for sure but he's too small to play in the AFC North and he's too small to block downfield.

Besides, the Bengals have far more pressing needs than wide receiver.

Hard pass from me.
Reply/Quote
I'm only comfortable with WR in the draft, if they thoroughly address the line with real quality players in FA. If we get more XSF/Spain type players, then we will still need to go Oline.

I'd be okay with Parsons too in this scenario because we need a stud LB, but I can live with an explosive offense for one year before addressing the defense again. All depends on FA though.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2021, 09:04 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Show of hands:  How many of you saw Devonta Smith play for the first time last night?  Please don't go all crazy like this; it's only one game.  Kerry Coombs, the Ohio State defensive coordinator, dialed up cover two coverage all night  to prevent the long bomb and stupidly gave Devonta Smith free release.  I've seen Devonta play other teams and against man coverage or press coverage he's not nearly as impressive.

Devonta will go early for sure but he's too small to play in the AFC North and he's too small to block downfield.

Hard pass from me.

Someone forgot to tell Antonio Brown that all those years...

Reply/Quote
(01-12-2021, 09:04 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Show of hands:  How many of you saw Devonta Smith play for the first time last night?  Please don't go all crazy like this; it's only one game.  Kerry Coombs, the Ohio State defensive coordinator, dialed up cover two coverage all night  to prevent the long bomb and stupidly gave Devonta Smith free release.  I've seen Devonta play other teams and against man coverage or press coverage he's not nearly as impressive.

Hard pass from me.

Not nearly as impressive against who?? He had 118 catches, nearly 1900 yards, and 23 TD's in 13 games this season. Let's also keep in mind there were a lot of blow outs where he wasn't even on the field a good chunk of the second half of games. 

If Sewell is there at No. 5 you take him. If not and Smith is, it would be hard to pass on that talent. 
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2021, 09:37 AM)Fullrock Wrote: Not nearly as impressive against who?? He had 118 catches, nearly 1900 yards, and 23 TD's in 13 games this season. Let's also keep in mind there were a lot of blow outs where he wasn't even on the field a good chunk of the second half of games. 

If Sewell is there at No. 5 you take him. If not and Smith is, it would be hard to pass on that talent. 

Kid won the Heisman as a WR. Some people have some very strange takes...

Reply/Quote
The only thing that worries me about him is he is a string bean. Just don't know how that kind of body will hold up in the NFL.

But man is he electric!
Reply/Quote

Hard pass from me.
So you are saying there is a size requirement for a WR to play in the AFC North? 
How did Antonio Brown fare vs the North? He is smaller than Devonta Smith.....how about Hollywood Brown?
Reply/Quote
Hopefully this showing makes Miami feel like they can't pass on him and want to reunite him with Tua. That would be ideal for us here as it greatly increases the odds of Sewell or Chase being there at 5.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(01-12-2021, 10:23 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Hopefully this showing makes Miami feel like they can't pass on him and want to reunite him with Tua. That would be ideal for us here as it greatly increases the odds of Sewell or Chase being there at 5.

Yep.  This draft is going to be exciting.
Reply/Quote
Ja'Marr Chase and Devonta Smith will be this year's AJ Green and Julio Jones (not because of their similarities, but because they're both top 5 value picks at WR in the same year).

It'll be interesting to see where they go. I do think Smith's stock will take a hit in February because he apparently does not run a low 4.4 40 (somewhere in the high 4.4s or low 4.5s is what people are expecting). If he runs a, say, 4.51, I think he falls behind Chase (assuming Chase does run a 4.40 as expected).

If they are both there at 5 and Sewell is gone and no OT prospect has risen to be considered a top 5 or top 10 talent (or if we find some Oline help in free agency), it'd be a tough call. I think I would still take Chase though. What he and Burrow did was incredible in 2019 and he fills the hole left by Green perfectly.

But if we end up picking Smith, I wouldn't be upset at all, especially since I know ZT will gauge Burrow in regards to who he would prefer. If Burrow picks Smith over his former teammate, that's an endorsement that no one should ignore.
Reply/Quote
Smith looks great. I'd be happy with Sewell, Chase, or Smith. If all three are gone at pick 5, I'll cry.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2021, 02:18 AM)SuperBowlBound! Wrote: At one time I wanted to trade up for Sewell.

I am not so sure now. I probably would if it meant giving up a 3rd but I want to keep our 2nd.

There will be a great value player there at 5.

I see it like this possibly.
1. Lawrence - Jacksonville
2. Zach Wilson - Team trade up for this pick.
3. Peneii Sewell - Dolphins
4. Micah Parsons - Falcons
5. Ja'marr Chase - Bengals

Does anyone know if Waddle is coming out and if so where he'd be expected to go?
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2021, 12:21 AM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: He's going to Miami. They need weapons.

Edit:
(1) Laurence
(2) Sewell
(3) Smith
(4) Parsons
(5) Trade down? Or Chase? Or pick first edge player?

Maybe a trade for a QB shakes things up, but we could very well be the team doing the trade down.

The Jets have a difficult decision to make.
Do they replace Darnold (who has had 3 years) and go with either Fields or Wilson?
Do they get Darnold an elite WR like Smith or Chase?
Or do they move on from George Fant as their RT and take Sewell?

As for ATL, they might choose to go QB and groom behind Ryan for a year (or two) given Ryan's age. They also haven't been 4-12 since 2013, so they could be thinking they won't ever pick this high for a long time, and as such could be their opportunity for a QB.
If they don't go QB, they need defense.

Either way, I think it's pretty much a guarantee that the Bengals will be able to get one of Sewell, Smith, or Chase.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote