Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devonta Smith
(01-12-2021, 10:39 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: Does anyone know if Waddle is coming out and if so where he'd be expected to go?

He's expected to be drafted, could go anywhere between 6-15 probably.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2021, 10:20 AM)impactplaya Wrote: So you are saying there is a size requirement for a WR to play in the AFC North? 
How did Antonio Brown fare vs the North? He is smaller than Devonta Smith.....how about Hollywood Brown?

Kind of a poor choice for comparison, completely different body styles.  Brown is listed as 5'10" 185, and Smith is 6'1" 175.  

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2021, 10:52 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Kind of a poor choice for comparison, completely different body styles.  Brown is listed as 5'10" 185, and Smith is 6'1" 175.  

How do we define small then ?
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2021, 10:55 AM)impactplaya Wrote: How do we define small then ?

John Ross   Mellow   LOL

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Well, he is already injured so he would fit in perfectly with our other 1st rounders.

The man did look unstoppable last night. There is an interesting discussion to be had around breakout age vs. production. Chase was dominating the SEC at 19 years old and has a relationship with Burrow already. I wonder how much input Joe has. If they do go Smith, that says a ton about him.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2021, 10:58 AM)BleedNOrange Wrote: Well, he is already injured so he would fit in perfectly with our other 1st rounders.

The man did look unstoppable last night.  There is an interesting discussion to be had around breakout age vs. production.  Chase was dominating the SEC at 19 years old and has a relationship with Burrow already.  I wonder how much input Joe has.  If they do go Smith, that says a ton about him.

If Chase and Smith are close, it would only make sense to me to take the player Burrow is already familiar with.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2021, 12:16 AM)Big Boss Wrote: Sewell is 100% the pick if he's there.
If Sewell's gone and Chase and Smith are there, ask Burrow who he wants.
If Sewell and Chase/Smith are gone, take the one left.

Pretty much this, although everyone should understand that Smith was schemed (WIDE) open all night.  Sure, he has speed to burn and runs great routes, but he got hit once really hard and was injured.  This is how I can see it playing out for the 175 Smith.  Ja'Marr Chase is a pure Alpha dog and put of 1700 yards and 20 TDs in the SEC when he was 19.

Also, Chase is the reason the middle of the field so much for Jefferson, Moss, and CEH.  
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2021, 11:02 AM)Sled21 Wrote: If Chase and Smith are close, it would only make sense to me to take the player Burrow is already familiar with.

That should have absolutely zero factor in who they select.  They should take whoever they project to be the better player.

The idea that we need to take Chase because Burrow knows him is ridiculous.  We're building out a professional roster, not picking our team for a pickup game at the YMCA.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2021, 11:26 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: That should have absolutely zero factor in who they select.  They should take whoever they project to be the better player.

The idea that we need to take Chase because Burrow knows him is ridiculous.  We're building out a professional roster, not picking our team for a pickup game at the YMCA.

IDK... it’s working down in Tampa. Gronk and AB got their jobs by being on Brady’s friend zone.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2021, 11:31 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: IDK... it’s working down in Tampa. Gronk and AB got their jobs by being on Brady’s friend zone.

AB is working again?
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2021, 09:04 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Show of hands:  How many of you saw Devonta Smith play for the first time last night?  Please don't go all crazy like this; it's only one game.  Kerry Coombs, the Ohio State defensive coordinator, dialed up cover two coverage all night  to prevent the long bomb and stupidly gave Devonta Smith free release.  I've seen Devonta play other teams and against man coverage or press coverage he's not nearly as impressive.

Devonta will go early for sure but he's too small to play in the AFC North and he's too small to block downfield.

Besides, the Bengals have far more pressing needs than wide receiver.

Hard pass from me.

Which OSU player do you want? Because I'd say with that assessment you're one of the few folks with his hand up.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-12-2021, 11:26 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: That should have absolutely zero factor in who they select.  They should take whoever they project to be the better player.

What's ridiculous is thinking you shouldn't get input from the future of your franchise.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-12-2021, 11:35 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: AB is working again?

He had a 36yard TD in their playoff game this past weekend.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2021, 11:31 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: IDK... it’s working down in Tampa. Gronk and AB got their jobs by being on Brady’s friend zone.

Tom Brady is the greatest QB of all time, has won 6 Superbowls, and has been playing in the league for 20 years.  I think he probably knows a tad more than Joe Burrow about succeeding at this level.

Not to mention, we don't even know how much Brady influenced those decisions.  He more seems like Gronk came back to play for Brady when they opportunity presented itself than Brady went out and campaigned specifically for Gronk.  As to AB, he's a unique case.  He was one the league's best WR's just sitting out there waiting to be snagged.  It's not as if there were another comparable FA available midseason and they just went with him because he knew Tom better than the other elite WR available in October.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2021, 11:26 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: That should have absolutely zero factor in who they select.  They should take whoever they project to be the better player.

It should only be a factor if the two players you’re considering are rated very similarly.

I posted an interview here a while back where Jeff Blake talked about how important his relationship with his WR’s was to their chemistry. He said they spent all their time together (at their houses, going to clubs, etc), while a guy like Klinger couldn’t really relate to them with his cowboy hats (lol) and whatnot. Now it’s obviously not a super big deal, but it’s a plus.

Reply/Quote
(01-12-2021, 11:43 AM)bfine32 Wrote: What's ridiculous is thinking you shouldn't get input from the future of your franchise.

Would you please stop following me around looking to pick a fight?  Did I say we shouldn't get input? 

No, I said we shouldn't just take Chase because he's familiar with Burrow.  The person I replied to said if Chase and Smith were close we should take Chase because he's familair with Burrow.

There's nothing wrong with asking Joe Burrow questions about Chase.  i.e. Is he a good teammate?, How's his work ethic?, What can you tell us we're not seeing?, etc.

Getting input is entirely different than looking at a draft board where you have two WR's very close, and deciding to take one over the other only because he's friends with your rookie QB.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2021, 11:54 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It should only be a factor if the two players you’re considering are rated very similarly.

I posted an interview here a while back where Jeff Blake talked about how important his relationship with his WR’s was to their chemistry. He said they spent all their time together (at their houses, going to clubs, etc), while a guy like Klinger couldn’t really relate to them with his cowboy hats (lol) and whatnot. Now it’s obviously not a super big deal, but it’s a plus.

But who's to say that Burrow and Smith may not have better chemistry than Burrow and Chase?  Maybe they end being closer and more sync at the pro level than Burrow and Chase would.

I don't know enough about either of Chase and Smith's peronalities to know this, but there's nothing prevents players with no history in college from become great teammates.

I don't think you ever give a prospect an edge due to familarity.  You need to your homework on each player, down to every little detail, and decide who pairs better with your QB, and who fits your offense better.

Fwiw, I've actually called for us to draft Chase numerous times.  I actually did again just last night.  But I'm doing it because I think he's a great player and I like his production for his age, and his size, better than Smith.  I'm not automatically picking him because he used to play with Burrow.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2021, 11:40 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Which OSU player do you want? Because I'd say with that assessment you're one of the few folks with his hand up.

There are no Ohio State players I would draft in 2021.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2021, 10:20 AM)impactplaya Wrote: So you are saying there is a size requirement for a WR to play in the AFC North? 
How did Antonio Brown fare vs the North? He is smaller than Devonta Smith.....how about Hollywood Brown?

Brown is thicker and more muscular than Smith.

Do you want your #5 pick to have the stats of Marquise Brown?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2021, 12:21 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Brown is thicker and more muscular than Smith.

Do you want your #5 pick to have the stats of Marquise Brown?

Marquis Brown plays in a run heavy offense.
He had 100 targets last season. Thats about 6 per
Game on average. What is asked to do in the Ravens
Offense he does well. He must block well too for 
His size too as evidence of the Ravens rushing numbers

Its all relative in the NFL.Tyrek Hill is small...5'10 189
But in the Chiefs offense he is their go to man with Kelce
He had 87 catches 15 TDs.

Hill and Brown are the same WR. Just in very 2 different
Offensive schemes.
Reply/Quote