Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Diabetes
I hear of many people that struggle with it. I know it is when your kidneys start failing due to lack of insulin right? You guys have it or know of anyone that has it? My coworker complained he was thirsty all the time when he went to the doctor and found out he had it. I know of a few people that have lived with it for years too. I myself can slip into a food coma and eat poorly. I don't want to get this as a result. If you eat healthy is your chances of getting it almost nothing?
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2015, 04:27 PM)packerbacker Wrote: I hear of many people that struggle with it. I know it is when your kidneys start failing due to lack of insulin right? You guys have it or know of anyone that has it? My coworker complained he was thirsty all the time when he went to the doctor and found out he had it. I know of a few people that have lived with it for years too. I myself can slip into a food coma and eat poorly. I don't want to get this as a result. If you eat healthy is your chances of getting it almost nothing?
There's 2 kinds...  Type 1 (born with it) and Type 2 (develop it).  My dad is type 2.  He doesn't have to take insulin shots.  It's controlled by diet and medication.

It can do so much more than cause kidney failure.  It can cause blindness, and the need for amputation of the feet, if not the whole leg.  Probably more than that....  It's a pretty wicked disease.

Fun fact...  Jay Cutler is a type 1 diabetic.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2015, 04:27 PM)packerbacker Wrote: I hear of many people that struggle with it. I know it is when your kidneys start failing due to lack of insulin right? You guys have it or know of anyone that has it? My coworker complained he was thirsty all the time when he went to the doctor and found out he had it. I know of a few people that have lived with it for years too. I myself can slip into a food coma and eat poorly. I don't want to get this as a result. If you eat healthy is your chances of getting it almost nothing?

You're saying it wrong. 

[Image: wilford-brimley-DIABEETUS.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Diabetes comes in many different forms. Most typically know about T1 (formerly known as juvenile) and T2 (formerly known as adult onset). These names have changed due to inconsistencies in when they can actually arise. T1 is the result of the pancreas not producing enough insulin. T2 is typically derived as the cells stop responding to insulin as they should. Eventually, the pancreas can stop producing insulin with T2 as well as it becomes overworked trying to compensate.

T2 is much more prevalent as it is tied to a sedentary lifestyle and being overweight. There is also a genetic factor involved making some people more likely to develop the disease than others. As with anything, proper diet and exercise can decrease your chances of developing the disease, but nothing is a guarantee.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
My uncle had Type 1. He's dead. He was lucky, daily insulin shots and a kidney transplant, he was able to make it to 55 before he died. And he didn't have to have his feet amputated.

My brother has Type 2. He ate 4-5 candy bars every day and a couple 2 liters of Mt. Dew. He still has his feet. And giant belly.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2015, 11:23 PM)Benton Wrote: My uncle had Type 1. He's dead. He was lucky, daily insulin shots and a kidney transplant, he was able to make it to 55 before he died. And he didn't have to have his feet amputated.

My brother has Type 2. He ate 4-5 candy bars every day and a couple 2 liters of Mt. Dew. He still has his feet. And giant belly.

Soda used to be a downfall for me. I haven't had a problem without it, though. For me it was never really about the sweet tooth. It's the starches and grains.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2015, 11:37 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Soda used to be a downfall for me. I haven't had a problem without it, though. For me it was never really about the sweet tooth. It's the starches and grains.

I quit a couple years ago. The first week was hard, but it was mostly habitual. Once you get used to ordering water or unsweet tea, it's not a big deal. And I used to drink at least a 2 liter of soda a day.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2015, 10:48 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: You're saying it wrong. 

[Image: wilford-brimley-DIABEETUS.jpg]

[Image: 200?cb=20061218232404]
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2015, 11:37 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Soda used to be a downfall for me. I haven't had a problem without it, though. For me it was never really about the sweet tooth. It's the starches and grains.

(09-24-2015, 11:55 PM)Benton Wrote: I quit a couple years ago. The first week was hard, but it was mostly habitual. Once you get used to ordering water or unsweet tea, it's not a big deal. And I used to drink at least a 2 liter of soda a day.

I really need to cut out the soda. 
But that's been my go to since I really cut back on my drinking (booze).
Reply/Quote

Yeah I have a nasty pop habit. I drink at least 4-5 Cokes a day. But I don't eat too much other junk food, so I'm not overweight. 
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
One way to cure it is remove one of your kidneys lol.
Reply/Quote
I drink tons of pop and eat pizza. I think it is time to quit starting now. I drink alot of squirt and Root beer.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2015, 12:22 AM)magikod Wrote: Yeah I have a nasty pop habit. I drink at least 4-5 Cokes a day. But I don't eat too much other junk food, so I'm not overweight. 

For me it might be a 20oz a week, now, probably average even less. And always diet. Quickest way to spike your blood sugar is pop. I had a relapse after my diagnosis and it hasn't been the same since. I was keeping my A1C almost normal with minimal work and the lowest dose of Metformin. I think I screwed up my system since then because I can't get my blood sugar below 200. I could have had a low carb dinner at 7, test my sugar at 6.30 the next morning and it is still over 200.

Reply/Quote

Me too.....although I used to drink a lot of sports drinks and soda when I ate out.  For me....it was a combination of things.  It was mostly genetics.  It is rather prevalent on both sides of our family....although it didn't effect our parents or grandparents, many extended relatives had/have it, and my brother and I.  I am not real overweight (6' 2", 215 lbs.), nor is my brother.  We were both playing numerous sports all the way into our late 20s.  He rides bikes, lifts, and does some other exercise....I work a lot of hours, so I was hit and miss on the exercise....doing quite a bit of hiking.  However, once out of college, there was no more manual labor, and a lot of sitting.  I still hiked some, was as active as I could....but combining that with bad genes, smoking, and poor diet probably led to the onset.

Now, I avoid carbs like the plague.  I'll have a few beers once a month, but that's about it....save for the occasional cheat.  Sugar? Forget about it.  I. Just. Don't. Do. It.  My A1C runs in the low 6's, upper 5's.  My fasting sugar (mornings) runs from low 90s to low 100s.  I had a blocked artery that led to my discovery.  I was the stereotypical tough guy: you don't go to the doc unless you're bleeding or something's broken.  I wasn't getting checked out.  I don't recommend that method :snark: After the stay in the hospital, they determined I had been diabetic for at least a couple years, my A1C was 12. Even though I was a foreman on an underground utilities crew and was doing quite a bit of walking....shooting grade and staking at the time, it wasn't enough to stave it off. That was in 2008.  I gained a little weight a couple years ago, and the numbers started to climb again.  I got tough on the diet, and exercise when I can (although a 3 yr old and 5 yr old keep you pretty active...lol), and the pounds started dropping and so did my numbers.  Once you get accustomed to the lifestyle, bad foods make you sick to even think about eating.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
I have type 2. And like Belsnickel, my weakness is starches. I'm not a sweets guy, but I love potatoes and bread. My last A1C was 6.2. I used to run in the 10's pretty consistently, but I developed PVD (Peripheral Vascular Disease) and it scared me enough to start taking better care of myself.

I take Metformin, and use 2 types of insulin; Lantus 45 units twice a day, and Humalog (fast acting) dosage based on carb count in meals. Diabetes sucks balls, and all of you who don't have it, take care of your body so you don't get it. And for Pete's sake, don't smoke if you have it. I quit a couple of years ago, and it was the best thing I ever did.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
I was diagnosed type 2 in 2004, with an A1C of 13.4 and was hallucinating ;-)
Soda and pastries are the likely culprits, though I was predisposed since my Grandmother was type 1, plus Mother and sister type 2.
Since then it's been diet, medication, and exercise. My A1C has been in the high 6 range over the past 7/8 years, but even with that the occasional 'bad day' happens. By that I mean low energy, preoccupation of meaningless stuff, or just grumpy (couldn't be age, could it?)

Of all that I've learned about this disease, I can't stress how important the diet and exercise approach really is. Do that correctly, and you have it licked for the most part. Just keep monitoring your numbers, and take the least amount of meds while staying on top it. You can deal with it, but you can't cheat and get away with it. I know - I tried more than once, and my numbers shot up.

One odd side effect has been my vision. I wore glasses for decades, but about 6 years ago my vision began to slowly improve, and now I don't need glasses at all. Since diabetes affects the small blood vessels, it seems that the change of pressure on my eyes is behind the improvement. That's the consensus of my doctors on the subject anyway, and I'm going with it. Most probably won't last, so I'll enjoy it while I can.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2015, 10:14 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: I have type 2.  And like Belsnickel, my weakness is starches.  I'm not a sweets guy, but I love potatoes and bread.  My last A1C was 6.2.  I used to run in the 10's pretty consistently, but I developed PVD (Peripheral Vascular Disease) and it scared me enough to start taking better care of myself.

I take Metformin, and use 2 types of insulin; Lantus 45 units twice a day, and Humalog (fast acting) dosage based on carb count in meals.  Diabetes sucks balls, and all of you who don't have it, take care of your body so you don't get it.  And for Pete's sake, don't smoke if you have it.  I quit a couple of years ago, and it was the best thing I ever did.

ThumbsUp Yes indeed......glad I gave them up too.

(09-25-2015, 10:25 AM)wildcats forever Wrote: I was diagnosed type 2 in 2004, with an A1C of 13.4 and was hallucinating ;-)  
Soda and pastries are the likely culprits, though I was predisposed  since my Grandmother was type 1, plus Mother and sister type 2.
Since then it's been diet, medication, and exercise. My A1C has been in the high 6 range over the past 7/8 years, but even with that the occasional 'bad day' happens. By that I mean low energy, preoccupation of meaningless stuff, or just grumpy (couldn't be age, could it?)

Of all that I've learned about this disease, I can't stress how important the diet and exercise approach really is. Do that correctly, and you have it licked for the most part. Just keep monitoring your numbers, and take the least amount of meds while staying on top it. You can deal with it, but you can't cheat and get away with it. I know - I tried more than once, and my numbers shot up.

One odd side effect has been my vision. I wore glasses for decades, but about 6 years ago my vision began to slowly improve, and now I don't need glasses at all. Since diabetes affects the small blood vessels, it seems that the change of pressure on my eyes is behind the improvement. That's the consensus of my doctors on the subject anyway, and I'm going with it. Most probably won't last, so I'll enjoy it while I can.

ESPECIALLY the diet part of it.....and keep your weight down as best as possible.  Another thing that has really helped me is about 5 snacks a day instead of 3 typical meals a day.

.....oh.....and LOTS and LOTS of good cold water.

Reply/Quote
(09-25-2015, 11:10 AM)Wyche Wrote: ThumbsUp Yes indeed......glad I gave them up too.

ESPECIALLY the diet part of it.....and keep your weight down as best as possible.  Another thing that has really helped me is about 5 snacks a day instead of 3 typical meals a day.

.....oh.....and LOTS and LOTS of good cold water.

I've lost 42 pounds since last October, mainly through diet though I did start resistance exercise along with it. Plus I play a lot of golf.
Ditto on the water. I'm close to a gallon a day for no particular reason or effort - just kind of crave it now. Diet-wise I eat lots of fruit, salads, and fish. When I want something sweet I go for real, organic raw sugar (just not much of it). In fact, I pretty much avoid all processed foods, and all fast food restaurants. 
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2015, 12:34 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: I've lost 42 pounds since last October, mainly through diet though I did start resistance exercise along with it. Plus I play a lot of golf.
Ditto on the water. I'm close to a gallon a day for no particular reason or effort - just kind of crave it now. Diet-wise I eat lots of fruit, salads, and fish. When I want something sweet I go for real, organic raw sugar (just not much of it). In fact, I pretty much avoid all processed foods, and all fast food restaurants. 

This^^^^

Reply/Quote
I'm pre-pre-diabetic, according to my doctor. I've gained about 25 lbs this year. Basically get your weight under control, drink water, eliminate sugar from your diet. You will get a lot of health problems with gaining weight...and cure many of them by exercising. Don't wait until it's too late!
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote