Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Diabetic Life
(12-10-2015, 06:25 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: hmmm my wife says pickle juice is good for something....  but i dont remember what it is... hangovers maybe?

Muscle cramps, in late evenings on hot days that were extremely physical ( like demolishing storage buildings ), I would get leg cramps so painfull they woke me up and lasted forever seemingly.Internet searches turned up several possible cures. Drinking pickle juice or eating a pickle or slices works in seconds everytime. Now on those extra tough days, I consume the juice, a pickle, or slices and no cramps occur.

PS- listen closer to your wife
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Just a question in general...

Im sure many of you guys have type 2 diabetes. How exactly do you think that happened for you? Eating too much sugar? Too many carbs? Just eating unhealthy in general?

Im 28 and want to avoid this type of disease when im older. Any recommendations?

I dont really eat sugar. Drink maybe 1 or 2 diet sodas a week, try to stay away from sweets.

My big weakness is carbs. I love them. When I do eat carbs though I try to eat whole wheat everything.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2016, 10:54 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Just a question in general...

Im sure many of you guys have type 2 diabetes. How exactly do you think that happened for you? Eating too much sugar? Too many carbs? Just eating unhealthy in general?

Im 28 and want to avoid this type of disease when im older. Any recommendations?

I dont really eat sugar. Drink maybe 1 or 2 diet sodas a week, try to stay away from sweets.

My big weakness is carbs. I love them. When I do eat carbs though I try to eat whole wheat everything.

For me, it was mostly bad genes.  It skipped my parents, grandparents, and uncles, but my brother and I got it, and many in our extended family have/had it.  My issue was carbs as well, and also a former heavy smoker.  I hadn't been to a doctor in years prior to my unfortunate way of being diagnosed.  Had I known about the rampant cases in my extended family, I would have been getting checked and probably avoided all of this by changing my diet to how I eat now.  I wasn't that heavy, wasn't a big sweet eater (although sports drinks were a weakness), I did eat that bachelor style diet of shit, but my brother is a gym rat, and I played sports and hiked....some times you're just dealt a shitty hand.  It's all in how you play it.  I didn't play it well at the onset, due to ignorance of my family history. 

As for the whole wheat thing, carbs are carbs.  You can get some nutritional advantages with the whole grain, but the carb counts are nearly identical.  No real advantage for a diabetic.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
For me, it is a combination of genes, being obese, a former smoker, and bad dietary habits in general. I'm German through and through, so meat and potatoes was what I grew up on. Lots of soda in my younger years. I have no doubt I would be overweight due to genes and eating habits but I actually started gaining weight quickly when I started taking a particular allergy medicine at the age of 4 or so that was later taken of the market for, you guessed it, causing weight gain. Not bitter.

Anyway, key thing is that eating a well rounded diet is best, exercise as well. Sodas, even diet ones, are not a good idea. Artificial sweeteners have shown in some studies to still cause weight gain and also affect blood glucose. Water, water, water. People think of the whole grains as being better for the blood glucose, which to an extent they are, but it's very minimal.
Reply/Quote
I think a poor diet led me into type 2 diabetes. I love potatoes in all forms ( fried,roasted, baked, etc ).Soft drinks-2 liter pepsi with most meals,candies and sweets on the regular.I used to eat a lot of sandwiches- an entire loaf of bread would last a day or two .
When money wasn't a concern there was a lot of fast food and restaurants involved. Working,jogging 5 miles daily, tennis games, and bowling 20-30 games a week offset some of those habits. Then the plant closed, one knee went arthritic, and my downward spiral began.
Reply/Quote
Genes played the biggest role for me. It hit my grandfather, uncle, and 2 cousins. Plus my excessive love for breads and potatoes didn't help either. I just lived a very unhealthy lifestyle until I was diagnosed. Sad
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote