Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did Diontae Johnson's new contract set the floor for Tee Higgins next deal?
Steelers just finalized a contract with Diontae Johnson.
2 years, $36.71 mill.
https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2022/8/4/23292145/steelers-and-diontae-johnson-agree-on-a-two-year-contract-extension-nfl-breaking-news-rumors-update

Johnson has been the top WR in PIT the past two years, putting up 2084 yards and 15 TDs on 313 targets in that time.

By comparison, Higgins the past two years - 1999 yards and 12 TDs on 218 targets.
About the same. Just very slightly lower on stats but nearly 100 less targets.

Higgins is likely going to be looking for an extension after this season, so I would assume the $18 mill APY signed by Johnson could be about what Higgins will seek, if not more.
Higgins is not WR1 in Cincy, so he could (easily) argue he deserves $20+ mill APY to a team that could make him their top WR because he'd produce even better if he got more targets.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I think you nailed it the target difference is the real story.

He shares the same agent as Bates... could easily lose him to a team looking for a #1 WR.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
That deal wouldn't be hateful while Ja'Marr is still on his rookie contract.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Like always, look to the guaranteed money that is almost always the sticking point with Bengals contracts these days. And with Higgins' contract, never ever forget his agent is David Mulugheta, also Jessie Bates' agent, who doesn't "slot" his clients but aims for the top. Tee Higgins will hit free agency as WR1 regardless of his role on the Bengals. And teams in the NFL will pay him a whole shipload of guaranteed money to play that role for them. This will be a long drawn-out negotiation that sadly will likely end with Higgins hitting free agency.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
See also: Marvin Jones, except Higgins is a legit #1.
Reply/Quote
Diontae should have asked for even more with the QB’s he has to play with in Pittsburgh.

Reply/Quote
Would suck to lose Tee but how much will they be able to pay 2 WRs?
Chase is going to (deservedly) break the bank. His contract $ will be easy to predict. Just see what Jefferson ends up getting on his second contract and add a little more.
Reply/Quote
I've already accepted Tee is gonna be gone when the time comes. Look what Christian Kirk got and Tee blows him out of the water. Expect a wr in round 1 next draft..
Reply/Quote
I’d do that for Tee in a heartbeat especially a 2-4 year deal while Chase is on his rookie deal.
Reply/Quote
Tee with a good season could be close to 23 per. If I’m another team, especially in our division he’s worth that one because he’s that good and 2 because it would hurt us.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
NFL rules now have made good WRs look like great WRs, and those good WRs are going out and getting great WR money. There were 26 WRs with 1,000+ receiving yards in 2021, 29 in 2019. That's the second and first most there have been since at least 2004 (how far back ESPN's season stats go).

If you have one of the big time above-and-beyond talents, pay him.

There's just going to be a ton of teams regretting these big contracts to the lower end #1 and high end #2 WRs. Even more so as more and more WRs come out of the draft and immediately make an impact with such offensive-friendly rules.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2022, 01:44 PM)jason Wrote: That deal wouldn't be hateful while Ja'Marr is still on his rookie contract.

Exactly, plus Tee has always been a Bengal fan. I think he would tell that agent he wants to stay here even if it is for a little less.

Unlike Jessie. Still think Tee gets paid more than 18 mil per year by somebody, better production with a lot less targets than Diontae.
Reply/Quote
No, there will be more "floor" examples that approach the 20M mark before they get serious.  Others have menioned how messy this could get, with the tag not being an option if a few others dont get deals. 

They need to get a good read on Burrow and see if he is on board with their vision of team building.  Rather than letting Higgins walk when his deal is up, plan A should be win a ring and hope someone gives a 1st and 3rd or 4th with the going rates of WR.  Using 20M toward front loading deals for Jonah and Wilson and having the picks for pass rushers or replacement WR may be the way to go.  
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2022, 06:43 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: NFL rules now have made good WRs look like great WRs, and those good WRs are going out and getting great WR money. There were 26 WRs with 1,000+ receiving yards in 2021, 29 in 2019. That's the second and first most there have been since at least 2004 (how far back ESPN's season stats go).  

If you have one of the big time above-and-beyond talents, pay him.

There's just going to be a ton of teams regretting these big contracts to the lower end #1 and high end #2 WRs. Even more so as more and more WRs come out of the draft and immediately make an impact with such offensive-friendly rules.

The sad thing is that a lot of these 1b type WR's fail when either they bolt to another team and become the WR1 or their team lets the WR1 walk thinking the 1b is a true WR1. Anquan Boldin had 5 1000 yard seasons with Fitzgerald in AZ, but only two the rest of his career.  Or look at JuJu and Mike Williams with the Steelers.  Looking at Bengals history, there was Darnay Scott when Pickens left.  Also look at TJ who was cut only one year into the 5 year deal he signed with the Seahawks.  

If someone gives up a 1st next year for Higgins, I would probably take it.  Otherwise, I would plan on letting him play out his rookie deal and walking.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2022, 12:35 AM)Whatever Wrote: The sad thing is that a lot of these 1b type WR's fail when either they bolt to another team and become the WR1 or their team lets the WR1 walk thinking the 1b is a true WR1. Anquan Boldin had 5 1000 yard seasons with Fitzgerald in AZ, but only two the rest of his career.  Or look at JuJu and Mike Williams with the Steelers.  Looking at Bengals history, there was Darnay Scott when Pickens left.  Also look at TJ who was cut only one year into the 5 year deal he signed with the Seahawks.  

If someone gives up a 1st next year for Higgins, I would probably take it.  Otherwise, I would plan on letting him play out his rookie deal and walking.

I was going to bring up the TJ situation when he left because he thought he could be a #1 and then went to Seattle and just flamed out. 

I hope that Tee's smart enough to realize that he can have a long and successful career here and that, while he's good, he almost certainly won't be as good without a receiver like Chase to draw off the coverage and without a quarterback like Burrow throwing him the ball.

Hopefully he'll take a lesson from Bates and realize that we're not the organization to play chicken with.

He's good and I hope we give him a respectable offer but he also has to realize that we have Burrow, who can throw to anyone, and Chase, who makes the receivers opposite him have an easy life in the NFL.

All of that isn't even mentioning Mixon as a weapon running the ball.
Reply/Quote
I hope we extend Higgins. Having 2 elite deep threats was a critical part in our big play ability last year. It's quite possible that the FO will go the extra mile to stick with what is working.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2022, 03:16 AM)treee Wrote: I hope we extend Higgins. Having 2 elite deep threats was a critical part in our big play ability last year. It's quite possible that the FO will go the extra mile to stick with what is working.

I think they’ll definitely try their best to keep him (Mike Brown mentioned all 3 WR’s recently). They will likely offer him a fair deal, it will just be up to Tee at that point on whether or not he wants to look for absolute top dollar, or want to go somewhere he’s the clear cut #1.

Reply/Quote
(08-05-2022, 12:35 AM)Whatever Wrote: The sad thing is that a lot of these 1b type WR's fail when either they bolt to another team and become the WR1 or their team lets the WR1 walk thinking the 1b is a true WR1. Anquan Boldin had 5 1000 yard seasons with Fitzgerald in AZ, but only two the rest of his career.  Or look at JuJu and Mike Williams with the Steelers.  Looking at Bengals history, there was Darnay Scott when Pickens left.  Also look at TJ who was cut only one year into the 5 year deal he signed with the Seahawks.  

Tee was drafted as a WR1 to replace AJ Green. They had no plans at that time to go WR in 2021 too. Ja’Marr wasn’t drafted because of perceived or real deficiencies in Tee’s game. He was drafted because it was the chance of a football lifetime.
On all but a handful of NFL teams Tee would be WR1. And unlike TJ, thrive in the role.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(08-04-2022, 01:34 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Steelers just finalized a contract with Diontae Johnson.
2 years, $36.71 mill.
https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2022/8/4/23292145/steelers-and-diontae-johnson-agree-on-a-two-year-contract-extension-nfl-breaking-news-rumors-update

Johnson has been the top WR in PIT the past two years, putting up 2084 yards and 15 TDs on 313 targets in that time.

By comparison, Higgins the past two years - 1999 yards and 12 TDs on 218 targets.
About the same. Just very slightly lower on stats but nearly 100 less targets.

Higgins is likely going to be looking for an extension after this season, so I would assume the $18 mill APY signed by Johnson could be about what Higgins will seek, if not more.
Higgins is not WR1 in Cincy, so he could (easily) argue he deserves $20+ mill APY to a team that could make him their top WR because he'd produce even better if he got more targets.

Higgins' contract will depend largely on his ability to stay healthy all season this year.  He does that, and continues on the trajectory that he is on, it will be quite a bit larger than Johnson's.  

His run in the post season was incredible.  And he was fighting through an injury.  

I think Tee and Ja'Marr will be Bengals for a very, very long time due in part to their relationships on the team and with the coaches.  

Sad thing is he has the same agent as Bates, so the Bates situation could also have an impact on Tee's ability to sign here.  If Jesse signs it and plays well this year, I can see Higgins wearing the tag next year.  
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2022, 07:57 AM)pally Wrote: Tee was drafted as a WR1 to replace AJ Green.  They had no plans at that time to go WR in 2021 too.  Ja’Marr wasn’t drafted because of perceived or real deficiencies in Tee’s game.  He was drafted because it was the chance of a football lifetime.  
On all but a handful of NFL teams Tee would be WR1.  And unlike TJ, thrive in the role.

When Higgins was drafted, everything we heard from Duke Tobin was that AJ still had several years left as an elite WR and they were trying to get him resigned.  Higgins was drafted as a WR2 to complement AJ.  Chase was drafted as a WR1 to replace AJ.  They also needed a WR that was a deep threat for the offense and Higgins isn't that(Only 4 40+ yard catches in 2 years).
Reply/Quote