Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did Diontae Johnson's new contract set the floor for Tee Higgins next deal?
Burrow is a tractor he alone can cover up for deficiencies in the roster. That said don't let Chase walk he truly is a generational talent as well. Boyd is an above average 2 he hasn't showed signs of aging yet. That agent is a problem the less clients of his we have on the roster the better.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2022, 07:57 AM)pally Wrote: Tee was drafted as a WR1 to replace AJ Green. They had no plans at that time to go WR in 2021 too. Ja’Marr wasn’t drafted because of perceived or real deficiencies in Tee’s game. He was drafted because it was the chance of a football lifetime.
On all but a handful of NFL teams Tee would be WR1. And unlike TJ, thrive in the role.

I’d say it’s a good deal more than a handful. I’d currently put Tee in about the 10-15 range.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-05-2022, 12:35 AM)Whatever Wrote: The sad thing is that a lot of these 1b type WR's fail when either they bolt to another team and become the WR1 or their team lets the WR1 walk thinking the 1b is a true WR1. Anquan Boldin had 5 1000 yard seasons with Fitzgerald in AZ, but only two the rest of his career.  Or look at JuJu and Mike Williams with the Steelers.  Looking at Bengals history, there was Darnay Scott when Pickens left.  Also look at TJ who was cut only one year into the 5 year deal he signed with the Seahawks.  

If someone gives up a 1st next year for Higgins, I would probably take it.  Otherwise, I would plan on letting him play out his rookie deal and walking.

Boldin had over 1,300 yards in a season before Fitzgerald was even in the NFL He also put an entire team on his back and won a SB ring (and got Flacco paid as an elite QB, lol). He played in another with his broken jaw wired shut and no painkillers because his team needed him. He had 7 seasons of 1,000+ yards and is 14th all time in receiving yards.

I won't allow Boldin slander happen in front of me. Certainly not with the other WRs you grouped him with there.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2022, 01:46 PM)pally Wrote: Like always, look to the guaranteed money that is almost always the sticking point with Bengals contracts these days.

I have not really seen a "sticking point" based on our contract activity the last two seasons.

Hubbard
Waynes
Reader
Hendrickson
Reiff
Ogunjobi
Bell
Cappa
Karras
Collins
Hill
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2022, 10:40 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Exactly, plus Tee has always been a Bengal fan. I think he would tell that agent he wants to stay here even if it is for a little less.

Unlike Jessie. Still think Tee gets paid more than 18 mil per year by somebody, better production with a lot less targerts than Diontae.

Yeah I'm hoping that growing up a Bengal fan, playing with Burrow and being on a SB contender helps to keep him here. I dont like the fact that he has the same agent as Bates, but its a different situation and different position altogether. Sadly for Bates his sub 60 pff score last year didnt help him become a top paid FS, but even if he played at a pro bowl level last year, with all these other young players looking at big deals coming up, I'm not sure Bates was a huge priority for the team. I know they want him around, but at what cost is the real question. His agent can kick rocks though, regardless.
Reply/Quote
I don't really enjoy talking about this stuff before the season but I think Tee is as good as gone. For that matter, I'm not sure they'll be able to keep Chase when it comes time. It's becoming harder and harder for big-ticket wideouts to co-exist with franchise QBs, as we've seen this summer in GB and KC.

But it's even harder for those teams (or rather, those team? lol) that operate under self-imposed business restrictions in addition to the cap. This organization really is at a crossroads with the guaranteed cash nonsense and so many key players needing to be re-upped. The main thing working in our favor is the fact they don't have unlimited tags at their disposal- otherwise we know Mikey would use them. So it "favors" us in the sense that they can't hide behind tags (call it the Bates strategy) for much longer.

I think they'll make an exception for Burrow, show that to the league as "proof" that they're willing to put money in escrow, then basically nickel & dime the others and see them walk as soon as they're able. Such a shame because I don't think anyone wants to leave this team. It really has the makings of a dynasty if they could ever get out of their own way.

It's for that reason that I think this year and maybe next are the glory days. This is the window. I don't want to underestimate Burrow's ability to make chicken salad out of chicken sht- we know he's special- but it's only for the next little while that he won't even have to try.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2022, 10:33 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’d say it’s a good deal more than a handful. I’d currently put Tee in about the 10-15 range.

Looking at the other NFL teams, there aren't a lot of teams that Tee could just walk onto their roster and be the #1 WR.  There are a number of places were he could realistically compete for the #1 spot.  If I was judging them assuming everyone is at full health...

Clear Cut #2

Bengals -Chase
Dolphins-Tyreek Hill
Raiders-Adams
Chargers-Keenan Allen/Mike Williams 
Bills-Diggs
Bucs-Mike Evans
Vikings-Jefferson
Cardinals -DHop
Rams-Kupp
49'ers-Deebo
Eagles-AJ Brown
Cowboys-Lamb
WFT-McLaurin
Carolina-DJ Moore
Seahawks -Metcalf/Lockett
Saints-Michael Thomas

Compete-Incumbant Favored
Browns-Amari Cooper
Texans-Brandin Cooks

Compete-No Favorite
Bears-Darnell Mooney
Colts-Michael Pittman
Steelers-Diontae Johnson
Falcons-Calvin Ridley 

Compete-Higgins Favored
Broncos-Sutton/Jameson Williams/Jeudy
Giants-Golladay
Lions-Amon-Ra St. Brown

Clear Cut #1
Jags-Kirk/Shenault
Patriots-Bourne
Ravens-Bateman
Chiefs-JuJu
Titans-Robert Woods
Jets-Corey Davis
Packers,-Lazard
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2022, 11:37 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Boldin had over 1,300 yards in a season before Fitzgerald was even in the NFL He also put an entire team on his back and won a SB ring (and got Flacco paid as an elite QB, lol). He played in another with his broken jaw wired shut and no painkillers because his team needed him. He had 7 seasons of 1,000+ yards and is 14th all time in receiving yards.

I won't allow Boldin slander happen in front of me. Certainly not with the other WRs you grouped him with there.

Fair point about Boldin's rookie year, but he never had a 1000 yard season with the Ravens.  And phantom DPI calls made Flacco, lol!
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2022, 12:52 PM)Whatever Wrote: Looking at the other NFL teams, there aren't a lot of teams that Tee could just walk onto their roster and be the #1 WR.  There are a number of places were he could realistically compete for the #1 spot.  If I was judging them assuming everyone is at full health...

Clear Cut #2

Bengals -Chase
Dolphins-Tyreek Hill
Raiders-Adams
Chargers-Keenan Allen/Mike Williams 
Bills-Diggs
Bucs-Mike Evans
Vikings-Jefferson
Cardinals -DHop
Rams-Kupp
49'ers-Deebo
Eagles-AJ Brown
Cowboys-Lamb
WFT-McLaurin
Carolina-DJ Moore
Seahawks -Metcalf/Lockett
Saints-Michael Thomas

Compete-Incumbant Favored
Browns-Amari Cooper
Texans-Brandin Cooks

Compete-No Favorite
Bears-Darnell Mooney
Colts-Michael Pittman
Steelers-Diontae Johnson
Falcons-Calvin Ridley 

Compete-Higgins Favored
Broncos-Sutton/Jameson Williams/Jeudy
Giants-Golladay
Lions-Amon-Ra St. Brown

Clear Cut #1
Jags-Kirk/Shenault
Patriots-Bourne
Ravens-Bateman
Chiefs-JuJu
Titans-Robert Woods
Jets-Corey Davis
Packers,-Lazard

Out of those WRs you list, here are ones who will be 30+ years old by the time Higgins could depart in FA:
DeAndre Hopkins
Davante Adams
Keenan Allen (Mike Williams is not a full-fledged WR1 IMO)
Cooper Kupp
Michael Thomas
Tyreek Hill
Brandin Cooks
Robert Woods
Kenny Golladay
Mike Evans
Stefon Diggs

So there definitely could be more opportunities by 2024 than we see now.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-05-2022, 11:52 AM)bengaloo Wrote: Yeah I'm hoping that growing up a Bengal fan, playing with Burrow and being on a SB contender helps to keep him here. I dont like the fact that he has the same agent as Bates, but its a different situation and different position altogether. Sadly for Bates his sub 60 pff score last year didnt help him become a top paid FS, but even if he played at a pro bowl level last year, with all these other young players looking at big deals coming up, I'm not sure Bates was a huge priority for the team. I know they want him around, but at what cost is the real question. His agent can kick rocks though, regardless.

Damn rights Bengaloo. Cool
Reply/Quote
Tee will get 25M+ a year on the open market. As much as I hate to say it, you probably need to trade him next offseason since he is still under control. He could fetch a 1st rounder+ from a team looking for a #1WR that historically has no luck drafting WRs. Then you draft his replacement.

Chase is the generational talent. He and Burrow are the future. Everything else is a cross between gravy and a shell game.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2022, 01:05 PM)Whatever Wrote: Fair point about Boldin's rookie year, but he never had a 1000 yard season with the Ravens.  And phantom DPI calls made Flacco, lol!

I think that was just more a product of Baltimore than Boldin. They were 34-14 in those 3 years and he led them in receiving each year. They were just run-first and defense focused. Won a playoff game the first two years and the SB in the third year.

They had a 1k receiver (barely) in 2009 and 2013, but they were 17-15 in those years, and the guy who had both of those 1k seasons was with the Ravens 2010-2012 too and had a big decrease. It was just how that team operated then. That opinion solidified by the fact that as soon as he left he went right back to 1k+ seasons at age 33 and 34.

In the SB year Boldin had 22/380(17.3)/4 in that playoffs. Flacco was just chucking balls into the air and Boldin just wanted it more than anyone else. He absolutely got Flacco paid that next offseason.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2022, 01:12 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Out of those WRs you list, here are ones who will be 30+ years old by the time Higgins could depart in FA:
DeAndre Hopkins
Davante Adams
Keenan Allen (Mike Williams is not a full-fledged WR1 IMO)
Cooper Kupp
Michael Thomas
Tyreek Hill
Brandin Cooks
Robert Woods
Kenny Golladay
Mike Evans
Stefon Diggs

So there definitely could be more opportunities by 2024 than we see now.

Hard to say where things will be in two years.  Some guys will fall off, but new stars will establish themselves.  I was really just trying to go through the league and get an idea of how many teams Higgins would currently be the WR1 for.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2022, 12:35 AM)Whatever Wrote: The sad thing is that a lot of these 1b type WR's fail when either they bolt to another team and become the WR1 or their team lets the WR1 walk thinking the 1b is a true WR1. Anquan Boldin had 5 1000 yard seasons with Fitzgerald in AZ, but only two the rest of his career.  Or look at JuJu and Mike Williams with the Steelers.  Looking at Bengals history, there was Darnay Scott when Pickens left.  Also look at TJ who was cut only one year into the 5 year deal he signed with the Seahawks.  

If someone gives up a 1st next year for Higgins, I would probably take it.  Otherwise, I would plan on letting him play out his rookie deal and walking.

Boldin is a bad example. When boldin got 120+ tArgets in his career, he put up 1,000+ yards. He never saw more than 112 in Baltimore and that year he saw 921 yards. If he got 8 more targets he likely gets the 1,000 yard mark. Not his fault Baltimore has always underutilized their WRs.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2022, 03:26 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I think that was just more a product of Baltimore than Boldin. They were 34-14 in those 3 years and he led them in receiving each year. They were just run-first and defense focused. Won a playoff game the first two years and the SB in the third year.

They had a 1k receiver (barely) in 2009 and 2013, but they were 17-15 in those years, and the guy who had both of those 1k seasons was with the Ravens 2010-2012 too and had a big decrease. It was just how that team operated then. That opinion solidified by the fact that as soon as he left he went right back to 1k+ seasons at age 33 and 34.

In the SB year Boldin had 22/380(17.3)/4 in that playoffs. Flacco was just chucking balls into the air and Boldin just wanted it more than anyone else. He absolutely got Flacco paid that next offseason.

(08-06-2022, 11:31 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Boldin is a bad example. When boldin got 120+ tArgets in his career, he put up 1,000+ yards. He never saw more than 112 in Baltimore and that year he saw 921 yards.  If he got 8 more targets he likely gets the 1,000 yard mark.  Not his fault Baltimore has always underutilized their WRs.

That's fair.
Reply/Quote
Interesting conversation, yeah Anquan Boldin was good. Mellow
Reply/Quote
The math:
Bengals could ask Tee to play out his existing contract for 2.8M in 2023. This effectively would make him a free agent in 2024 unless the Bengals use the franchise tag, (18.4M in 2022) unless they need it for someone else, e.g. Jonah. Note that using the franchise tag would mean paying Tee 21.2M over 2023 and 2024 combined.

If the Bengals sign him to a multiyear deal, they value a long term deal more the the savings of making Tee play out his rookie deal. If they sign a 3-year contract for 18M per year, the math is that they're paying 15.2M more in 2023 than they had to, the equivalent of finishing the existing contract and then paying Tee 25.1M each year for two years. Crazy IMO.

Even trading Tee makes little sense if you think you're getting a 18M player for 2.8M and a draft pick. Would you rather have a draft pick or 15.8M to spend on a free agent?

My conclusion is that you're going to see the Bengals forcing players to finish their rookie deals (except Joe Burrow) and then moving on in the draft or free agency. See Jessie Bates: 2021 (2.4M) + 2022 (12.9M) = 15.3M over two years instead of the 18M per year with signing bonus that Minkah got. And they could still get a compensatory pick if he leaves.

Face it, the Bengals have only 3 starters who were drafted by the Bengals and on their 2nd contracts: Boyd(2016), Mixon(2017), and Hubbard (2018). None were 1st rounders and all are solid guys making ~$10M/yr. Sure, there'll be some wage inflation and positional adjustment, but this is what the Bengals seem willing to do.
Reply/Quote