Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did Someone Say Bowers?
I did see Daniel Jeremiah mock him to us at 18. Crazy stuff does happen.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2024, 12:48 AM)sandwedge Wrote: I did see Daniel Jeremiah mock him to us at 18. Crazy stuff does happen.

I don't think it is really all that crazy. It comes down to a valuation of the possession. You have a handful of difference makers at the position in the league and the rest of the offenses have figured out how to operate with a TE in a role player capacity just as the Bengals have. Especially, considering using a high first round selection on the position. It has been argued several times about how a highly ranked TE would not be available for the Bengals selection and on most of those occasions the player has been available. Look at Eifert and Mayer.
Reply/Quote
The one thing that you have to keep in mind is that the following will occur:

1. Bowers is on the board at 17, a team will trade in front of us.
2. If Bowers is off the board at 17, a team will trade in front of us to take a RT

That's literally how it works for the Bengals when they have an obvious need.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2024, 08:40 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: His physical measurements from the combine are reflected on that site.  I wonder where they got that 40 time from, as like you said, he didn't run?

From what I have read Bowers was at the combine, got measured, talked to the coaches and did the interviews but didnt do any of the drills.  

He may turn out to be a good TE in the NFL but Im just not a fan of taking a TE in the first round.  Too many good TEs are picked after the 1st round.   I would look for Sinnott or Theo Johnson later on. 
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2024, 08:59 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: From what I have read Bowers was at the combine, got measured, talked to the coaches and did the interviews but didnt do any of the drills.  

He may turn out to be a good TE in the NFL but Im just not a fan of taking a TE in the first round.  Too many good TEs are picked after the 1st round.   I would look for Sinnott or Theo Johnson later on. 

Yeah, I'm not really a TE in the 1st guy, either. Just look what happened when the did.  Tyler Eifert was a tremendous player, but all of those injuries hurt the team's chances at that time.  I'd have loved to have seen the team pick one from the large class last season, but would be perfectly happy with any of Johnson, Stover, or Stinnott.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2024, 06:43 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: The one thing that you have to keep in mind is that the following will occur:

1.  Bowers is on the board at 17, a team will trade in front of us.
2.  If Bowers is off the board at 17, a team will trade in front of us to take a RT

That's literally how it works for the Bengals when they have an obvious need.

You're probably right here, can't show ones hand in the draft like the Bengals of old always did. 

Yet lately the Bengals have not done this and remained flexible in what position they can select.

Am usually in the keep your draft picks group, but this year some are forgetting that the Bengals have a lot of cap space to bring in FA's galore and may not have nearly as many holes to plug when the draft rolls around. 

Just believe they will stay the course and retain their draft flexibility imho by filling some major holes via FA. With that being said, it might not be a bad time to trade up if there is a star player they desire and have on a rookie deal for a few years that may get them over the hump. Whoever that player may be. 

Would love to see them bring in one of the top DT's in FA and a RT then move up in draft and grab another offensive weapon.  

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2024, 10:11 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Eh, I don't care what Bowers forty is honestly, he is way faster than Michael Mayer and most TE's especially with pads, in uniform 
and a helmet on. I watched him on the field making 40 to 50 yard TD's and he is one of the fastest TE's I have ever seen...

Can he Block?
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2024, 08:22 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Can he Block?

According to PFF he had one of the highest win rates in the nation as a blocker. I was very shocked to see this. However, maybe to be a bit more dynamic and unpredictable on offense the Bengals need to use the TE more a receiver and not so much as a blocker but that would mean that they are going to have to improve dramatically on the offensive line which unfortunately I believe means a replacement of the offensive line coach which they has not seemed to be a real discussion within the organization.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2024, 08:22 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Can he Block?

Oh yeah, damn good blocker and does it on the edge very well which is exactly what we need in our TE's and WR's.

I think Brock would fit in extremely well as a Bengal.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2024, 05:36 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Oh yeah, damn good blocker and does it on the edge very well which is exactly what we need in our TE's and WR's.

I think Brock would fit in extremely well as a Bengal.

then i feel trading up to get him might be worth it... (Depending the price)
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 08:35 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: then i feel trading up to get him might be worth it... (Depending the price)

I've felt like he is worth it for months. Signing Gesicki kind of made me think that Bowers would be off the board for us, but maybe not since it's only a one-year deal and next year's draft class isn't particularly strong at tight end.

We could go 12 personnel for a year since our #2 receiver is a question mark and there's nothing too spectacular behind that. It would also be the best way to attack the 3-4 defenses in the division.

My biggest concern is passing on a tackle in the first. We NEED to finally give Burrow some protection. I was hoping we could find someone in free agency but, even though it's early, I'm skeptical.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 12:54 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: I've felt like he is worth it for months. Signing Gesicki kind of made me think that Bowers would be off the board for us, but maybe not since it's only a one-year deal and next year's draft class isn't particularly strong at tight end.

We could go 12 personnel for a year since our #2 receiver is a question mark and there's nothing too spectacular behind that. It would also be the best way to attack the 3-4 defenses in the division.

My biggest concern is passing on a tackle in the first. We NEED to finally give Burrow some protection. I was hoping we could find someone in free agency but, even though it's early, I'm skeptical.

i am a bit worried about RT if we dont make a move in FA dont want a rookie starting on the OL if it can be avoided
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 08:19 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: i am a bit worried about RT if we dont make a move in FA dont want a rookie starting on the OL if it can be avoided

I agree and I'm hoping that our front office really has changed and are currently working on signing a FA tackle because there's some quality ones out there.

Trading Tee for a tackle is also an option if we can find a partner because, since it has become a passing league, teams invest in pass rushers, so a tackle is more important than a receiver for us, especially if we sign Bowers and since we signed Gesicki.

I know money talks but I think we're past the years of being huge tight asses and a tackle would have a lot of job security here because they'd know that the team's top priority is protecting Burrow.
Reply/Quote
If we don;t address RT in Free Agency , I feel that with the depth at RT, we will pick a RT over Bowers.. now I think DT could be a little different, less 1st round depth. we could take Bower and a DT in 2nd round but only i believe if we have locked up a RT in Free agency
Reply/Quote
I think Bowers can play the slot, so it would be worth trading up to get him. Especially if it can open up Moss in the passing game. But I doubt he makes it past 12.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2024, 10:04 AM)OSUfan Wrote: According to PFF he had one of the highest win rates in the nation as a blocker. I was very shocked to see this. However, maybe to be a bit more dynamic and unpredictable on offense the Bengals need to use the TE more a receiver and not so much as a blocker but that would mean that they are going to have to improve dramatically on the offensive line which unfortunately I believe means a replacement of the offensive line coach which they has not seemed to be a real discussion within the organization.

coming out of college, Joe Mixon was rated as one of the highest blockers...
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 01:01 AM)DYT-Flyer Wrote: I think Bowers can play the slot, so it would be worth trading up to get him. Especially if it can open up Moss in the passing game. But I doubt he makes it past 12.
. If we trade up it should be for the RT that we want not a TE, since 2000, only 7 TE have been picked in to 15 since 2000 Vernon Davis was solid but not great, but he has been the best of the bunch
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2024, 11:03 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: coming out of college, Joe Mixon was rated as one of the highest blockers...

I get where you are going with this but you are talking absolutely different situations. Being an in line blocker in the running game and picking up blitzes and rushing defensive ends in the passing game are a bit different. Picking up a DE on a pass rush or a blitzer by the RB is more times than not is not about putting them on their backs or completely stoning them as it is about giving a few seconds for the QB to react. You are talking about rushers coming at you with full momentum rather than engaging them at the line of scrimmage when they are just getting a start.

I did not see Bowers as a dominating blocker either but the grades say otherwise.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2024, 11:02 AM)OSUfan Wrote: I get where you are going with this but you are talking absolutely different situations. Being an in line blocker in the running game and picking up blitzes and rushing defensive ends in the passing game are a bit different. Picking up a DE on a pass rush or a blitzer by the RB is more times than not is not about putting them on their backs or completely stoning them as it is about giving a few seconds for the QB to react. You are talking about rushers coming at you with full momentum rather than engaging them at the line of scrimmage when they are just getting a start.

I did not see Bowers as a dominating blocker either but the grades say otherwise.

The point was some would debate the evaluation of Mixon so could bower bee same, was being a bit facetious 
Reply/Quote
I don't think Bowers will be there at 18.

But if he is and we have a vet RT we are comfortable with as a starter, Bowers would be hard to pass up.

But again, if he is available, who else is available.

I don't think he makes it to us at 49, but I would love Worthy in round 2, even if we had to trade up to get him. I believe he is the 2024 version of Zay Flowers.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote