Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did we whiff on two OTs (Fisher and Og) in last year's draft?
Now I'm not saying the Og and Fisher are going to play poorly forever and I'm not calling them busts either.

But, Fisher was in tonight at LG and looked really bad. He let a guy just blow right past him for a sack, then he false starts.

Did we whiff on these two or is there something I'm just not seeing about them?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
I think Og will be ok.
Reply/Quote
I've noticed that its starting to take longer for OT's to develop. A lot of the high end OT picks in the most recent drafts have taken a while to get going.

I think the way the game is played now, its difficult for young guys to come in and adjust to facing the Von Millers, Cameron Wakes, Atkins, Dunlaps, Watts, and so on. It's a tough adjustment I believe.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2016, 01:12 AM)BengalChris Wrote: Now I'm not saying the Og and Fisher are going to play poorly forever and I'm not calling them busts either.

But, Fisher was in tonight at LG and looked really bad. He let a guy just blow right past him for a sack, then he false starts.

Fisher was playing out of position and and had to come in halfway through the game, too soon to say on either guy honestly but waaaaay too early for Fisher.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2016, 01:16 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I've noticed that its starting to take longer for OT's to develop. A lot of the high end OT picks in the most recent drafts have taken a while to get going.

I think the way the game is played now, its difficult for young guys to come in and adjust to facing the Von Millers, Cameron Wakes, Atkins, Dunlaps, Watts, and so on. It's a tough adjustment I believe.

Pretty much this. Most coaches are pleased when olinemen start to flourish in five years. All oline positions seem to take years to develop. As a result, we will have to wait and see on OG and Fisher.
Reply/Quote
Og did well against Miller and Fisher showed flashes last year. I guess its possible we whiffed but still too soon to tell.

I'm pretty sure we whiffed on Bodine though. LOL
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2016, 02:01 AM)CageTheBengal Wrote: Og did well against Miller and Fisher showed flashes last year. I guess its possible we whiffed but still too soon to tell.

I'm pretty sure you are correct. I wonder who will be gone first Bodine or Paul Alexander.

Reply/Quote
(09-30-2016, 02:06 AM)BengalChris Wrote: I'm pretty sure you are correct. I wonder who will be gone first Bodine or Paul Alexander.

Paul Alexander won't ever leave this team. Even after he dies he's going to be buried at the 50 yard line and be a honorary member of the team.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2016, 02:17 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: Paul Alexander won't ever leave this team. Even after he dies he's going to be buried at the 50 yard line and be a honorary member of the team.

Oh God, that's a horrid thought.

Reply/Quote
in the case of ogbuehi, you can only whiff imo if he was good player in the first place,

he wasn't at tamu
Reply/Quote
Think that they'll be passable, but much like Zeitler, they will fail to meet draft day hype/expectations.

Part of that might be on OL Coaching, and partly on Kenny Z's offense, but it certainly doesn't seem like they are going to be dominate.

We can't keep saying "It takes 3-4-5 years!" for all your first and second round picks. Lol

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
It really has been rough out there on the Oline. Bodine hasn't gotten much better either. He had a decent block or two tonight that made me forgive the errant snap but over all he's still just not impressing me.

Can't blame RBs for a poor running game inside when defensive guys are in your backfield right when the handoff was made.

Reply/Quote
Funny thing is, I didn't like either picks, I m pulling for them though.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2016, 01:12 AM)BengalChris Wrote: Now I'm not saying the Og and Fisher are going to play poorly forever and I'm not calling them busts either.

It's way too early to judge the 2015 draft.  We can look at earlier drafts.  2011 was great.  What about 2012 or 2013 or 2014...Kirkpatrick, Zeitler, IIoka......Eifert, Bernard, Williams, Burkhead, Hunt......Dennard, Hill, Clark, Bodine, McCarron, Wright.....Some have moved on like Sanu and Jones at WR.....I'm wondering if Kirkpatrick and Dennard live up to those # 1 picks and become anything close to Parrish and Riley.  I'm having my doubts....I'm also having my doubts about Hill and Bernard. .....I think we are starting to see Clark come on. ....It's way too early to judge the 2015 and 2016 picks.  Considering we lost Sanu and Jones, it would be nice to get Eifert back and maybe Boyd to come on as season goes. ....With Nelson and Hall gone, it is crucial these top pick CB's weren't lousy picks. .....It's too early to tell about the new O Linemen. They are still pretty green with a lot to learn.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
No. What the Bengals "whiffed" on was not getting a new offensive line coach when Marvin Lewis came to town in 2003.
Reply/Quote

Fisher plays multiple positions and is in no need to be a starter this year, besides I don't think we really know what spot he'll end up playing whether it's tackle or guard or both and Ced is essentially in his first year since he missed pretty much the entire season last year.

Fans really need to start understanding that they are not going to get instant results from rookies or first time players. Only so many players come into the league and make an impact immediately, so to sit here and think that in year number 2 for both of these players, that we somehow made a mistake is pedestrian at best. Give them some time
Reply/Quote
Ogbuehi missed a lot of preseason on top of missing most of last season. He got most of his snaps on the 2nd team at the end of last year. He's being going against some of the best players in the NFL so far. He'll be ok he just has to get used to the speed and learn to react more quickly to the adjustments.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(09-30-2016, 02:01 AM)CageTheBengal Wrote: Og did well against Miller and Fisher showed flashes last year. I guess its possible we whiffed but still too soon to tell.

Just like Bodine whiffs on blocks? Smirk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Og will be ok, Fisher struggled on the interior last night.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
How many rookie olinemen do you really see come in and dominate, especially tackles? They almost always struggle their first year or two. If they're still pulling Bodines in a few years then we can start talking about how they suck.
Reply/Quote