Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did we whiff on two OTs (Fisher and Og) in last year's draft?
(09-30-2016, 02:22 AM)BengalChris Wrote: Oh God, that's a horrid thought.

But wouldn't be all that surprising. Seriously, does anyone know why Mike Brown is so in love with Paul Alexander? Is it because they go way back? Are they related? Are they both Buckeye fans? Is it because he and his father share the same first name? I know one thing, it's certainly not his coaching ability.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2016, 10:40 AM)Pat5775 Wrote:  Seriously, does anyone know why Mike Brown is so in love with Paul Alexander? Is it because they go way back? Are they related? Are they both Buckeye fans? Is it because he and his father share the same first name? I know one thing, it's certainly not his coaching ability.

Maybe it's because for a decade or so we've had a top 10 ranked OL year in and year out, even when we were starting guys like Dennis Roland and Nate Livings?

I'm not worried about Og (though I hated the pick then and that hasn't changed). Alexander made things work for years with a starting RT who never showed up and several guards who couldn't normally protect a cupcake from a hungry kid. He'll make Og work out.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2016, 02:17 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: Paul Alexander won't ever leave this team. Even after he dies he's going to be buried at the 50 yard line and be a honorary member of the team.

I think it will be more like a "Weekend at Bernie's" kind of thing.
Reply/Quote
For those complaining about Ogbuehi and Fisher, Andre Smith hasn't really been any better this year for Minnesota.

An article on NFL.com just came out saying Smith has been one of the more disappointing FA pickups, ranking 76 out of 78 qualifiers according to PFF for the first 3 weeks.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000711833/article/coby-fleener-andre-johnson-among-struggling-pickups
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Ogbuehi will be fine. And to judge fisher on being plugged into a position he's not necessarily accustomed to is unfair. Also, to be fair, nobody on the Oline has played too well so far this season, including big whit. I really hope they can get some things ironed out, if only a little, on this 10 day mini bye.

Reply/Quote
(09-30-2016, 02:56 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Think that they'll be passable, but much like Zeitler, they will fail to meet  draft day hype/expectations.

Part of that might be on OL Coaching, and partly on Kenny Z's offense, but it certainly doesn't seem like they are going to be dominate.

We can't keep saying "It takes 3-4-5 years!" for all your first and second round picks. Lol

Thank you.  Five years is an eternity in the NFL.  Especially for a first round draft pick.  These guys are supposed to be able to come in and contribute right way and definitely be up to speed by year two.

You've got these guys going into their fifth year option and the team is not even really sure what they have.  Plus you lose all the advantages of the rookie pay scale when they are sitting on the bench and ready for an extension by the time they start playing.
Reply/Quote
Lots of critics on this board. I'm not sure why some of you aren't working in a NFL front office somewhere. Hindsight is 20/20
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2016, 12:19 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: Lots of critics on this board. I'm not  sure why some of you aren't working in a NFL front office somewhere. Hindsight is 20/20

You do realize that is the point of an internet discussion board, right?  You talk about the team with other board members, discuss what you would do differently, what you think the team is going well.  It is the entire purpose.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2016, 01:12 AM)BengalChris Wrote: Now I'm not saying the Og and Fisher are going to play poorly forever and I'm not calling them busts either.

But, Fisher was in tonight at LG and looked really bad. He let a guy just blow right past him for a sack, then he false starts.

Did we whiff on these two or is there something I'm just not seeing about them?

Og will be good, he has played against some of the best pass rushing Ends in the league so far this year early.

Give him a little time and he could be real good with his size and athleticism. He is also smart.

Fisher got thrown out there at LG and sure had a terrible play but he is very versatile and has played well before.

I think they both could be very good down the road especially if we had a good OL coach to coach them up.
Reply/Quote
Call me crazy, but I really have ZERO concern about Ced. He more than held his own last week against Von and he did a pretty good job last night as well.

I think the mental part of the game is going to come, but he clearly is physically gifted enough to be a top tier RT.

I never really like the Fisher pick in the 2nd round. There were way too many other pending needs that could have/should have been addressed. Taking a WR at that spot would have prevented having 3 new guys playing significant snaps.

But, in all fairness, if you have a guy graded as a first round tackle and you know you could be losing both of yours in the next couple years, it makes sense.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2016, 01:23 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Call me crazy, but I really have ZERO concern about Ced.  He more than held his own last week against Von and he did a pretty good job last night as well.

I think the mental part of the game is going to come, but he clearly is physically gifted enough to be a top tier RT.

I never really like the Fisher pick in the 2nd round.  There were way too many other pending needs that could have/should have been addressed.  Taking a WR at that spot would have prevented having 3 new guys playing significant snaps.

But, in all fairness, if you have a guy graded as a first round tackle and you know you could be losing both of yours in the next couple years, it makes sense.

That's the thing. Hobson has mentioned that Fisher was going to be the 1st round pick if Ced was gone, so the team was infatuated with him.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
I dont think we whiffed on them, but still unsure on the Fisher pick only because of using that pick on another position.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
Patients is a virtue and being a bengals fan you have to have them. I think they will be fine
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2016, 09:44 AM)Sweetness Wrote: How many rookie olinemen do you really see come in and dominate, especially tackles? They almost always struggle their first year or two. If they're still pulling Bodines in a few years then we can start talking about how they suck.

Good thing they're not rookies then, huh?

If 2nd year 1st and 2nd round picks aren't producing, they are disappointing at best.

It shouldn't take their entire rookie contract (plus occasionally a 5th year option) to know if a player is good or not.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2016, 04:20 PM)Millhouse Wrote: I dont think we whiffed on them, but still unsure on the Fisher pick only because of using that pick on another position.

We were ready to take a DT with our 2nd rounder, but Miami snagged him. We just had Fisher rated so high so the team "stuck to the board" and Fisher was BPA. It made a little sense in that Whit and Andre were up after the season.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2016, 05:07 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: We were ready to take a DT with our 2nd rounder, but Miami snagged him.

I really wanted Jordan Phillips in that draft.  Hopefully Boling turns out ok. I think that was Phillips who injured him.  I think it was also Phillips who injured Jeremy early also.
Reply/Quote
Ah, the ol' I'm not jumping the gun but I really am thread. A true classic.

Just a reminder. Think back to the beginning of Andre Smith's career.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-30-2016, 01:17 AM)BobJones4980 Wrote: Fisher was playing out of position and and had to come in halfway through the game, too soon to say on either guy honestly but waaaaay too early for Fisher.

This.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
I think we've actually hit on Ced. OTs struggle early in their careers, yet I see him improving every game. Would love to see what he can do on the blindside.

As a side-note: Bodine is getting better (not counting the dribbled snap last night)
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-30-2016, 06:43 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I think we've actually hit on Ced. OTs struggle early in their careers, yet I see him improving every game. Would love to see what he can do on the blindside.

As a side-note: Bodine is getting better (not counting the dribbled snap last night)

I don't know about better, as a better quality of blocker from the snap, but I saw a couple plays that gave me some hope.  He is at least showing a little bit of tenacity to go find someone to block, even if he got his ass kicked at the snap.  I noticed on one particular play that he at least had aggravated Suh to the point of snippiness, because it looked almost like they were about to come to blows.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote