Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did we whiff on two OTs (Fisher and Og) in last year's draft?
(09-30-2016, 02:56 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Think that they'll be passable, but much like Zeitler, they will fail to meet  draft day hype/expectations.

Part of that might be on OL Coaching, and partly on Kenny Z's offense, but it certainly doesn't seem like they are going to be dominate.

We can't keep saying "It takes 3-4-5 years!" for all your first and second round picks. Lol

Zeitler has been a very good player for us, and to think otherwise is crazy.

He's playing next to Bodine and Ogubehi. Ogubehi can't anchor and stay engaged. Bodine whiffs blocks and also can't anchor. Zeitler is the only bright spot to the right side. Zeitler isn't bad at all.

He's viewed as one of the best offensive guards out there. By CBS, PFF, BleacherReport, Sports Illustrated, etc. Gave up only 1 sack all of last year.

And it's not like he's just getting credit for being one of the best offensive guards. He's been getting praise since 2014.

Even this year, Zeitler has played well. Had two false starts last game but otherwise has done well. Especially when looking at who he's playing between.

Zeitler is a Pro Bowl player. Outside of Yanda, Turner, Martin, and possibly DeCastro, what other right offensive guards would you put ahead of him?
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2016, 05:06 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Good thing they're not rookies then, huh?

If 2nd year 1st and 2nd round picks aren't producing, they are disappointing at best.

It shouldn't take their entire rookie contract (plus occasionally a 5th year option) to know if a player is good or not.

Cedric didn't play last year and Fisher didn't play his actual position so I'm pretty sure you knew what I meant. They're pretty much rookies as far as playing goes, especially Ced. 
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2016, 07:29 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Zeitler has been a very good player for us, and to think otherwise is crazy.

He's playing next to Bodine and Ogubehi. Ogubehi can't anchor and stay engaged. Bodine whiffs blocks and also can't anchor. Zeitler is the only bright spot to the right side. Zeitler isn't bad at all.

He's viewed as one of the best offensive guards out there. By CBS, PFF, BleacherReport, Sports Illustrated, etc. Gave up only 1 sack all of last year.

And it's not like he's just getting credit for being one of the best offensive guards. He's been getting praise since 2014.

Even this year, Zeitler has played well. Had two false starts last game but otherwise has done well. Especially when looking at who he's playing between.

Zeitler is a Pro Bowl player. Outside of Yanda, Turner, Martin, and possibly DeCastro, what other right offensive guards would you put ahead of him?

Me, if I were young, healthy, and about #60 heavier..
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
People seem to be forgetting that the number one area impacted by the off-season and practice rules of the CBA is on the line.  Players on either side of the ball do not have adequate time to learn.  The offensive side is impacted even more due to the vast difference is schemes from college to the pros.

With a few exceptions from the guys who are in pro-style offenses, the days of an o-lineman becoming a good one in the first two years are behind us.

So we have a two young guys who played in spread systems in college not only having to learn how the NFL game is played, they are doing it at different positions from where they were in college.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2016, 07:00 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I don't know about better, as a better quality of blocker from the snap, but I saw a couple plays that gave me some hope.  He is at least showing a little bit of tenacity to go find someone to block, even if he got his ass kicked at the snap.  I noticed on one particular play that he at least had aggravated Suh to the point of snippiness, because it looked almost like they were about to come to blows.
Is this the time when Suh cuffed Bodine under the chin? Bodine handled that well. He didn't pick up a retaliation penalty. Suh was frustrated most of the game by Bodine --A big, but welcome, surprise. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2016, 01:12 AM)BengalChris Wrote: Now I'm not saying the Og and Fisher are going to play poorly forever and I'm not calling them busts either.

But, Fisher was in tonight at LG and looked really bad. He let a guy just blow right past him for a sack, then he false starts.

Did we whiff on these two or is there something I'm just not seeing about them?

I actually think OG has been playing well. Has been up against von Miller and others and hasnt looked to bad. I think think he kid is going to be good. Before the injury he was a top 7 pick.

Fisher it's hard to think he'll. Because he's playing all over the place.

Can fisher play center? It can't really get worse.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2016, 05:44 PM)McC Wrote: Ah, the ol' I'm not jumping the gun but I really am thread.  A true classic.

Just a reminder.  Think back to the beginning of Andre Smith's career.

In fairness, as the 6th overall pick, Andre was most certainly a bust.

He played for 7 year with the Bengals, produced 1 great year, 1 okay year, 2 bad years, and 3 terrible years.

That's a bust.

(09-30-2016, 07:29 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Zeitler has been a very good player for us, and to think otherwise is crazy.

Zeitler has been an above average player for the Bengals I have never denied that. That said, he was marketed as a serious monster in the run game, who would constantly pancake his assignments. They even traded down to get him rather than staying where they were and picking All-Pro DeCastro. He hasn't lived up to draft hype/expectations.

Zeitleris not a Pro Bowl player, because he has never been to the Pro Bowl. Nor has he been 1st or 2nd Team All-Pro. He also hasn't done well this year. Not sure what games you've been watching.

(09-30-2016, 07:34 PM)Sweetness Wrote: Cedric didn't play last year and Fisher didn't play his actual position so I'm pretty sure you knew what I meant. They're pretty much rookies as far as playing goes, especially Ced. 

People did this for 4 year with Kirkpatrick. "Oh, he was essentially a rookie". If you are not eligible to win the ROY award, you are not a rookie. Done.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2016, 01:11 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: People did this for 4 year with Kirkpatrick. "Oh, he was essentially a rookie". If you are not eligible to win the ROY award, you are not a rookie. Done.

The Bengals picked Cedric knowing he had a torn ACL and wouldn't be able to play, so that gets counted against him? Again, Fisher hasn't even been playing the position he was drafted to play so it's hard to say he's a bust. 

That said, I never liked the Kirkpatrick pick and thought he was over rated coming out of college. Unfortunately he hasn't really done anything to prove me wrong. I don't really think you can compare his situation to the other two. He got hurt during training camp and didn't see the field because of things after then Bengals picked him. Plus, it's not like the Bengals were trying to make him play safety or line backer. 
Reply/Quote
Yeah..neither one scored 43 touchdowns in one quarter so OBVIOUSLY they're busts.. no question about it..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote