Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Difference Between A Jail And A State Reformatory?
I recently received an email saying that the driver from my wreck was transferred from the Campbell County Detention Center and I was worried because I figured that it meant that he had been released. Given the fact that he has been given 107 second chances, it didn't seem that far-fetched of an idea, even though he's not supposed to even be eligible for parole for another few years.

I also realize that attacking guards isn't taken lightly at all, so I assumed there was no way he was let go.

However, then, yesterday, I received an email saying that he had been transferred to the Kentucky State Reformatory.

I tried doing research and I can't tell if this is less of a jail and more of just a vocational school and things like that.

It looks like inmates might not be subject to conditions in which they could be victims of acts from other inmates, which would make sense if he found a way to get himself transferred down there because word is that he was getting the shit kicked out of him and raped regularly.

Anybody know anything about the difference? Is his life easier now?
Reply/Quote
A County detention center is just that, a County Jail, a place where they are held for court proceedings prior to sentencing, or to serve their short sentences for misdemeanor crimes. The Kentucky State Reformatory is an actual Prison, where inmates go to serve the time of their felony sentences.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2019, 10:53 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The Kentucky State Reformatory is an actual Prison, where inmates go to serve the time of their felony sentences.

And get college degrees and learn how to sew and cook. They also have little wrist bracelets to prevent what they call “The Dre K.” Omg omg omg, and they also have free clothes, food, cable, utilities, medical and much much more.

Meh, just messing. My father in law is in a Kentucky prison and not eligible for parole until he’s 90+. He tries to guilt my wife into giving him money. Then when she don’t, he cuts off the letters until his tantrum is over. Oh well. TMI.

Reply/Quote
(01-16-2019, 10:53 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: A County detention center is just that, a County Jail, a place where they are held for court proceedings prior to sentencing, or to serve their short sentences for misdemeanor crimes.  The Kentucky State Reformatory is an actual Prison, where inmates go to serve the time of their felony sentences.

Wow.  Sounds like they finally might be taking it seriously that he needs to be punished.  

I'm surprised that they would have held him in the county jail for this long, although he did keep committing crimes in jail, so maybe he was doing it on purpose to prevent going to the actual prison.  Maybe it still hasn't clicked that his dad isn't bailing him out of this one like he did for 10 years (you'd think he would have realized after his first lengthy stay, but he's not the brightest).

Do you know what the State Reformatory is like?  Is he going to continue to get his ass kicked and raped?  Is he going to have to throw his poop around again so they'll put him in the psych ward to save him from the beatings and rapings or will they just let the other inmates handle him?

Thanks for the info!  Sorry about pressing for more info, but, if you know, I'd appreciate you telling me just because I'd like to know.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2019, 11:12 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: And get college degrees and learn how to sew and cook. They also have little wrist bracelets to prevent what they call “The Dre K.” Omg omg omg, and they also have free clothes, food, cable, utilities, medical and much much more.

Meh, just messing. My father in law is in a Kentucky prison and not eligible for parole until he’s 90+. He tries to guilt my wife into giving him money. Then when she don’t, he cuts off the letters until his tantrum is over. Oh well. TMI.

lol.........  I did read where they have all these different buildings and it didn't seem like too harsh of a prison:

Quote:Other buildings making up the Kentucky State Reformatory include an Academic/Vocational School, Gymnasium, Chapel, Dining Facility, Inmate Canteen, Correctional Industries, Visitation Building and Mental Health Building.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2019, 11:18 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: lol.........  I did read where they have all these different buildings and it didn't seem like too harsh of a prison:

Prison, generally, isn't supposed to "make people pay" for something they did. It's a form of banishment. Basically, someone has done something deserving of them being cut off from the bulk of their freedoms. 
Reply/Quote
My high school flame works for the Kentucky prison system. It's bad. Very very bad. Bad people doing bad things. First Google article, guy shanked 16 times.

Sent from my N9517 using Tapatalk
[Image: Storer50_1.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2019, 02:17 AM)Storer50 Wrote: My high school flame works for the Kentucky prison system. It's bad. Very very bad. Bad people doing bad things. First Google article, guy shanked 16 times.

Sent from my N9517 using Tapatalk

Wow.  Yeah.

Like I said, he mouths off to everyone and doesn't know how to respect authority or follow rules, so it wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't last too long.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2019, 11:14 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Do you know what the State Reformatory is like?  Is he going to continue to get his ass kicked and raped?  Is he going to have to throw his poop around again so they'll put him in the psych ward to save him from the beatings and ratings or will they just let the other inmates handle him?

As far as I know only two of Kentucky's State Prison facilities allow unlimited raping and beating among the inmates, the Roederer Correctional Complex in LaGrange, and the Green River Correctional Complex in Central City.  All the others have rules against raping and beating which are strictly enforced by prison employees.

But you can check their website to see if any of this has changed recently.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2019, 03:27 PM)fredtoast Wrote: As far as I know only two of Kentucky's State Prison facilities allow unlimited raping and beating among the inmates, the Roederer Correctional Complex in LaGrange, and the Green River Correctional Complex in Central City.  All the others have rules against raping and beating which are strictly enforced by prison employees.

But you can check their website to see if any of this has changed recently.

Not to high-jack Brad's thread, but I've got a quick aside about the bolded above.  I moved to LaGrange a handful of years ago, and needed a job.  The prison is always hiring, so I applied for an admin/clerical position. Went in for an interview and it was one of the strangest things I've done. 

First, after I got through security, no one came to get me.  I was just standing around, alone, for a good five minutes before my interviewer, an older gentleman, 'found' me.  Then we went back to a conference room where another older guy was waiting.  The first thing they asked me was if I was ok with profanity. I'm super fine with it, so after than every sentence out of their mouth contained some. The questions started off like a normal interview: where'd you go to school, what's your idea of teamwork, etc. Then it got weird.

They asked if I'd have a problem being spit on, because I'd have to walk through the yard to get to the admin building every day and the prisoners would spit on and curse at me as I did. Then they went over what the job was.  Started out with this filing records, sending requests, just office stuff.  Then they added that there was currently a guard shortage and I'd be sent to 'the academy' and have a rotation as a guard 'at least once a week'.  The next question was 'do you just want to be a guard? They make a lot more than what this job makes". I did not want to be a guard, so at this point I'm like 'naw, this isn't for me'.

Then one of the guys leans back and asked if I'm married. I said yes.  He asked if I have young children, which I do. He looks me right in the eyes and says 'if you take this job, you'll need to find a hobby or something to do.  Because this place is full of awful people who have done awful things and it will get to you.  You will abuse your wife and children if you don't find something to distract you.  I've lost two marriages to this place and he's lost one.  So, that's something you need to think about.  You're young. You don't want this place to ruin your life'.

I know they have to tell you these things because that's the way it is.  It was just weird since I've only had 'normal' office jobs that didn't include dealing with rapists and murders everyday. So I left with no intentions of taking this job it offered.  After something like 3 weeks I figured I didn't get the job, but then they called and asked if i was still interested. I said no i wasn't and the lady got pretty snippy with me saying "well, they were going to call you later today with an offer!".

A few days after that a prisoner held a nurse hostage in the medical office for a few hours. Sounds like it's not a great place for anyone.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2019, 09:11 AM)Donnyho Wrote: Not to high-jack Brad's thread, but I've got a quick aside about the bolded above.  I moved to LaGrange a handful of years ago, and needed a job.  The prison is always hiring, so I applied for an admin/clerical position. Went in for an interview and it was one of the strangest things I've done. 

First, after I got through security, no one came to get me.  I was just standing around, alone, for a good five minutes before my interviewer, an older gentleman, 'found' me.  Then we went back to a conference room where another older guy was waiting.  The first thing they asked me was if I was ok with profanity. I'm super fine with it, so after than every sentence out of their mouth contained some. The questions started off like a normal interview: where'd you go to school, what's your idea of teamwork, etc. Then it got weird.

They asked if I'd have a problem being spit on, because I'd have to walk through the yard to get to the admin building every day and the prisoners would spit on and curse at me as I did. Then they went over what the job was.  Started out with this filing records, sending requests, just office stuff.  Then they added that there was currently a guard shortage and I'd be sent to 'the academy' and have a rotation as a guard 'at least once a week'.  The next question was 'do you just want to be a guard? They make a lot more than what this job makes". I did not want to be a guard, so at this point I'm like 'naw, this isn't for me'.

Then one of the guys leans back and asked if I'm married. I said yes.  He asked if I have young children, which I do. He looks me right in the eyes and says 'if you take this job, you'll need to find a hobby or something to do.  Because this place is full of awful people who have done awful things and it will get to you.  You will abuse your wife and children if you don't find something to distract you.  I've lost two marriages to this place and he's lost one.  So, that's something you need to think about.  You're young. You don't want this place to ruin your life'.

I know they have to tell you these things because that's the way it is.  It was just weird since I've only had 'normal' office jobs that didn't include dealing with rapists and murders everyday. So I left with no intentions of taking this job it offered.  After something like 3 weeks I figured I didn't get the job, but then they called and asked if i was still interested. I said no i wasn't and the lady got pretty snippy with me saying "well, they were going to call you later today with an offer!".

A few days after that a prisoner held a nurse hostage in the medical office for a few hours. Sounds like it's not a great place for anyone.

I don't blame you, LaGrange is rough as they come, from what I hear.  

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-18-2019, 09:11 AM)Donnyho Wrote: Not to high-jack Brad's thread, but I've got a quick aside about the bolded above.  I moved to LaGrange a handful of years ago, and needed a job.  The prison is always hiring, so I applied for an admin/clerical position. Went in for an interview and it was one of the strangest things I've done. 

I don't believe that one bit. My little brother is in corrections and while he's arrogant and a bit of a pr*** he isnt violent.

I couldn't do it because how you have to treat the inmates denying them any human rights and privacy. I understand they deserve it but I just think privacy is important so I just couldn't treat anyone like they have too.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-18-2019, 03:53 PM)Synric Wrote: I don't believe that one bit. My little brother is in corrections and while he's arrogant and a bit of a pr*** he isnt violent.

I couldn't do it because how you have to treat the inmates denying them any human rights and privacy. I understand they deserve it but I just think privacy is important so I just couldn't treat anyone like they have too.

I was a corrections officer at the Southern Ohio Correctional Facility in Lucasville, Ohio (SOCF) for nearly 10 years and I can say without any shadow of a doubt it changes you. 

There's no way to describe it in 25 words or less but violence is in your life everyday and it's so very hard to just turn it on and off.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2019, 05:04 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I was a corrections officer at the Southern Ohio Correctional Facility in Lucasville, Ohio (SOCF) for nearly 10 years and I can say without any shadow of a doubt it changes you. 

There's no way to describe it in 25 words or less but violence is in your life everyday and it's so very hard to just turn it on and off.

And on the same hand we expect people who have spent 10 years locked up in such an environment to be able to just turn it off once released.
Part of the problem (in my mind anyway) is we've made prison and punishment out of mind, out of sight by putting prisons so far away from population centers which makes it extremely difficult for family and friends (and attorneys) to visit inmates which in turn allows us to keep prison populations to remain ever increasing. 
Not that it'll ever happen, but imagine if every prison build had to be right downtown where everyone was acutely aware of them. We might start thinking of crime and punishment quite differently.  After all it's not AS IF 1000s break out of prison every single day to terrorize the local citizenry. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-19-2019, 04:47 PM)grampahol Wrote: And on the same hand we expect people who have spent 10 years locked up in such an environment to be able to just turn it off once released.
Part of the problem (in my mind anyway) is we've made prison and punishment out of mind, out of sight by putting prisons so far away from population centers which makes it extremely difficult for family and friends (and attorneys) to visit inmates which in turn allows us to keep prison populations to remain ever increasing. 
Not that it'll ever happen, but imagine if every prison build had to be right downtown where everyone was acutely aware of them. We might start thinking of crime and punishment quite differently.  After all it's not AS IF 1000s break out of prison every single day to terrorize the local citizenry. 

Not quite where I thought you were going with this. TBH, not sure why housing criminals in the face of the public they committed crimes against helps anything? Specially when victims of rape and families of murder victims may have to walk/drive by the place everyday, or living in a home knowing someone who killed your child lives 2 blocks away? That would be devastating to so many.

There are different levels of prisons in many cases which people are sentenced based on the severity of their crimes. In most cases, you don’t go to prison without harming others in some fashion. Now, I don’t think a guy who cheated on his taxes should be celled with a murderer, and I don’t know if any state allows such things, but generally you know when your breaking the law and have a good idea of the severity of the punishment if caught.

Prisons should be kept outside of communities. Not so people forget they exist, but so fears are calmed that they have been removed from society.

WTS, your first point hits home. How does a guy/gal become a valued citizen in the community without the proper rehabilitation? Fighting for survival and maintaining your butt from invasion is not good rehabilitation. If ever released, there’s a good chance your going back because they are probably worse exiting than they were when entering.

Not even sure there is a solution to all this but better parenting. But heck, even bad people had great parents. There is so much crime in the world to rehabilitate maybe, who knows? Most of the funding probably goes to creating more space.

Reply/Quote
Just found his picture on their website..........

[Image: 0121566.jpg]

No way in hell he lasts very long................
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2019, 12:26 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: I don't blame you, LaGrange is rough as they come, from what I hear.  

Really?

I heard they got a lot of nice girls down there... A hah hah hah...

The air is fine...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2019, 03:19 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Just found his picture on their website..........

[Image: 0121566.jpg]

No way in hell he lasts very long................

Lord have mercy... Your boy's been sitting in that county jail forever. You were talking about this shit years ago.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2019, 11:33 AM)jason Wrote: Lord have mercy... Your boy's been sitting in that county jail forever. You were talking about this shit years ago.

Pretty sure that he could have been out by now but he attacked guards in court and in while in the county jail, and they don't take that shit lightly.

Like I said, I'll be surprised if he survives down there, whether it be him mouthing off to the wrong person or him just killing himself.

I actually saw the passenger last night because he showed up with people he works with after they got off their shift at the pizza place (pretty sure he's a bus boy.......  he really has his life in order  ThumbsUp).  

I will give him (the passenger) credit, though, because he seems like he's clean, might be trying to get back into acting, and generally just seems better in life.  He also said that he wants to finally come see one of my presentations (his mom also wants to come) and said that he'd probably bawl all the way through it.

I'm wondering if I should edit how I answer when they asked what happened to him, though, because I say that he and the driver got into drugs real bad to cope and now he doesn't really talk to me anymore besides responding if I reply to one of his Facebook posts.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2019, 11:32 AM)jason Wrote: Really?

I heard they got a lot of nice girls down there... A hah hah hah...

The air is fine...

I got a shack outside there...
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote