Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Discussing Joe Mixon (going forward)
Joe Mixon is a polarizing figure, and not just on this board or among the Bengal fan base, but in practically every discussion that occurs about him across the country. The 'incident' that occurred with him and the young lady centers around a topic - violence towards women - which has become more prominent in the public conversation over the last few years, and which often generates a lot of emotion on all sides.

No matter what anyone thinks of Mixon, or what he did in the past, the fact is that he's a Bengal now - whether you love it, hate it or are completely indifferent about it. This board is going to have to find a way to deal with that without being at each others throats for the next few years. 

Personally, I'm not a Mixon fan and didn't want him on the team. I expressed my feelings about that prior to the draft. However, the reality is that he was drafted by the Bengals and he will be part of this team, no matter my personal feelings about it. 

When Marvin said that Mixon will be living under a microscope, I think he was absolutely right. That actually presents a great opportunity for Mixon, IMO. If he stays out of trouble, gets involved in the community and charities, and carries himself well on and off the field...he can eventually win over a lot of people who aren't currently rooting for him and do wonders for the perception his critics have about him. I'm certainly open to changing my opinion if those things happen.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that everyone is entitled to their opinion of the kid, and what he did. Everyone also has a right to express those opinions. I just ask that going forward, the members of this board make a concerted effort to discuss Mixon - and all topics -in an adult way, without resorting to attacking each other personally. 

When it comes specifically to the moderation of this topic, or any that involves very different opinions and points of view...our goal to let everyone speak their mind. If you have something to say, stick to the subject matter (or items relevant/pertaining to the subject matter) and make your case. I realize that, in and of itself, can sometimes lead to contentious discussion, but it doesn't have to lead to attacking one another...which in turn, ends up ruining the conversation and risks getting suspended or banned. 
Reply/Quote
Just wait and see. If he has a Adrian Peterson type career , gains upwards of 2000 yards a season for a few years and scores 20 TDs in two years every fan of every team that picked before us will be whining about their front office not picking him. 
It's not like he beat a kid with a stick like Peterson.  I'm not excusing what he did, but he was still a kid himself when he clobbered the girl and she wasn't exactly playing the part of the saint when it happened. 
Hell, for all we know the two will get married someday and go on to have ten perfectly adjusted kids. I'm not predicting that, but at the same time I'm not predicting anything much less a stellar career. He's part of the team now and the past is just the past. I have plenty of things I could worry about from my past, but I can never go back in time to change any of them and wouldn't even if I could. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2017, 01:58 PM)grampahol Wrote: Just wait and see. If he has a Adrian Peterson type career , gains upwards of 2000 yards a season for a few years and scores 20 TDs in two years every fan of every team that picked before us will be whining about their front office not picking him. 
It's not like he beat a kid with a stick like Peterson.  I'm not excusing what he did, but he was still a kid himself when he clobbered the girl and she wasn't exactly playing the part of the saint when it happened. 
Hell, for all we know the two will get married someday and go on to have ten perfectly adjusted kids. I'm not predicting that, but at the same time I'm not predicting anything much less a stellar career. He's part of the team now and the past is just the past. I have plenty of things I could worry about from my past, but I can never go back in time to change any of them and wouldn't even if I could. 

Your post made me go look something up that I found interesting:
Only seven RBs have ever reached 2000 rushing yards in a season.
Not a single one of them did it more than one season in their entire career.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2017, 01:42 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Joe Mixon is a polarizing figure, and not just on this board or among the Bengal fan base, but in practically every discussion that occurs about him across the country. The 'incident' that occurred with him and the young lady centers around a topic - violence towards women - which has become more prominent in the public conversation over the last few years, and which often generates a lot of emotion on all sides.

No matter what anyone thinks of Mixon, or what he did in the past, the fact is that he's a Bengal now - whether you love it, hate it or are completely indifferent about it. This board is going to have to find a way to deal with that without being at each others throats for the next few years. 

Personally, I'm not a Mixon fan
and didn't want him on the team. I expressed my feelings about that prior to the draft. However, the reality is that he was drafted by the Bengals and he will be part of this team, no matter my personal feelings about it. 

When Marvin said that Mixon will be living under a microscope, I think he was absolutely right. That actually presents a great opportunity for Mixon, IMO. If he stays out of trouble, gets involved in the community and charities, and carries himself well on and off the field...he can eventually win over a lot of people who aren't currently rooting for him and do wonders for the perception his critics have about him. I'm certainly open to changing my opinion if those things happen.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that everyone is entitled to their opinion of the kid, and what he did. Everyone also has a right to express those opinions. I just ask that going forward, the members of this board make a concerted effort to discuss Mixon - and all topics -in an adult way, without resorting to attacking each other personally. 

When it comes specifically to the moderation of this topic, or any that involves very different opinions and points of view...our goal to let everyone speak their mind. If you have something to say, stick to the subject matter (or items relevant/pertaining to the subject matter) and make your case. I realize that, in and of itself, can sometimes lead to contentious discussion, but it doesn't have to lead to attacking one another...which in turn, ends up ruining the conversation and risks getting suspended or banned. 

I felt the say way when Dunlap was drafted due to his DUI. Over time he has proven his criminal act (putting himself in a position to use an automobile to kill others) was a one time mistake and he is now a community leader. Let's hope Joe Mixon will follow his great example of how to move forward with his life.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Here's hoping that he masters his temper, becomes a great back, the Bengals win a couple super bowls and suddenly they are talked about as the team which knows how to handle character issues and becomes the team that redeems projects. What I've learned over the last ten years or so is that if your team wins, almost all your sins are forgiven (or at least spun in a different way that makes it less negative).
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2017, 02:09 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I felt the say way when Dunlap was drafted due to his DUI. Over time he has proven his criminal act (putting himself in a position to use an automobile to kill others) was a one time mistake and he is now a community leader. Let's hope Joe Mixon will follow his great example of how to move forward with his life.

(05-02-2017, 02:11 PM)masterpanthera_t Wrote: Here's hoping that he masters his temper, becomes a great back, the Bengals win a couple super bowls and suddenly they are talked about as the team which knows how to handle character issues and becomes the team that redeems projects. 

He will certainly be given the opportunity to prove himself...both as a football player, and more importantly...a man. 
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2017, 02:29 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: He will certainly be given the opportunity to prove himself...both as a football player, and more importantly...a man. 

Yes, as a man. I need to remind myself Joe Mixon's "incident" took place the day after his seventeenth birthday. That's not an excuse. It's a factor.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2017, 01:42 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: When it comes specifically to the moderation of this topic, or any that involves very different opinions and points of view...our goal to let everyone speak their mind. If you have something to say, stick to the subject matter (or items relevant/pertaining to the subject matter) and make your case. I realize that, in and of itself, can sometimes lead to contentious discussion, but it doesn't have to lead to attacking one another...which in turn, ends up ruining the conversation and risks getting suspended or banned. 

Great post from our wise moderator. Thank you.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2017, 03:48 PM)bengals67 Wrote: Great post from our wise moderator. Thank you.

[Image: 4f2f306beda4969dc66784db4bf17a35_anchorm...00-529.gif]
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Funny. I dont remember Tyreek Hill getting a bunch of negative publicity after the draft last year. I didnt know who he was or that he was beating up pregnant women until he started playing well. And the national conversation was never a witch hunt like it is with Mixon.

Now we have a guy under investigation for rape drafted in the first. And a Browns pick with current charges. Somehow Mixon is still the major national bash fest story.

Tim Williams was one of the biggest character flags in the draft. The Ravens have had more legal trouble than us lately. Noone is making a big deal out of that.

I just know I would live to see Mixon knock out some of the talking heads on NFL network
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2017, 07:33 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Funny. I dont remember Tyreek Hill getting a bunch of negative publicity after the draft last year. I didnt know who he was or that he was beating up pregnant women until he started playing well. And the national conversation was never a witch hunt like it is with Mixon.

Now we have a guy under investigation for rape drafted in the first. And a Browns pick with current charges. Somehow Mixon is still the major national bash fest story.

Tim Williams was one of the biggest character flags in the draft. The Ravens have had more legal trouble than us lately. Noone is making a big deal out of that.

I just know I would live to see Mixon knock out some of the talking heads on NFL network

The video makes for a great news clip/click bait.  Honestly, if the video hadn't come out, he'd have been gone in the 1st 15 picks.  
Reply/Quote
I think Mixon will be fine, I think he has truly learned from his past and won't let it happen again.
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
I hope he stays on the straight and narrow. Unlike Tyrek, Brantley, even Cook I'm afraid the perception people have of him will never go away simply for the fact that it's on video and the others aren't. Like someone mentioned on here about not knowing what Tyrek did till he got recognized nationally. Even if Mixon goes on to light up the NFL there will always be people (believe it or not) that don't know about his past only to find out once they google him etc. cause the video will always be there. It's a shame. This is something he's going to have to battle with the rest of his life. Yet I ask, is that not punishment enough.
Reply/Quote
I won't comment on him anymore. I hear that the ticket person was a woman too. He revved up his car as if he was going to run over her. He obviously has built in issues. I'd say he's a good talent and I'll also say that I wish that they didn't draft him based on his anger issues, disrespect and lack of discipline. I won't change opinions of people who only want to win at any cost, regardless and you won't change my opinion that they could have found another good talent that doesn't have these types of issues.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2017, 07:33 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Funny. I dont remember Tyreek Hill getting a bunch of negative publicity after the draft last year. I didnt know who he was or that he was beating up pregnant women until he started playing well. And the national conversation was never a witch hunt like it is with Mixon.

People see better than they hear. They saw Mixon flatten that girl. Tyreke Hill didn't try to murder his unborn kid on video, so as ****** up as it sounds, it pales in comparison to the image of her dropping like a sack of potatoes. Best believe, Hill would be on the streets if a video surfaced if that incident.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
What we could do is just forget about the non football stuff for now. Nothing we say changes anything, so instead let's concentrate on how best to employ Ross and Mixon, and obviously also who is getting cut to make room.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2017, 09:32 PM)Joelist Wrote: What we could do is just forget about the non football stuff for now. Nothing we say changes anything, so instead let's concentrate on how best to employ Ross and Mixon, and obviously also who is getting cut to make room.

Agree.  
Reply/Quote
Mixon will be the villain of the day until Kaepernick signs with a team and then public opinion will go back to how he should never be allowed to work again.
Reply/Quote
The bulk of commentary really is sickening. I look at it this way. The victim forgave him and he paid the due administered by the US justice system. This story should be over.

But yeah, that video.

Reply/Quote
Stay out of trouble off the field and try not to go out much because you don't want someone looking for a payday provoking you. On the field you better produce early and consistently. He has to live with what he has done and that label with always be with him and something that will always be mentioned no matter what he does on the field. However, he needs to grow from the experience and become a good citizen and person similar to Dunlap and his DUI situation. If he can become a role model and leader and continue to own that awful mistake then no reason to crucify the guy over and over in my opinion.
[Image: fadQsr.png]
Reply/Quote