Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
"Diversity is not our strength": Cincy's own Ramaswamy 2024!
(10-13-2023, 05:52 PM)Housh Wrote: The reason America never delves into a situation like Israel is because we stick together when needed

All that racial violence you see everyday on social media is not a real representation of what happens in America. The majority of Americans are peaceful and just wanna go to work and feed their family.

I fully agree that the media pushes this shit to divide us.

I agree with everything you say here. Americans get along, co-exist and even celebrates one another. But like so many variations of reporters sitting in a foot of water to make it look waste deep, it's all attention and divide. Most of the hatred in this country is fueled by politicians and media. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2023, 07:07 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I agree with everything you say here. Americans get along, co-exist and even celebrates one another. But like so many variations of reporters sitting in a foot of water to make it look waste deep, it's all attention and divide. Most of the hatred in this country is fueled by politicians and media. 

I'd have to concur as well.  There's no other logical explanation for why racial hatred has increased the last ten or so years while racial equality has never been better.  We talk about this at work all the time.  This is being done intentionally and it would be interesting to know why.
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2023, 07:16 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I'd have to concur as well.  There's no other logical explanation for why racial hatred has increased the last ten or so years while racial equality has never been better.  We talk about this at work all the time.  This is being done intentionally and it would be interesting to know why.

Views and clicks = money for the media

A couple years ago that Facebook whistleblower said something like (I didn’t follow too closely) their algorithms showed you content that would anger and outrage you on purpose.

What are you more likely to click on? The story you could give two shits about, or the headline that gets your blood boiling?
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2023, 07:16 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I'd have to concur as well.  There's no other logical explanation for why racial hatred has increased the last ten or so years while racial equality has never been better.  We talk about this at work all the time.  This is being done intentionally and it would be interesting to know why.

Your right. And we continued to get better every day. We wasn't perfect, but damn, we were trying. But to answer your last question, it's power IMO. But beyond that, I can't figure out the reasoning. All I know is the more hatred we have towards one another, people are getting rich off of it and it has severely weakened our country. 

I think back when 9-11 happened and it was like everyone in this country put aside differences and we were one. There didn't seem to be a divide after that for awhile. I fear we will never experience that again.

Reply/Quote
(10-13-2023, 08:10 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Views and clicks = money for the media

A couple years ago that Facebook whistleblower said something like (I didn’t follow too closely) their algorithms showed you content that would anger and outrage you on purpose.

What are you more likely to click on? The story you could give two shits about, or the headline that gets your blood boiling?

You're preaching to the choir on this one, my friend.  I've been banging this drum for years now.

(10-13-2023, 08:15 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Your right. And we continued to get better every day. We wasn't perfect, but damn, we were trying. But to answer your last question, it's power IMO. But beyond that, I can't figure out the reasoning. All I know is the more hatred we have towards one another, people are getting rich off of it and it has severely weakened our country. 

I think back when 9-11 happened and it was like everyone in this country put aside differences and we were one. There didn't seem to be a divide after that for awhile. I fear we will never experience that again.

There's certainly a profit motive, as Nati states.  I think part of it is that it's easier to pull things over on people who are distracted by these types of things.  I'm not accusing any specific administration, but I do think that the liberties inherent in our system are inconvenient for some of the objectives of those in power.  I have many friends from the UK, and they've commented on how class used to be the big distractor there, but it's now becoming race.  The more you can make people concentrate on their neighbors the less they'll notice those in power picking their pockets.
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2023, 05:52 PM)Housh Wrote: The reason America never delves into a situation like Israel is because we stick together when needed

All that racial violence you see everyday on social media is not a real representation of what happens in America. The majority of Americans are peaceful and just wanna go to work and feed their family.

Could media "divide us" without politicians who want to divide us?

Just curious what you think.  

I'm not clear why anyone would say it's the media when politicians are saying and doing things
that I have not seen done in my lifetime--till the last decade or so.
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2023, 09:22 PM)Dill Wrote: Could media "divide us" without politicians who want to divide us?

Just curious what you think.  

I'm not clear why anyone would say it's the media when politicians are saying and doing things
that I have not seen done in my lifetime--till the last decade or so.

A politician can say all kinds of things.  Without the media to broadcast and amplify what they say it reaches far fewer people.  Ponder that.
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2023, 08:10 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Views and clicks = money for the media

I wonder if everyone means/sees the same thing when they refer to "division" in the U.S.

E.g., a few years back when there was a wave of anti-Sharia legislation crossing the U.S., I saw that as "pushing division" for sure, 
but I didn't blame those segments of the media who were merely reporting it.
https://publicintegrity.org/politics/state-politics/copy-paste-legislate/many-state-bills-one-source-behind-the-push-to-ban-sharia-law/
https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/2018/02/05/anti-sharia-law-bills-united-states

Same for the more recent wave of ant-CRT legislation. It was just crazy how so many states passed bills against something that didn't seem
to exist in schools, at least as part of the curriculum. From my side of the divide this looks like a spun up faux issue to scare people and get
votes. From the other side it must look like a defense against a racist ideology permeating education. 
https://www.forbes.com/sites/petergreene/2022/02/16/teacher-anti-crt-bills-coast-to-coast-a-state-by-state-guide/?sh=1b601c714ff6
https://www.edweek.org/policy-politics/map-where-critical-race-theory-is-under-attack/2021/06

If we are talking about the MSM, I don't see a strategy of "attention and divide." I just see reporters doing their job. I WANT them to report
that news. Maybe some of you are thinking more of social media, or maybe a well known news organization with a more profit-oriented 
business model which pulls back on accurate reporting if they start losing viewers. 

Now the country is still divided over whether the last presidential election was rigged. Two or three news sources excepted, I do not see
how the media could be held responsible for that division, which still makes our legislature dysfunctional in a dangerous world. 

One reason I found the Conservative News link above interesting was because it seemed to present the heated Hannity/Ramaswamy fight
even handedly. I think they reported it because it was news, not to divide anyone. 

Hannity is part of the media, but in this case also part of the story. That could be media "creating division." 
But I think I'm missing a larger picture if I view it that way. 
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2023, 09:58 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: A politician can say all kinds of things.  Without the media to broadcast and amplify what they say it reaches far fewer people.  Ponder that.

So it's the messenger then?
Reply/Quote

No reason? I can think of one: smartphone adoption. Fits the ten year window perfectly. 
Reply/Quote

If i hate you or am prejudice against you cause you are white then politicians can sway me to vote Democrat.

Same as Republicans.

If neither party could use racial dog whistles they’d actually have to provide service to the ppl and in my heart o truly believe politicians want to actually do as little for citizens as possible
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2023, 10:28 PM)treee Wrote: No reason? I can think of one: smartphone adoption. Fits the ten year window perfectly. 

An interesting idea, but I don't think it fits as neatly as you suggest.  The Iphone 3 came out in 2008, so the smart phone rather predates this phenomena.  I do agree that social media, which tends to amplify the most extreme voice, thus making them seem mainstream, has a large hand in creating this situation.  So I think you've latched on to a solid contributor.
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2023, 10:28 PM)Dill Wrote: So it's the messenger then?

More the megaphone.
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2023, 01:29 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: More the megaphone.

Shooting the megaphone then?
Reply/Quote

Yup most of us aren’t all that concerned about what race people are in our day to day lives. Most of us just want peaceful lives, and the last thing on our minds is what color is the guy in front of me in the checkout at Kroger.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(10-14-2023, 08:46 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Yup most of us aren’t all that concerned about what race people are in our day to day lives. Most of us just want peaceful lives, and the last thing on our minds is what color is the guy in front of me in the checkout at Kroger.

Rock On
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2023, 08:46 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Yup most of us aren’t all that concerned about what race people are in our day to day lives. Most of us just want peaceful lives, and the last thing on our minds is what color is the guy in front of me in the checkout at Kroger.

(10-14-2023, 09:33 AM)masonbengals fan Wrote: Rock On

When I get to get together with my buddies and we end of talking politics we usually come back to "if we can sit here, disagree and still work things out...why can't the people we elect?"

The obvious answer is the elected people aren't listening to a couple people...they need lots of votes and being sane and rational won't win them their primary.

No, a lot of us don't care about the race of the other person...but a lot of people do.  I work with them.  I know them  They're racists.  Period.  And they vote too.

And we're hit with stories about the "thugs" raiding stores, and CRT and whatever else can be used to riles up people to hate one another while we are all being ripped off.  

When you have leaders saying minorities and immigrants are dirty, rapists, criminals, terrorists...that is the problem, not you or me.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Warning: Reading signatures may hurt your feelings.
Reply/Quote

For or against affirmative action in college admissions?
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2023, 12:08 PM)Dill Wrote: For or against affirmative action in college admissions?

As in quotas? Against.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(10-15-2023, 12:43 PM)michaelsean Wrote: As in quotas?  Against.

Dude, you opened the box!  

[Image: 4rRv.gif]
Reply/Quote