Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Divisional Round Mock
I put in two 4th round comps - one for Carl Lawson (expected) and one for John Ross (rumored to still happen even though he didn't play 25+% of Giants offensive snaps).

2022 NFL FA and Draft:
Estimated cap - $63 mill
Release Trae Waynes +$11 mill = $74 mill

Franchise Tag - Jessie Bates - $13 mill

Re-sign:
Quinton Spain
- $10 mill APY - Need to keep the best OG the team has.

CJ Uzomah - $6 mill APY - Uzomah did well enough given the opportunities. He's also a leader of the team, and they will want to keep him.

BJ Hill - $8 mill APY - I expect Hill will be cheaper to retain than Ogunjobi, and Hill was actually the better run defender. Hill can be the starter next to Reader.

Eli Apple - $5 mill APY - Apple has really come along this season. Bengals should be able to cut Waynes, re-sign Apple, and still have some money left over. Apple can be the starter opposite Awuzie.

Mike Thomas - $1 mill - Taylor seems to like Thomas. He has familiarity with the playbook and plays ST, so there's value there.
--------------------------------------------
$31 mill remaining

FA:
Josey Jewell, LB DEN
- 2 years, $10 mill ($5 mill APY) - Jewell is a well-rounded LB who I liked coming out of Iowa back in 2018. He's solid at about everything, but not great at any one thing. 2020 was his best year, putting up 113 tackles, 4 PDs, and 2 sacks. Jewell takes Evans' spot on the roster but is used as the 3rd LB, ahead of ADG and Bailey. Jewell takes over Pratt's starting role in 2023 if Pratt departs in FA.

Germain Ifedi, OT/OG CHI - 2 years, $12 mill ($6 mill APY) - A guy who has bounced between starting RT and RG in his 6 seasons. He's been ok as a starter. I think he could be a valuable addition as a versatile veteran who probably won't get a lot of attention in FA. I see him competing for a starting spot but a valuable veteran backup at minimum. He slots in as the new starting RT going into the draft.

Josh Reynolds, WR DET - 2 years, $4 mill ($2 mill APY) - Reynolds is a perfect WR3/4 in an offense, and he has familiarity with Taylor from their time with the Rams. Bring in Reynolds to be the new WR4 to replace Tate.

Mitchell Trubisky, QB BUF - 2 years, $6 mill ($3 mill APY) - Burrow's new backup. Upgrade over Allen, IMO.

Casey Hayward, CB LVR
- 1 year, $4 mill - Depth veteran CB. Was solid for the Raiders, but he's older. Only signed with LVR for 1 year, $2.5 mill, so $4 mill should be enough to acquire him. If Hayward goes higher, get a different quality vet for this price or lower. There should be plenty of options.
------------------------------------
$11 mill remaining - Enough to cover the draft and have a bit left over.

Draft:
1) Trevor Penning, OT UNI (6'7", 321 lb)
- I'm always nervous about FCS players transitioning well to the NFL, but from what I've read and seen, I think Penning can succeed. He has ideal size and length, plus he's dominated nearly everyone he's gone up against. He's freakishly strong and also athletic enough that he should be fine in the Bengals' scheme. Penning comes in to compete with Ifedi as the starting RT.

2) Phidarian Mathis, DT Alabama (6'4', 312 lb) - Versatile DL who has ideal size to play DT in the NFL. He's well-rounded, so he can not only rush the passer but also defend the run. His combination of length and strength should allow him to keep the opponent off him and drive him back into the pocket.

3) Coby Bryant, CB UC (6'2", 185 lb) - I think that the Bengals will try to retain Apple and probably sign another veteran CB after letting Waynes go. With that said, they could use a young guy to build quality depth and groom into a future starter. I like Bryant's fit in Anarumo's scheme. His skill set and size translate very well outside too.

4) Jake Ferguson, TE Wisconsin (6'5", 244 lb) - Well-rounded TE who can block but also underrated as a pass catcher. Across 4 seasons in Wisconsin's run-heavy scheme, Ferguson put up 1618 yards and 13 TDs on 145 receptions (11.2 YPR). I see him similar to someone like Dalton Schultz and an improvement in the passing game over Sample.

4comp1) Calvin Austin III, WR/PR Memphis (5'9", 162 lb) - This dude is small, but he's electric. Memphis used him all kinds of ways, and he delivered. He especially thrives with YAC. Austin is also a good PR, which the Bengals need. I see Austin as the 5th WR activated on gamedays, serving as the team's PR and coming into the offense occasionally for gadget plays and in the slot.

4comp2) Sterling Weatherford, SS Miami University (6'4", 215 lb) - Weatherford is a bigger Safety who can cover TEs due to his size and length. He could play some nickel LB if the Bengals wished to use him for that. Weatherford also could be a stud on ST, which is valuable when picking guys on Day 3.

5) Ty Chandler, RB/KR UNC (5'11", 210 lb) - Productive RB in both the SEC (Tennessee) and ACC (UNC). Played more in a RBBC with the Vols, but he got lead back duties at UNC. He had a handful of receptions each season (10-19 each season). He looks to have solid speed, which would help add some explosion to the Bengals offense. It also helps that he has plenty of KR experience - 38 KRs for 850 yards (22.4 YPR) and 1 TD.

6) Chase Lucas, CB Arizona St (6'0", 185 lb) - Lucas is a guy I liked last draft season but he decided to return to college. He still is projected to be a Rd 5-7 pick, so I'll put him where I had him last year - 6th round. I like Lucas as a depth guy initially that could eventually develop into a starter potentially.

7) Nick Ford, OL Utah (6'5", 315 lb) - Extremely versatile OL who has played every single position in college. Ford was voted All-Pac-12 twice. I've seen multiple draft sites say his best position in the NFL will probably be center. He's projected so low because he's been moved around so much in college that he hasn't had the time to develop at one position. I think he's a perfect candidate to take a gamble on late and see if he can turn into something if put at one position. Ford would make the perfect PS candidate if not making the last OL spot on the 53-person roster.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I like your draft, but I'm not a fan of your free agency. I don't really see the need to add Jewell or pay $6 million per year for a backup OG/T. There's also no reason to bring in Trubisky.

I do think we need to add an edge somewhere since we are very thin at the spot
Reply/Quote
Not a fan of Biscuit. Lol

I like the draft but want to see another o lineman early. I feel like we are a good oline away from domination. I'd like to get 2 guys in the first 4 picks.

Like your thoughts and insights. Good stuff!
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2022, 01:48 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I like your draft, but I'm not a fan of your free agency.  I don't really see the need to add Jewell or pay $6 million per year for a backup OG/T.  There's also no reason to bring in Trubisky.  

For backup QB I was thinking Brian Hoyer, Mike White or even Ryan Fitzpatrick.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(01-21-2022, 01:48 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I like your draft, but I'm not a fan of your free agency.  I don't really see the need to add Jewell or pay $6 million per year for a backup OG/T.  There's also no reason to bring in Trubisky.  

Bengals aren't thin at edge once Ossai is back. That's my view anyway.

What do you mean there's no reason for Trubisky? Brandon Allen is a bad backup and is set to be a FA. The Bengals need a better one. Trubisky is better.

The logic behind adding Jewell and Ifedi was to have some veterans. Despite Pratt having that INT, I still don't think he's great. And if he's out, I don't like the depth behind him. Ifedi gives someone who can compete for either starting RT or RG. If Penning beats him out at RT, he can do RG or being the first OT backup.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-21-2022, 02:04 PM)CloeHokie Wrote: Not a fan of Biscuit. Lol

I like the draft but want to see another o lineman early. I feel like we are a good oline away from domination. I'd like to get 2 guys in the first 4 picks.

Like your thoughts and insights. Good stuff!

Who is Biscuit? Trubisky? If so, why? He's fine as a backup and about as good of an option as you'll find without spending $5+ mill.

Why exactly does there need to be another OL taken early?
LT, LG, and C are set with Williams, Spain, and Hopkins. Hopkins has played well enough since the bye week to give me confidence he's worth starting still.
Between Ifedi and Penning, RT is set.
There isn't a C in the draft other than Linderbaum that I'd think would be better than Hopkins, and I doubt Linderbaum makes it to where the Bengals pick.
RG is going to be a competition between Adeniji and Carman. Toss Ifedi in the mix too if Penning wins RT.
I don't think you can or should give up on Carman after just one season where he was transitioning from college OT and dealing with an injury early in the offseason.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-21-2022, 02:05 PM)Interceptor Wrote: For backup QB I was thinking Brian Hoyer, Mike White or even Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Fitzpatrick could command more than Bengals willing to pay for a backup, as he made $10 mill this year.
Hoyer may be ok, but I don't really see him better than Trubisky.
Not sure why there is a like for Mike White. His only decent game was against the Bengals. His most recent game was against the Bills where he went 54% completion on 44 throws for only 251 yards, 0 TDs, 4 INTs.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-21-2022, 02:17 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Fitzpatrick could command more than Bengals willing to pay for a backup, as he made $10 mill this year.
Hoyer may be ok, but I don't really see him better than Trubisky.
Not sure why there is a like for Mike White. His only decent game was against the Bengals. His most recent game was against the Bills where he went 54% completion on 44 throws for only 251 yards, 0 TDs, 4 INTs.

But look at the personnel he has to work with. I'm sure once Zac and Burrow get his mindset correct, he wouldn't be as bad.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote

also, no resigning Larry O? 
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2022, 02:27 PM)Interceptor Wrote: But look at the personnel he has to work with. I'm sure once Zac and Burrow get his mindset correct, he wouldn't be as bad.

Maybe I don't know enough about him, but he's been in the league for 4 seasons and has only 4 starts, only one of which was any kind of decent.
What about him specifically do you like?
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-21-2022, 02:29 PM)kalibengal Wrote: also, no resigning Larry O? 

I'm expecting Ogunjobi will command $10+ mill APY.
Bengals can't afford to put that kind of money into Ogunjobi and Hill.
I went with the guy I think will be somewhat cheaper but also a better run defender.

If I'm re-signing both Ogunjobi and Hill though, I'm not taking a DT until Day 3 (if at all).

EDIT - I should say that the Bengals COULD afford him, but that's a ton of money to put into the DL.
Hendrickson = $14.5 mill.
Hubbard = $7.1 mill
Reader = $13.7 mill
If you add $8 mill for Hill, that puts the total at $43 mill. Add Ogunjobi for $10 mill APY and it's over $50 mill just in DL.
That's a lot for one position group.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-21-2022, 02:09 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Bengals aren't thin at edge once Ossai is back. That's my view anyway.

What do you mean there's no reason for Trubisky? Brandon Allen is a bad backup and is set to be a FA. The Bengals need a better one. Trubisky is better.

The logic behind adding Jewell and Ifedi was to have some veterans. Despite Pratt having that INT, I still don't think he's great. And if he's out, I don't like the depth behind him. Ifedi gives someone who can compete for either starting RT or RG. If Penning beats him out at RT, he can do RG or being the first OT backup.

I still think they are thin there for pure pass rushers.  We have guys that can play the run, but none that really get good pressure on the QB.  IF any of our starters goes down, our pass rush isn't very good.  Ossai should definitely help, but I'd like one more.

I'm never a fan of giving money to LBs in free agency with the model that we use.  I'd much rather see a speed/coverage guy added in the draft.  I think you can get one of those anywhere from round 2-4.  I wouldn't generally go LB in round 2, but where we are drafting, it's almost like a 3rd rounder.

I'd rather take the $6 million that you are giving for a backup and pay a starting OG $8-10 million and fill the hole.  I've never been impressed with Ifedi.  He's not much better than the guy we already have in Adenji.

As far as a backup QB goes, there's really only 2 types that I want - a guy that knows the system (essentially like a 2nd QB coach) or a developmental guy with upside.  Trubisky is neither of them.  I'd keep Allen around long before I would bring in an outside guy.  Allen actually had some decent games with the starters last year.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2022, 02:29 PM)kalibengal Wrote: also, no resigning Larry O? 

Does anyone know what specific injury he had?  That would really determine how much he would get.  He may have to play on a another 1 year deal.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2022, 02:13 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Who is Biscuit? Trubisky? If so, why? He's fine as a backup and about as good of an option as you'll find without spending $5+ mill.

Why exactly does there need to be another OL taken early?
LT, LG, and C are set with Williams, Spain, and Hopkins. Hopkins has played well enough since the bye week to give me confidence he's worth starting still.
Between Ifedi and Penning, RT is set.
There isn't a C in the draft other than Linderbaum that I'd think would be better than Hopkins, and I doubt Linderbaum makes it to where the Bengals pick.
RG is going to be a competition between Adeniji and Carman. Toss Ifedi in the mix too if Penning wins RT.
I don't think you can or should give up on Carman after just one season where he was transitioning from college OT and dealing with an injury early in the offseason.

Carman may end up being the next RT.  There was a lot of discussion after the draft that he would eventually move outside.  If that's the case, I definitely would look at adding another interior lineman.  The bottom line is that it's hard to predict as we really don't know long term where Pollack sees these guys playing.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2022, 02:43 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I still think they are thin there for pure pass rushers.  We have guys that can play the run, but none that really get good pressure on the QB.  IF any of our starters goes down, our pass rush isn't very good.  Ossai should definitely help, but I'd like one more.

I'm never a fan of giving money to LBs in free agency with the model that we use.  I'd much rather see a speed/coverage guy added in the draft.  I think you can get one of those anywhere from round 2-4.  I wouldn't generally go LB in round 2, but where we are drafting, it's almost like a 3rd rounder.

I'd rather take the $6 million that you are giving for a backup and pay a starting OG $8-10 million and fill the hole.  I've never been impressed with Ifedi.  He's not much better than the guy we already have in Adenji.

As far as a backup QB goes, there's really only 2 types that I want - a guy that knows the system (essentially like a 2nd QB coach) or a developmental guy with upside.  Trubisky is neither of them.  I'd keep Allen around long before I would bring in an outside guy.  Allen actually had some decent games with the starters last year.

There are only so many draft picks and more depth spots than draft picks.
If you're looking to take an edge and LB in the mid-rounds, who you swappin out and how are you addressing those other positions in FA?
I'm not opposed to the idea, I just think it's not as simple as you might think.

I liked Ifedi because of his versatility between RT and RG.
Getting a pure OG starter doesn't improve the depth at OT.

As for Ifedi being basically Adeniji, I disagree, I think he's better. PFF seems to agree with me.
2020 Ifedi - 63.7 pass block, 62.8 run block.
2021 Ifedi - 70.7 pass block, 58.6 run block.

2020 Adeniji - 53.6 pass block, 53.3 run block.
2021 Adeniji - 48.9 pass block, 47.7 run block.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-21-2022, 02:47 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Carman may end up being the next RT.  There was a lot of discussion after the draft that he would eventually move outside.  If that's the case, I definitely would look at adding another interior lineman.  The bottom line is that it's hard to predict as we really don't know long term where Pollack sees these guys playing.

I feel that if Carman were planned to be the next RT, he would be getting those opportunities over Isaiah Prince and Fred Johnson.
I think the Bengals see Carman as the long-term RG, he's just less consistent than Adeniji right now, which is why he's backup instead of starting.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-21-2022, 02:29 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Maybe I don't know enough about him, but he's been in the league for 4 seasons and has only 4 starts, only one of which was any kind of decent.
What about him specifically do you like?

He looks like a good game manager if given the right personnel. Believe you me, we got the right personnel. Plus, he won't cost much.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(01-21-2022, 03:01 PM)Interceptor Wrote: He looks like a good game manager if given the right personnel. Believe you me, we got the right personnel. Plus, he won't cost much.

You don't think Trubisky is a good game manager?
From his time in CHI, he went 29-21 with 64% completion. He averaged 208 YPG with 64 TDs to 37 INTs.
That sounds pretty game-manager to me.

He's apparently been considered good enough to be Josh Allen's backup this year, so why not Burrow's next?
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-21-2022, 02:44 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Does anyone know what specific injury he had?  That would really determine how much he would get.  He may have to play on a another 1 year deal.

Foot injury that will require surgery.
It could affect what he lands in FA, but since I haven't seen a timeline, I haven't factored in that he might come cheaper, as I'm not sure if it will go into Training Camp or beyond. I'm assuming that since it's "just" a foot injury that it will only need a few months to heal.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-21-2022, 12:41 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I put in two 4th round comps - one for Carl Lawson (expected) and one for John Ross (rumored to still happen even though he didn't play 25+% of Giants offensive snaps).

2022 NFL FA and Draft:
Estimated cap - $63 mill
Release Trae Waynes +$11 mill = $74 mill

Franchise Tag - Jessie Bates - $13 mill

Re-sign:
Quinton Spain
- $10 mill APY - Need to keep the best OG the team has.

CJ Uzomah - $6 mill APY - Uzomah did well enough given the opportunities. He's also a leader of the team, and they will want to keep him.

BJ Hill - $8 mill APY - I expect Hill will be cheaper to retain than Ogunjobi, and Hill was actually the better run defender. Hill can be the starter next to Reader.

Eli Apple - $5 mill APY - Apple has really come along this season. Bengals should be able to cut Waynes, re-sign Apple, and still have some money left over. Apple can be the starter opposite Awuzie.

Mike Thomas - $1 mill - Taylor seems to like Thomas. He has familiarity with the playbook and plays ST, so there's value there.
--------------------------------------------
$31 mill remaining

FA:
Josey Jewell, LB DEN
- 2 years, $10 mill ($5 mill APY) - Jewell is a well-rounded LB who I liked coming out of Iowa back in 2018. He's solid at about everything, but not great at any one thing. 2020 was his best year, putting up 113 tackles, 4 PDs, and 2 sacks. Jewell takes Evans' spot on the roster but is used as the 3rd LB, ahead of ADG and Bailey. Jewell takes over Pratt's starting role in 2023 if Pratt departs in FA.

Germain Ifedi, OT/OG CHI - 2 years, $12 mill ($6 mill APY) - A guy who has bounced between starting RT and RG in his 6 seasons. He's been ok as a starter. I think he could be a valuable addition as a versatile veteran who probably won't get a lot of attention in FA. I see him competing for a starting spot but a valuable veteran backup at minimum. He slots in as the new starting RT going into the draft.

Josh Reynolds, WR DET - 2 years, $4 mill ($2 mill APY) - Reynolds is a perfect WR3/4 in an offense, and he has familiarity with Taylor from their time with the Rams. Bring in Reynolds to be the new WR4 to replace Tate.

Mitchell Trubisky, QB BUF - 2 years, $6 mill ($3 mill APY) - Burrow's new backup. Upgrade over Allen, IMO.

Casey Hayward, CB LVR
- 1 year, $4 mill - Depth veteran CB. Was solid for the Raiders, but he's older. Only signed with LVR for 1 year, $2.5 mill, so $4 mill should be enough to acquire him. If Hayward goes higher, get a different quality vet for this price or lower. There should be plenty of options.
------------------------------------
$11 mill remaining - Enough to cover the draft and have a bit left over.

Draft:
1) Trevor Penning, OT UNI (6'7", 321 lb)
- I'm always nervous about FCS players transitioning well to the NFL, but from what I've read and seen, I think Penning can succeed. He has ideal size and length, plus he's dominated nearly everyone he's gone up against. He's freakishly strong and also athletic enough that he should be fine in the Bengals' scheme. Penning comes in to compete with Ifedi as the starting RT.

2) Phidarian Mathis, DT Alabama (6'4', 312 lb) - Versatile DL who has ideal size to play DT in the NFL. He's well-rounded, so he can not only rush the passer but also defend the run. His combination of length and strength should allow him to keep the opponent off him and drive him back into the pocket.

3) Coby Bryant, CB UC (6'2", 185 lb) - I think that the Bengals will try to retain Apple and probably sign another veteran CB after letting Waynes go. With that said, they could use a young guy to build quality depth and groom into a future starter. I like Bryant's fit in Anarumo's scheme. His skill set and size translate very well outside too.

4) Jake Ferguson, TE Wisconsin (6'5", 244 lb) - Well-rounded TE who can block but also underrated as a pass catcher. Across 4 seasons in Wisconsin's run-heavy scheme, Ferguson put up 1618 yards and 13 TDs on 145 receptions (11.2 YPR). I see him similar to someone like Dalton Schultz and an improvement in the passing game over Sample.

4comp1) Calvin Austin III, WR/PR Memphis (5'9", 162 lb) - This dude is small, but he's electric. Memphis used him all kinds of ways, and he delivered. He especially thrives with YAC. Austin is also a good PR, which the Bengals need. I see Austin as the 5th WR activated on gamedays, serving as the team's PR and coming into the offense occasionally for gadget plays and in the slot.

4comp2) Sterling Weatherford, SS Miami University (6'4", 215 lb) - Weatherford is a bigger Safety who can cover TEs due to his size and length. He could play some nickel LB if the Bengals wished to use him for that. Weatherford also could be a stud on ST, which is valuable when picking guys on Day 3.

5) Ty Chandler, RB/KR UNC (5'11", 210 lb) - Productive RB in both the SEC (Tennessee) and ACC (UNC). Played more in a RBBC with the Vols, but he got lead back duties at UNC. He had a handful of receptions each season (10-19 each season). He looks to have solid speed, which would help add some explosion to the Bengals offense. It also helps that he has plenty of KR experience - 38 KRs for 850 yards (22.4 YPR) and 1 TD.

6) Chase Lucas, CB Arizona St (6'0", 185 lb) - Lucas is a guy I liked last draft season but he decided to return to college. He still is projected to be a Rd 5-7 pick, so I'll put him where I had him last year - 6th round. I like Lucas as a depth guy initially that could eventually develop into a starter potentially.

7) Nick Ford, OL Utah (6'5", 315 lb) - Extremely versatile OL who has played every single position in college. Ford was voted All-Pac-12 twice. I've seen multiple draft sites say his best position in the NFL will probably be center. He's projected so low because he's been moved around so much in college that he hasn't had the time to develop at one position. I think he's a perfect candidate to take a gamble on late and see if he can turn into something if put at one position. Ford would make the perfect PS candidate if not making the last OL spot on the 53-person roster.
Tiger
Ok the late CB & S...I get it..lol
Great mock ! Some just aren't known to most just yet but will be as the process moves forward.
There will be a team to fix Nick Ford and I hope its the Bengals mid to later in the draft. I didn't know much about him and seen him in one of bfine earlier posts.(Monster) I have Coby in one of my mocks going 3 but "if" he runs well....1,2 Just saying.. The senior bowl will answer a few questions about Trevor but he could most certainly be our RT. I'll tell you this now about the small school CB coming to the senior bowl... Lookout! 

Note: I have to say that Isaiah Prince is on a magic carpet ride currently. Its coming to a time now that Joe can get you gone and they know that. I had to come back and tell you absolutely NOT to Mich EVER. YES TO ZAPPE
Reply/Quote