Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Divisional Round Mock
(01-27-2022, 11:50 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I get that, but it's the Bengals.
They were willing to tag over-the-hill AJ Green for $18.1 mill.

Personally, I'd rather use that $13 mill on a dominant OL or two B-tier guys and then just draft a new FS, but I tried to think like the Bengals might.

I don't think the Bengals have thought like this for the last two years.  I get the AJ thing.  They needed him with a rookie QB.  We rolled the dice and lost.

IF we are thinking like they do now, they would sign younger Tier 2 guys (like Hendrickson and Awuzie).

James Daniels is a guy that fits that mold.  He could also play C.  He would be a good target.  I just don't see them spending money on "depth" players.
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2022, 08:00 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I don't think the Bengals have thought like this for the last two years.  I get the AJ thing.  They needed him with a rookie QB.  We rolled the dice and lost.

IF we are thinking like they do now, they would sign younger Tier 2 guys (like Hendrickson and Awuzie).

James Daniels is a guy that fits that mold.  He could also play C.  He would be a good target.  I just don't see them spending money on "depth" players.

Bengals have been willing to invest in good FAs for defense only the past two years. The offense has been stopgap B-tier-or-worse guys.
I'd love to have James Daniels (in fact is in my next mock I'm writing up), but I can see the Bengals looking to instead just do the following:
- Re-sign Spain to cover LG
- Keep Hopkins at C
- Have RG be a competition between Adeniji and Carman
- Sign a stopgap vet RT like Ifedi or Reiff and then draft a guy to groom behind him

I realize that's not what fans would like, but I think it's a potentially realistic scenario if the Bengals are confident in Adeniji/Carman and feel Spain is "good enough."
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2022, 03:44 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Bengals have been willing to invest in good FAs for defense only the past two years. The offense has been stopgap B-tier-or-worse guys.
I'd love to have James Daniels (in fact is in my next mock I'm writing up), but I can see the Bengals looking to instead just do the following:
- Re-sign Spain to cover LG
- Keep Hopkins at C
- Have RG be a competition between Adeniji and Carman
- Sign a stopgap vet RT like Ifedi or Reiff and then draft a guy to groom behind him

I realize that's not what fans would like, but I think it's a potentially realistic scenario if the Bengals are confident in Adeniji/Carman and feel Spain is "good enough."

I actually can't see a scenario where they do that.  Getting this far and still having a poor interior line will get them to address it in the offseason.

There's no way the go into the season with Adenji/Carman/Hopkins as the only interior guys competing for jobs.  I just can't see that happening after the last 2 weeks.

We really don't have any MAJOR needs outside of the line.  We are solid everywhere else.
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2022, 05:04 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I actually can't see a scenario where they do that.  Getting this far and still having a poor interior line will get them to address it in the offseason.

There's no way the go into the season with Adenji/Carman/Hopkins as the only interior guys competing for jobs.  I just can't see that happening after the last 2 weeks.

We really don't have any MAJOR needs outside of the line.  We are solid everywhere else.

Hopkins has been just fine as a pass blocker in the postseason, actually.
It's been RG that's been continually abysmal.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-21-2022, 12:41 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I put in two 4th round comps - one for Carl Lawson (expected) and one for John Ross (rumored to still happen even though he didn't play 25+% of Giants offensive snaps).

2022 NFL FA and Draft:
Estimated cap - $63 mill
Release Trae Waynes +$11 mill = $74 mill

Franchise Tag - Jessie Bates - $13 mill

Re-sign:
Quinton Spain
- $10 mill APY - Need to keep the best OG the team has.

CJ Uzomah - $6 mill APY - Uzomah did well enough given the opportunities. He's also a leader of the team, and they will want to keep him.

BJ Hill - $8 mill APY - I expect Hill will be cheaper to retain than Ogunjobi, and Hill was actually the better run defender. Hill can be the starter next to Reader.

Eli Apple - $5 mill APY - Apple has really come along this season. Bengals should be able to cut Waynes, re-sign Apple, and still have some money left over. Apple can be the starter opposite Awuzie.

Mike Thomas - $1 mill - Taylor seems to like Thomas. He has familiarity with the playbook and plays ST, so there's value there.
--------------------------------------------
$31 mill remaining

FA:
Josey Jewell, LB DEN
- 2 years, $10 mill ($5 mill APY) - Jewell is a well-rounded LB who I liked coming out of Iowa back in 2018. He's solid at about everything, but not great at any one thing. 2020 was his best year, putting up 113 tackles, 4 PDs, and 2 sacks. Jewell takes Evans' spot on the roster but is used as the 3rd LB, ahead of ADG and Bailey. Jewell takes over Pratt's starting role in 2023 if Pratt departs in FA.

Germain Ifedi, OT/OG CHI - 2 years, $12 mill ($6 mill APY) - A guy who has bounced between starting RT and RG in his 6 seasons. He's been ok as a starter. I think he could be a valuable addition as a versatile veteran who probably won't get a lot of attention in FA. I see him competing for a starting spot but a valuable veteran backup at minimum. He slots in as the new starting RT going into the draft.

Josh Reynolds, WR DET - 2 years, $4 mill ($2 mill APY) - Reynolds is a perfect WR3/4 in an offense, and he has familiarity with Taylor from their time with the Rams. Bring in Reynolds to be the new WR4 to replace Tate.

Mitchell Trubisky, QB BUF - 2 years, $6 mill ($3 mill APY) - Burrow's new backup. Upgrade over Allen, IMO.

Casey Hayward, CB LVR
- 1 year, $4 mill - Depth veteran CB. Was solid for the Raiders, but he's older. Only signed with LVR for 1 year, $2.5 mill, so $4 mill should be enough to acquire him. If Hayward goes higher, get a different quality vet for this price or lower. There should be plenty of options.
------------------------------------
$11 mill remaining - Enough to cover the draft and have a bit left over.

Draft:
1) Trevor Penning, OT UNI (6'7", 321 lb)
- I'm always nervous about FCS players transitioning well to the NFL, but from what I've read and seen, I think Penning can succeed. He has ideal size and length, plus he's dominated nearly everyone he's gone up against. He's freakishly strong and also athletic enough that he should be fine in the Bengals' scheme. Penning comes in to compete with Ifedi as the starting RT.

2) Phidarian Mathis, DT Alabama (6'4', 312 lb) - Versatile DL who has ideal size to play DT in the NFL. He's well-rounded, so he can not only rush the passer but also defend the run. His combination of length and strength should allow him to keep the opponent off him and drive him back into the pocket.

3) Coby Bryant, CB UC (6'2", 185 lb) - I think that the Bengals will try to retain Apple and probably sign another veteran CB after letting Waynes go. With that said, they could use a young guy to build quality depth and groom into a future starter. I like Bryant's fit in Anarumo's scheme. His skill set and size translate very well outside too.

4) Jake Ferguson, TE Wisconsin (6'5", 244 lb) - Well-rounded TE who can block but also underrated as a pass catcher. Across 4 seasons in Wisconsin's run-heavy scheme, Ferguson put up 1618 yards and 13 TDs on 145 receptions (11.2 YPR). I see him similar to someone like Dalton Schultz and an improvement in the passing game over Sample.

4comp1) Calvin Austin III, WR/PR Memphis (5'9", 162 lb) - This dude is small, but he's electric. Memphis used him all kinds of ways, and he delivered. He especially thrives with YAC. Austin is also a good PR, which the Bengals need. I see Austin as the 5th WR activated on gamedays, serving as the team's PR and coming into the offense occasionally for gadget plays and in the slot.

4comp2) Sterling Weatherford, SS Miami University (6'4", 215 lb) - Weatherford is a bigger Safety who can cover TEs due to his size and length. He could play some nickel LB if the Bengals wished to use him for that. Weatherford also could be a stud on ST, which is valuable when picking guys on Day 3.

5) Ty Chandler, RB/KR UNC (5'11", 210 lb) - Productive RB in both the SEC (Tennessee) and ACC (UNC). Played more in a RBBC with the Vols, but he got lead back duties at UNC. He had a handful of receptions each season (10-19 each season). He looks to have solid speed, which would help add some explosion to the Bengals offense. It also helps that he has plenty of KR experience - 38 KRs for 850 yards (22.4 YPR) and 1 TD.

6) Chase Lucas, CB Arizona St (6'0", 185 lb) - Lucas is a guy I liked last draft season but he decided to return to college. He still is projected to be a Rd 5-7 pick, so I'll put him where I had him last year - 6th round. I like Lucas as a depth guy initially that could eventually develop into a starter potentially.

7) Nick Ford, OL Utah (6'5", 315 lb) - Extremely versatile OL who has played every single position in college. Ford was voted All-Pac-12 twice. I've seen multiple draft sites say his best position in the NFL will probably be center. He's projected so low because he's been moved around so much in college that he hasn't had the time to develop at one position. I think he's a perfect candidate to take a gamble on late and see if he can turn into something if put at one position. Ford would make the perfect PS candidate if not making the last OL spot on the 53-person roster.

Would be really happy with this, cannot really find any flaws I just wish we would get at least a couple top tier OL in FA.

Add James Daniels in FA and I would love this. I doubt Penning could start year 1 anyways.

The Draft is fantastic besides Penning, would like a starter in the 1st, love the Mathis, Bryant, Ferguson, Ford picks. 

Well done Ocho.
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2022, 07:03 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Would be really happy with this, cannot really find any flaws I just wish we would get at least a couple top tier OL in FA.

Add James Daniels in FA and I would love this. I doubt Penning could start year 1 anyways.

The Draft is fantastic besides Penning, would like a starter in the 1st, love the Mathis, Bryant, Ferguson, Ford picks. 

Well done Ocho.

I think Penning can potentially start immediately, but Ifedi is the safety net just in case.
I actually have a different mock I've been writing up that is different, but I'm sure some people won't like that either.
The unfortunate thing is I think there are too many positions that need re-signed/upgraded and just won't be enough cap to fill every single one in FA.

FS
LG
RG
RT
DT
CB2
TE

That's a lot to try to fill with re-signings or upgrades only in FA with just ~$50 mill (or $60 mill if Waynes is let go) and leaving enough $$ for the draft picks and a bit for injury reserve.
The big problem is that any player that anyone will have confidence in being a good replacement/upgrade will very likely be $6+ mill at every one of those positions.
So what I'm trying to do is address most of those in FA and then use the first couple rounds of the draft to fill the rest. Then the remainder of the draft is all about improving depth.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote