Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do Movies Make Less Money Now?
The number of people seeing movies in theaters is probably the same, but, with stores like Blockbuster closing and being able to access movies on the internet and more commonly own TV with everything going through digital cable or the internet (that might be the same thing?), are movies making less money once they get outside theaters? It seems like they'd have to be, but how much less? Is it hurting the bottom line of production studies, actors, etc.?
Reply/Quote
I wouldn't think very much.

New technology has made a lot of after theater stuff cheaper.and there's more people with more access (I can remember being a kid and everyone wanted to come to my house because we were one of the few with a vcr).  

There's pirates sure but there's always pirates. Hell in middle school I used to make some decent money with a two vcr set up. I think the majority of people pay for stuff though because it's the right thing to do and it's a lot less hassle. Like the fire stick. Sure, you can watch new movies for free, but you can also spend 20 minutes to learn a movie is in chinese

I think the biggest thing is competition. Used to there were a handful of studios and a couple distributors. Now there are thousands. There are 4-5 production companies making Indi films in my little town. That spreads out materials, resources And money. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I have often felt the movie theater itself is an antiquated relic that really has no place in the world anymore. The production companies should bypass them and create their own direct to Pay Per View models. They can charge 20$ for new releases to make up for the idea multiple people will be at a house watching, but as a consumer not having to leave my home and having food and drinks there more than make up for it. You could even start a streaming service similar to Netflix where you can watch all the new movies at home each month for 50$ or something along those lines.

When we have all the technology in the world to watch these movies at home, having to drive to a location and sit around loud and obnoxious people to see a movie just does not make sense anymore.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 10:04 AM)Au165 Wrote: I have often felt the movie theater itself is an antiquated relic that really has no place in the world anymore. The production companies should bypass them and create their own direct to Pay Per View models. They can charge 20$ for new releases to make up for the idea multiple people will be at  a house watching, but as a consumer not having to leave my home and having food and drinks there more than make up for it. You could even start a streaming service similar to Netflix where you can watch all the new movies at home each month for 50$ or something along those lines.

When we have all the technology in the world to watch these movies at home, having to drive to a location and sit around loud and obnoxious people to see a movie just does not make sense anymore.

Certain movies have a much greater impact on the big screen.  That is the biggest part of the theater experience.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 10:04 AM)Au165 Wrote: I have often felt the movie theater itself is an antiquated relic that really has no place in the world anymore. The production companies should bypass them and create their own direct to Pay Per View models. They can charge 20$ for new releases to make up for the idea multiple people will be at  a house watching, but as a consumer not having to leave my home and having food and drinks there more than make up for it. You could even start a streaming service similar to Netflix where you can watch all the new movies at home each month for 50$ or something along those lines.

I actually really enjoy going to movies. Sometimes its OK to leave the house. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 03:44 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I actually really enjoy going to movies. Sometimes its OK to leave the house. 

It’s inefficient. I leave the house for a ton of things, but there is no need to for a movie. It’s not a social experience in any real way other than mainly negative ones in terms of those who talk or like to laugh obnoxiously. The only reason we do it is because it’s the way we have always done it.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 10:11 PM)Au165 Wrote: The only reason we do it is because it’s the way we have always done it.

Uh, No.

Screen size and sound system.

Duh.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 11:04 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Uh, No.

Screen size and sound system.

Duh.

My sound system (and many people's anymore) is as good as a movie theaters, and my 70 inch TV at 10 feet centered is better than a theater screen at 25 off center lol. Plus, I don't get bent over for food and drink and no annoying people. It's exclusive content that keeps the theaters alive, not the screens and sound. If people had equal choice they will choose to stay in, like we are seeing in many other industries. Heck look at the live sporting experience attendance is down because costs to attend are up, the crowds you sit around are not enjoyable, and frankly the at home experience is better. The same will happen to Movies once the "blackout" is lifted.
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2018, 08:18 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: The number of people seeing movies in theaters is probably the same, but, with stores like Blockbuster closing and being able to access movies on the internet and more commonly own TV with everything going through digital cable or the internet (that might be the same thing?), are movies making less money once they get outside theaters?  It seems like they'd have to be, but how much less?  Is it hurting the bottom line of production studies, actors, etc.?

think they would be getting more sales now as you can buy anyway you want... Disk or digital  or both as disk usually comes with digital codes
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 10:11 PM)Au165 Wrote: It’s inefficient. I leave the house for a ton of things, but there is no need to for a movie. It’s not a social experience in any real way other than mainly negative ones in terms of those who talk or like to laugh obnoxiously. The only reason we do it is because it’s the way we have always done it.

So you have a 5,000 sq ft screen in your home with a multi thousand dollar state of the art sound system? Man, I need to come over your house sometime. 
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2018, 09:31 AM)Au165 Wrote:  my 70 inch TV at 10 feet centered is better than a theater screen at 25 off center lol.

And all you have to do is have everyone sit in the same chair so they can all be centered.
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2018, 09:31 AM)Au165 Wrote: My sound system (and many people's anymore) is as good as a movie theaters, and my 70 inch TV at 10 feet centered is better than a theater screen at 25 off center lol. Plus, I don't get bent over for food and drink and no annoying people. It's exclusive content that keeps the theaters alive, not the screens and sound. If people had equal choice they will choose to stay in, like we are seeing in many other industries. Heck look at the live sporting experience attendance is down because costs to attend are up, the crowds you sit around are not enjoyable, and frankly the at home experience is better. The same will happen to Movies once the "blackout" is lifted.
Meh, I disagree. 

They re-release movies all the time and they continually sell out. They released the original Star Wars a couple years ago in theaters across the country and it did VERY well. 

People like going to the theater for the experience. It's fun and an event. 
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2018, 05:34 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Meh, I disagree. 

They re-release movies all the time and they continually sell out. They released the original Star Wars a couple years ago in theaters across the country and it did VERY well. 

People like going to the theater for the experience. It's fun and an event. 

Right, that is a nostalgia thing. I think that is similar to the occasional trip to a drive in theater. It's cool but it's not really all that sustainable. There is a reason most the drive in movie theaters in the country went out of business. Eventually the in theater experience outweighed the drive in one, similar to what will happen with home viewing experience.

You are welcome to disagree, but it's pretty obvious it's is coming. The real question will be how does it do? All production companies won't go to it at once so it'll almost be as much about who makes the move first to prove it out more than anything. Netflix for instance tried to buy distribution rights to Crazy Rich Asians. Looking at Disney attempting to setup it's own streaming service, why wouldn't they launch it with sole distribution of a Marvel movie?
Reply/Quote
There will always be a certain amount of people who love going to theaters even if price of admission is higher. The better the quality of the theater itself has a bearing on it plus the location and the other venues close by factor in especially in bigger cities. Like it or not the US Isn't the only country that people love watching movies.  Whether they make as much money as years bygone is irrelevant. Movies still turn a ton of profits for the studios and they are usually released worldwide instead of just in the country of origin. When venues such as Netflix and others release movies people pay for the privilege to watch through licensing fees...your subscription whether it's $7.99 or whatever. You can typically only watch one movie at a time anyway and there's also closed captioning and some are released in several languages and options to change languages. 
I watch a lot of movies with subtitles from all around the world and a lot of old movies from other countries. I just finished watching the rerelease of Diobolique from France made before Psycho, etc., in 1955. Great film by the way. Véra Clouzot was really hot in it. Too bad she was only in 3 movies. 
At any rate I could care less how much money a film makes for the people making it. Some of the great films of all time were box office flops and never turned a profit. 
Try a subscription to Filmstruck through various streaming services . Lots of great old classics from around the world. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(11-14-2018, 05:46 PM)Au165 Wrote: You are welcome to disagree, but it's pretty obvious it's is coming. 

You are welcome to say that, but you are wrong.  Too many people like the theatre experience.

You act like NFL stadiums are empty, but the fact is regular season attendance went UP about a half a million from 2015 (17.26 mil) to 2016 (17.79 mil), and more people attended regular season games last year than any season from 2009 to 2012.

I am glad you are happy with your TV, but a screen 60 inches wide is nothing like a screen 60 feet wide.
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2018, 06:42 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You are welcome to say that, but you are wrong.  Too many people like the theatre experience.

You act like NFL stadiums are empty, but the fact is regular season attendance went UP about a half a million from 2015 (17.26 mil) to 2016 (17.79 mil), and more people attended regular season games last year than any season from 2009 to 2012.

I am glad you are happy with your TV, but a screen 60 inches wide is nothing like a screen 60 feet wide.

Lots of people used to like malls too.
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2018, 08:18 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: The number of people seeing movies in theaters is probably the same, but, with stores like Blockbuster closing and being able to access movies on the internet and more commonly own TV with everything going through digital cable or the internet (that might be the same thing?), are movies making less money once they get outside theaters?  It seems like they'd have to be, but how much less?  Is it hurting the bottom line of production studies, actors, etc.?

Does this mean "The Brad Fritz Story" is about to start shooting?

Hope Taylor Lautner got the part. 
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2018, 06:49 PM)Au165 Wrote: Lots of people used to like malls too.

That has nothing to do with movies.

There are going to be more movie theater ticket sold in North America in 2018 than any year since 2012.
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2018, 07:03 PM)fredtoast Wrote: That has nothing to do with movies.

There are going to be more movie theater ticket sold in North America in 2018 than any year since 2012.

Tickets sold have nothing to do with a better experience. The only place you can watch a new release is in a theater. Come back to me with the numbers when AAA titles start by passing theaters and are available in a pay per view model. It’s waiting for the first show to drop, once it happens it’ll go hard and fast.
Reply/Quote
Theaters are in nearly every city on the face of the earth if not every city with a population of 100,000 or better. Personally I'm not a theater goer, but many people are..I don't see the numbers dropping any time soon and don't discount young people who go out on dates. As long as there are young people who want to get laid there will probably always be theaters. Some of the best sex I ever had began with a theater visit.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote