Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do Rock Gods exist in today’s music?
(02-02-2018, 07:15 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Great list brother!

I will say that whenever I hear names like Mercury, Gilmour and Plant...the names Glenn Hughes and Bruce Dickinson always come to mind as well. IMO, they are two of the most underrated rock vocalists of all-time. 

Nice list.

Not many will agree but for me would have to include my boy Levon Helm.

See a lot of Flea fans and I am one as well.

Here is something you may not know but the Chili Peppers considered Louisville their home away from home per having a huge following here in town 

They kicked off every tour for years in Louisville as a thank you.

Anyway saw them live before they were famous at a small bar called in the Highlands called Tewligans. Think the spelling is right.
But had to go through a trap door in the floor, climb down a ladder to get to where they played. 

Killer show. 

Seen Bon Scott live before he died too. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Actually have seen most bands considered God's on here live from back in the day.

Have seen some epic concerts starting in 1975 with Dr Hook and the Medicine Show with the Runaways warming up on a floating stage in Nashville.

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2018, 11:42 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Seen Bon Scott live before he died too. 

Makes me jealous.  I never got a chance to see them while Bon was still with us.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2018, 11:42 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Nice list.

Not many will agree but for me would have to include my boy Levon Helm.

See a lot of Flea fans and I am one as well.

Here is something you may not know but the Chili Peppers considered Louisville their home away from home per having a huge following here in town 

They kicked off every tour for years in Louisville as a thank you.

Anyway saw them live before they were famous at a small bar called in the Highlands called Tewligans. Think the spelling is right.
But had to go through a trap door in the floor, climb down a ladder to get to where they played. 

Killer show. 

Seen Bon Scott live before he died too. 

Loved Levon Helm and The Band.  They still frequent my playlist regularly.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2018, 09:28 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Are you a fan of Cry of Love?

Their career was short but they put out some real good music.

Audley Freed was the guitar player for the band.  He later joined the Black Crowes for a while.

If you don't know them, they put out two albums, and each had different singers.

Thought they jammed, but not a fan of the singers voice.
Going to go back and listen since I see you said they had two different singers. 
Probably why I am not a huge Warrant fan either. 

But thanks for the turn on to them. 

Am really looking forward to seeing Freed and Marcus King play together though.

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
so after reading thru this the answer is NO Not yet.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2018, 12:02 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Makes me jealous.  I never got a chance to see them while Bon was still with us.

They were warming up for KISS. Yet me and my friends were not KISS fans at time.   

But were huge AC/DC fans already and wore out the "Let there be Rock" album.  

It was cool, Angus Young climbed on Bon Scott's shoulders and went completely around the arena, bobbing his head while slaying the guitar on one song. 

You do not get that close to stars these days. 

They stole the show as far as music went . But to KISS' credit their show was worth the watch more than we expected. 

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2018, 01:31 PM)Go Cards Wrote: They were warming up for KISS. Yet me and my friends were not KISS fans at time.   

But were huge AC/DC fans already and wore out the "Let there be Rock" album.  

It was cool, Angus Young climbed on Bon Scott's shoulders and went completely around the arena, bobbing his head while slaying the guitar on one song. 

You do not get that close to stars these days. 

They stole the show as far as music went . But to KISS' credit their show was worth the watch more than we expected. 

That's how I got to see Alice in Chains.  We went to see KISS on the Reunion Tour in '96, because we wanted to see that awesome pyro show they did in '76 in person.  Stone Temple Pilots were supposed to open, but Weiland OD'd again, so the opening act was never announced.  We had no idea until the lights went up and A.I.C. came out banging.  Musically, they destroyed KISS, but that stage show by KISS was something else.

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2018, 03:50 PM)Wyche Wrote: That's how I got to see Alice in Chains.  We went to see KISS on the Reunion Tour in '96, because we wanted to see that awesome pyro show they did in '76 in person.  Stone Temple Pilots were supposed to open, but Weiland OD'd again, so the opening act was never announced.  We had no idea until the lights went up and A.I.C. came out banging.  Musically, they destroyed KISS, but that stage show by KISS was something else.

What a pleasant surprise that must've been.   ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2018, 03:50 PM)Wyche Wrote: That's how I got to see Alice in Chains.  We went to see KISS on the Reunion Tour in '96, because we wanted to see that awesome pyro show they did in '76 in person.  Stone Temple Pilots were supposed to open, but Weiland OD'd again, so the opening act was never announced.  We had no idea until the lights went up and A.I.C. came out banging.  Musically, they destroyed KISS, but that stage show by KISS was something else.

Believe it was 1977 in freedom hall when we went. 

Probably same tour as 76 though. 

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2018, 12:33 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: so after reading thru this the answer is NO  Not yet.

Pretty much.

Not very plausible when the world snuffs rock bands(mostly USA)and large labels don't seem to have interest.

Rap has replaced the rebel mentality that made rock music famous.

In order to find decent rock music now... you have to really search for it. 

Non-AOR media doesn't allow musicians to construct music with dynamics and make epic pieces.

So many reasons for no Rock Gods.

Hell, I'll even throw the internet with YouTube that has so many savant musicians that water down the "wow factor" of hearing something new.

That personal excessiveness leads us back to guys like Van Halen & Page who knew how to write songs as well as play like monsters.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2018, 07:15 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Great list brother!

I will say that whenever I hear names like Mercury, Gilmour and Plant...the names Glenn Hughes and Bruce Dickinson always come to mind as well. IMO, they are two of the most underrated rock vocalists of all-time. 

Dickenson along with Rob Halford often get overlooked, as they are not from American bands.  If you ever need any convincing on Halford, just listen to "You got another thing coming", on your earbuds.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2018, 11:32 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Dickenson along with Rob Halford often get overlooked, as they are not from American bands.  If you ever need any convincing on Halford, just listen to "You got another thing coming", on your earbuds.

Neither get overlooked on my part.  Both are rock (metal) gods in my book.  Dickinson on "Run To The Hills" is amazing.  And "You Got Another Thing Comin" is one of my all time fav songs.
Reply/Quote
[Image: Led-Zeppelin-remasters-770.jpg]

My very first concert, Cincinnati Coliseum, 1977...... Rock Gods! All the rest are mere mortals.......
(Later in life I met Jimmy Page and Robert Plant in Lexington. Jimmy was a little aloof (but quite high), Robert Plant was an extremely nice, pleasant gentleman, and we had a very nice conversation about regular things)
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2018, 10:13 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Believe it was 1977 in freedom hall when we went. 

Probably same tour as 76 though. 

'96 Freedom Hall here.....

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2018, 11:58 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Neither get overlooked on my part.  Both are rock (metal) gods in my book.  Dickinson on "Run To The Hills" is amazing.  And "You Got Another Thing Comin" is one of my all time fav songs.

Yeah, me either......it's just that there's a limited number of songs by those bands I really dig, especially Iron Maiden.  Judas Priest has a few that I like.  No doubting their vocal range though.

One that very few probably know about is the band Zephyr with Tommy Bolin on guitar and a chick that rivals anything Janis ever did named Candy Givens.

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2018, 03:50 PM)Wyche Wrote: That's how I got to see Alice in Chains.  We went to see KISS on the Reunion Tour in '96, because we wanted to see that awesome pyro show they did in '76 in person.

I also saw Alice in Chains as an opening act but in that case they were being booed the whole time they were on stage.  Most there would have agreed with my view - They are a decent band but just didn't belong on the bill with Anthrax, Megadeth and Slayer especially with everyone chanting the last one through the most of the show.  I give props to the singer for mocking the chanting.  Over the mic he started to chant with the audience "Slayer, Slayer, Slayer" then morphed to "Nelson, Slaughter".  Showed a bit of humor there but that's when the boos really got going.

Can also relate to the Kiss reunion tour.  Seeing them with the pyro show and the make-up was better then the other time I saw them, even if I actually always thought the make-up was flaky through most of my life.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2018, 12:33 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: so after reading thru this the answer is NO  Not yet.

Others have given the whys but this is pretty much it.

I doubt DA intended this to turn into a thread on "who do you think is really good" and ignore the true implications of the word "god" but that is the predictable result of a topic like this.

Sales and name penetration to the point almost everyone knows the name regardless of their own taste along with how well they inspire others either at the time of future generations are key factors.  Many in this thread are naming musicians most people have never even heard of.

Other than the aging "gods", no, rock gods do not exist anymore.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2018, 10:08 AM)Wyche Wrote: '96 Freedom Hall here.....

Yes

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2018, 09:44 AM)Sled21 Wrote: [Image: Led-Zeppelin-remasters-770.jpg]

My very first concert, Cincinnati Coliseum, 1977...... Rock Gods! All the rest are mere mortals.......
(Later in life I met Jimmy Page and Robert Plant in Lexington. Jimmy was a little aloof (but quite high), Robert Plant was an extremely nice, pleasant gentleman, and we had a very nice conversation about regular things)

Stood in line to buy tickets to louisville show along with the rest of a 3 state area it seemed. Sold out before I even got close.
Then messed up by not going to show looking because my friends said there were bootleg tickets everywhere.

But as a consolation prize we bought tickets to the Pink Floyd Animals tour that had not sold out .

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote