Poll: Should The Bengals Pursue Marshall At WR?
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do We Go After Brandon Marshall?
(03-04-2017, 02:06 AM)Atomic Orange Wrote: 1. Granted i have been away for a few days but I thought we only had 15 mil? 2. 11 picks looks good but the Bengals have been striking out a lot lately. 3. We shouldn't be worrying about having to resign Whit. The "plan" was we drafted his replacement 2 years ago. Yet here were are. 4. Z should be the guy we are going after but for some strange reason i feel he wants out of here. (vibe not supported by fact). 5. But yeah, if we can get him for cheaper than LaFell you have to at least consider it even though I was happy with LaFells improvement as the season wore on. 6. TBH though Shake, I am of the opinion we are in a mini rebuild and we must plan accordingly. AKA build the lines.

1. That's a Hobspin (made up) number. According to most sites, we have/had 43 million under cap. That money is also needed to bring back guys like Whit, Z and Kirk though.
2. The draft is kinda like flipping a coin. We're sure to get some hits with some of those 11 picks.
3. I know. Paul Alexander's poor judgement is costing the team dearly, yet they stay loyal. Just shows that winning isn't the #1 priority.
4. Agree that he should be the #1 target, and believe that he's already gone for whatever reason. It almost feels predetermined that the Bengals won't pay a Guard.
5. I defended the LaFell signing from day 1 last year and loved his production...but Marshall would be an upgrade. If cheaper, you go for it.
6. Reload, mini rebuild, whatever you'd want to call fixing the oline and making a couple other decent additions. We don't need much, but we definitely need help.

(03-04-2017, 08:25 AM)Wyche Wrote: I agree about fixing our weaknesses first....couldn't agree more.....but to be fair to Marshall...Fitzy was shit for the Jets.  I don't think you can blame Brandon for those numbers. Jets QB play was horrible.

Jets QB's had a combined passer rating of 67.6. Imagine how our QB's play in the playoffs and imagine it stretched out over an entire season.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2017, 06:25 AM)kevin Wrote: LaFell had a better season than Marshall.  I would like to see LaFell back.  If they don't keep LaFell, then Marshall makes no sense. It will be Green, Boyd, Core, Erickson, Wright and who knows in the draft and I may be leaving out somebody on team. I feel I am.  If they don't resign LaFell, going after Marshall who had an off season and may have seen his best years makes no sense. Still there will be Cincy Fans who got excited over adding TO to Ocho, and what a joy that was, a 4 win season.  If Marshall was still elite Jets would not release him. He had a very off season in 2016.   We are going to have so many huge weaknesses at O Line and Defense to address, these talks of Marshall or drafting the LSU RB make no sense. We need to get the sandbags out and plug all the holes coming up at O line and Defense. If we had to play tomorrow, we could not man up in the trenches against the worst team in the NFL, but that can be fixed before September.

Lafell runs better routes than B-Marsh but after that there is no comparison talent wise.

If i had to choose between the two i would have to go with Marshall even if he has a big head.

He still is not TO don't care what you say. They are not the same dudes.

As Wyche said, with that QB situation how can you blame the Jets WR's?
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2017, 10:11 PM)Trademark Wrote: Honestly why would we? He's not even that good anymore

lol 1 year removed from a 1500 plus yard season.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2017, 04:16 AM)Jpoore Wrote: lol 1 year removed from a 1500 plus yard season.

...which is more yards than AJ Green has ever had, yet some would thumb their nose at adding him on the cheap.

Welcome to Jungle Noise. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
It depends on his price tag

yes to 4 million and less a strong no if above 4 million
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2017, 01:49 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: ...which is more yards than AJ Green has ever had, yet some would thumb their nose at adding him on the cheap.

Welcome to Jungle Noise. 

There has to be something unwritten about the guy.  Why else would he be on a modest contract (for a man of his talent) to be simply cut by a team in need of stars, like the Jets?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2017, 04:46 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: There has to be something unwritten about the guy.  Why else would he be on a modest contract (for a man of his talent) to be simply cut by a team in need of stars, like the Jets?

theyre in full rebuild mode now.... They cut revis and mangold as well 20 pro bowls. Eric decker as well theyre number 1 and 2 wrs saved 40 million against the cap. I think theyre going browns and doing a 2-3 year rebuild mode.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2017, 06:35 PM)Jpoore Wrote: theyre in full rebuild mode now.... They cut revis and mangold as well 20 pro bowls. Eric decker as well theyre number 1 and 2 wrs saved 40 million against the cap. I think theyre going browns and doing a 2-3 year rebuild mode.

Every one of the men that they are getting rid of were on a modest contract, as far as NFL "stars" go.  They must be on a long term rebuild, as they would be lucky to sign two players that give as much as the four that they decided to jettison.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2017, 08:08 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Every one of the men that they are getting rid of were on a modest contract, as far as NFL "stars" go.  They must be on a long term rebuild, as they would be lucky to sign two players that give as much as the four that they decided to jettison.

Yeah it looks like a full on "blow it up and start over". Marshall and Decker were phenomenal for them in 2015. The Fitzpatrick standoff cost them dearly last year, and I guess they just decided to save a ton of money and start over. I'd say Revis and Mangold are likely shells of their former selves, while Marshall was probably cut due to age/salary and Decker due to injury.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2017, 08:08 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Every one of the men that they are getting rid of were on a modest contract, as far as NFL "stars" go.  They must be on a long term rebuild, as they would be lucky to sign two players that give as much as the four that they decided to jettison.

Reports are they want to trade down as well so tend to agree with you. 
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2017, 08:42 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Yeah it looks like a full on "blow it up and start over". Marshall and Decker were phenomenal for them in 2015. The Fitzpatrick standoff cost them dearly last year, and I guess they just decided to save a ton of money and start over. I'd say Revis and Mangold are likely shells of their former selves, while Marshall was probably cut due to age/salary and Decker due to injury.

I expect these players might also have been let go because the Jets don't expect to compete for the next couple years and wanted to give these players a chance to play on some contenders while saving some money to roll over when they are ready to compete down the road.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-03-2017, 06:18 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Yeah, that was pretty awful the way TO came here and scored 9 TDs.

Anyways, can we have a do-over where the title and the poll ask the same question?

DO WE - no

SHOULD WE - yes

with TO it wasn't what he did its what he left on the field....  and he left a lot out there
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2017, 05:54 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: with TO it wasn't what he did its what he left on the field....  and he left a lot out there

What did he leave on the field?
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2017, 09:30 PM)Nately120 Wrote: What did he leave on the field?

A big snickers bar that was mistaken for a turd!
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2017, 09:30 PM)Nately120 Wrote: What did he leave on the field?

Cancer nately. Cancer. In one of his games, he had 222 yards worth of cancer.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2017, 11:11 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Cancer nately. Cancer. In one of his games, he had 222 yards worth of cancer.

Well he was a good receiver and he was good at receiving. He would not block and he would not try to break up interceptions when he obviously ran the wrong routes. He flustered Carson Palmer (who lobbied for him to be here) until he got so rattled that he would make mistakes, and he definitely did not need help with that.

There is more to being a receiver than just receiving.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2017, 11:55 PM)bengalhoel Wrote: Well he was a good receiver and he was good at receiving. He would not block and he would not try to break up interceptions when he obviously ran the wrong routes. He flustered Carson Palmer (who lobbied for him to be here) until he got so rattled that he would make mistakes, and he definitely did not need help with that.

There is more to being a receiver than just receiving.

Yeah I never saw proof that he ran wrong routes. That was just excuses for Palmer INT's. Carson threw up his arms a lot at Chad and TO, but he did the same thing with the Raiders and Cardinals receivers. The dude just has a tendency to throw some head scratchers. I never heard Jeff Garcia, McNabb or even Palmer actually complain about TO's route running. So it's all speculation from people with biased and preconceived notions. No one knows what routes these guys were supposed to run or whether or not they were accurate on said routes.

I just know I've never heard anyone say TO sucked at running routes. You don't get to 15k yards by running sloppy routes or constant freelancing.

He was also just fine as a blocker. No one outside of Bengals fans has ever questioned TO's effort on the field.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2017, 01:46 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: We have 11 picks and 43 million is cap room. We should be able to bring back Whit and Z, fix the o-line with new pieces, and add a few other difference makers.

Food for thought: Spotrac is predicting a value of $4.9m per year for Marshall and $6.6m per year for LaFell.

Marshall is better and should also be cheaper.

He is and is a threat. I would think if the price is right its a complete no brainer. This guy can still play and to not entertain or even pursue him is ridiculous. If you had Marshall on one side and AJ on the other with Eifert? That would be a complete nightmare for defenses. 

But this is the Bengals and maybe its more important to them to draft another "project" so we can develop them(hopefully) and in 4 years they can leave seasoned to another team. Rolleyes
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2017, 11:55 PM)bengalhoel Wrote:  He flustered Carson Palmer (who lobbied for him to be here) until he got so rattled that he would make mistakes, and he definitely did not need help with that.

Hmm, well Palmer did throw 20 INTs in 2010.  Then again, he went to AZ and threw 22 of them with that giant cancer diva Larry Fitzgerald as his #1 WR. Who made Dalton throw 20 INTs?
Reply/Quote
Marshall to the Giants 2 year/12 million.

Marshall doesn't have to move family and gets to play on potential playoff team for first time in career. Solid move by Giants and understandable for Marshall who will be pursuing a post NFL career in media.
Reply/Quote