Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do You Realize How Long It Has Been?
No, not since the last playoff win...we are all well aware of that.

Do you realize how long it has been since the Bengals first round draft pick has had a significant impact in their rookie season while also staying healthy?

2020 Joe Burrow: Significant impact? Yes. Stayed healthy? No
2019 Jonah Williams: Significant impact? No. Stayed Healthy? No (missed entire season)
2018 Billy Price: Significant impact? No. Stayed Healthy? No
2017 John Ross: Significant impact? No. Stayed healthy? No (played 1 game)
2016 William Jackson: Significant impact? No. Stayed healthy? No (missed entire season)
2015 Cedric Ogbuehi: Significant impact? No. Stayed healthy? No (was still recovering from torn ACL)
2014 Darqueze Dennard: Significant impact? No. Stayed healthy? Yes
2013 Tyler Eifert: Significant impact? No. Stayed healthy? Ironically yes

You have to go back to 2012 to find a first round pick who had a significant impact his rookie season while also staying healthy. That player was Kevin Zeitler who started all 16 games in 2012.

Sure would be nice to break that horrible streak this year.
Reply/Quote
We're due lol
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 12:50 PM)Go Cards Wrote: We're due lol

Ya think? lol
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 12:50 PM)Fullrock Wrote: Ya think? lol

Ok overdue lol 

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Ya, the elephant in the room during the Chase v Sewell debate is that whichever got chosen will undoubtedly be injured year 1. Knowing that, the Bengals did the wise thing and went OL in the 2nd round.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 12:59 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Ya, the elephant in the room during the Chase v Sewell debate is that whichever got chosen will undoubtedly be injured year 1. Knowing that, the Bengals did the wise thing and went OL in the 2nd round.

Never thought of it this way, feeling better already. 

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 12:45 PM)Fullrock Wrote: No, not since the last playoff win...we are all well aware of that.

Do you realize how long it has been since the Bengals first round draft pick has had a significant impact in their rookie season while also staying healthy?

2019 Jonah Williams: Significant impact? No. Stayed Healthy? No (missed entire season)
2016 William Jackson: Significant impact? No. Stayed healthy? No (missed entire season)
2015 Cedric Ogbuehi: Significant impact? No. Stayed healthy? No (was still recovering from torn ACL)

You have to go back to 2012 to find a first round pick who had a significant impact his rookie season while also staying healthy. That player was Kevin Zeitler who started all 16 games in 2012.

And our playoff run ended after 2015... Not a coincidence
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 12:45 PM)Fullrock Wrote: No, not since the last playoff win...we are all well aware of that.

Also, the other first round pick in 2012, Dre Kirkpatrick, saw very little playing time that year, I think this was mainly due to injuries.
Reply/Quote
yep, we know.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 02:32 PM)Ctfan73 Wrote: Also, the other first round pick in 2012, Dre Kirkpatrick, saw very little playing time that year, I think this was mainly due to injuries.

That, and he was never better than Terrance Newman, Pacman, or Leon Hall.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Very depressing history which explains the state of the Bengals after the 2015 Steeler playoff debacle through 2020.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 02:32 PM)Ctfan73 Wrote: Also, the other first round pick in 2012, Dre Kirkpatrick, saw very little playing time that year, I think this was mainly due to injuries.

Bengals had a tendency in Marvin Lewis era to draft guys who had guy(s) in front of them their rookie year.
This was the case basically every year 2013 until 2018.

Eifert technically started, but Gresham was ahead of him.
We know the CBs always had at least two guys ahead of them.
Ross had Green, LaFell, and Boyd ahead of him.
Ogbuehi had Whitworth and Smith ahead of him.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Not sure I'd be posting a thread about first round pick injuries in a season the Bengals travel to Detroit, where the worst first round injury ever for the team happened in Ki-Jana Carter.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Basically the last offensive Rookies I recall contributing were all drafted by Jay Gruden.

in his 3 short years here the offensive players drafted were

AJ Green, Andy Dalton, Clint Boling, Zeitler, Sanu, Marvin Jones, Tyler Eifert, and Gio Bernard.

He did not miss on many, maybe Orson Charles and a few late round OL, but that's it.

Think finally this years draft will yield some instant help though.

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 12:45 PM)Fullrock Wrote: Do you realize how long it has been since the Bengals first round draft pick has had a significant impact in their rookie season while also staying healthy?

It's not a condemnation of Burrow as I believe he has tons of promise and potential, and at the risk of being lynched....

Did he?

Burrow was 2-7-1 as a starter and 3% below average as a QB. If you take away the name, the draft position, the promise and potential and just look at it from a purely statistical standpoint, I don't think he did.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 09:19 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: It's not a condemnation of Burrow as I believe he has tons of promise and potential, and at the risk of being lynched....

Did he?

Burrow was 2-7-1 as a starter and 3% below average as a QB. If you take away the name, the draft position, the promise and potential and just look at it from a purely statistical standpoint, I don't think he did.

O no you didn’t.  How dare you say such things about Joe Burrow.  He is the second coming of Ken Anderson.  Sow what he only won 2 games at least he kicked the Steelers ass.  O sorry that was Finnly.  Dam you are correct.
Reply/Quote
well, to be fair he didnt play football for a year. If anything happens, that'll be the reason.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 09:05 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Basically the last offensive Rookies I recall contributing were all drafted by Jay Gruden.

AJ Green, Andy Dalton, Clint Boling, Zeitler,  Sanu, Marvin Jones, Tyler Eifert, and Gio Bernard.

He did not miss on many, maybe Orson Charles and a few late round OL, but that's it.

Most importantly, he talked Mike Brown out of drafting Ryan Mallett instead of Andy Dalton.

That alone deserves consideration for the RoH.

Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 09:05 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Basically the last offensive Rookies I recall contributing were all drafted by Jay Gruden.

AJ Green, Andy Dalton, Clint Boling, Zeitler,  Sanu, Marvin Jones, Tyler Eifert, and Gio Bernard.

Man, those were the days. Not that we drafted anyone who gave you the tingles, but you didn't automatically go "Oh, well, see you next season."

It's like Final Destination for our first round picks. You don't know when or how they're going to go down... you just know they will.

(05-04-2021, 09:19 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: It's not a condemnation of Burrow as I believe he has tons of promise and potential, and at the risk of being lynched....

Did he?

Dude had a garbage line. Can't fault a QB too much if he's basically got some guys who can't stay healthy and some vets hanging on for their last payday.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 11:44 PM)Benton Wrote: Dude had a garbage line. Can't fault a QB too much if he's basically got some guys who can't stay healthy and some vets hanging on for their last payday.

Sure, but the question wasn't "could he have made a significant impact if he had a better supporting cast?" it was "did he make a significant impact?".

It's not fun to admit, but objectively he didn't. It's not faulting him. I think he'll be much better in 2021.

Reply/Quote