Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Do You Think the Brown Family Feels Embarrassed?
(12-05-2020, 01:14 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Kind of an oddball question, I know.  But this is something I've wondered for quite some time.

Do you think Mike, Katie, Troy, or Duke (basically family) has any shame whatsoever?  Do you think they ever feel embarrassed or humilated by just how terrible at their jobs they are?

I honestly don't think they really do.  I do think they feel disappointed, and I'm sure they realize they could do better.  But I doubt they feel as embarrassed as they should.  

I think they probably rationlize it by either blaming the people underneath them (coaches and players), or by attributing it to bad luck or bad breaks (just like a lot of posters do here sometimes).

I just don't know how you could continue to throw out such a piss-poor product and never really look at youself being part of the problem.  

Like, how do these people take themselves seriously?  How do they go into an owners meeting, or meets with agents or the media, and not realize they're a complete joke to everyone else?   Do they not understand how stupid they look continuing to do the things that they do?

I don't know, guys.  It just seems so odd.  If they did feel shame or embarrassment they'd obviously do something to correct it.  They'd acknowledge they need help and aren't capable of doing this themselves.  They bring in new people to the Front Office and change their entire approach.

I hope I'm wrong.  I hope someone like Duke Tobin knows just what a loser he is at his job.  I hope Mike and Katie feel incredible embarrasment that this is what they offer to this city.  I hope Troy knows he has no business being anywhere around the game of football.  I hope they all know they're underqualified for what they do, and that everyone knows it.

I just can't imagine being one of these people and not doing something to make improvements, and to make myself look better in the process.  Not caring is taken to entirely different level when you're at the top of a 2 billion company, in a sport that's under a microscope and watched by millions.  But that's what it appears to be, they just don't give a shit what anyone thinks.

Not at all. They talk about "bad luck" a lot. Which is the opposite of accountability and embarrasment. It makes sense given that the only living members of the Brown family are in the position they are is due to luck/nepotism.

Mike Brown never earned his way to running a football team. Never even earned his way into owning one, really. Same with the rest of them. I have hope that the Blackburns will be more amenable to changes on the football side once Mike is totally gone.

When good luck gives you the only "makes" you've ever had, luck must be the cause of the "breaks" then, too, right?
Reply/Quote
No. If you were to ask that question face to face to each of them, they would most likely give you a look of puzzlement like," What to we have to be embarrassed about? We run a successful NFL franchise here."
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Terrible at their jobs?

Does the walton family feel bad there's web sites making fun of their customers?

Does the kroc family wince when they hear someone put "mc" in front of something to mock it as inferior from the real thing?

The brown family is terrible at football, but that's not their job. Their job is owning the team. And they're very, very good at that. They've got the city paying for a stadium, profit sharing, etc.

Marvin was terrible at his job. Tobin has become as bad (or worse). But the Brown family is just there to cash/sign checks.
Reply/Quote
The Brown's feel less shame than a junkie trying to rob an honest man out of his pocket change.

Think Scrooge, but with a Soros' vibe.
Reply/Quote
No worse then the folks that run the lions, football team, Jets, browns, cardinals, bills, chargers or any other perennial loser team out there.
Reply/Quote
Paul Brown was a brilliant football mind. But when it came to raising a football-intelligent family, well... let’s just say he dropped the ball on that one
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2020, 04:37 AM)Benton Wrote: The brown family is terrible at football, but that's not their job. Their job is owning the team. And they're very, very good at that. They've got the city paying for a stadium, profit sharing, etc.

Give me a break.  You're saying they're good at their jobs because they secured a stadium deal when, at the time, public funding was the norm?  Because they held the city hostage and had some shady business dealings, which included hiring the county commisoner (Bob Bedinghaus) who worked the deal, immediately after it's completion?

Proft sharing?  I'm assuming this means the league's revenue sharing from tv.  You're giving them credit for that?  They're good at what they do because they're part of a sytem that rewards everyone equally?  If they're good at this, can you point to an owner who is bad at it?  Is there any owner that isn't good at profit sharing?  I would assume for someone to be good there would have to be someone who is bad, otherwise they'd all be equal.

Let's look at some of what their job entails, and tell me if I'm wrong:

Building a quality product - Terrible
Selling Tickets - Terrible
Selling Merchandise - Terrible
Selling Cooperate Luxury Boxes - Terrible
Marketing - Terrible
PR - Terrible
Customer Satisfaction - Terrible
Reputation - Terrible

From a business prospective, what exactly do they do well?  I'd love to know.  If you're answer essentially equates to being cheap then that's not really an answer.

If they were any other business they would have went bust a long, long time ago.  They have one of the worst products in their industry, they have continued to ignore customer complaints, and they refuse to adapt.  They are awful at what they do.
Reply/Quote
They certainly should be after that last game.

Reply/Quote
No, they don't feel embarrassed at all. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2020, 01:34 PM)Geno_Can_Dunk Wrote: Duke, Katie and Troy are already at the helm, and it has been a few years since Mike Brown had any real control of this team. 

Yes and no. While he turned over day-to-day operations around 2014, he also made a point of reminding everyone:  'I can still bark, and they have to make sure they don't step on my toes.' 

To say he doesn't have 'any real control' isn't entirely accurate. He still owns the team and he still has the final say.
Reply/Quote
I doubt it.. They are rich and according to the last 30 years they don't give a shit...
Reply/Quote
They are not part of the peasantry so no, I doubt they are embarrassed. And when it comes to football, all the talk is about grandpa Paul Brown most likely and the accolades. As for the current situation, they probably talk about Marvin and his 7 playoff appearances.
Reply/Quote
No, owning an NFL team is a family business. Their focus is first and foremost always about making money, winning is just a nice bonus.
Reply/Quote
As others have said, probably not, at least not to the extent we would expect.

Whenever you heard Mike Brown talk about anything involving record, you would often hear him compare to the worst teams in the league like the Browns. Well since moving on from Marvin Lewis, the Bengals are literally the worst team in the league record-wise with 4.5 wins. All other teams have at least 7 wins in that time span.

But at the end of the day, this is a business, and their goal is to make money. Winning brings in more money, but as long as they end up with a profit, they may not care too much. Especially in a year where a pandemic has greatly affected the business.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2020, 01:14 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Kind of an oddball question, I know.  But this is something I've wondered for quite some time.

Do you think Mike, Katie, Troy, or Duke (basically family) has any shame whatsoever?  Do you think they ever feel embarrassed or humilated by just how terrible at their jobs they are?

I honestly don't think they really do.  I do think they feel disappointed, and I'm sure they realize they could do better.  But I doubt they feel as embarrassed as they should.  

I think they probably rationlize it by either blaming the people underneath them (coaches and players), or by attributing it to bad luck or bad breaks (just like a lot of posters do here sometimes).

I just don't know how you could continue to throw out such a piss-poor product and never really look at youself being part of the problem.  

Like, how do these people take themselves seriously?  How do they go into an owners meeting, or meets with agents or the media, and not realize they're a complete joke to everyone else?   Do they not understand how stupid they look continuing to do the things that they do?

I don't know, guys.  It just seems so odd.  If they did feel shame or embarrassment they'd obviously do something to correct it.  They'd acknowledge they need help and aren't capable of doing this themselves.  They bring in new people to the Front Office and change their entire approach.

I hope I'm wrong.  I hope someone like Duke Tobin knows just what a loser he is at his job.  I hope Mike and Katie feel incredible embarrasment that this is what they offer to this city.  I hope Troy knows he has no business being anywhere around the game of football.  I hope they all know they're underqualified for what they do, and that everyone knows it.

I just can't imagine being one of these people and not doing something to make improvements, and to make myself look better in the process.  Not caring is taken to entirely different level when you're at the top of a 2 billion company, in a sport that's under a microscope and watched by millions.  But that's what it appears to be, they just don't give a shit what anyone thinks.

You could have substituted DJT for the Brown family. 73 MM people thought that he did a great
job.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2020, 11:49 AM)PV Bengal Wrote: You could have substituted DJT for the Brown family. 73 MM people thought that he did a great
job.

There's a P&R forum if you want to try and get political. Just saying. We all suffer enough as Bengals fans, no reason to take it that way here. 
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2020, 10:54 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Their focus is first and foremost always about making money, winning is just a nice bonus.

Then they should focus a lot harder.  They're not making nearly as much as they could.

When you have 20-30k unsold tickets for every home game that's going to be a sizeable dent in your income. 

Let's just assume it's a 25k average for unsold tickets for the 8 homes in 2019, at an average ticket price of $70.  That's 1.75 million a game, or 14 million a season.  Since the tickets are split with the away team the Bengals lost roughly 7 million dollars last year in unsold tickets.

And that's just tickets.  What about the loss in concessions, or team owned parking lots?  That's probably a significant amount.

What about unsold luxury boxes?  That's gotta be a decent chunk of change too.

Merchandise?  Can't be doing well there either.

Advertising?  Can't figure they're doing too well securing advertising dollars and sponsors when they have as little leverage as they do.  How'd Papa John's and Gold Star's promos do after Bengals wins last season?  I can't see companies lining up and paying the premium they would with a winner with a team like the 2019 Bengals.

I think it's very safe to say that Bengals lost on an absolute minimum of 10 million dollars last year by serving up a shitty product.  And it's probably a lot more than that (closer to 20 than 10, maybe even over 20).  Had they offered up a decent product this would have been money that went directly in their pocket.
Reply/Quote
Actually i do believe they are disappointed. A new stellar qb, and a lousy coach who is risking the future of the franchise. Guys like Joe B dont grow on trees.

Lets se what happends when the season ends.
Reply/Quote
Only thing the Brown family is embarrassed about is lower levels of profit. They don’t give a damn about winning.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote