Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do players have a say in who we draft
I've read now a couple of times that Burrow has said in interviews that he would love us to have Chase in the team.
With the O-Line class being so strong in this years draft is there a chance that Zac and Duke will or have already had any discussions with Joe or other senior players in regards to who they would like to play with?
Also if both Chase and Sewell are there at 5 and if we have already signed 1 or 2 experienced O-line guys in FA, would we pass on Sewell and take Chase and then get another top O-Line man in the second?
Reply/Quote
I doubt it... but Burrow would likely be the only one who's input they'd value.

If we get FA O-lineman then yes Chase is very likely at that point
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2021, 03:04 PM)JWW1971 Wrote: I've read now a couple of times that Burrow has said in interviews that he would love us to have Chase in the team.
With the O-Line class being so strong in this years draft is there a chance that Zac and Duke will or have already had any discussions with Joe or other senior players in regards to who they would like to play with?
Also if both Chase and Sewell are there at 5 and if we have already signed 1 or 2 experienced O-line guys in FA, would we pass on Sewell and take Chase and then get another top O-Line man in the second?

Players shouldn't have a say in who is drafted. That's what scouts, GMs and coaches are for.

Bolded: If they get proven, top guys at both G and T, that's exactly what they should do. If they get a G but still need T, then take Sewell.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
I wouldn’t let them make the pick. I would factor in their off the record true thoughts on guys they played with and against though.
Reply/Quote
I doubt Burrow carries a lot of weight on picks at this point in his career.
Reply/Quote
I'd rather have Chase and sign some linemen in free agency
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2021, 03:04 PM)JWW1971 Wrote: I've read now a couple of times that Burrow has said in interviews that he would love us to have Chase in the team.
First he did not come out and say it, they setup the answer, both interviews they ask if he like to have Chase, duh he not going to say no
 But he went on and stated not his role and has faith in Bengals. 
Reply/Quote
Pretty much, no.

They may have some input in regards to how any employee might have input with their boss. "Hey, so-and-so would be a great fit" or "you see that guys season?" That's about it.

I say 'pretty much no' because there have been a few instances of significant players (such as tom brady a couple times) who restructured their contracts to more team friendly deals to keep things competitive. I wouldn't say he or any of the others had any input in the draft or free agency, but I'd imagine there were some discussions on what those players thought the team needed.
Reply/Quote
I think the only "input" that they get from a guy like Burrow would be on guys that they are considering from LSU. They will definitely ask him about Chase, his work ethic, his mental ability etc.

Will they ask him about Devonta Smith? Doubtful. I also doubt that they would ask him about Sewell etc.

You know damn well they will be asking Tee Higgins about the Clemson guys.
Reply/Quote
We can trade AJ for a #1 pick, the rams/lions trade gave me hope.
Reply/Quote
In a case such as Burrow hoping a former teammate joins' the Bengals is something they will consider, but not in the first round. I think coaches and organizations will listen to the players, but where they file such opinions in the priority cabinet is another story.

Reply/Quote
(02-01-2021, 10:44 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: We can trade AJ for a #1 pick, the rams/lions trade gave me hope.

AJ is a UFA.

Reply/Quote
(02-01-2021, 01:00 AM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I think the only "input" that they get from a guy like Burrow would be on guys that they are considering from LSU.  They will definitely ask him about Chase, his work ethic, his mental ability etc.  

Will they ask him about Devonta Smith?  Doubtful.  I also doubt that they would ask him about Sewell etc.

You know damn well they will be asking Tee Higgins about the Clemson guys.

It's worth pointing out that Jaylen Waddle was actually outproducing DeVonta Smith through 4 games this year until Waddle got hurt. DeVonta Smith may not even have been the best WR on his own team, and he's a damn good WR.

If Burrow ends up wanting more speed, he may actually prefer Waddle over Smith.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

im sure they can give their opinion   but how much the coaches and FO rely on that opinion is probly very very slim
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2021, 10:57 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: AJ is a UFA.

Not to drift too far off topic, but I've read that AJ's projected market value is in the $6M range.  Should the Bengals offer him a 2 year deal at that price point?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2021, 11:30 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Not to drift too far off topic, but I've read that AJ's projected market value is in the $6M range.  Should the Bengals offer him a 2 year deal at that price point?

I don’t think so, no. Between his age, some questions of effort at times this season, injury concerns, etc, I just don’t think it makes sense for us. Not to mention he doesn’t really do anything Tate can’t do at this point.

Reply/Quote
Not unless Mikey has changed his stripes.

It wasn't all that long ago that Bommer Esiason and David Fulcher went to Mikey and asked that the team focus on defense in the upcoming draft. Mikey didn't listen to the former NFL MVP and arguably one of the best defensive players in our team's history. I don't see him paying much attention to anyone on the current roster
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-01-2021, 10:57 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: AJ is a UFA.

That would make trading him an absolute stroke of genius.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2021, 12:25 PM)jason Wrote: That would make trading him an absolute stroke of genius.

And unfortunately Bill O’Brien isn’t GMing anywhere atm.

Reply/Quote
(02-01-2021, 11:30 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Not to drift too far off topic, but I've read that AJ's projected market value is in the $6M range.  Should the Bengals offer him a 2 year deal at that price point?

let some new young blood come in a grow with burrow..
Reply/Quote