Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Do the Bengals Finally Have Their Defensive Coordinator?
I am certain I was not the only one, but I questioned the hire of Sweet Lou Anarumo since it was reported he was ZT's 5th or lower choice. I also questioned Anarumo's treatment of Bengals aging stars on defense like Dunlap, Atkins, and others. But it turns out thus far, maybe he needed "his" type of players for his schemes to be effective.

After 3 games, the Bengals defense has performed significantly better compared to performances the last two years. I believe the lost of Ossai has hurt and the Bengals defense would perform even better. Here are some indicators:

ESPN: Bengals defense is rated in top 8 in total yards. Bengals ranked 12th in creating turnovers.

Pro Football Reference: Bengals Defense is 7th in points allowed.

PFF: 10. CINCINNATI BENGALS

"The Bengals rounding out the top 10 is quite the surprise, given how bad they were last year and the fact that Trae Waynes and Mackensie Alexander, the two free agents they brought in to help out the secondary, have battled injuries. Safety Jessie Bates III has without question been the best player at the position to start out the year, as he has earned a 90.2 coverage grade, nearly 14 grading points higher than the next best safety. He has broken up a whopping seven passes, leading the position by three."

Taylor has not displayed enough on offense to dispel questions regarding his play calling on offense. But the Bengals may have found their Defensive Coordinator if the team continues to play well throughout the year.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The good news is Lou Anarumo is the real deal. The bad news is he’ll be poached by another team and get a head coach offer he can’t refuse.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 07:33 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I am certain I was not the only one, but I questioned the hire of Sweet Lou Anarumo since it was reported he was ZT's 5th or lower choice.  I also questioned Anarumo's treatment of Bengals aging stars on defense like Dunlap, Atkins, and others.  But it turns out thus far, maybe he needed "his" type of players for his schemes to be effective.  

After 3 games, the Bengals defense has performed significantly better compared to performances the last two years.  I believe the lost of Ossai has hurt and the Bengals defense would perform even better.  Here are some indicators:

ESPN: Bengals defense is rated in top 8 in total yards.  Bengals ranked 12th in creating turnovers.

"The Bengals rounding out the top 10 is quite the surprise, given how bad they were last year and the fact that Trae Waynes and Mackensie Alexander, the two free agents they brought in to help out the secondary, have battled injuries. Safety Jessie Bates III has without question been the best player at the position to start out the year, as he has earned a 90.2 coverage grade, nearly 14 grading points higher than the next best safety. He has broken up a whopping seven passes, leading the position by three."

Taylor has not displayed enough on offense to dispel questions regarding his play calling on offense.  But the Bengals may have found their Defensive Coordinator if the team continues to play well throughout the year.

Lou found his players and yeah I think the Bengals finally have their Defensive Coordinator. Even Eli Apple looked good 
yesterday and Darius filled in well for Awuzie. The LB's under Golden and the DL under Hobby have been fantastic.

Love watching this Defense. Think we will see our ranking get higher too as the year goes on.

I am seeing a top 5 D when I watch this team. Great front, only Tampa and the Cards look a bit better to me.

Hubbard finally had his breakout game and Trey just continues to disrupt on the other edge. 

OUR DT room is next to only Tampa IMO.

Logan has been the best LB I have watched this year so far.
Reply/Quote
Another interesting stats, Steelers led league in sacks 2020 with 56 total sacks during the Regular season. Bengals were last with 17 total sacks.

Sacks for Bengals:
2019 31
2018 34
2017 41

Steelers have led or tied League in sacks since 2017 until this year.

Bengals are on pace for about 53 sacks this year, and this is without their promising rookie Ossai. Again, Steelers had 56 sacks last year just for reference.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
He’s absolutely been 1000% better than I ever imagined. One of the only good hires Zac initially made.

Meanwhile, Gator fans are trying to run Todd Grantham out of town on a rail.

And by Gator fans, I mean me.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 09:09 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Another interesting stats, Steelers led league in sacks 2020 with 56 total sacks during the Regular season.   Bengals were last with 17 total sacks.  

Sacks for Bengals:
2019 31
2018 34
2017 41

Steelers have led or tied League in sacks since 2017 until this year.

Bengals are on pace for about 53 sacks this year, and this is without their promising rookie Ossai.  Again, Steelers had 56 sacks last year just for reference.

If we can get Ricardo Allen back and Waynes actually dressing this might also make QB's hold onto the ball longer as well
resulting in more sacks. Think Hendrickson will start getting more sacks as the year goes on. He was held a lot in the Pitt 
game and it wasn't called. Hendrickson is really disruptive, think good ole Mike Hilton will also add a few sacks and had a 
very good game against his old team. Cam Sample also is starting to come around and Kareem will be back soon.

Saw Hodge also might of got a pressure against Pitt.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 07:37 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The good news is Lou Anarumo is the real deal.  The bad news is he’ll be poached by another team and get a head coach offer he can’t refuse.

IDK about all that.  He's done his job in getting his guys in there by his third year, and he's done wonders drafting linebackers, if he's the one making that decision.  

My only question about Lou is whether or not he can develop young talent to build a defense (outside of linebacker, of course).  His two premier DTs were free agents and one of them was incredibly expensive.  His top DE was another very expensive outside free agent.  His corners, if healthy are  also both outside guys that the team gave big money, as is his nickel corner.  His strong safety is another guy that came from another team as a relatively finished product, albeit being less expensive.  

I've never seen this team give a coordinator the kind of leeway they gave Lou in terms of stockpiling expensive outside free agents to build a defense. This comes right after Marvin having to dumpster dive for criminals and first round busts for almost 2 decades, with the exception of the semi-annual washed up strong side linebacker veteran.  Most coordinators would kill for the kind of haul Lou got and I'd venture that most would do reasonably well with the players they got to hand pick as proven NFL commodities to fit their system.  

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they did it.  it was the right thing to do if the team was determined to spend all early round picks on offense for 3 years, which they have.  I'm just not sure that other organizations are going to look at Lou and think he's the one to build a team when his best example of success comes after 2 years of loading up on high-end pre-developed talent.  
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 09:33 PM)samhain Wrote: IDK about all that.  He's done his job in getting his guys in there by his third year, and he's done wonders drafting linebackers, if he's the one making that decision.  

My only question about Lou is whether or not he can develop young talent to build a defense (outside of linebacker, of course).  His two premier DTs were free agents and one of them was incredibly expensive.  His top DE was another very expensive outside free agent.  His corners, if healthy are  also both outside guys that the team gave big money, as is his nickel corner.  His strong safety is another guy that came from another team as a relatively finished product, albeit being less expensive.  

I've never seen this team give a coordinator the kind of leeway they gave Lou in terms of stockpiling expensive outside free agents to build a defense.  This comes right after Marvin having to dumpster dive for criminals and first round busts for almost 2 decades, with the exception of the semi-annual washed up strong side linebacker veteran.  Most coordinators would kill for the kind of haul Lou got and I'd venture that most would do reasonably well with the players they got to hand pick as proven NFL commodities to fit their system.  

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they did it.  it was the right thing to do if the team was determined to spend all early round picks on offense for 3 years, which they have.  I'm just not sure that other organizations are going to look at Lou and think he's the one to build a team when his best example of success comes after 2 years of loading up on high-end pre-developed talent.  

Lou has a lot to prove before he is even thought of as a HC prospect.

At least at the pro level.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 09:33 PM)samhain Wrote: IDK about all that.  He's done his job in getting his guys in there by his third year, and he's done wonders drafting linebackers, if he's the one making that decision.  

I've never seen this team give a coordinator the kind of leeway they gave Lou in terms of stockpiling expensive outside free agents to build a defense.  This comes right after Marvin having to dumpster dive for criminals and first round busts for almost 2 decades, with the exception of the semi-annual washed up strong side linebacker veteran.  Most coordinators would kill for the kind of haul Lou got and I'd venture that most would do reasonably well with the players they got to hand pick as proven NFL commodities to fit their system.  

Yeah I think your right. We spent 2 years of very bad defense. I thought it was laughable when people were saying during free agency that Lou was getting his guys and now we would succeed. I've admitted I was wrong and giving Lou a lot of credit but maybe the front office really deserves some major credit for getting the bulk of this group together. Also good point on Marvin's year's that we very rarely spent in free agency.
Reply/Quote
Lewis and Zimmer looking at the Bengals with a "WTF" look. After years of having to make due with Dhani Jones, Tank Johnson, Roy Williams, etc... Bengals have 7 of their top 13, and all 3 of their top 3 cap hits this year are all as outside defensive FA signings. If Lou couldn't succeed with that, he needed to be out of the NFL.

Bengals have the 6th most cap $ on defense in the league.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 10:29 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Lewis and Zimmer looking at the Bengals with a "WFT" look. After years of having to make due with Dhani Jones, Tank Johnson, Roy Williams, etc... Bengals have 7 of their top 13, and all 3 of their top 3 cap hits this year are all as outside defensive FA signings. If Lou couldn't succeed with that, he needed to be out of the NFL.

And I've got to say, it's a damn good thing they're showing results.  The worst thing that could have happened is the Bengals spending all this money just for Mike Brown to get an "I told you so" moment.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 10:29 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Lewis and Zimmer looking at the Bengals with a "WFT" look. After years of having to make due with Dhani Jones, Tank Johnson, Roy Williams, etc... Bengals have 7 of their top 13, and all 3 of their top 3 cap hits this year are all as outside defensive FA signings. If Lou couldn't succeed with that, he needed to be out of the NFL.

Washington Football Team Look lol

Just need Waynes to start earning his paycheck. Reader, Ogunjobi, Hendrickson, Bell, Hilton are certainly earning theirs.

(09-27-2021, 10:33 PM)MickMack Wrote: And I've got to say, it's a damn good thing they're showing results.  The worst thing that could have happened is the Bengals spending all this money just for Mike Brown to get an "I told you so" moment.

But it is the way you should handle Free Agency. Hope we keep on keeping on this way.

Keep stacking the trenches and we will be successful.
Reply/Quote
I'll eat a little crow. I thought he was a problem last year. Thrilled to see him producing with some time and fresh talent.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 10:42 PM)Roland Wrote: I'll eat a little crow.  I thought he was a problem last year.   Thrilled to see him producing with some time and fresh talent.

Me too. I wanted Lou gone after that Ratbird debacle late last season. 400 yards you let a team rush on you? 

Not what I want to see at all. Evidently neither did Lou or the D. They look stout so far, really stout.
Reply/Quote
He finally has a healthy unit and they are producing. Also everyone keeps bringing up how much we have spent in free agency on defense but on same hand we haven't used much draft capital on the unit either.
Lou is a solid coach and he has been really snakebitten by injuries and unforeseen drama during his first two seasons.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 09:39 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Lou has a lot to prove before he is even thought of as a HC prospect.

At least at the pro level.

I wish that standard had been applied to Zac Taylor.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 07:33 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I am certain I was not the only one, but I questioned the hire of Sweet Lou Anarumo since it was reported he was ZT's 5th or lower choice.  I also questioned Anarumo's treatment of Bengals aging stars on defense like Dunlap, Atkins, and others.  But it turns out thus far, maybe he needed "his" type of players for his schemes to be effective.  

After 3 games, the Bengals defense has performed significantly better compared to performances the last two years.  I believe the lost of Ossai has hurt and the Bengals defense would perform even better.  Here are some indicators:

ESPN: Bengals defense is rated in top 8 in total yards.  Bengals ranked 12th in creating turnovers.

Taylor has not displayed enough on offense to dispel questions regarding his play calling on offense.  But the Bengals may have found their Defensive Coordinator if the team continues to play well throughout the year.

That's a little confusing since i'm looking at the grades right now and it shows him with a 71.1 coverage grade and 0 PBUs. He and Von Bell are both in the top 10 overall. Bates at 8th and Bell at 10th. 

EDIT: Weird. Those stats are from last year. Plus Alexander isn't on the team this year.  Shocked

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 10:29 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Lewis and Zimmer looking at the Bengals with a "WTF" look. After years of having to make due with Dhani Jones, Tank Johnson, Roy Williams, etc... Bengals have 7 of their top 13, and all 3 of their top 3 cap hits this year are all as outside defensive FA signings. If Lou couldn't succeed with that, he needed to be out of the NFL.

After that Athletic article came out about Marvin, it seems like the lackluster additions were Marvin's choices.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote

Does PFF not realize Alexander went back to Minnesota? PFF is really showing itself to be a chitshow this week....
Reply/Quote
I've been a Lou supporter from the beginning, and said once he gets his players and they buy in he will be a good DC. Got rid of the dissenters and brought in players who want to play in his system, and look at the results.
Reply/Quote