Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Do we have our backup QB?
(12-30-2020, 12:00 AM)BengalRed Wrote: What a difference a couple of weeks make. When I started this thread a couple of weeks ago most everyone was poo pooing Allen as the Bengals backup. But after having a career game against the Texans most want to keep him. FWIW Mo Egger and Tony Pike both said after that game that they weren't ready to award him the backup role yet. They needed to see more. As for me I think he'd be a fine backup which would save us having to draft a QB or spend money for a veteran.

Put me in the Camp that wants to see more. I mean yes he's leaps and bounds better that Finley. But I wanna see what he does against Ravens before I get all geeked up.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2020, 05:45 PM)fredtoast Wrote: All of these guys are making less than $2 million this year.

Blake Bortles
Cam Newton
Jameis Winstead
Brian Hoyer
Robert Griffin III
Joe Flacco
Mike Glennon
Chad Henne
Matt Schaub (Yes, I swear to god, Matt Schaub has played this year)

What?!@  Dude's gotta be near TB12 in age, right?  
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2020, 05:55 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Put me in the Camp that wants to see more. I mean yes he's leaps and bounds better that Finley. But I wanna see what he does against Ravens before I get all geeked up.

I have no illusions of grandeur when it comes to Allen facing one of the best defenses in the league. 

That said, I believe that if this team was better around him, he could have a game manager type of game, and maybe eek out a W if the defense could stop them. He's no Brady, but he's not exactly a complete turd either. If we were a serious SB contender, I might have reservations with him as the 2, but as we're still in rebuild, I'd say he's fine.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-30-2020, 05:16 PM)Wyche Wrote: It's been floating around on Twitter that Duke Tobin made that call....

As for why Finley was the 2 with Allen here, I have no idea, can only speculate.

I don't believe it. I think the guy who was a former QB and was a QB coach would be the one making that call.

Lots of BS on twitter too as we all know Wyche.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2020, 05:55 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Put me in the Camp that wants to see more. I mean yes he's leaps and bounds better that Finley. But I wanna see what he does against Ravens before I get all geeked up.

Same, but I do like how Allen seems like a leader out there. I like the guy. Finley just smiles all game while playing meh with a 
noodle arm. Finley had like 87 yards passing against the Steelers, I will go on a limb and say either Taylor or Callahan and that 
Defense were bigger factors than those 87 yards passing in that win lol

I don't even care if Allen has a terrible game against the Ravens he is better than Finley. Blocking sure helps.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2020, 04:32 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yes, this is the real question.

I know Taylor drafted Finley and even traded up for him but this smells of poor judgment shows that Taylor cannot judge QB 
play well nor will admit a mistake and start the better player. Finley is the worst pick we have had in Taylor's time here IMO.

And considering how bad Michael Jordan is that says a lot...

Reply/Quote
(12-30-2020, 10:46 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I don't believe it. I think the guy who was a former QB and was a QB coach would be the one making that call.

Truth....but it is also floating around the beat writers circle. It was posted on here somewhere. 

I might not believe it....but then I recall the John Ross/Marvin fiasco.

Reply/Quote
Robert Griffin III has always been the best of the best, bad organization and bad coaching and his bad decisions, cost him his career imho.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2020, 10:46 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I don't believe it. I think the guy who was a former QB and was a QB coach would be the one making that call.

They were all ex QBs weren't they?

Mike Brown, Duke Tobin, Zac Taylor, Bill Callahan, Alex Van Pelt, Mike Potts, Dan Pitcher...
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2020, 01:23 PM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: They were all ex QBs weren't they?

Mike Brown, Duke Tobin, Zac Taylor, Bill Callahan, Alex Van Pelt, Mike Potts, Dan Pitcher...

I forgot that. Still don't think Tobin was overruling Taylor to pick Finley. Had to be of mutual interest at the very least.

Either way, bad pick. If you are going to pick a QB and even move up to pick him he better at least have a lot of talent and upside.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2020, 11:46 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: And considering how bad Michael Jordan is that says a lot...

True, on the other hand I really like Adeniji and he was picked much later.

(12-31-2020, 11:03 AM)Wyche Wrote: Truth....but it is also floating around the beat writers circle. It was posted on here somewhere. 

I might not believe it....but then I recall the John Ross/Marvin fiasco.

Yeah, it really is all speculation. 

Just saying that Finley was a bad pick and it was probably more than just Tobin making the pick.

Not excusing Tobin or anything but I think there are quite a few people out there trying to get him fired even when we 
have a good to great Draft like we had last year. We have been drafting pretty good the last couple of years.
Reply/Quote
Anyone want to rethink this? I’m definitely not confident going into next season with Allen as QB2 at this point. Not with Burrow possibly being out for multiple games. He was truly awful today against a real defense.

6/21 48 yards 0 TD 2 INT 0.0 rating

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 09:03 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Anyone want to rethink this? I’m definitely not confident going into next season with Allen as QB2 at this point. Not with Burrow possibly being out for multiple games. He was truly awful today against a real defense.

Ouch. He's a backup for a reason, and if Burrow doesn't start the season, I'd say they better have an insurance policy. Allen is a guy that can play here and there, but probably not over a long stretch. That said, Burrow didn't exactly do much against Baltimore in the first game either. 

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 09:03 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Anyone want to rethink this? I’m definitely not confident going into next season with Allen as QB2 at this point. Not with Burrow possibly being out for multiple games. He was truly awful today against a real defense.

he really hit 0.0?
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 11:00 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Ouch. He's a backup for a reason, and if Burrow doesn't start the season, I'd say they better have an insurance policy. Allen is a guy that can play here and there, but probably not over a long stretch. That said, Burrow didn't exactly do much against Baltimore in the first game either

That was during the height of our OL woes though. Burrow was sacked 7x in that game, and still managed to complete 63.33% of his passes.

Allen wasn’t even sacked once yesterday, and yet he only completed 28.6% of his passes.

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 11:02 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: he really hit 0.0?

Yep.

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 11:14 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: That was during the height of our OL woes though. Burrow was sacked 7x in that game, and still managed to complete 63.33% of his passes.

Allen wasn’t even sacked once yesterday, and yet he only completed 28.6% of his passes.

Yes, and Burrow is obviously WAAAAYYYYY better, just pointing out that our offense doesn't seem to have much to offer against the Ravens. Maybe Allen forgot his Wheaties yesterday....

Reply/Quote
Maybe they should keep Finley on the backburner in reserve for division rival games.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote