Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Do we need a new Punter?
(09-26-2023, 02:47 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Bengals aren't going to keep cycling through punter after punter.
We gotta give these guys a chance to develop.

Bengals had to find a new punter with Huber nearing/hitting retirement.
Chrisman had a good leg, struggled with hangtime.
Robbins is supposed to have good hangtime, but he's not a boomer.

If Araiza is able to do both and everyone is comfortable with his off-field situation given he's been cleared of involvement, then they could give him a shot.
But we also should give Robbins more of a chance before throwing in the towel already.
It's been just 3 games.

I do agree with this, but teams generally cannot afford to have a complete liability on special teams. Unfortunately Robbins has been pretty woeful. Hopefully he can turn it around, but these three games have been pretty bad and there won't be a lot of leash for a punter who struggles with punting the ball. We certainly may as well stick with him until any other option becomes reasonable. 
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2023, 04:10 PM)TheCincinnatiKid Wrote: I do agree with this, but teams generally cannot afford to have a complete liability on special teams. Unfortunately Robbins has been pretty woeful. Hopefully he can turn it around, but these three games have been pretty bad and there won't be a lot of leash for a punter who struggles with punting the ball. We certainly may as well stick with him until any other option becomes reasonable. 

I wasn't even paying attention to the punting game until I saw comments here and elsewhere on social media.  

The hate this dude is getting seems like an insane overreaction by Bengals fans.  

He's not wowing anyone (i guess) with his leg but it seems like you can almost guarantee none of his punts are gonna be returned more than a handful of yards and mostly be a fair catch.  Isn't that the sort of reliability fans were clamoring for last year?  

What good is a 60 yard punt if it gets returned 20 yards?

If i do a search on the internet for Brad Robbins, I don't see one member of the press writing a negative article about him (or at all really).  This outrage seems limited to fans only.  

He's 3rd in the league on avg return yards...he's exactly what the Bengals drafted and now people seem to be upset.  I don't get it.  So if someone wants to break it down for me so I can get where y'all are coming from, I'm all ears (eyes).
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2023, 04:25 PM)basballguy Wrote: I wasn't even paying attention to the punting game until I saw comments here and elsewhere on social media.  

The hate this dude is getting seems like an insane overreaction by Bengals fans.  

He's not wowing anyone (i guess) with his leg but it seems like you can almost guarantee none of his punts are gonna be returned more than a handful of yards and mostly be a fair catch.  Isn't that the sort of reliability fans were clamoring for last year?  

If i do a search on the internet for Brad Robbins, I don't see one member of the press writing a negative article about him (or at all really).  This outrage seems limited to fans only.  

He's 3rd in the league on avg return yards...he's exactly what the Bengals drafted and now people seem to be upset.  I don't get it.  So if someone wants to break it down for me so I can get where y'all are coming from, I'm all ears (eyes).

Field position matters man. 

If a punt is kicked 60 yards and it''s returned for 20, that's a failure on the gunners and literally anyone else but the punter. 
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2023, 04:10 PM)TheCincinnatiKid Wrote: I do agree with this, but teams generally cannot afford to have a complete liability on special teams. Unfortunately Robbins has been pretty woeful. Hopefully he can turn it around, but these three games have been pretty bad and there won't be a lot of leash for a punter who struggles with punting the ball. We certainly may as well stick with him until any other option becomes reasonable. 

I mean, Chrisman and Araiza are both available if the team really wanted to pivot to someone else.
They have options.
But they invested a draft pick into a punter when most punters are UDFAs, so they probably don't want to throw away a draft pick so quickly even though this dude is "just" a 6th rounder.

I wonder if McPherson has the ability to also punt some when the Bengals need a long punt?
We know he has the leg to boom a kick, but I'm not sure if he has much punting experience.
Or if the Bengals could have the luxury to give up one O/D depth position in order to carry a 2nd punter who can boom, then they can bring in either Robbins or the other punter based on field positioning...
Really would hate to waste a spot on a 2nd punter though, but it's not impossible.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Remember he is a rookie. The leg strength issues will be something they probably just have to get through this year and see how he develops with a full NFL offseason to work on the power.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2023, 04:29 PM)NotBigzo Wrote: Field position matters man. 

If a punt is kicked 60 yards and it''s returned for 20, that's a failure on the gunners and literally anyone else but the punter. 

I’m not sure it’s the punters fault he’s been punting from his own 20 and 30 so much this season. :)

But ok, if that’s the entire reasoning then I get it. I don’t agree that’s all there is to it but it’s not really a battle I’m gonna be fighting.

If his punts start costing us games then I’ll be happy to come back to the conversation.
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2023, 04:25 PM)basballguy Wrote: I wasn't even paying attention to the punting game until I saw comments here and elsewhere on social media.  

Robbins punted the ball 5 times and only one was returned, for 3 yards (from the 5-yard line to the 8-yard line -- with so much hang time there was a defender that ran behind the punt returner in case he tried to let the ball go into the end zone, and there were two defenders right in front of him).

The Rams punter punted the ball 6 times and 4 were returned for an average return of 11 yards (and one for 19 yards). The Rams punter was booming the punts, for an average of 8 yards more per punt, but they were so far beyond their coverage team that Charlie Jones had plenty of space to return and might well have broken another long one (like the 81-yarder) given the space he had to manuver.

I think Robbins is doing exactly what he is being paid to do.
Reply/Quote

Lol dude, let's not conflate hate and objective criticism. 

Punter #1 - 47.8 Yards Per Punt, with a Net of 42.6 - 7 games (reg season only here)
Brad Robbins - 41.1 Yards Per Punt, with a Net of 38.8 - 3 games

Punter 1 is Drue Chrisman, who people weren't generally enamoured to start with. Heck, Robbins net is only a yard greater than Huber's was last year, when we all assumed he was 'washed'.

His net so far would've been good for bottom 6 last year... saved from being bottom 5 by well known punter Jake Elliott.

I think when the team drafts Robbins in the 6th and speaks well of him, you're hoping for a bit more than we've seen so far. But to be fair, I imagine he was drafted with the mindset that he'd be punting a little further up the field than he has been. There will be times though, maybe in the playoffs, we go 3 and out and we could use with the punter flipping the field. 

Very aware it's only been three games though, with one of those in a monsoon. Hoping we'll see him improve week by week.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2023, 02:47 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Bengals aren't going to keep cycling through punter after punter.
We gotta give these guys a chance to develop.

Bengals had to find a new punter with Huber nearing/hitting retirement.
Chrisman had a good leg, struggled with hangtime.
Robbins is supposed to have good hangtime, but he's not a boomer.

If Araiza is able to do both and everyone is comfortable with his off-field situation given he's been cleared of involvement, then they could give him a shot.
But we also should give Robbins more of a chance before throwing in the towel already.
It's been just 3 games.

I'm thinking that a guy who knows how to kick the ball far but not high is probably easier for him to learn than someone who can kick the ball high but not far. When you're a kid you try to kick the ball far, who the hell is trying to see who can kick it highest lol. I don't think Robbins has the physical tools to kick the ball far.

It would have been a good idea to use him anywhere between our 30 and 50, otherwise Mcpherson is trying to kick a FG. He can't kick far so he isn't useful anything behind our 30, and since Burrow is having trouble moving the ball, so it's not a good match; I think they thought Burrow would never get pinned back by our redzone so much. I thought we should have drafted Araiza because a combo of Araiza and Mcpherson is a scary special teams situation for teams. They have to deal with a healthy burrow, someone who can flip the field, and someone who can kick a 60 yarder on a good day. You pin Burrow back, Araiza punts them deep and the D gives them back the ball nearly in FG range lol.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2023, 12:35 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: Do bears sh*t in the woods?

I was prepared to say this, but apparently six whole hours after your bear had already shat.  
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
We're not at the "he's just a rookie" phase of bad. Getting an offseason of strength and conditioning isn't going to be able to change how weak this kid's leg is. It's not even like he's that young, either. He will be 25 next month, there's not going to be some great growth spurt.

His leg = Finley's arm

It is what it is, and no amount of strength and conditioning will make it NFL caliber.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2023, 07:51 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: It is what it is, and no amount of strength and conditioning will make it NFL caliber.

Better PEDs in the NFL
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
If the state found he couldn’t possibly have been involved in the rape, how is there a civil case still? It’s not like the state said they don’t think they can prove it beyond a reasonable doubt, they said it didn’t happen. Civil case seems frivolous. Sign him. (I’m going by what has been posted here so maybe I’m missing something)
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
He was fine, drop one inside 20, avg 42 with just 3 yards of return, he neutralized any run back
Reply/Quote
Robbins is terrible. Not at all what you expect when you use a draft pick on a punter.

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2023, 12:35 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: Do bears sh*t in the woods?

Dammit. I was gonna come in with "Do bears have a hairy ass?"

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
we should just start scoring instead of punting
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2023, 07:51 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: We're not at the "he's just a rookie" phase of bad. Getting an offseason of strength and conditioning isn't going to be able to change how weak this kid's leg is. It's not even like he's that young, either. He will be 25 next month, there's not going to be some great growth spurt.

His leg = Finley's arm

It is what it is, and no amount of strength and conditioning will make it NFL caliber.

Yup. Sayonara. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2023, 08:29 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: He was fine, drop one inside 20, avg 42 with just 3 yards of return, he neutralized any run back

lol. I knew you would be in this thread, disagreeing with the title. I absitively, posolutely KNEW you would. 

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2023, 09:01 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: lol. I knew you would be in this thread, disagreeing with the title. I absitively, posolutely KNEW you would. 

He’s literally the worst punter in the league.

[Image: F69kXG9WcAA2igD?format=png&name=large]

Reply/Quote