Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Do we need a new Punter?
(09-28-2023, 12:12 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: On the flip side, he has allowed 20 return yards on 18 punts. Only 6 punters have allowed fewer return yards, and none of them have punted more than 12 times. 

In terms of return yards per return, he is 4th in the league, in terms of return yards per punt, 3rd. 

He is not a field flipper. Never gonna be. In order for him to get longer, he is going to have to make some technique adjustments. Which will take time.  

But we clearly made the decision to sacrifice leg for hang time. This is what it looks like. 

That's the type of stat people use to make Mixon look good, he has 1000 yards (but on 1000 carries) lol
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2023, 04:30 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Yeah but our punter can't boom a punt period, you'll always get 33-41 yards out of him. 

That would be Incorrect i. 1st game he had a 55 and 46 yard kick, , I agree he does not have a consistent strong leg but he has done well enough On inside 20 and very good at having returns and no blocks, just 3 games in, need more time to really judge plus not much on the waiver wire. At bye week could be a tryout if bengals choose
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2023, 04:31 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: That's the type of stat people use to make Mixon look good, he has 1000 yards (but on 1000 carries) lol

Hey, I am not saying he is looking good. I am just saying he isn't allowing any returns. Which is true. 

In terms of net, there are 6 below him. That is not great. But he is a rookie 3 games in. Let's have a little patience. 
Reply/Quote
I wonder if anyone has taken the opportunity to look at Kevin Hubers career progression…..
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2023, 07:45 PM)basballguy Wrote: I wonder if anyone has taken the opportunity to look at Kevin Hubers career progression…..

Great point he finished with 37.3 , guess most would say cut him after 3 games too.
Reply/Quote
New guy is uninspiring. YES. Learning curve for NFL punter should be level of 1 out of 10 compared to any other position.
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2023, 08:52 PM)PDub80 Wrote: New guy is uninspiring. YES. Learning curve for NFL punter should be level of 1 out of 10 compared to any other position.

Even so, my instinct is to give it more time. Unless he is straight up losing us games I'd give him the whole season at least. And that matches the character of the organization. They don't like to make those changes mid-season, which makes them more attractive to all players. 

BTW, Jake Elliott is still kicking field goals for the Eagles right? He isn't a top 10 kicker or anything but he is good enough. 

Reply/Quote
I suppose the good news is he's just a rookie punter. It's not like the organization is locked in on a high draft pick with a pricey contract. They can move on from him relatively easy if they make that decision.
Reply/Quote
Yes, bring back Christman! AND, To think we could have drafted a decent TE instead of this guy.
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2023, 08:52 PM)PDub80 Wrote: New guy is uninspiring. YES. Learning curve for NFL punter should be level of 1 out of 10 compared to any other position.

I vote Ariza
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2023, 06:00 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: That would be Incorrect i. 1st game he had a 55 and 46 yard kick, , I agree he does not have a consistent strong leg but he has done well enough On inside 20 and very good at having returns and no blocks, just 3 games in, need more time to really judge plus not much on the waiver wire. At bye week could be a tryout if bengals choose

20 of the 30 qualified punters AVERAGE over 46 yards. (The 21st averages 45.9)

"Boomed" a 46 yard kick.

Hilarious

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2023, 09:12 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I suppose the good news is he's just a rookie punter. It's not like the organization is locked in on a high draft pick with a pricey contract. They can move on from him relatively easy if they make that decision.

Plus Huber was even worse as a rookie and ended up being our best Punter ever.

We will see on Robbins.
Reply/Quote
You know what i like to do when i have a championship caliber team? I like to keep running below average players out there at key positions and give them time to develop, like, a whole year or more cause you know, they're still young and stuff. 

I don't need to be actively trying to improve any position that needs it while i have a SB window open. Just stay the course and allow them to work it out and get better, in a few years or so...

Cause you know, some other guy at the same position wasn't the greatest a long time ago.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2023, 11:48 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: You know what i like to do when i have a championship caliber team? I like to keep running below average players out there at key positions and give them time to develop, like, a whole year or more cause you know, they're still young and stuff. 

I don't need to be actively trying to improve any position that needs it while i have a SB window open. Just stay the course and allow them to work it out and get better, in a few years or so...

Cause you know, some other guy at the same position wasn't the greatest a long time ago.

It seems to be really hard for some people to get away from that old way of thinking. A Super Bowl appearance and back-to-back AFC Championship games should = GOING ALL IN.

It’s the main reason I wasn’t crazy about this years draft class in general with picks like Murphy and Battle.

Reply/Quote
(09-29-2023, 11:22 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Plus Huber was even worse as a rookie and ended up being our best Punter ever.

We will see on Robbins.
Ima go with Pat McInally. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-30-2023, 12:33 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Ima go with Pat McInally. 

Huber, then Lee Johnson
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Huber and Robbins are two different players. The argument: "I guess people didn't look at the previous guys career" is lazy.
Reply/Quote
If the guy has a strong enough leg to get 5 second hang time, then he can kick it far as well. He just needs to figure out the trajectory and get the timing down.
Reply/Quote
Who cares if he’s a rookie? There’s nothing different. It’s not like adjusting to the speed and the strength of all the players. He doesn’t go against anyone, and he played at Michigan. 100,000 plus fans. College playoffs last year.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(09-28-2023, 07:03 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Hey, I am not saying he is looking good. I am just saying he isn't allowing any returns. Which is true. 

In terms of net, there are 6 below him. That is not great. But he is a rookie 3 games in. Let's have a little patience. 

I clamor for average people to be replaced on our team, but it's not that easy; so if we have a player that is near worst in the league in something I won't give them much time. Now as a rookie you're right, he may be dealing with anxiety or something, those 30 yard shanks happen but so early on in his career could be concerning lol. We need his net to be at least average or he spells trouble. We haven't seen his directionality or pinning work yet because Burrow can't cross the 40 sometimes lol. Imagine a position like this that you usually don't think will affect the game to the point you may lose it causes us to miss out on the playoffs or lose a playoff game lol.

We don't have to imagine too hard because Chrissman helped lose us the AFC-C game when he was asked to punt the ball out of bounds and either disregarded or couldn't. That really hurts, you're on a 11+ win game win streak and everyone is playing at a high level and then your punter is part of a play that ends the season. I don't see Robbins going away from that path, he's on the same path.

I think Robbins net in college was significantly higher, like 44? That looks a lot better than 38.9 lol. His last year in college he had zero punts for touchbacks (either he can't reach the endzone or he was not trying to). 16 punts within the 20. He's had 1 TB so far.

If he can get his net to 44 again he'll be in top 8 in the league which is worth his draft pick. That is who we drafted not this guy from the first 3 games.
Reply/Quote