Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do we need a safety net for Eifert?
Obviously he's a top 3 TE when healthy but if we are going to keep him around I think we need a 2nd capable TE much like Martelus Bennet for the Pats. I'm not convinced Kroft or Uzomah are can play that role.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2017, 11:29 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: Obviously he's a top 3 TE when healthy but if we are going to keep him around I think we need a 2nd capable TE much like Martelus Bennet for the Pats. I'm not convinced Kroft or Uzomah are can play that role.

Maybe not a full net, but some sort of bubble wrap would probably help him.

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

Reply/Quote
You seen those plastic bubble deals that folks roll over hills in?  That's what he needs......

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2017, 11:32 PM)Wyche Wrote: You seen those plastic bubble deals that folks roll over hills in?  That's what he needs......

It's truly a travesty that we have no sort of  professional Bubble Ball Triathlon league.  Land race, sea race, and some sort of obstacle course/demo derby! 

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

Reply/Quote
I doubt the team is ready to part ways with Kroft or Uzomah. I really like what I've seen from Uzomah.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2017, 11:29 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: Obviously he's a top 3 TE when healthy but if we are going to keep him around I think we need a 2nd capable TE much like Martelus Bennet for the Pats. I'm not convinced Kroft or Uzomah are can play that role.

I agree.  Maybe Uzoma has a shot.  With Kroft, how do you know?  He's always injured too.  If it's me, I proceed like Eifert won't be available and act accordingly, so I won't be caught with my pants down.  They were trying to do that when they drafted the other two but it hasn't quite worked out, at least not yet.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Kroft has also been injured a lot and Uzomah drops a lot of balls.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2017, 11:47 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I doubt the team is ready to part ways with Kroft or Uzomah.  I really like what I've seen from Uzomah.

10 games, 8 starts
25 catches/234 yards (9.4 AVG)/1 TD
A lot of drops.

That's his second year in the NFL. I give him a big 'ol meh.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote

would love jake butt if he falls due to his injury a legit all around tight end. if he falls to us in 3rd pull the trigger.
Reply/Quote
And...in the 3rd or 4th round, I give you Cole Hikutini.......

Reply/Quote
I think they need more than a safety net because I don't see how they give Eifert a big deal to stay. Since being drafted the guy has missed 43% of regular season games. How do you make him part of your plans when he is unavailable almost half the time?
Reply/Quote
I said in another thread that the Bengals next TE needs to have a bit more TE and a bit less WR in him. Not everyone is going to be Gronk, that is the best at both, but the Bengals have three that all struggle in blocking. Jake Butt is supposed to be a very complete TE. Fits our team perfectly because you could probably get him for a later pick, put him on IR, and have him ready for next year.

If he goes on IR, you don't have to make a decision on Kroft, Uzo, or Eifert because with Hewitt just re-signed, they would likely have to let one go but at least this way they have a year to work on that. Maybe Eifert gets the franchise tag? Replace him with Butt a year later?
Reply/Quote
If I was ranking needs TE would be somewhere around the 8t/9thh most pressing need i.e. not going to be addressed in the draft. We have a whole stable of young guys plus Ryan Hewitt who can swing out and play TE. We have more pressing needs than using a pick on a TE. All the best TE's in the league get hurt, that has just kind of become the norm so we need to accept it.
Reply/Quote

I don't think so. Uzo played very well and if given more time he should really come into his own. Kroft while he might not be as athletic as the 2 does what he is supposed to. It would be nice to see him involved more in the passing game, but I think you can get a decent amount of production from Uzo should Eifert get hurt again.
Reply/Quote
We should look at Tight End U and go with the next kid coming out, George Kittle from Iowa.
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
Martellus Bennett and Jermaine Gresham are both free agents...
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2017, 12:19 AM)Joelist Wrote: Kroft has also been injured a lot and Uzomah drops a lot of balls.

(01-06-2017, 01:30 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: 10 games, 8 starts
25 catches/234 yards (9.4 AVG)/1 TD
A lot of drops.

That's his second year in the NFL. I give him a big 'ol meh.

1 drop.

HTTPs://www.sportingcharts.com/NFL/stats/drops/2016

I know, the Pittsburgh game, but:

#1. Only one ball was TRULY dropped the others were bad throws with a slippery ball.
#2. EVERYONE was dropping balls in that first half, on both teams.

Nice try.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2017, 10:32 AM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: We should look at Tight End U and go with the next kid coming out, George Kittle from Iowa.

I didn't know Notre Dame was now called Iowa...
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2017, 09:22 AM)Au165 Wrote: If I was ranking needs TE would be somewhere around the 8t/9thh most pressing need i.e. not going to be addressed in the draft. We have a whole stable of young guys plus Ryan Hewitt who can swing out and play TE. We have more pressing needs than using a pick on a TE. All the best TE's in the league get hurt, that has just kind of become the norm so we need to accept it.

This.

It sucks Eifert is hurt so much, but it is what it is. I doubt fans in NE bash Gronk like our fans do to "Mr. Glass."

Reply/Quote
What  racket the TE position must be..They want an offensive  lineman that can play WR.. OR a WR who can play  offensive lineman. Personally I wouldn't want to do it, but then again I never could catch a football very well and definitely not big enough to block defensive linemen. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote