Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Do we pass up drafting a QB in this years draft?
(12-27-2017, 03:59 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Easily. And it's not even close.

Granted, Jackson does have some issues as well. He does have accuracy issues early in some games and has to "get hot/get into a rhythm".

But he was also his team's entire offense and got little help.

Over the last 2 years, his receivers have dropped 67 passes. His passes are dropped 8.5% this year.

Here are some comparable stats:

Jackson's passes are dropped 8.5% of the time. Josh Allen? 4.8%

Under pressure, Jackson has a QB rating of 92.6.
Josh Allen has a QB rating of 56.1.

Even with the dropped passes, Jackson has a higher completion percentage than Allen. Along with 12 more passing touchdowns. They both had 6 INTs though.

It wouldn't be fair to Allen to throw in Jackson's rushing ability, to be honest.
Jackson in the 4th round?
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2017, 11:26 AM)Sweetness Wrote: This. I didn't watch him much at all outside of his bowl game, where he looked exceedingly average. Looks like a kid who is still living off a good sophomore season and then regressed his Junior year. A QB in a terrible conference with 56% completion rating? Are you kidding me people? Did you guys even look up this kids stats this year? He wasn't good at all. If you are a top QB you carry your team to a good record, see Big Ben at Miami. He can't even carry his team to wins in a terrible conference but we think he's going to somehow carry us to a super bowl? 

This is spot on.

Why are we high on this Wyoming kid? **** him, he stinks.

If we are going to draft a QB he better be a STUD from college. Cam Newton/Deshaun Watson type... anything less aint worth it with how this team is currently built.

We need a guy who can carry an entire offense. Andy isn't that guy necessarily, but the kid from Wyoming certainly isn't.

If you want to get away from the Game Manager type, then so be it, but don't ditch our vet Game Manager for a noob version.
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2017, 03:48 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Correct. But 6 of those 7 Super Bowl winning quarterbacks were drafted from 1999-2008.
There's been only one Super Bowl winning quarterback drafted since 2009, and that was in the 3rd round.

A consistent: 2012 was the ONLY year since 2003 where we didn't have a Super Bowl that has Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, or Big Ben playing in it.

Exactly.  It also shows that it may take some time for your 1st round guy to actually get acclimated and get a team built around him to be a consistent winner.
Reply/Quote
Josh Allen is the LAST QB that I want in the first round. MAYBE I would take a flyer in the 2nd, but you can't fix a 55% passer. You can't make all these changes to him and expect it to work out.

Sure, he's got a big arm, but so have many others.
Reply/Quote
I think new Coach roles with Dalton as the starter to start the season... But we most likely draft a QB to develop and potential Heir Apparent...

I think Round 1 you gotta go OL... Then maybe if we want for that 5th year option package some comp picks with the 2nd to come back in and get a QB towards the end of the round if there are still names worthy of doing so.
Reply/Quote
I personally like Mayfield and if he lasted to us, I’d jump on it. He reminds me of Russell Wilson and he had a ton of swagger. Something that Howdy Doody lacks
Reply/Quote
I'm all for it but I don't want gruden lite as our head coach. Nor do I want some guy that's been fired 20 times. Looking at you Jeff fisher. I'd kill for a zimmer type guy again with an offensive mind that doesn't take any shit. I'm tired of hearing we did some good things out there and eye rolls when we screw up followed by clap clap clap which is as bad as the std
Reply/Quote
Sure. If you can grab Jackson you grab Jackson. It instantly helps our line situation.

Reply/Quote
(12-27-2017, 11:50 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: Sure. If you can grab Jackson you grab Jackson. It instantly helps our line situation.

Until Mike Mitchell pulverizes Jackson's bones into powder.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2017, 10:27 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Since 2009, only 5 quarterbacks drafted in the first 2 rounds have won a playoff game. Only one of them is currently a starter in the NFL; Cam Newton.
The other 4 are Mark Sanchez, Tim Tebow, Colin Kaepernick, and Andrew Luck.

No quarterback drafted from 2013 on has won a playoff game as a starter.

Drafting a quarterback does not automatically fix everything and get us over he hump.

Is it possible? Absolutely. But it's not as cut and dry as fans like to believe.

Well fuking said.

This thread is for the delusional.  Fix the coaches and the lines then worry about the fugging QB.

ANDY IS NOT THE PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2017, 12:15 AM)Stewy Wrote: Well fuking said.

This thread is for the delusional.  Fix the coaches and the lines then worry about the fugging QB.

He's not the problem.  But this year, you can't take QB off your first round board.  Don't reach but be open to it if there is one at the top of your board when the time comes.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(12-27-2017, 07:59 PM)Captain Happy Pants Wrote: I personally like Mayfield and if he lasted to us, I’d jump on it. He reminds me of Russell Wilson and he had a ton of swagger. Something that Howdy Doody lacks

And before Andy it was Mr. laid back California dude. I’m ready for a QB with some swagger and leadership abilities.

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2017, 12:01 AM)Big Boss Wrote: Until Mike Mitchell pulverizes Jackson's bones into powder.
[Image: 636375423241266651-LouisvilleMediaTDE020.jpg]

Yeah that could  happen.

But maybe not.

"Mute" is better

Reply/Quote
We as fans gotta kill emotion and the past. The job of the FO is to forget excuses and put thus team in position to draft the right players. That means that if the FA OL are bad you trade a mid rounder or AJ if possible for a starter. You need at least a B grade starter and a fringe guy bare minimum.

Ordinarily you cant depend on a rookie to start but, we expect them to take one in the first two rounds and start them. So, if a QB is a game changer where they're at and the new coach isn't sold on Andy (if Mikey allows the coach any real input) then so be it.

Even if they really like a young QB he may not be there, so if anything maybe they land the best OL in the 1st and get a guy they liked in the 2nd. Bottom line is I wouldn't plan to take one but if you really think a star is there at the pick..you better have improved the OL to make that pick. I don't want an excuse of why you took or passed on that player.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2017, 12:20 AM)McC Wrote: He's not the problem.  But this year, you can't take QB off your first round board.  Don't reach but be open to it if there is one at the top of your board when the time comes.

We've got several receivers showing signs of improvement... so we draft Ross and all the injury concerns that go alone with him because we were open to something we didn't need. We followed it up with a runningback we didn't really need.

In 2016, we've got CBs who can't get enough playing time... so we draft an IR bound corner, and a receiver.

2015, we've got a top 10 NFL tackle... we take two tackles inatead of resigning one of the league's best.

2014, more corners and RBs.

2013, RB and TE.

We've got areas of need on this team. Our approach of taking injured guys at positions we don't need hasn't been great. They either stay injured or don't get enough playing time to develop. We don't need a QB, we don't need a receiver, we don't need a RB. We don't need a CB. What we need is OL and DL. If Tom Brady 2.0 is there, I don't want him. It's irrelevant behind this line.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2017, 12:15 AM)Stewy Wrote: Well fuking said.

If you like losing wildcards games, hes grand. 
Reply/Quote
I forget what former coach said it (might've been Gruden or Dungy) but it fits the Bengals situation:

"Drafting a quarterback is like looking for a new job....the best time to do it is when you don't absolutely have to."
Reply/Quote
Unlike some, I'm not going to pretend Dalton has been terrible all along because he's having a down year. He did have a weak year though, for sure. Tbh, I'm not sure if Dalton is bengalized, or if a solid line (not great - just not piss awful) and some good coaching will get him back to a high level. Because of that uncertainty, I'm okay with whatever the next HC decides to do. Keep Dalton and beef up the lines? I'm cool with that. Draft Baker Mayfield and beef up the lines? I'm good with that too.

Just fix the $#%@ line, coaching and FO and maybe we won't have to hope for getting the next Peyton Manning in the draft (a guy capable of overcoming everything). Those odds are incredibly slim. I guess they're slightly better than this FO ever figuring anything out though. Sorry I'm beyond jaded with the cluster____ of ineptitude, and I'm also a bit sick of people falling for the ol' "scapegoat a player" bit. This franchise sucks, and it often brings out the worst in players, not the best.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2017, 12:20 AM)McC Wrote: He's not the problem.  But this year, you can't take QB off your first round board.  Don't reach but be open to it if there is one at the top of your board when the time comes.

If he's not the problem then you can't waste a 1st rnd pick on a QB - simple as that.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2017, 01:07 AM)ah5 Wrote: If you like losing wildcards games, hes grand. 

Are you this clueless as to the state of the team or is it a natural state?
Reply/Quote