Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do we tank this game vs New Orleans?
(11-06-2018, 04:31 PM)Millhouse Wrote: I don't even agree with tanking to get the number 1 pick.

The only time it is acceptable, imo, to tank a game, or at least sit the starters on purpose, is the last game of the season after making the playoffs, and that game won't have any bearing on the playoff spot. 

Another hypothetical scenario:

We have a week 17 matchup with the Ravens. If they win, they are in and Steelers are out. If they lose, Steelers are in and they are out. We have a crummy record so we are out of the playoffs either way. 

Do you tank?
Reply/Quote
I could maybe see pulling guys that are a little banged up in the second half if they’re down by 21 at halftime but no way do you ever lay down at the beginning of any game. Turnovers can keep any team with lesser talent close.
Reply/Quote
The most prolific passer in NFL history versus a defense on pace to be the worst in NFL history.

I don't think "tanking" is even really in the equation and anyone suggesting otherwise is just trying to preemptively excuse the almighty buttwhooping Brees is going to put on this D.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2018, 04:43 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: I could maybe see pulling guys that are a little banged up in the second half if they’re down by 21 at halftime but no way do you ever lay down at the beginning of any game. Turnovers can keep any team with lesser talent close.

No doubt, if it's 45-14 starting the 4th qtr pull the starters, yes.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Dumbest thing ever...
Reply/Quote
Mo Eggar has no credibility
say his name.
sounds like a forgotten character in Star Wars
stupidest thing Ive heard since Hue Jackson claimed he was a genius OC
Reply/Quote
I dont think we tank. But not confident we win either.

Reply/Quote
(11-06-2018, 04:48 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: No doubt, if it's 45-14 starting the 4th qtr pull the starters, yes.

Everyone on here is gonna get a surprise because the Bengals are gonna play well!
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2018, 04:40 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Another hypothetical scenario:

We have a week 17 matchup with the Ravens. If they win, they are in and Steelers are out. If they lose, Steelers are in and they are out. We have a crummy record so we are out of the playoffs either way. 

Do you tank?

[Image: giphy.gif]
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
The concept of tanking for picks is ridiculous.

The concept of tanking so players can rest of hoping to beat another opponent, is even worse.

The game of Football is so many little mathematical equations. It is far more than what my wife assumes is large men hitting each other for millions. Weather. Home base. Momentum. Injuries. Everything is a factor that you cannot equate for. Every game is ABSOLUTELY winnable (yes, including the disastrous KC game).

Walking into a game hoping to lose or playing less effort so you can prepare for another team is a LOSERS mentality. Something I'll never be okay with.

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
I think the Bengals have as good a chance to pull the upset, as any team. Saints just left a ton of emotion on the field, in holding off the Rams on Sunday. They'll be due for a bit of a letdown.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2018, 05:14 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Mo Eggar has no credibility
say his name.
sounds like a forgotten character in Star Wars

There is no such thing as a forgotten Star Wars character...those crazy fans have memorized every life-form in that stupid galaxy.
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2018, 05:37 PM)Millhouse Wrote: [Image: giphy.gif]

You read my mind, Herm. 

Pulling a stunt like that would be the textbook definition of bad optics.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
Of course they aren't going to tank nor should they. I wouldn't mind seeing some unorthodox plays though. Stuff they haven't ran before, flea flicker, halfback option, etc. Perhaps go for it on 4th and short around midfield?
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2018, 05:37 PM)Millhouse Wrote: [Image: giphy.gif]

O/T, but I miss when we had coaches who were interesting characters. Herm, Rex Ryan, Billick, Denny Green (RIP), Jim Mora and even the chin. Coaches seem so bland these days. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2018, 04:40 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Another hypothetical scenario:

Do you tank?

I would. The Steelers could use some despair and futility in their lives.

As to tanking against NO - noooo way.
Reply/Quote
No team should ever do this, or think this way. It goes to the heart of the game.
Reply/Quote
[Image: how-about-no-30981676.png]
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2018, 02:01 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: O/T, but I miss when we had coaches who were interesting characters. Herm, Rex Ryan, Billick, Denny Green (RIP), Jim Mora and even the chin. Coaches seem so bland these days. 

It's why ASU is going to be gangbusters soon. I love Herm.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2018, 12:01 PM)Wilikn Wrote: If the Bengals, Titans, and Dolphins all tie at 9-7 (Ravens and Jags are very unlikely), the DOLPHINS would win that tie breaker.  Since none of the three has a sweep over the other, the next tie break is AFC record and the Dolphins likely have the best of the three.  It is unsafe to think the tie-break is a lock.  The Titans win last night was not good news.

Historically (in most every sport but especially football) teams coming off of huge home wins play down the following week on the road.  That'd describe the Saints.  Same Saints lost to the Buccs.  Same Saints needed Justin Tucker to shank an extra point to beat the Ravens.    Same Saints needed a bunch of kicking gaffs to beat the Underwear Stains.  

The Saints are not unbeatable on the road with or without a team's best WR.  The Bengals are five point underdogs, not 15.

Playoff outlook, yeah this game means the least of all the remaining games.  It is really a bonus game.  You don't turn down the extra credit though.  Not when this game means the same lesser amount to the Saints.  Grabbing that 10th win is one heck of a hedge.  

Overall outlook, the Bengals will (likely) be favorites in four remaining games.  Stains twice, Raiders, and Broncos.  I'm also looking at week 17.  It isn't crazy to see the Chiefs, Pats, and Texans all at 12 wins or more.  Gonna be really hard for the Steelers to reach 12-3-1.  Very possible they are at week 17, with nothing to play for locked in the 4th seed, while staring at a 1st round game against the Chargers the next week.  That could end up the biggest gimme of the bunch.

Summary, root hard against the Dolphins, Titans, and Ravens.  Steelers losses are good.  Pats, Chiefs, and Texans wins are good.  This assumes catching Pitt for the division is a pipe dream.. and it is.

Our Bungles are an 8 and 8 team,live with it.Remember,we have marvin lewis and this goofy coaching staff,who will not admit they are just awlful against top talent. The saints will embarrass this organization, and shane Peyton their coach will just super out coach marvin and the beat goes on.Its time to think about your christman presents and the big turkey you are going to buy.We have a big turkey in marvin lewis who treats the press terrible. another huge loss for giggles and company. Someone please buy this franchise and turn it into respectable. Sad Cry
Reply/Quote