Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do we tank this game vs New Orleans?
(11-06-2018, 04:40 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Another hypothetical scenario:

We have a week 17 matchup with the Ravens. If they win, they are in and Steelers are out. If they lose, Steelers are in and they are out. We have a crummy record so we are out of the playoffs either way. 

Do you tank?

How about this hypothetical:

You’re won the division and you’re playing the Jets week 17.

If you tank they back into the 6 spot and you play them again in the wildcard game.

What do you do?

Oh that happened already and the bengals lost anyways. Nvm
Reply/Quote
Mo is strictly a shock jock. He says ignorant things all of the time and this is just another example.

Our main competition for the final playoff spot is Miami, Baltimore, and Tennessee. Miami still has New England, Green Bay and Minnesota on their schedule. I would think 9-7 is about the best they can hope for. Baltimore still has Kansas City and the Chargers. 9-7 is about the best they can hope for. Tennessee has the easiest road of the 3 and still has New England and Houston. 10-6 is probably the best they finish, but I think they split with Indianapolis and end up at 9-7.

If we match our first half record, we'd end 10-6 and that should get us in the playoffs. That may even have a chance at the division. Pittsburgh still has Carolina, Chargers, New England, and New Orleans to go. To go 5-3 down the stretch, we have to win the games we should win which would be Cleveland x2, Oakland, and Denver. I'm not saying any of those teams are pushovers, but those are games we should win. To get to 10, we need to take one more from New Orleans, Baltimore, Chargers, or Pittsburgh. That's why this game matters and you don't tank. We still control our own destiny to the playoffs and division. If Pittsburgh loses tomorrow and we win Sunday, we're back atop the AFCN.

I know we're all doom and gloom and there's plenty of reason for that. Our top offensive weapon is out, our defense is a joke, and we're on a bit of a downward trend. However, we're not out of this at all. We pull off an unexpected win or two and win when we should, we're int he thick of things. We have some players coming back this week and we'll have more coming back down the stretch. There is a chance we could actually be hitting our stride at the right time this season. I don't expect a W on Sunday, but we have a chance. We only have that chance if our starters are on the field though. If they could somehow steal a win this Sunday, imagine the boost that gives them heading into 2 division games. If they beat New Orleans, there's a chance to go on a run and be 9-3 when we play the Chargers.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2018, 11:37 AM)muskiesfan Wrote: Mo is strictly a shock jock. He says ignorant things all of the time and this is just another example.

Our main competition for the final playoff spot is Miami, Baltimore, and Tennessee. Miami still has New England, Green Bay and Minnesota on their schedule. I would think 9-7 is about the best they can hope for. Baltimore still has Kansas City and the Chargers. 9-7 is about the best they can hope for. Tennessee has the easiest road of the 3 and still has New England and Houston. 10-6 is probably the best they finish, but I think they split with Indianapolis and end up at 9-7.

If we match our first half record, we'd end 10-6 and that should get us in the playoffs. That may even have a chance at the division. Pittsburgh still has Carolina, Chargers, New England, and New Orleans to go. To go 5-3 down the stretch, we have to win the games we should win which would be Cleveland x2, Oakland, and Denver. I'm not saying any of those teams are pushovers, but those are games we should win. To get to 10, we need to take one more from New Orleans, Baltimore, Chargers, or Pittsburgh. That's why this game matters and you don't tank. We still control our own destiny to the playoffs and division. If Pittsburgh loses tomorrow and we win Sunday, we're back atop the AFCN.

I know we're all doom and gloom and there's plenty of reason for that. Our top offensive weapon is out, our defense is a joke, and we're on a bit of a downward trend. However, we're not out of this at all. We pull off an unexpected win or two and win when we should, we're int he thick of things. We have some players coming back this week and we'll have more coming back down the stretch. There is a chance we could actually be hitting our stride at the right time this season. I don't expect a W on Sunday, but we have a chance. We only have that chance if our starters are on the field though. If they could somehow steal a win this Sunday, imagine the boost that gives them heading into 2 division games. If they beat New Orleans, there's a chance to go on a run and be 9-3 when we play the Chargers.
Reps to you!!
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2018, 11:37 AM)muskiesfan Wrote: Mo is strictly a shock jock. He says ignorant things all of the time and this is just another example.

Good post brother.

As a side note, the Bengals will be wearing orange jerseys with black pants this Sunday. They are undefeated in that combo (6-0)...so that's gotta mean an upset victory, right? Big Grin
Reply/Quote
We won't purposefully tank, but it will look like it.
Reply/Quote
Dre Kirkpatrick on playing the Saints: “We gotta show up. Can’t go out there and s*** down our pants.”
Reply/Quote
Man, I hope they don't tank. I'll be there sunday and want to see a good showing from our beat up team. AJ being out sucks though.
Reply/Quote
Never ever tank a game.

Besides, the Saints’ defense isn’t exactly impenetrable.
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2018, 08:57 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: Of course they aren't going to tank nor should they. I wouldn't mind seeing some unorthodox plays though. Stuff they haven't ran before, flea flicker, halfback option, etc. Perhaps go for it on 4th and short around midfield?

What????  That would be like so 2000's of them!!!!  No way we get that risque!!  That would be like asking Mike Brown if you could order something not on the dollar menu.
Reply/Quote

Wish I could rep this twice
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2018, 05:18 PM)bengalhoel Wrote: What????  That would be like so 2000's of them!!!!  No way we get that risque!!  That would be like asking Mike Brown if you could order something not on the dollar menu.

Intriguing game really. While Saints have been good on the road so far, it's gonna be pretty cold Sunday, plus it's a classic trap game after a big home victory last week. On the other hand we could completely suck and lay down like the doormat we were in Kansas City. But even more likely from knowing our Bengals, they give us the worst thing we could have...hope! They come out hot and dominate the first half, and we get all warm and fuzzy all over. But then, in another Bengal tradition, we play not to lose and Drew Brees warms up and rolls us in the 4th quarter. But, I'll keep hoping we put together a complete game and take one huge step towards (dare I say it?) the playoffs! Who Dey! ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
Dez is going to be the Corey Dillon of the Saints. Getting a free ride to the super bowl.
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2018, 05:53 PM)Bengalsrob Wrote: Intriguing game really. While Saints have been good on the road so far, it's gonna be pretty cold Sunday, plus it's a classic trap game after a big home victory last week. On the other hand we could completely suck and lay down like the doormat we were in Kansas City. But even more likely from knowing our Bengals, they give us the worst thing we could have...hope! They come out hot and dominate the first half, and we get all warm and fuzzy all over. But then, in another Bengal tradition, we play not to lose and Drew Brees warms up and rolls us in the 4th quarter. But, I'll keep hoping we put together a complete game and take one huge step towards (dare I say it?) the playoffs! Who Dey! ThumbsUp

This is my fear as well. We'll play with them in the first half, perhaps even be in the lead a bit.

Then we'll pull our 3rd qtr. disappearing offense act and New Orleans will pull to far ahead for us to overcome it. 2.5 points in the 3rd isn't going to cut it against the big boys.
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2018, 05:53 PM)Bengalsrob Wrote: Intriguing game really. While Saints have been good on the road so far, it's gonna be pretty cold Sunday, plus it's a classic trap game after a big home victory last week. On the other hand we could completely suck and lay down like the doormat we were in Kansas City. But even more likely from knowing our Bengals, they give us the worst thing we could have...hope! They come out hot and dominate the first half, and we get all warm and fuzzy all over. But then, in another Bengal tradition, we play not to lose and Drew Brees warms up and rolls us in the 4th quarter. But, I'll keep hoping we put together a complete game and take one huge step towards (dare I say it?) the playoffs! Who Dey! ThumbsUp

We can only hope the Saints play down to our level. he! :drool:
Reply/Quote
HELL NO!

You don't tank a game. The Bengals arent' good enough to have that sort of approach. I remember many weeks ago, they were told they had no chance to beat the Falcons. Well what happened? The Saints are a good team but dammit, The Bengals aren't exactly chopped liver. They are highly paid professionals and I expect them to go out and freaking compete.

How about this for a scenario:
Let's say the Bengals win vs the Saints and then beat Baltimore again?

I know I'd be a much happier fan.
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2018, 11:30 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I was listening to Mo Egger yesterday and he was talking about just tanking vs New Orleans. Basically, we have no shot of winning, and with Baltimore coming up the following week, we should not risk Dalton, Mixon or any of our other major players getting injured for a lost cause of a game.

He went through the AFC wild card contenders as such:

Miami is 5-4 with the Packers, Patriots and Vikings remaining on their schedule, so their best case scenario is probably 9-7 (and we own the tie breaker).
No other contenders in the East.

The Titans and Jags are a hot mess and he doesn't believe the Titans will go 5-3 to end their season to end on 9-7.
The Jags would need to end 6-2 to even have a shot at the wild card at 9-7.

The Chargers have probably already secured a playoff spot at 6-2. And there is no other competition in the AFC West for a playoff seed.

So that leaves Baltimore, sitting at 4-5. They'd need to go 5-2 in the remainder of their season to even get to 9-7.

So he's saying, if we can ignore New Orleans, count it as a loss, rest all of your starters and go into Baltimore healthy and rested (who are coming off of a bye anyway) we have hand them their 6th loss, putting them at 4-6 and then they'd need to finish 5-1 to even make 9-7. And, in the case that they did, we would only need to go 3-3 (6-4 after losing to NO and winning vs Baltimore) in our final 6 games to guarantee a playoff spot, since beating Baltimore would give us the head to head tie breaker.

The odds of going 3-3 against the Browns, Broncos, Raiders, Chargers, Browns and Steelers is, in his opinion, a pretty good bet. And that'd only be necessary if one of those teams did end at 9-7, as we'd win any tiebreaker at 8-8 if none made it to 9-7.

What are your guys' thoughts on his opinion of the playoff outlook and whether or not to tank the New Orleans game?

I get what Mo is saying, probably somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but you can't simply turn on and turn off your effort.  This team needs to find their "ON" button and find it now.  

New Orleans isn't unbeatable.  They are really tough at home and average on the road.  

The Bengals have the ability.  They just need to have the attitude.  Come out firing like the Ravens and Bucs games but keep your damn foot on the gas.  This team hasn't had ONE complete game this season.  When you have the ability to flat out dominate a team like the ratbirds, you can dominate anyone, but if your coaches don't have the aggression to squeeze the last bit of life out of them when you have them down it is not going to be a victory against the Saints.  It will take their best four quarters.

And should they pull off the win, they might FINALLY have the confidence to play with some passion the rest of the year.  Remember, the Saints D was pathetic (like ours!) early in the year, but they made some moves and changes (what a concept) and they are playing very well of late.

There is still hope for this team, but it lies on the coaches to change their stripes.  Tanking would be consistent with our panty-waste methods of the current season. 
Reply/Quote
I wish they would come out and say that they tanked that game vs KC
Reply/Quote
Tank ?

No, absolutely not !

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2018, 01:17 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Good post brother.

As a side note, the Bengals will be wearing orange jerseys with black pants this Sunday. They are undefeated in that combo (6-0)...so that's gotta mean an upset victory, right? Big Grin

Well there goes that record ...

[Image: giphy.gif]

Note the orange and black stripes... Ninja
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2018, 05:59 PM)BengalYankee Wrote: Well there goes that record ...

[Image: giphy.gif]

Note the orange and black stripes... Ninja

Dude in the background low-key looks like Vanilla Ice.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote