Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To Eifert or Not to Eifert in the Offseason...that is the question...
(09-25-2017, 09:33 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I compare Eifert to Ladarius Green, only Ladarius Green also had to play second fiddle to Antonio Gates while in SD.
The Steelers offered Ladarius Green a 4-year, $20 million deal, and then subsequently cut him after one year because he couldn't stay healthy.
I can easily see Eifert getting $5 mill per year from some team willing and able to take such a gamble.

Jordan Cameron is another guy that was really talented then kept getting injured.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2017, 01:10 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Keep him if possible, but getting a quality starter tight end should be a priority over all else (in regards to the tight end position).

TE is a distant 3rd priority behind 1: The dumpster fire we know as th o line, and 2: The twin dumpster fires known as Marvin Lewis and Paul Alexander. Fixing TE before addressing either is a waste of time.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2017, 09:38 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Jordan Cameron is another guy that was really talented then kept getting injured.

Yea. It's a risk-filled position. That's why I'd prefer the team focus on Green, the running game, and WR2. I'd have no issue deemphasizing the TE position from an dependence POV.
As it stands though, the Bengals don't have any other receiving threats besides Green until Ross comes back. Core has been a nonfactor, only being targeted twice in the first game and none the past two. Malone has been inactive all games and needs more grooming. Boyd and LaFell are fourth options at best.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Eifert. Just don't overpay. He's hurt more than half the time.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2017, 11:41 AM)GreenDragon Wrote: Eifert. Just don't overpay. He's hurt more than half the time.

Then he's occupying a roster spot for a majority of games where he's useless. The Bengals don't have a good enough roster to justify using a spot for a player who hardly ever plays due to injury.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Well Arizona has a tough as nails TE that battled through injured ribs last night to haul in 5 catches and help in the blocking game. He will be a FA next year,
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
1 year no more than $2,000,000 contract. Otherwise draft Mike Gesicki from Penn State.

Sent from my Google Pixel using Tapatalk
[Image: Untitleddfcopycopycopycopy_zps872b23c3.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2017, 10:02 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Yea. It's a risk-filled position. That's why I'd prefer the team focus on Green, the running game, and WR2. I'd have no issue deemphasizing the TE position from an dependence POV.
As it stands though, the Bengals don't have any other receiving threats besides Green until Ross comes back. Core has been a nonfactor, only being targeted twice in the first game and none the past two. Malone has been inactive all games and needs more grooming. Boyd and LaFell are fourth options at best.

Interesting thing I've read on OJ Howard in Tampa Bay. The Bucs rotate him with Cameron Brate. Brate is used for pass catching. Howard is the blocking TE.

I expect his role to expand...but TE is just a crazy position.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2017, 11:46 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Then he's occupying a roster spot for a majority of games where he's useless. The Bengals don't have a good enough roster to justify using a spot for a player who hardly ever plays due to injury.

I'd rather use that money on a Center or Guard.

Injuries are going to diminish his skills if it hasn't already.

The Bengals have never been creative in figuring out ways to use a TE anyways. They use them essentially as a glorified 3rd Tackle.
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2017, 07:18 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: So what your saying is the Bengals will actually sign him to an extension at the end of the year and massively over-pay. Would just be a Bengal kinda move...let Whit and Zeitler walk then turn around and over-pay the walking MASH unit.  

Lol no, that's not what I'm saying. I think Eifert is most likely gone (barring him being healthy the rest of the season), and the only shot he has at coming back is if it's a short term bargain contract with very little guaranteed. Even then, if he keeps missing games in 2017, I think the Bengals will just part ways.

(09-25-2017, 09:33 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I compare Eifert to Ladarius Green, only Ladarius Green also had to play second fiddle to Antonio Gates while in SD.
The Steelers offered Ladarius Green a 4-year, $20 million deal, and then subsequently cut him after one year because he couldn't stay healthy.
I can easily see Eifert getting $5 mill per year from some team willing and able to take such a gamble.

Fair comparison and fair contract. Keep in mind that Green's contract had an easy out after 1 season.

(09-25-2017, 08:11 PM)Steve Wrote:  I thought it happens every year....
just wait....
some team will offer Eifert huge money...

I respect that you feel that way. Do you have any examples of this happening?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2017, 11:41 AM)GreenDragon Wrote: Eifert. Just don't overpay. He's hurt more than half the time.

Actually, he's played in 59.4% of his possible games since being drafted.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
In 4+ seasons he's played in roughly 58% of the team's games. Chris F'n Perry only suited up for 2 less games than Eifert has in their first 4 years. If I had any faith that Eifert could even manage to get out of the bed in the morning without injuring himself I'd say keep him around. But what good is a All-Pro caliber TE that's NEVER on the field? Let someone else pay him to sit around and be hurt. Back injuries don't tend to just magically get better, they linger like a never-has-been OL coach on the Bengals coaching staff.
Reply/Quote
When he's healthy Eifert is one of the best, make a contract that will be heavy payout at the end to ensure his health. But major contract with his health issues? I would say let hime go. He's been plagued with health issues from day one. He needs to prove he can stay on the field.
Reply/Quote
Have to see something from the guy that indicates he can still be that same player from 2015.

If he can, bring him back cause he is a gamechanger when he can play.

His injury history has to be considered in the contract though. Missed like half his games in the NFL last i checked.

Half the contract he would normally get if he could stay healthy. Sucks for him, he is a talent.

Best route running TE in the NFL when healthy IMHO.
Reply/Quote