yes because our o-line sucks
27.59%
24 27.59%
Total 87 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you believe the season is over?
(09-16-2017, 10:38 AM)McC Wrote: Technically, no.  Realistically, yes.   As long as Marv is here, every season is over.

[Image: tenor.gif]
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I think we are closer to reeling then we are to turning this thing around this season. I'll just have to eat my helping of crow at the end of the season if it comes down to it.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2017, 12:36 AM)740Bengal Wrote: Nope big win over Green Bay on deck. Watch

As ridiculous as this sounds, I'm reminded of the 2013 season when the Bengals looked like trash against the Browns only to beat the Patriots the following week.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2017, 11:17 AM)jason Wrote: As ridiculous as this sounds, I'm reminded of the 2013 season when the Bengals looked like trash against the Browns only to beat the Patriots the following week.

Great.  So all we need is a monsoon.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I don't think the questoin should be "Can we turn the season around?" I think it should be "Should we turn the season around"?

While I'm excited to see what Lazor can do with this offense, I'm worried that if he does too good a job and we somehow end up making the playoffs, that Brown will extend Lewis once again. At this point, unless Lewis takes us to the Super Bowl (and I don't think even the homerest of homers would believe we can do that this year), I want him gone after the season. I want ALL the coaches gone and a new HC to pick his staff.

I'm honestly conflicted. I never want to root for the Bengals lose, but then again, I reeeeeeeeeeeally want to see Marvin Lewis gone.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2017, 11:24 AM)McC Wrote: Great.  So all we need is a monsoon.

It's been in the 80s here the past 3 days so that could happen next week here lol.
Reply/Quote
I gave up on the season the first play. Marvin did not have the team ready. So what's new?
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2017, 11:50 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: 0-2 teams only make the playoffs 12% of the time.

[Image: NOtSkd3.gif]
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
Ahh C'mon.. It's scripted this way.. look horrible, REALLY bad, historically atrocious even only to turn the ship around and become the Cinderella franchise that beat all odds to go on to become league champions on their 50th anniversary. I predicted this you know since way back early in preseason and VBs suspension is part of it too.. 

So..if I'm right whaddaya think the odds are of the Bengals honoring my wisdom and foresight for saying they play in a fixed league?  Zilch?
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(09-15-2017, 11:50 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It's over. 0-2 teams only make the playoffs 12% of the time.

[Image: a056a6297b3ee2cb8687931a94ae82c2127c66c1...396cdf.jpg]
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
No, because there are 14 games left.

As far as making the playoffs .............  ...................  before Zampese was fired I said winning 8 of the next 14 games, to reach .500, was 99.9% unlikely.

Since the franchise shocked the NFL world, by firing Zampese, and actually hiring a guy with 'some' OC experience, I'm going to say IF  they can go to Green Bay and win ....... then I would say it's possible although the jury will still be out!
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2017, 11:50 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It's over. 0-2 teams only make the playoffs 12% of the time.

Never tell me the odds!
Reply/Quote
I'm not going to quote the statistics of 0-2 teams making the playoffs because the idea that history is the deciding factor in any scenario feels like a logical fallacy to me.

However, I will say that, as I watch this team with my eyes, they don't look like a playoff team.

These two losses were not hard fought losses against other playoff teams that ended in close but contested match ups.

These two losses were because one of the two teams played like absolute trash despite having multiple advantages (like playing against a Joe Flacco led offense or a rookie QB).

Unless they completely change everything about their play, including out Offensive line magically becoming decent, we're cooked.

We may as well prepare for another 6 win season - if we're lucky. I'd be surprised if we won 4 games based on how we've looked in these first two weeks against relatively bad teams.

There's always hope because it's very early in the season. And there's a chance these first two games are an aberration and we return to being a good offense next week.

But that feels like a hail mary situation at this point. Hopefully our new OC knows how to call plays that gain yards.
Reply/Quote
I worry that it is over because we are in that 6 out of last 19 rut. It's not like we played well last year and got off to a rough start.
I will say though that funny things can happen in sports. Just ask the Atlanta Falcons.
Reply/Quote
I never give up hope on change, despite the team's track record.

That said, I'd have to assess the rest of the season as an extremely uphill battle by a team with some fundamental issues and problems that have shown no signs of being addressed.

We know the O-line is bad this year. I'd like to say that they are at rock bottom and can only get better. But I'm not sure that that is true. I have to say that I'm disappointed with the personnel decisions about the O-line this season, particularly in light of the fact that most of us saw this coming at the end of last season.

Dalton is a good QB who occasionally makes bonehead decisions at the worst possible times. He will never be great. But if most of the rest of the team is solid, a good QB is usually good enough. Unfortunately, the rest of our team is not solid. Those rare bonehead plays Dalton makes will continuously be exposed this year and have a bigger impact on games, particularly in light of how much effort has been made to surround him with good playmaking RB's, WR's and TE's.

I don't think you can harangue the backs and receivers too much at this point. If the line is weak and the QB makes some questionable decisions, these guys don't really have much of a chance from the get-go. Like Dalton, mistakes they make are going to be exposed and have a bigger impact than they would if they were playing on a more solid team. Them's the breaks. It sucks to play on a bad team.

The defense is good, but not good enough to have to win more than a game or two on their own. And with no offense to speak of, they are on their own. Once again, them's the breaks. It sucks to play on a bad team.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
Wheres the choice "It was over before it started with Marvin at the helm" ?
Reply/Quote
It all depends on what the Stealers do. Baltimore is so ravaged with injuries, I don't see them winning much. If the Stoolers have a shit season, we have a chance to turn it around. I think the offensive line improved in the Texas game from full on SUCK to just regularly sucking. Lazor is going to have to do what the Texans were doing, and play 6 on the line to cover for Ogsucky, who I had high hopes for but just lets people blow past him. I want this team to win, but I want Lewis gone. I'm tired of him not having his team ready... I fully hoped to see him fired Friday morning.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2017, 11:24 AM)McC Wrote: Great.  So all we need is a monsoon.

The Bengals were also embarrassed on TNF the following year at home by the Cleveland Browns. The following week they went into New Orleans, and beat the Saints. "The Saints?" you scoff? Back then the Saints never lost in the Super Dome. Throw in the fact that Aaron Rogers has traditionally struggled against the Bengals in the regular season, and this game has all of the markings of an upset. Keep the faith fellas!
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2017, 01:23 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: I never give up hope on change, despite the team's track record.

That said, I'd have to assess the rest of the season as an extremely uphill battle by a team with some fundamental issues and problems that have shown no signs of being addressed.

We know the O-line is bad this year. I'd like to say that they are at rock bottom and can only get better. But I'm not sure that that is true. I have to say that I'm disappointed with the personnel decisions about the O-line this season, particularly in light of the fact that most of us saw this coming at the end of last season.

Dalton is a good QB who occasionally makes bonehead decisions at the worst possible times. He will never be great. But if most of the rest of the team is solid, a good QB is usually good enough. Unfortunately, the rest of our team is not solid. Those rare bonehead plays Dalton makes will continuously be exposed this year and have a bigger impact on games, particularly in light of how much effort has been made to surround him with good playmaking RB's, WR's and TE's.

I don't think you can harangue the backs and receivers too much at this point. If the line is weak and the QB makes some questionable decisions, these guys don't really have much of a chance from the get-go. Like Dalton, mistakes they make are going to be exposed and have a bigger impact than they would if they were playing on a more solid team. Them's the breaks. It sucks to play on a bad team.  

The defense is good, but not good enough to have to win more than a game or two on their own. And with no offense to speak of, they are on their own. Once again, them's the breaks. It sucks to play on a bad team.

You need to chance that sig to "week 6 of the preseason", holmes.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2017, 01:37 PM)jason Wrote: The Bengals were also embarrassed on TNF the following year at home by the Cleveland Browns. The following week they went into New Orleans, and beat the Saints. "The Saints?" you scoff? Back then the Saints never lost in the Super Dome. Throw in the fact that Aaron Rogers has traditionally struggled against the Bengals in the regular season, and this game has all of the markings of an upset. Keep the faith fellas!

Granted, there is precedence for bouncing back.  But the shit now just seems too deep to climb out of in ten days.  Believe me, I hope you're right and I would be overjoyed to be wrong.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote