Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you think that...
Do you think that if Hue or Jay were fired from their HC gig that Brown wouldn't have extended Marvin, and hired one of them? Do you think that's why he wasn't signed until Tuesday (since Monday is when coaches usually get fired), or do you think Marvin was going to get his old job back no matter what?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2018, 02:58 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: Do you think that if Hue or Jay were fired from their HC gig that Brown wouldn't have extended Marvin, and hired one of them? Do you think that's why he wasn't signed until Tuesday (since Monday is when coaches usually get fired), or do you think Marvin was going to get his old job back no matter what?

After all is said and done I think MB tries to minimize change and keeping Marv was his view on the best way of doing that....so no I'm not sure that Hue or Jay were going to be hired.

Who knows in 2 years time though?
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2018, 06:13 AM)sonofstat Wrote: After all is said and done I think MB tries to minimize change and keeping Marv was his view on the best way of doing that....so no I'm not sure that Hue or Jay were going to be hired.

Who knows in 2 years time though?

This. I honestly believe Marvin leaked false info on his departure from the Bengals to Adam Schefter (ESPN) to scare Mike into retaining him and giving him more power/control which looks to be the case (so far, we'll see...). Think about it for a second... Marvin hates the media and wouldn't go out of his way to leak info to Adam of all sports reporters unless he had ulterior motives. That and Adam is honestly never wrong, hardly ever (he was just played like a fiddle by Marvin). Mike doesn't like change. It's scary to him which is only natural, but when you're running an NFL franchise, you can't get too comfortable with faces. Players get hurt and are forced to retire early, coaches can't win your team games and sometimes staff/players just don't work out in your system and you got to do your damn job, pull your pants over your belly, fix your tie, take that last sip of your Pepsi to get your blood pumping and call that mofo up to your office and tell him it's time to pack his bags and beat it.
Reply/Quote
Building off what Takedown said: I do believe Marvin played a "master manipulator" with Schefter. Like he said, Schefter is rarely wrong about something and even went as far as saying that Marvin had personally talked to him about it. This, to me, makes it seem like Marvin wanted the news to break. It could have also been for reasons other than power in negotiating a new contract but at this point everything is a speculation. My theory is that the Bengals actually did reach out to HC candidates and Marvin did honestly consider leaving. I think at the end of the day neither side was ready for change.

My next take on this is that Lazor is the new "heir apparent" now that Hue has committed to Cleveland (and I honestly do wish him and that entire organization the best of luck 14 weeks out of the year).
Reply/Quote
Interesting stuff on Marv playing Schefter. You guys really believe Marv is that smart? I don't know about it.

Was thinking that if Jay got fired by the Skins he would be our next HC, just didn't happen.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2018, 05:41 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Interesting stuff on Marv playing Schefter. You guys really believe Marv is that smart? I don't know about it.

Was thinking that if Jay got fired by the Skins he would be our next HC, just didn't happen.

I saw somewhere, that the Bengals were interested in Joseph, Jackson, and Gruden, and that Merv was plan D.  All three of those were retained, so they rolled with Merv.  May have been on NFL Network.  I was watching so much coaching carousel shit that day, I can't remember.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2018, 02:58 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: Do you think that if Hue or Jay were fired from their HC gig that Brown wouldn't have extended Marvin, and hired one of them? Do you think that's why he wasn't signed until Tuesday (since Monday is when coaches usually get fired), or do you think Marvin was going to get his old job back no matter what?

From the way it happened.... It seems like mike has been trying to extend marvin all season but marvin had demands.  and those demands were not caved into by mikey till 1/3 (or what ever day marvin was extended)
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2018, 05:46 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: From the way it happened.... It seems like mike has been trying to extend marvin all season but marvin had demands.  and those demands were not caved into by mikey till 1/3 (or what ever day marvin was extended)

I can't help but to ponder this question: How many times in the history of the NFL, or any sport, has a coach been given a new contract after 15 years with the same team, having zero playoff success? The mere optics of it are rather embarrassing, as it defies any logical thought process on Brown's part.
Reply/Quote
He shoulda held out a couple of days...coulda hired Rich Rodriguez out of hiding.
Reply/Quote
Its hard to say. But I would almost bet anything that if Jay and/or Hue were fired, and Marvin did not want to come back at all, then they would be at the top of MBs list because they would fall into his comfort zone of hiring. But Marvin is his ultimate comfort zone choice, so again hard to say.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2018, 05:54 PM)Dark-Net-Axon Wrote: I can't help but to ponder this question: How many times in the history of the NFL, or any sport, has a coach been given a new contract after 15 years with the same team, having zero playoff success? The mere optics of it are rather embarrassing, as it defies any logical thought process on Brown's part.

Doubt it has ever happened anywhere...
Reply/Quote
Really hard to say, Brown marches to the beat of a different drummer......understatement.

Not sure Lewis coming back wasn't always at the top of the Brown's list ? The guys saying Marvin used the leak as a pry bar may be spot on ?
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2018, 06:34 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Really hard to say, Brown marches to the beat of a different drummer......understatement.

Not sure Lewis coming back wasn't always at the top of the Brown's list ? The guys saying Marvin used the leak as a pry bar may be spot on ?

It's entirely possible.  Heck as long as we're supposing here, Marvin might have extended the careers of 3 of his protoges by that stunt.  At the time of the "news" breaking;  Joseph, Jackson, and Gruden were all widely thought to have been on the hot seat to being fired.  No wonder the veterans on the team all love Marvin, he knows how to look after his own..  Ninja

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2018, 05:54 PM)Dark-Net-Axon Wrote: I can't help but to ponder this question: How many times in the history of the NFL, or any sport, has a coach been given a new contract after 15 years with the same team, having zero playoff success? The mere optics of it are rather embarrassing, as it defies any logical thought process on Brown's part.

Hey making history yet again...
Reply/Quote
This is as good a thread as any to put this in;

I don’t agree with much of what local radio says, but one thing I do agree with, said by Mo Eggert(?), or maybe it was Ken Broo;

That Mike Brown is getting older (he’s 82), that Marvin represents his best chance at seeing a championship. I think that’s the best explanation as to why Marvin was brought back.
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2018, 06:52 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Hey making history yet again...

Kind of like back in the 90's when they would show a player's highlight reel, it was inevitably against us..... Cool
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2018, 06:57 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: This is as good a thread as any to put this in;

I don’t agree with much of what local radio says, but one thing I do agree with, said by Mo Eggert(?), or maybe it was Ken Broo;

That Mike Brown is getting older (he’s 82), that Marvin represents his best chance at seeing a championship. I think that’s the best explanation as to why Marvin was brought back.

Marv cannot even win a playoff game, don't see how MB thinks he is his best chance at a SB.

Plus to the notion of Marv playing Schefter to keep his job is still a little iffy to me.

Dude thinks "adjustments are journalistic jargon".

Seems too baffled by his own brilliance to pull this all off. Mellow
Reply/Quote
The retention of Hue Jackson, Jay Gruden, and Hue Jackson had nothing to do with us bringing back Marvin, unless Marvin had his eyes set on one of those jobs,
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2018, 07:36 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The retention of Hue Jackson, Jay Gruden, and Hue Jackson had nothing to do with us bringing back Marvin, unless Marvin had his eyes set on one of those jobs,

Sadder than i thought. There are two Hue Jacksons?
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2018, 07:42 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Sadder than i thought. There are two Hue Jacksons?

Apparently so, one is a fantastic position coach or coordinator, the other is a shitty HC.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote