Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you trust FO to draft well?
(04-24-2023, 03:00 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: If we take Kincaid for example, I will have to trust the process. I honestly don't want this guy as I think he will be a bust due to 
being injured all the time and the fact he cannot block and makes us predictable on Offense. Hope I am wrong if Kincaid is the 
pick. Doubt he is though with the Irv Smith Jr signing who isn't the best blocker either. 

Expecting a Corner at 28 like Forbes though and that is as solid of a pick as you could get in the first round. If we go TE it better
be Washington or Mayer.

This 100%. I doubt we pick a TE who is a slot guy. That is Smith. We need a two-way TE (Mayer, Washington, Kraft, LaPorta) Day 1 or 2. 

If we want a slot guy, just friggin' take one: Flowers, Addison, Hyatt, Downs, Scott, Mims, Dell, Reed, Jones, Washington, etc. I'm OK with that. 
Reply/Quote
Yes.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
They objectively draft some positions well. But no. These guys ignored Billy Price's 1st percentile wingspan. They sprinted to the podium for Dre Kirkpatrick. They needed to buy their OL and secondary. I believe that they can draft well, have sometimes drafted well, and are exemplary in some areas. I don't especially trust their magic sauce - especially in the early rounds.
Reply/Quote
Early Rounds:

2019:
1. Jonah Williams, OT
2. Drew Sample, TE
3. Germaine Pratt, LB

2020:
1. Joe Burrow, QB
2. Tee Higgins, WR
3. Logan Wilson, LB

2021:
1. Ja'Marr Chase, WE
2. Jackson Carman, OT
3. Joseph Ossai, DE

2022:
1. Dax Hill, S/CB
2. Cam Taylor-Britt, CB
3. Zachary Carter, DT

HRs: Burrow, Chase, Higgins
3Bs: Wilson, Pratt
2Bs: Williams
1Bs: CTB, Ossai, Carman
ROE: Sample
Too early to tell: Carter, Hill

Out of 12, the only thing even close to a whiff is Sample. And he is still on the team 5 years later. All 12 are. 8 are likely starters (Burrow, Chase, Higgins, Wilson, Pratt, CTB, Hill, Williams/Carman). Ossai, Sample & Carter have played significantly as backups.

Pratt took a couple years to blossom.
Reply/Quote
I'm leery of draft experts. They might be able to tell a good athlete and have their favorites, but they don't always seem to match up the styles of play well for the teams and players being drafted, they just kinda go, oh they need this position, and plug one in. I think most of these experts just watch film and listen to rumors. That's about all, many times you need boots on the ground t really know if a player has a good or bad attitude, poor work ethics and so on.

I'm kinda liking that Analytics side where if you draft said player, how does that translate when the are in your line up, etc.
Just like with Chase vs Sewell, Chase would get us more wins than drafting Sewell would have.

I trust the FO/Coaches to make sure the players fit their system more than the experts.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2023, 02:58 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I'm leery of draft experts. They might be able to tell a good athlete and have their favorites, but they don't always seem to match up the styles of play well for the teams and players being drafted, they just kinda go, oh they need this position, and plug one in. I think most of these experts just watch film and listen to rumors. That's about all, many times you need boots on the ground t really know if a player has a good or bad attitude, poor work ethics and so on.  

I'm kinda liking that Analytics side where if you draft said player, how does that translate when the are in your line up, etc.
Just like with Chase vs Sewell, Chase would get us more wins than drafting Sewell would have.

I trust the FO/Coaches to make sure the players fit their system more than the experts.

Agreed. Some of the better folks (Kiper, McShay, Miller, Jeremiah) can give you general impressions of risers & fallers. But it only takes one team to like a faller for him to go earlier than expected. 

Further, these guys are trying to cover 32 teams. Most serious posters on the board have better Bengal insight than 95% of those "experts." 
Reply/Quote
Yes believe the FO has earned that trust over the last few years as well

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
besides Sample who really sucks id say yes. they have done really well.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2023, 12:01 AM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: They objectively draft some positions well. But no. These guys ignored Billy Price's 1st percentile wingspan. They sprinted to the podium for Dre Kirkpatrick. They needed to buy their OL and secondary. I believe that they can draft well, have sometimes drafted well, and are exemplary in some areas. I don't especially trust their magic sauce - especially in the early rounds.

I trust them to draft WRs, and probably LB. That's about it so far.
I have 0 trust in their ability to draft (and/or groom) OL.
I would like to believe they'll be fine drafting DBs given Anarumo's previous experience and the Bengals had traditionally drafted good CBs in the Marvin regime too, but we haven't seen their DB prospects much yet. CTB and Dax Hill get their opportunity really this year.
Part of me wants to be optimistic about drafting a good RB and TE, but they haven't hit on a RB or TE since drafting Mixon in 2017.
We haven't seen any of their drafted DL pan out yet either, although Ossai took steps last year.
They've been heavily reliant on veterans in the trenches in the Taylor era, but you can't put so much toward those positions once you start paying big money to Burrow, Chase, and possibly Higgins.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Just saw PFF has us trading up 3 spots to 25 with the Giants and taking Bijan Robinson.
Reply/Quote