Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does Driskel Allow A McCarron Trade?
I know that basing it off of one preseason game is an overreaction, but hear me out.

Driskel played pretty well, going 8 of 9 for 97 yards and a TD, even if it was against scrubs, which he was playing with scrubs, too. What really stood out to me was his touchdown run because it at least shows that he has the ability to scramble and run, which we would likely only need our backup QB if Andy gets hurt, which would only happen if the o-line is bad, requiring us to have a QB that can scramble and run.

He had the nice TD pass to Malone, which was a simple throw, but Driskel did lead him and threw a nice pass.

On top of his run where he juked the defense so bad that two defenders knocked each other over, he also had that nice keeper on the play where he faked to the back going left and ran to the right, which he also didn't slide and dove headfirst, which might be dumb in a game or if he's our starter, but he's playing for a roster spot, so he seems hungry.

We turned down a second rounder (reportedly) for AJ McCarron, but that was before we had seen anything out of Driskel.

Should we trade McCarron? Will we trade McCarron now that we've seen Driskel in game-action? Will any teams still want McCarron?
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2017, 06:14 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I know that basing it off of one preseason game is an overreaction, but hear me out.

Driskel played pretty well, going 8 of 9 for 97 yards and a TD, even if it was against scrubs, which he was playing with scrubs, too.  What really stood out to me was his touchdown run because it at least shows that he has the ability to scramble and run, which we would likely only need our backup QB if Andy gets hurt, which would only happen if the o-line is bad, requiring us to have a QB that can scramble and run.

He had the nice TD pass to Malone, which was a simple throw, but Driskel did lead him and threw a nice pass.  

On top of his run where he juked the defense so bad that two defenders knocked each other over, he also had that nice keeper on the play where he faked to the back going left and ran to the right, which he also didn't slide and dove headfirst, which might be dumb in a game or if he's our starter, but he's playing for a roster spot, so he seems hungry.

We turned down a second rounder (reportedly) for AJ McCarron, but that was before we had seen anything out of Driskel.

Should we trade McCarron?  Will we trade McCarron now that we've seen Driskel in game-action?  Will any teams still want McCarron?

Wayyyyyyy to early to tell.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
I don't know about making him the backup, but he sure did impress me. Of course, you wonder how he'd do against a 1st team defense?
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
Has McCarron ever played that we'll? Not that I recall. If the Bengals can get a high pick for him they should take it.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
As much as Mike Brown loves his QBs i doubt it.

If we could get a serviceable swing tackle and a 1st or 2nd next year i would.
Reply/Quote
I'd like to see how Driskel does mid-season against a starting defense before we start considering anything.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
At this point, no
Reply/Quote
I doubt that a team is going to offer anything of value for McCarron at this point. It's too late to get him to come in and learn and offense.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2017, 06:25 PM)El guapo Wrote: Has McCarron ever played that we'll? Not that I recall. If the Bengals can get a high pick for him they should take it.

I'm very critical of McCarron, anyone on these boards can tell you that.

But McCarron has played that well before.

But I do agree, the Bengals should take a high pick for him. They should have when they were asked.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
It might be that Driskel is our #2 next year after McCarron leaves in FA and we get the comp 3rd for AJ. That's as close as we'll probably get though.

Reply/Quote
Driskel showed to be serviceable during a preseason game. He did a ton of play action and dump offs, but stay poised. He improved a lot from last year and deserves a ton of credit for that.

I've always believed that the Bengals should have traded McCarron when they had the chance. The Jaguars offered the Bengals their 2nd round pick this year for McCarron (according to a source) and the Bengals turned it down because they were set in stone on getting a 1st rounder for him.

To help understand why that makes me so mad, the Bengals would have had 3 draft picks in the top 41 picks. Who did the Jaguars take with their 2nd round pick? Cam Robinson.

Could you imagine how much better MANY of us would feel if the Bengals drafted Robinson or even Forrest Lamp (who was taken a few picks after).

McCarron is a backup QB and I understand people like his "leadership ability".....whatever that means. But having a competent line with this kind of offense would have set the Bengals up for HUGE success. A solid line with Green, Ross, Eifert, and Mixon on the field at once? How do you stop that?

Reply/Quote
(08-15-2017, 07:52 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Driskel showed to be serviceable during a preseason game. He did a ton of play action and dump offs, but stay poised. He improved a lot from last year and deserves a ton of credit for that.

I've always believed that the Bengals should have traded McCarron when they had the chance. The Jaguars offered the Bengals their 2nd round pick this year for McCarron (according to a source) and the Bengals turned it down because they were set in stone on getting a 1st rounder for him.

To help understand why that makes me so mad, the Bengals would have had 3 draft picks in the top 41 picks. Who did the Jaguars take with their 2nd round pick? Cam Robinson.

Could you imagine how much better MANY of us would feel if the Bengals drafted Robinson or even Forrest Lamp (who was taken a few picks after).

McCarron is a backup QB and I understand people like his "leadership ability".....whatever that means. But having a competent line with this kind of offense would have set the Bengals up for HUGE success. A solid line with Green, Ross, Eifert, and Mixon on the field at once? How do you stop that?

Glad i get to see Cam thrown into the fire at LT in jville. I was a fan of him in the top 10. 

Lets me see where my couch youtube scouting skills are. I thought greg robinson was a surefire stud too. May have to shut my mouth on OTs if Cam flops
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2017, 06:22 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: I don't know about making him the backup, but he sure did impress me.  Of course, you wonder how he'd do against a 1st team defense?
Hopefully, wouldn't need to find out, but you also have to consider both sides of that question and wonder how he'd do with a first team offense.

You have to figure that we'd dumb-down the offense and make it fit to his strengths, with doing things like running almost a wildcat-type offense like with his run on the score and the other impressive run I mentioned.

(08-15-2017, 06:25 PM)El guapo Wrote: Has McCarron ever played that we'll? Not that I recall. If the Bengals can get a high pick for him they should take it.

Should have led us to our first playoff win in over two decades if Hill didn't fumble away our dreams.

He also didn't play bad in the regular season when Andy was injured.

(08-15-2017, 06:32 PM)Interceptor Wrote: I'd like to see how Driskel does mid-season against a starting defense before we start considering anything.
We likely won't see him mid-season against a starting defense, and, by then, it will likely be too late to trade him.
(08-15-2017, 06:48 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I doubt that a team is going to offer anything of value for McCarron at this point. It's too late to get him to come in and learn and offense.
Still about a month left.  I think he could learn an offense or just the basics and add-on as the season goes with studying a lot.
(08-15-2017, 07:49 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: It might be that Driskel is our #2 next year after McCarron leaves in FA and we get the comp 3rd for AJ. That's as close as we'll probably get though.

That wouldn't be bad, but we need to strike while the iron's hot if possible.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2017, 08:03 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Glad i get to see Cam thrown into the fire at LT in jville. I was a fan of him in the top 10. 

Lets me see where my couch youtube scouting skills are. I thought greg robinson was a surefire stud too. May have to shut my mouth on OTs if Cam flops

Cam Robinson is a BEAST in the run game. By far the best lineman in that regards in last year's draft. It was his pass protection I was skeptical of. I think he would make a much better offensive guard than a tackle, but he has some traits that work for an offensive tackle. He looked decent in Jacksonville's first game.

I thought Robinson was going to be really good too. There's always a player you think is going to be good and then it turns out not at all lol.

Reply/Quote
Remember when everyone wanted to make that QB that threw up on the field our back up?

This is that.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-15-2017, 08:25 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Remember when everyone wanted to make that QB that threw up on the field our back up?

This is that.

bwahahaha would rep but you're in at the naughty table
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2017, 08:25 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Remember when everyone wanted to make that QB that threw up on the field our back up?

This is that.

But, that kid had guts.  Granted, they were all over the 17 yard line, but still...

[Image: 9081686d268b28ad11909af8e2aab903.jpg]
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
I wish we would try more 2nd, 3rd and lower string players more with the first team. We know what we have in Dalton, Green. Eifert. Throw the 3rd string QB out there to start a pre season game, or that Walk on/low round draft pick WR to see how they do against starters. I'm sure the coaches know what they have, and maybe they do mix them in with the first string in practice.

If it was up to me I wouldn't play a starter the whole pre season. I hate seeing starters suffer season ending injuries before the season even starts. It's a waste. To me pre season would be much more entertaining if EVERY player was playing to make the team. Much less stressful also.

Hopefully someday pre season will be replaced with 4 more season games, or at least replace the last 2 pre season games with season games.
Reply/Quote
Very early. But his style of play is a nice change of pace. If a team's #1 goes down and desperate, we could see him go for a 1 and a 4? The Browns offered a 2. Maybe the Bengals know something we don't? GO figure.

Reply/Quote
Driskel does seem to have a fire in him that I don't see in the others. Not saying he's better than Dalton or McCarron. Dalton has been showing a little more fire the past couple seasons. It just seems like Dalton and even Palmer have this lackadaisical going through the motions type of personality or vibe they give off when playing. It's hard to explain, I just don't see the intensity in these guys.

Even with the fire Driskel has, I would not feel very confident in him being our only backup till he gets some first team reps in the pre season or quality regular season play.
Reply/Quote