Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does the psyche of a team live or die with the QB?
I think the QB is a big piece of the pie in the temperament, psyhce, desire, drive of a team but the real culture is above that.

Mike Brown sets up the culture of this team and he doesn't have one. He's had the same HC for 16 years that hasn't won anything and it all goes to hell from there.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2018, 10:56 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I’ve been more excited under the influence of general anesthesia.

Professional athletes are grown men.  They should not need som eone else to "pump them up".

If  aplayer can not motivate himself toplay well that is his problem, not the QB.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 10:27 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Professional athletes are grown men.  They should not need som eone else to "pump them up".

If  aplayer can not motivate himself toplay well that is his problem, not the QB.

Guess they don’t need coaches either then.

Reply/Quote
(11-25-2018, 11:02 PM)2MinutesHate Wrote: What do klingler, kitna, palmer and dalton all have in common?

They are all church choir boys.  Not a whole lot of fire or adult language coming out of them.  Watch tom Brady on the sidelines.  That guy is always fired up, whether hes pissed off at someone or just cheering his teammates on.

That's the kind of leadership this team needs.  We're so far away from that it's not even funny at every level.

When Bengal fans see another QB yelling at a teammate it is because he is a fiery leader.

When Bengal fans saw Palmer yelling at Chad it was "division between teammates" and possibly a "fratured lockerroom".
Reply/Quote
For some reason, fans villanize our best players: Pickens, Palmer, Dillon, Dalton, etc.

The players aren't the main issue. The organization/organizational culture is.
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2018, 10:51 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The psyche of a team lives and dies with the head coach.

This is a big part of it.  We have players like Tyler Boyd and Joe Mixon that are fiery on offense.  Marvin has lost this team, again.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 11:03 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: For some reason, fans villanize our best players: Pickens, Palmer, Dillon, Dalton, etc.

The players aren't the main issue. The organization/organizational culture is.

Yep.....and that WR that was "on the practice squad for a reason", bailed out the backup three times (almost a 4th time on that contortionist like twist in mid air that the ground knocked loose) with insane catches.  Playing the right players might help some. Mellow

Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 10:27 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Professional athletes are grown men.  They should not need som eone else to "pump them up".

Nice piece of theory, but we live in the real world.

Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 10:21 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I think the QB is a big piece of the pie in the temperament, psyhce, desire, drive of a team but the real culture is above that.

Mike Brown sets up the culture of this team and he doesn't have one. He's had the same HC for 16 years that hasn't won anything and it all goes to hell from there.

I agree with what you’re saying here and will add that the culture created by Mike Brown is a collection of good company guys who are content to collect a check and won’t call Mikey out on his b.s. Guys like Boomer, Dillon, and Lee Johnson get run out of town because they want to win enough to say something when they see that Mikey is setting them up to be also-rans. Mikey doesnt likey the go-getters and the boat-rockers so we get the type of players who will happily do as they are told and acccept Mike Brown’s half assed approach to building a winning football team.

The QB is a very important part of the culture of a football team. He has to want to win more than anyone else on the field because his teammates will feed off of his energy, or in some cases lack thereof.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 11:47 AM)HuDey Wrote: I agree with what you’re saying here and will add that the culture created by Mike Brown is a collection of good company guys who are content to collect a check and won’t call Mikey out on his b.s. Guys like Boomer, Dillon, and Lee Johnson get run out of town because they want to win enough to say something when they see that Mikey is setting them up to be also-rans. Mikey doesnt likey the go-getters and the boat-rockers so we get the type of players who will happily do as they are told and acccept Mike Brown’s half assed approach to building a winning football team.

The QB is a very important part of the culture of a football team. He has to want to win more than anyone else on the field because his teammates will feed off of his energy, or in some cases lack thereof.

Carson Palmer tried it too.....and the fans labeled him a quitter when he stood his ground.

Reply/Quote
To be fair to the fans, not all the details of the Palmer/Mikey situation were available. Would have been nice if Carson had come out at the time full anti-Brown
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 11:50 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Carson Palmer tried it too.....and the fans labeled him a quitter when he stood his ground.

It was a bad look for Palmer to sign that extension and then quit the way he did. I have no ill feelings towards him for it now. He was right to want out, but the way he went about it wasn’t ideal.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 10:19 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: Agreed. They played a rather lackadaisical defense against him the majority of his time. They did start blitzing heavily again towards the end and he didn’t score. He threw multiple inaccurate passes and had to be bailed out. The answer to this teams QB situation is still in HS/college.

Driskel wasn't terrible but he started that way.  He basically was staring down targets because of being thrown into the situation.  Once he settled down he got better at not telegraphing so much.

I'm not thinking he's a saviour or anything but would like to see what he can or cannot do in a prepared start and whole game.

Also as others mentioned in a game where they weren't getting blown out and a defense had game planned for him at QB.

You know... common sense stuff without passing full judgment either way.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 11:24 AM)BengalChris Wrote: Nice piece of theory, but we live in the real world.

So you are saying the O-line is not responsible for missing blocks because Dalton didn't "pump them up"?

Apparently you don't have a clue about the real world.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 11:12 AM)Wyche Wrote: Yep.....and that WR that was "on the practice squad for a reason", bailed out the backup three times (almost a 4th time on that contortionist like twist in mid air that the ground knocked loose) with insane catches.  Playing the right players might help some. Mellow

2 catches on 7 targets for 15 yards.

He still belongs on the practice squad.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 10:30 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Guess they don’t need coaches either then.

Not to just squeal and jump around.

In fact many of the coaches who spend the most time squealing are terrible coaches.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 12:03 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: To be fair to the fans, not all the details of the Palmer/Mikey situation were available. Would have been nice if Carson had come out at the time full anti-Brown

That is true.....but we now know that isn't Palmer's style.

(11-26-2018, 12:03 PM)HuDey Wrote: It was a bad look for Palmer to sign that extension and then quit the way he did. I have no ill feelings towards him for it now. He was right to want out, but the way he went about it wasn’t ideal.

I get that.....but I had a feeling as to why Palmer did what he did, and it turned out after watching "A Football Life", I was partially correct.  The truth always has a way of coming out.

Reply/Quote
(11-26-2018, 12:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: 2 catches on 7 targets for 15 yards.

He still belongs on the practice squad.

Sure thing champ. :andy:

Reply/Quote
(11-25-2018, 10:46 PM)impactplaya Wrote: this is not thread about Andy Daltons talents.
its not about if hes good or a bad qb.
but what Iam asking is does a QB directly
affect the mindset and emotional state of a team?
today for example Baker Mayfield came out in total of the offense.
his enthusiasm seemed to affect Chubb and Njoku. especially on that crazy 6 yd TD catch.
even when Driskel came in...the offense looked quicker
uptempo (I know the score was 28 7 at that point)
I think at times Dalton is too even keeled
I see Mahomes in KC. his approach to the game
is contagious. his whole offense feeds off him.
maybe Im rambling.Im tired and watching the Browns come to PBS and essentially backing up Eandalls quote is depressing.

Why does it have to be the QB? Usually on winning teams you have a strong leader. Look at at who Baltimore had when it won it's SBs. Lewis and Suggs. I don't recall Pig Pen yelling profanities at his teammates during their SB run. Anyone ever see Payton Manning or his brother Eli jumping around? Brady and Brees are the undisputed leaders of their teams, but they are in a different realm along with Rogers, but he isn't a big "rah rah" guy either.
Reply/Quote
Tates catches yesterday were AJ Green like.
Id like see Tate run some routes where he can catch the ball in stride and get YAC.
Reply/Quote