Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does this even feel like a win?
(09-30-2016, 12:57 AM)The Real Deal Wrote: I'm happy they won but I just got done telling my wife that I've never felt more disappointed after a win. One thing I know for sure though, the defense plays with much more of an edge with vontazeout there. For the most part, aside from basically one play, they were downright nasty tonight.

The Bengals defense gave up 20.33 ppg, and 370 ypg w/o Burfict. They gave up 15.7 ppg, and 294 ypg with Burfict (in 2015). Burfict is the heart and soul of this defense. He's unquestionably the most important defensive player we have.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2016, 12:58 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Feels like a win to me.

Defense was dominant, other than the ONE play at the beginning haha.

Offense kept sputtering :/, it seems like AJ has to do pretty much all of the work. Lafell plays a good number 2 though, and Uzomah is serviceable, but has drops here and there. The O-line definitely needs help, and Boling getting hurt hopefully isn't something long term. As you said though, with a nice 10 days off before the Cowboys, these things might be solved by then.

Uzomah has had like 6 drops so far this season. It's defiantly more than "here and there".
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2016, 01:28 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: Uzomah has had like 6 drops so far this season. It's defiantly more than "here and there".

Thats still less than our D this year. Ninja
Reply/Quote
I do wish we would get Bernard more reps in the passing game. He could be our Sproles.
Reply/Quote
The D played nicely and that made it feel like a win. The Dallas OL is going to be a different story for the Bengals front seven next week, but I still give our D the edge against the Dallas O, especially with Dez Bryant hurting.

Our OL, on the other hand, continued its inept play. The weak spots continue to be weak spots (C and RT) and I really don't see how it's going to be fixed in the next 10 days when it hasn't been fixed in the last two months. Not even sure it's improved much really.

I saw Bodine, Zietler, Fisher and Og all get beat at various times as if they were statues.

Zampese's play calling and protections up front aren't working, yet he's just keep doing them. Defenses know exactly when we are going to run and despite that Hill had 71 yards, while Gio had a horrifying 18 yards on 10 carries.

Zampese and Alexander make every other DL coach look like they are Belichick or something.

Reply/Quote
Some comments from Dolphins fans on their forum...

I've been on Tannehill side the whole time he has been here. Not anymore. He is awful and outside perhaps 10-15 guys the whole team should be flushed.

Nice pick Tannehill. Douche. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Well that was a waste of good beer

If we play like we did tonight ill be switching to jack and cocaine. I don't want to feel anything

Tannehill just stands there like an upright brick.

Bushrod with the sack, why not?

No excuses. The whole team, Punter aside, wet the bed.

We suck bad.

Yup feels like a win.

Also I found this over there. LOL

[Image: CoordinatedHoarseGartersnake-size_restricted.gif]
Reply/Quote
Heart 
A win is a win. Defense showed up. Good to see Burfict back. He's the heart and soul of our D no doubt. How bout will Clarke? Dude is getting pressure this year, more so than MJ. But overall the defense controlled the game, even without Kirkpatrick. Offense had some good drives going, but the same problems still need addressed. Offensive line issues/Run game, red zone scoring. The game should've been a complete blowout. Hopefully with eiferts return we will find more success scoring. Can't rely on AJ to have 170+ yard games every game , although it'd be nice. Lafell looks like a nice stopgap number 2, he's getting it done. Boyd almost had his first TD of the season, that was just a good breakup by the db. The team has some work to do, and hopefully they'll get it figured out. On to Dallas
Reply/Quote
Yes. This feels like a win. Not a big emotional win. Just a "just enough" win. And that is fine. We are back at .500 and can build from here. Plus, we get that "prime time" monkey off of our back for a little while.

It is clear that some guys are performing top-notch and some need to step up their game, though.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
I'm not sure I get the whole "feeling like a win" concept. We won. But we looked awful in some phases of the game in doing it (pass blocking, run blocking, dropping passes). Our OL is struggling mightily and Zampese's inept play calling is making it worse by playing right into the strengths of opposing defenses. The silliest part is every big play we made on offense was Andy checking out of the play sent in from the sideline, and on two of them (the first bomb and the TD) he and AJ basically made it up on the fly.

Tez back seemed to change the entire tenor of the defense, and that was a big help. The DL actually got penetration albeit against a bad offensive line. And aside from one broken play the secondary generally was in position. Shaw was special when he was in also - he may turn out to be a starter.
Reply/Quote
I would like to point out that we *needed* this win and Dalton showed up, AJ showed up, the D showed up, the kicker showed up and even the punter showed up and took one for the team. It's really only the OL that hasn't gotten it together. Even Hill had 71 yards behind a line of statues.

So if we can get this line fixed, this team can put together a string of wins.

Reply/Quote
Besides that 75 yard td pass in blown coverage our defense only gave up 66 yards.

Welcome back Vontaze.
[Image: Untitleddfcopycopycopycopy_zps872b23c3.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2016, 02:19 AM)BengalChris Wrote: I would like to point out that we *needed* this win and Dalton showed up, AJ showed up, the D showed up, the kicker showed up and even the punter showed up and took one for the team. It's really only the OL that hasn't gotten it together. Even Hill had 71 yards behind a line of statues.

all of your points are valid. but we have the same ole same ole coach as our OL coach. any bengal fan seriously think "we'll get this line fixed" ? nah man. i know you know it begins and ends there, ev1 across the NFL knows it. we are in big big trouble. we can't block a 4-man front we are screwed against any co-ordinator not named vance joseph.
Reply/Quote
It was a must win game on a short week. So yeah it feels like a win.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
1) Andy continue to be poised and nearly mistake-free (aka, no key turnovers).
2) O-line: less sacks and get the run game going.
3) Red zone: Eifert

I don't think we need all three to go far this season, but I feel like we do need two out of three. Number one is looking good; number three we'll find out soon. Two .. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2016, 02:19 AM)BengalChris Wrote: I would like to point out that we *needed* this win and Dalton showed up, AJ showed up, the D showed up, the kicker showed up and even the punter showed up and took one for the team. It's really only the OL that hasn't gotten it together. Even Hill had 71 yards behind a line of statues.

The redzone offense needs fixed. The offense looked pretty decent other than that. The OL obviously didn't look very good, but what's new. I never though they looked as good as what people were acting like in years past, but I never thought they were bad. I always though they were bottom of the top 10 in pass protection and below average at run blocking... now they look like crap all around.
Reply/Quote
F&!# YEAH it feels like a win. This team just beat the fins by a higher point margin than the Seahawks or Pats. The defense allowed ONE play. Other than that it was absolutely stifling. That's the kind of D that I like to see. Swatted passes and QB hits everywhere.
Reply/Quote
It was a dominant win. Yeah they left a a lot of points in the red zone but that's where Eifert comes in
Reply/Quote
Eifert will solve the problems we have in the red zone. He's the second best TE in the league and so anytime your missing a player of that caliber you will falter. With that said we should still be better than our current performance.

I was very satisfied with our defense. They played a great game.
Reply/Quote
It feels like the bleeding has stopped. Mostly.

We saw some familiar players play like the stars we know they are. But this team needs for them not to disappear when tougher opponents show up. And we need new stars to appear.

What happened to the Tyler Boyd we saw in pre-season? Or the Alex Erickson? I realize some of that wasn't against first stringers and was against vanilla defenses but still I guess I really expected more. And I'm still pretty meh on the offensive line.

Most of all, I'm not feeling the coordinators right now at all. This sloppy play is on them.

Reply/Quote
(09-30-2016, 03:27 AM)BoomerFan Wrote: It feels like the bleeding has stopped. Mostly.

We saw some familiar players play like the stars we know they are. But this team needs for them not to disappear when tougher opponents show up. And we need new stars to appear.

What happened to the Tyler Boyd we saw in pre-season? Or the Alex Erickson? I realize some of that wasn't against first stringers and was against vanilla defenses but still I guess I really expected more. And I'm still pretty meh on the offensive line.

Most of all, I'm not feeling the coordinators right now at all. This sloppy play is on them.

Erickson didn't break any big plays but I didn't think he was too bad in punt returns (the first two were good, and then the third was meh).

Boyd wasn't given too many opportunities because AJ was going off, but he wasn't too bad in his limited opportunities. 
Reply/Quote