Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does this even feel like a win?
We all agree a win is a win and they needed this one, but this team needs some serious work. They were better last year and lost in the first round. I don't think teams are worried about playing them. If they get the run game going things could change. Plus Eifert coming back will help. But they just didn't look good, but again a ugly win is a win
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2016, 01:18 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Not straight ahead, but going forward more.  Starting Hill off running wide at an angle that's more going wide than forward just dooms Hill.

If you run at an angle, make Hill side step before he goes forward or is just at more of a forward angle.

It's not Hill's strength to go east and west and our line doesn't block well enough to give him time to turn it up field.  

2.1 yds. per run attempt is a terrible stat - especially against this team. I do blame the play calling and Hill continues to jig and jog instead of powering into the "hole" - assuming there is one. I like Gio on a sweep but not Hill. I thought Bodine did reasonably well against Suh - all things considered. The low snap was a disaster but could have been a turnover and wasn't. I didn't realize how slow Erickson is. Wow!!! I though he was in slo-mo.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2016, 03:35 AM)cincyfan429 Wrote: We all agree a win is a win and they needed this one, but this team needs some serious work. They were better last year and lost in the first round. I don't think teams are worried about playing them. If they get the run game going things could change. Plus Eifert coming back will help. But they just didn't look good, but again a ugly win is a win

How is this a ugly win.. we just beat a NFL team by 15 points which is rare in this league.. Here are comparing stats

15 point win
362 to 220 net yards (like 150 after first series)
19 to 8 first downs
0 turnovers to 2 turnovers
38 to 22 time of possession,

So please besides missing out on a couple TDs over field goals this was an ugly win ??

So I guess Seattle and New England were better wins, since Seattle beat Miami by 2 points and New England beat them by 7 points ????
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2016, 02:29 AM)Lawless_1 Wrote: Besides that 75 yard td pass in blown coverage our defense only gave up 66 yards.

Welcome back Vontaze.
That play sucked the air outta the stadium, and probably most if us watching on TV.... Great recovery by the D after that.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2016, 12:42 PM)jason Wrote: That play sucked the air outta the stadium, and probably most if us watching on TV.... Great recovery by the D after that.

I was listening to it on the radio I said to myself "is this really going to happen in prime time?" I'm glad we cleaned it up.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2016, 12:47 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: I was listening to it on the radio I said to myself "is this really going to happen in prime time?" I'm glad we cleaned it up.

3-2 in last five prime time games..  much improvement and you can see it in our stars.. Dalton and Green, much more relaxed on the big stage
Reply/Quote
Does this seem like a win? Of course it does, why wouldn't it?

This isn't last year's team with Eifert, Jones, Sanu and Hue calling plays. The defense is going to have to carry the team for a little stretch.

Considering this team has struggled to play well in the past on night games, I thought it was a great showing. Other than the one long play, this defense completely shut down the Dolphins. Nothing. They didn't even get to attempt a field goal. What does that tell you?

Offensively I liked some of the wrinkles that they put in for AJ. Granted, we have to cash in on the red-zone stuff, but the offense moved the ball very well.
Reply/Quote
My son and I will be at the game in Dallas!!!! Bengals will need to bring their A-game.
Reply/Quote
Were the dolphins really wearing those creamsicle uniforms? Sick
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2016, 01:15 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Wasn't happy that the offensive line struggled in run blocking.

Never got much of a push.

The Dolphins do have a tough defensive front, but we're going to face tough fronts.

The Bengals have faced four of the toughest defensive fronts in these first four games. They should not have as much trouble the rest of the year.

Jets - 3rd in lowest rushing YPC allowed
Steelers - 11th in lowest rushing YPC allowed
Dolphins - 10th in lowest rushing YPC allowed
Broncos - not doing great this year so far in run defense, but rated #1 in PFF's front-seven rankings coming into this season. They have traditionally been better, so I'm expecting they will be one of the better one too by year's end.

The Bills and Giants will be the most difficult teams to run on for the remainder of the year. The Bengals should do well against Washington, Houston, Dallas, and even NE.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-30-2016, 12:59 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: We dominated won by 15 in the NFL against any team is a good win...

The defense dominated.  Way too many miscues on offense connected with the OL.  Outside of Dalton/Green, there was no rhythm per say.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2016, 12:51 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The same problems are there, and yes those problems will get exposed against better teams.

But yes this still feels like a win. Most of the team showed up in a prime time game, so that's always encouraging.

We're going to beat shit teams like the Dolphins. Its when we go up against the teams we'll see in the playoffs is when we look exposed and lose.

I would've been really shocked if we lost last night against one of the worst teams in the NFL as of now. But the fact that we couldn't get in the end zone more than once is really telling. 
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2016, 12:51 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: I thought we dominated the game. We just need another red zone target. Zampese is horrible in the redzone. Seems like all he does is run run pass unless he's on the 1 then it's pass pass pass. We really need Eifert back. Once he's back I think that our offense will be a lot better. I'm hoping that Zampese does better in the redzone.

I don't know.  We were a bad pass and a tipped ball away from scoring 2 more touchdowns in the red zone and winning 30-7 - which would have been 30 - 0 if the safeties had not had the early fail.

Biggest problem is the execution up front, though I'm not sure our protections were as well set up as they might have been.  I'm not sophisticated enough to know.

I also loved running behind Fisher as the fullback last year.   He really detonated things and created significant push.  I don't know what is legal, but I'd love to see a formation that has Fisher, Hewitt and Hill lined up in the I.  Fisher gets the initial push and hole and Hewitt either handles whatever they throw into the hole next and Hill gets some momentum and plows through the hole.   Should be good for 1-2 yards every time.
Reply/Quote
Bottom line is we won, always a good thing, but for me it was one of the more boring wins that I can remember. I was also pretty tired so that might have been the problem with me anyway..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
It was only an "ugly" win in the sense that we had to settle for five field goals on six red-zone trips. All the same, winning by 14+ points is a good win. Take away that fluke play, and the Bengals defense basically shut Miami down completely. Could have just as easily been 22-0.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2016, 12:48 AM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: We did what we had to get get it done on primetime, sure.

But we're seeing the same damn problems.

Somtetimes these mini byes does wonders for football teams (texans last year).

Let's hope the Bengals get ready for another grind in Dallas.

Who Dey.

It feels exactly like a win because they added it to the one and not the two we had going in.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Winning ugly is a description.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2016, 01:36 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: The defense dominated.  Way too many miscues on offense connected with the OL.  Outside of Dalton/Green, there was no rhythm per say.

So now we are deciding that if one side of ball dominates and the other does ok.. that is a bad game... and you are complaining that we got the ball as much as we can to AJ.. Come On Man.... 

Bottom line.. the offense had the ball for 38 minutes. you don;t control the ball that long if your not doing anything on offense.. and lets not forget, more than winning on offense than having yards.

Zero turnovers, few penalities on offense.. we did not run terrible between the 25 yard lines, we ran terrible inside the 25 yard line.

In the end this was a solid overall game.. we dominated on defense, we have zero turnovers and few penalities and controlled the clock on Offense, special teams played fine... yes we did not run well but we ran good enough to move the chains and keep us in short situations.

I will take a 15 point win all day.. 
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2016, 05:51 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Winning ugly is a description.

if this win is ugly to you... than I want ugly rest of year  ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2016, 12:37 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: How is this a ugly win.. we just beat a NFL team by 15 points which is rare in this league.. Here are comparing stats

15 point win
362 to 220 net yards (like 150 after first series)
19 to 8 first downs
0 turnovers to 2 turnovers
38 to 22 time of possession,

So please besides missing out on a couple TDs over field goals this was an ugly win ??

So I guess Seattle and New England were better wins, since Seattle beat Miami by 2 points and New England beat them by 7 points ????
Don't forget Bengal 3rd down conversions were few and far between!
Reply/Quote