Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Dolphins wanted Burrow really, really bad…
Flores got the 'fins going before we starting clicking with Zac, I was getting jelly. Sure they had Tua but the first 2 seasons were winning seasons. It's a shame they didn't give the guy more chances. I suspect someone in the org. didn't like him for whatever reason.
(02-02-2022, 09:24 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: Flores got the 'fins going before we starting clicking with Zac, I was getting jelly. Sure they had Tua but the first 2 seasons were winning seasons. It's a shame they didn't give the guy more chances. I suspect someone in the org. didn't like him for whatever reason.

That’s the whole point of the lawsuit m. Flores thinks that “whatever reason” is because he’s black. Doesn’t make sense to me. Why would you care what color your coach is? If you’re racists against that, wouldn’t you want your players to not be black as well? I don’t get it.
We wanted him more. Poor Dolphins.
There's probably more than meets the eye about that lawsuit. Having lived in central and south Florida for 15 years total and having seen lots of Dolphin games, it seems like that franchise is mismanaged. The best thing they did recently, though was put that roof over the spectator parts of the stadium to keep people from cooking to death during games before Halloween.
(02-02-2022, 09:37 AM)Ell Prez Wrote: That’s the whole point of the lawsuit m. Flores thinks that “whatever reason” is because he’s black. Doesn’t make sense to me. Why would you care what color your coach is? If you’re racists against that, wouldn’t you want your players to not be black as well? I don’t get it.

The HC is the top of the creme of the 53 player team + other subordinate coaches. They are at the top of the pyramid,  with the FO as far as decision making and first hand information in most cases.  He probably felt they didn't think he belong in that top inner circle? who knows....
The team has the right to hire anyone they want, the Rooney rule while good in principal, doesnt guarantee anything other than securing a minority interview. Seems like the Giants hired who they wanted right away so they wouln't lose him to another team, which makes sense and OK. If the leak is true however, the Giants were careless (and maybe liable?) in divulging all that information out (that they've already hired their coach).

Its possible we also interviewed the chief's OC, forget his name, but had already "hired" Zac while the hiring process formalities were still ongoing.
(02-02-2022, 09:37 AM)Ell Prez Wrote: That’s the whole point of the lawsuit m. Flores thinks that “whatever reason” is because he’s black. Doesn’t make sense to me. Why would you care what color your coach is? If you’re racists against that, wouldn’t you want your players to not be black as well? I don’t get it.

Sounds to me like he's reaching for an excuse to sue them. All reports I have read say he was toxic with his coaches and management.
(02-02-2022, 09:58 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Sounds to me like he's reaching for an excuse to sue them. All reports I have read say he was toxic with his coaches and management.

He was hard to work with and had zero ties to the rest of the NFL. He struggled to put together any kinda staff after his coordinators quit after 2019. Chen Gailey unretired to become the OC only because Ryan Fitzpatrick asked him. Miami promoted the DC from within in 2020 and he last until this year then had to go with Co-Offensive Coordinators in 2021 after Gailey and Fitzpatrick left.

That is Brian Flores biggest issue no ties to the rest of the league. It's not a surprise he didn't get a HC gig... now a trumped up lawsuit against teams and the league will just lead to him getting black-balled.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(02-01-2022, 07:45 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:
When this didn’t work they reportedly called and offered us 3 1st rounders. We promptly hung up.

https://www.nfl.com/news/dolphins-were-willing-to-give-up-multiple-first-round-picks-in-2020-nfl-draft-fo

And I for one - couldn’t be more happy that we did. Big Grin

[Image: 220131095749-01-joe-burrow-chain-bengals...735&ssl=11]

that might be the end of Ross.
(02-02-2022, 10:10 AM)Synric Wrote: He was hard to work with and had zero ties to the rest of the NFL. He struggled to put together any kinda staff after his coordinators quit after 2019. Chen Gailey unretired to become the OC only because Ryan Fitzpatrick asked him. Miami promoted the DC from within in 2020 and he last until this year then had to go with Co-Offensive Coordinators in 2021 after Gailey and Fitzpatrick left.

That is Brian Flores biggest issue no ties to the rest of the league. It's not a surprise he didn't get a HC gig... now a trumped up lawsuit against teams and the league will just lead to him getting black-balled.

Yeah Employeers dont like when you sue them....

Yes he did get fired after a winning season but that doesnt matter if no one will work with you.

We have seen the last of Flores in the NFL in any capacity.. 
(02-02-2022, 10:29 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Yeah Employeers dont like when you sue them....

Yes he did get fired after a winning season but that doesnt matter if no one will work with you.

We have seen the last of Flores in the NFL in any capacity.. 

I tend to agree. I think he's had second interview with Houston and at least one with New Orleans. If he doesn't land one of those jobs, it's over for him. I do wonder if anyone will like him enough to stick by him as he goes through the lawsuit process?
(02-01-2022, 07:48 PM)CorpusChristiBengal Wrote: I sometimes wonder what would happen had Burrow never transferred, was taken probably in like the 6th and we selected probably Tua instead, it doesnt bear thinking about.

The pick would have been Herbert, then. I have zero doubts about that. 

The only time Mike Brown drafted a QB shorter than 6'3 was Andy Dalton and that was 100% Jay Gruden banging the table hard for him, since Mike Brown wanted 6'6, 240lb Ryan Mallett.

Joe Burrow: 6'4, 220
Ryan Finley: 6'4, 207
AJ McCarron: 6'3, 220
Andy Dalton: 6'2, 219
Carson Palmer: 6'5, 235
Scott Covington: 6'3, 217
Akili Smith: 6'3, 220
John Walsh: 6'4, 215
David Klingler: 6'3, 210

Mike Brown has a certainty of the body type he wants from his QBs, and Tua at 6'0" and 217lbs isn't it when 6'6, 237lb Justin Herbert was there.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
(02-01-2022, 07:45 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:
When this didn’t work they reportedly called and offered us 3 1st rounders. We promptly hung up.

https://www.nfl.com/news/dolphins-were-willing-to-give-up-multiple-first-round-picks-in-2020-nfl-draft-fo

And I for one - couldn’t be more happy that we did. Big Grin

[Image: 220131095749-01-joe-burrow-chain-bengals...735&ssl=11]

Then they passed on Herbert....
(02-01-2022, 08:12 PM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: Malik Wright really hit it on the head:

https://twitter.com/Wrightreportt/status/1488644397281513472

We're fortunate to have an owner with integrity. Say what you want: Mike Brown would never pull this shit.

I love that he truly seems to LOVE football. He has never treated the Bengals like a corporation. This isn't just money to him. He has always treated it like a Mom and Pop shop.

That, obviously, has caused many of the issues that the team has suffered through for so long. Not hiring a GM, not having enough scouts, not having an indoor practice facility etc. His refusal to sign a bad contract (like a fully guaranteed deal or anything like that) has made Cincinnati a Free Agent deadzone for a long time that relies on drafted players to take suboptimal contracts to remain. His loyalty to a fault, etc.

But it also makes him endearing. He is a fan, like all of us. And if you put a fan in charge of a team, they probably wouldn't be the best manager of that team, but they would almost always have their heart in the right place.

This may just be recency bias with us finally having success and he'll do something that will infuriate the fanbase in the near future, but right about now I think Mike Brown, while not being a good owner necessarily, is one of the few owners that seems to be a genuinely good person.

Which is a nice thing to realize about your team. Especially when other teams have guys like Dan Snyder and Stephen Ross making the decisions...
(02-01-2022, 08:49 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: I doubt it. I don’t think Joe is the prominent QB because he wouldn’t fall under that category being undrafted at the time. It’s likely a QB who was under contract for another team. Guessing Deshaun Watson

It seems to have been Brady.
https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/nfl-rumors-tom-brady-prominent-qb-mentioned-brian-flores-lawsuit

It makes sense. He was about to be a free agent and he has ties to Flores from their time together in New England. 

Quote:Tom Brady was the quarterback Stephen Ross allegedly wanted Brian Flores to meet in an alleged yacht meeting before Brady was a free agent according to a league source

Brian Flores admires and respects Tom Brady but didn’t want to tamper and also didn’t think it was the right time to recruit Brady considering the status of the Dolphins’ rebuild, which was intended to be a long-term plan, per source.
(02-02-2022, 10:10 AM)Synric Wrote: He was hard to work with and had zero ties to the rest of the NFL. He struggled to put together any kinda staff after his coordinators quit after 2019. Chen Gailey unretired to become the OC only because Ryan Fitzpatrick asked him. Miami promoted the DC from within in 2020 and he last until this year then had to go with Co-Offensive Coordinators in 2021 after Gailey and Fitzpatrick left.

I agree witha lot of this, but Hue Jackson jumping on the bandwagon today and claiming the Browns paid him to tank hurts the NFL's perception.  It basically makes it look like some teams are hiring African American HC's specifically to tank for draft position and then firing them as scapegoats.
Meh. Winning seasons dont mean anything with no playoffs.
The way they ended 2020 against the Bills with getting blown out in a win and in scenario. If that was Zac against the Steelers you all would've been screaming for his firing even more. Last year if it wasn't for the added game, he would've been just another Dolphins 8-8 coach.
(02-02-2022, 01:30 PM)Whatever Wrote: I agree witha lot of this, but Hue Jackson jumping on the bandwagon today and claiming the Browns paid him to tank hurts the NFL's perception.  It basically makes it look like some teams are hiring African American HC's specifically to tank for draft position and then firing them as scapegoats.

Some teams are going to come out of this looking very bad. We've all said teams purposely tank.... remember the "Suck for Luck" but all the NFL talking head adamantly deny this occurs. 
(02-02-2022, 01:30 PM)Whatever Wrote: I agree witha lot of this, but Hue Jackson jumping on the bandwagon today and claiming the Browns paid him to tank hurts the NFL's perception.  It basically makes it look like some teams are hiring African American HC's specifically to tank for draft position and then firing them as scapegoats.

Meh, also consider that both Flo and Hue were against the players protesting.

I'm just more upset that this happened right before our big game. 

Bring up race triggers people and they lose focus on the point. One of the points of the lawsuit is that the Dolphins brass were upset he didn't tank and assassination his character in order to fire him.

The race part comes from the Rooney rule failure and he has receipts from the text confirming the Giants had already decided on who they were hiring but need him to get round the Rooney rule. 

Also the race part comes from how coaches like he, Lovie Smith, old Lions coach, and even Houston coach don't get long leashes given the record they had when fired (with the exception of the Houston coach who had a bad record but certainly didn't deserve to be canned given what he walked into).

Also the number of African American coaches (that outweigh the number of non minority coaches) at the assistant coach level not really reflective the same way for the HC opportunities.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Good news is the MB being cheap narrative should help us as no one thinks MB would pay anything extra to tank!

Bad news is this will likely overshadow the Superbowl as National media begins to pick up on it and run with it.

But if it wasn't this, it would be the Brady retirement.

So any spotlight on the Bengals were overshadowed anyway. It wouldn't be the first time his happened during Superbowl week when all eyes are on the NFL.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22